PDA

View Full Version : Official: Cleric Guild Skills: Orisons

Fallen
12-27-2008, 09:02 PM
I've just gotten approval for my next major side project: a guild skill for Clerics, Cleric Orisons. It will allow the Cleric to perform all sorts of different prayers, rites, chants, etc. Many will be RP, but there will be some with mechanical benefits as well. To get an idea of our targeted usefulness of the skill, look at Rogue Gambits. We have a few ideas for useful little tricks, but I'd like to hear any ideas people have. These benefits would not be deity-specific, but general things Clerics could accomplish with a small prayer or ritual. There will be plenty of messaging that's deity-specific.

This skill will introduce a heavy amount of new messaging for Clerics to access. I'll be tapping our talented CE GMs for their creativity and may well also ask the player base for assistance as well. So if you ever happen to see or think of an action/prayer/chant/etc. that epitomizes a particular god, keep it saved and post it here.

I'm going to be honest here and state that this project is going to be ambitious. It's not the size of Alchemy, by any means, but it a guild skill nevertheless, and thus will require a substantial amount of work. This is also coming at a time in my life where I'm planning a wedding as well as writing my doctoral thesis, so work on this will be a little slow going. Please keep patient and bear with me. This is a project I've wanted to do for a very long time and I intend to see it through. I'll try to keep you posted at important milestones along the way.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome. :)

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team

Fallen
12-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Let the bitching about squandered resources begin!

Stretch
12-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Wasn't Oscuro the one coding the Minor Mental / Monk circles?

droit
12-27-2008, 09:23 PM
I guess my issue is that the other GMs don't seem to be nearly as productive as Oscuro and Estild. Cleric/Empath development is what Oscuro and Estild are supposed to be championing, so I can't get angry at them for doing their jobs. I think its awesome that clerics and empaths have been getting nifty updates this past year or so, but where's the love for the other professions?

Danical
12-27-2008, 09:38 PM
To be fair, Warriors got zerking updates, warcry updates, and benefit from the overall MStrike update.

They still blow the most but, eh, it went a long way to alleviating the gap.

Numbers
12-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Guildmaster Saranna says, "You still require 367 training points for me to teach you a new skill. This will include hundreds of hours of repetitious tasks, but you will most likely be wanting to kill yourself before then. Come back when you're ready. And don't forget our motto: Less tedium, more fun!"

Methais
12-28-2008, 12:59 AM
I've just gotten approval for my next major side project: a guild skill for Clerics, Cleric Orisons. It will allow the Cleric to perform all sorts of different prayers, rites, chants, etc. Many will be RP, but there will be some with mechanical benefits as well. To get an idea of our targeted usefulness of the skill, look at Rogue Gambits. We have a few ideas for useful little tricks, but I'd like to hear any ideas people have. These benefits would not be deity-specific, but general things Clerics could accomplish with a small prayer or ritual. There will be plenty of messaging that's deity-specific.

This skill will introduce a heavy amount of new messaging for Clerics to access. I'll be tapping our talented CE GMs for their creativity and may well also ask the player base for assistance as well. So if you ever happen to see or think of an action/prayer/chant/etc. that epitomizes a particular god, keep it saved and post it here.

I'm going to be honest here and state that this project is going to be ambitious. It's not the size of Alchemy, by any means, but it a guild skill nevertheless, and thus will require a substantial amount of work. This is also coming at a time in my life where I'm planning a wedding as well as writing my doctoral thesis, so work on this will be a little slow going. Please keep patient and bear with me. This is a project I've wanted to do for a very long time and I intend to see it through. I'll try to keep you posted at important milestones along the way.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome. :)

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team

In before someone suggests letting you strap 4723890 brimstone gems to yourself, run into a populated area, and activate them all while yelling MULAROS ACKBAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111 and blow up everyone in the room.

diethx
12-28-2008, 01:01 AM
In before someone suggests letting you strap 4723890 brimstone gems to yourself, run into a populated area, and activate them all while yelling MULAROS ACKBAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111 and blow up everyone in the room.

:rofl:

mgoddess
12-28-2008, 01:27 AM
While it may be a resource drain, Orisons have great potential.

One thing I'd love to see is for Clerics to be able to perform weddings and let the new couple have access to at least some of the verbs (and wedding rings) that Cathedral and WaveDancer weddings have.

thefarmer
12-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Staff will never give away something like that when they can charge a shitton for.

Danical
12-28-2008, 05:34 AM
Staff will never give away something like that when they can charge a shitton for.

Fact.

Danical
12-28-2008, 05:35 AM
Also, he said ". . . next major SIDE project . . ."

Maybe it's one of those things he does while a spell of MnM or part of Unarmed combat is in QC?

thefarmer
12-28-2008, 05:48 AM
I think side project is GM code for "random times like when I'm out and waiting for the waiter to bring my food and doodling on napkins to pass the time because conversation is slow.."

It's just a way to stop people bitching and asking when it's gonna get released.

RainyDay2080
12-29-2008, 09:42 AM
I think side projects are stuff they ask to be able to work on that's kinda their baby but that isn't part of their assigned work load for projects that are actual management goals. Like that player mail system. It was some GM's, Tilmont maybe?, side project that he asked to develop on his own time, but then never got finished. It wasn't a project that was a goal for the game assigned by a boss GM. I sure hope someone else finally picks it up and finishes it though!

RD

Fallen
12-29-2008, 09:45 AM
I am hoping the Armor Use updates were not a side project of Coase.

B2
12-29-2008, 10:02 AM
While it may be a resource drain, Orisons have great potential.

One thing I'd love to see is for Clerics to be able to perform weddings and let the new couple have access to at least some of the verbs (and wedding rings) that Cathedral and WaveDancer weddings have.

Maybe a new, small set of verbs would be okay. Using the old verbs will just cause the people who paid monies for them to bitch. Write them up and send them in, it can't hurt.

Maybe they can figure out a way to do an IC divorce/separating of the souls/removing of the verbs ritual.

thefarmer
12-29-2008, 10:05 AM
If they implement divorce verbs, I want empaths to get an abortion verb. And clerics to get a repel demon fetus verb.

edit: I would then roll up both and perform abortive exorcism on stupid bitches who claim to be pregnant. and go hunting in their form-fitting slinky black leathers. and heal people.