PDA

View Full Version : Spell Training

JARVISN
12-26-2008, 11:52 AM
How would you typicially train a ranged/Fu ranger in spells, figuring about 1x spell learning?

Do spiritual through 103 for quick defense then go up through the ranger circle for a while? Or is there a better approach?

Also, if you're planning on sniping, do you need a lot of stalking/hiding? or does 608 take care of most or our concealment needs?

Izzy
12-26-2008, 12:08 PM
How would you typicially train a ranged/Fu ranger in spells, figuring about 1x spell learning?

Do spiritual through 103 for quick defense then go up through the ranger circle for a while? Or is there a better approach?

Also, if you're planning on sniping, do you need a lot of stalking/hiding? or does 608 take care of most or our concealment needs?

I did 1x in the ranger circle all the way to 50, and threw extra points into MnS as I could (I got 103 pretty early but I didn't skip any ranger ranks to do so). I also don't train in hiding, because sniping isn't necessary. It will be a post-cap luxury for me, no doubt.

Edit: Some rangers hate on 650. I personally like it, but if you're hurting on DS you may want to stop at 640 and beef up MnS for 120. I don't need the extra DS 120 offers, so I'm just lollygaging my way up the spirituals. I have 650/108 at level 57, but I also have a pocket wizard and decent equipment so take it with a grain of salt.

JARVISN
12-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I did 1x in the ranger circle all the way to 50, and threw extra points into MnS as I could (I got 103 pretty early but I didn't skip any ranger ranks to do so). I also don't train in hiding, because sniping isn't necessary. It will be a post-cap luxury for me, no doubt.

So open ranged is sufficient? Why does everyone seem to recommend 2x ambushing? For targeting purposes? Or just for the AS bonus after 40 ranks? I believe in long term planning, but that seems to be a lot of TPs in ambush for a minimal return if ti's just for the AS.

JARVISN
12-26-2008, 12:51 PM
Edit: Some rangers hate on 650.

It'll be some time before I have to worry about it (Currently Lvl 12) but 605 sounds pretty cool.

Izzy
12-26-2008, 01:17 PM
So open ranged is sufficient? Why does everyone seem to recommend 2x ambushing? For targeting purposes? Or just for the AS bonus after 40 ranks? I believe in long term planning, but that seems to be a lot of TPs in ambush for a minimal return if ti's just for the AS.

I also have no ambush training ;)

JARVISN
12-26-2008, 01:39 PM
I also have no ambush training ;)

So you just stand out in the open and zing away?

Izzy
12-26-2008, 01:56 PM
So you just stand out in the open and zing away?

Yes. I'll post my training tonight when I get home from work.

Izzy
12-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Maodan (at level 57), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 170 70
Ranged Weapons.....................| 216 116
Brawling...........................| 216 116
Physical Fitness...................| 102 24
Dodging............................| 152 52
Arcane Symbols.....................| 102 24
Magic Item Use.....................| 102 24
Harness Power......................| 157 57
Spirit Mana Control................| 102 24
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 132 36
Survival...........................| 150 50
Perception.........................| 214 114
Climbing...........................| 90 20
Swimming...........................| 50 10
First Aid..........................| 35 7

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 7

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 50
Training Points: 108 Phy 0 Mnt (650 Phy converted to Mnt)

I'm slightly behind in dodge because I tossed most of my points the last couple levels into magical skills for more spellburst allowance in the keen, but that will catch up quickly.

kookiegod
12-26-2008, 04:35 PM
This is my new ranger I been working on...

Notice: Your training grace period is scheduled to end at 1/5/2009 12:46:26 CST (more than a week from now). When this time has passed, you will no longer be able to adjust your stats by checking in to an inn, and your skill migration will proceed at the normal rate (i.e., not accelerated like it is now).

(at level 10), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 58 12
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 102 24
Ambush.............................| 58 12
Physical Fitness...................| 58 12
Dodging............................| 58 12
Magic Item Use.....................| 58 12
Harness Power......................| 58 12
Perception.........................| 102 24
Climbing...........................| 58 12

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 9
Training Points: 46 Phy 0 Mnt (20 Phy converted to Mnt)

While using two handers right now (a 2x claid), but 1/5/2009, moving him to archery as you can see by the setup. I trying to get him to 12 by then so I can use the bow I got for him with some sick aiming on it.

Extra points will go into MIU to 20, I want to get arcane to 20, and then start from CM to get sweep.

I'll never understand hiding, i know why people do it, but its just a waste of time to me.

He's also in Sunfist, and rank 8 already, and already razed six warcamps, solo.

~Paul

Again, like Izzy, I got the best of everything, and a wizard so makes it a lot easier in the interest of full disclosure

graysun
12-27-2008, 11:20 AM

My rangers are learning spells in this order, except the Volner will stop at 125 instead of 130 or 140 if he ever makes it that far:

601, 103, 606, 619, 108, 640, 130, 650, (140 or 600's - not there yet)

I listed 606 separately because many rangers get it before 103. Some will say to skip minor spirits altogether in the beginning - but I hate to rely on others for spells, and 103 and 107 can be helpful in the early-mid levels.

As for hiding, archers don't need it. Only do it if you enjoy it. 608 will get you hidden, but I think perceptive critters will find you if you don't train in it.

DarkSorc
12-27-2008, 01:28 PM
I use open ranged attacks, I find stalking and hiding a little bit of overkill, and if you feel the need to hide just use 608 for the extra AS, but at 45 Im shooting with 330 AS with society signs. I just x2 perception/ambush and as for spells I am 20 in MnS and 30 in Ranger. But like Izzy said I have a capped wizard and sorc, so I kinda get a lot of spell love and have some decent gear as well

JARVISN
12-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Maodan (at level 57), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 170 70
Ranged Weapons.....................| 216 116
Brawling...........................| 216 116
Physical Fitness...................| 102 24
Dodging............................| 152 52
Arcane Symbols.....................| 102 24
Magic Item Use.....................| 102 24
Harness Power......................| 157 57
Spirit Mana Control................| 102 24
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 132 36
Survival...........................| 150 50
Perception.........................| 214 114
Climbing...........................| 90 20
Swimming...........................| 50 10
First Aid..........................| 35 7

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 7

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 50
Training Points: 108 Phy 0 Mnt (650 Phy converted to Mnt)

I'm slightly behind in dodge because I tossed most of my points the last couple levels into magical skills for more spellburst allowance in the keen, but that will catch up quickly.

I don't have a wizzie in my pocket, but spellups aren't that hard to come by, and I do have a decent abount of silver on hand from selling off my old Warrior stuff wen I returned to GS, so if I can find some decent equipment I ought to be OK.

I was gonna ask if you trained in any kind of backup weapon, but I see the brawling... are you a Volner, or just like fisticuffs? And what's all the Arcane and MIU about? Wands?

Izzy
12-28-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't have a wizzie in my pocket, but spellups aren't that hard to come by, and I do have a decent abount of silver on hand from selling off my old Warrior stuff wen I returned to GS, so if I can find some decent equipment I ought to be OK.

I was gonna ask if you trained in any kind of backup weapon, but I see the brawling... are you a Volner, or just like fisticuffs? And what's all the Arcane and MIU about? Wands?

Voln fu is all I use the brawling for. Brawling weapons suck. Magic ranks (MIU, AS) are for scrolls, imbeds, and spellburst limit.

Stunseed
12-28-2008, 04:01 PM
I went from level 0 to 640 at level 40.
I went from 40-70 to gain 130.
I went 70-79 to get 650.

I MIGHT get more Ranger ranks if I can figure out if it's worth the penalty to my redux. I cannot stress to you how important 640 is to you. 20 DS plus the out right block capability? That's good shit.

droit
12-28-2008, 05:22 PM
I MIGHT get more Ranger ranks if I can figure out if it's worth the penalty to my redux.

Stun, how many redux points do you have? If you have close to mine (485), we can compare your redux at 80 spells to mine at 101. I'd be very interested to know.

Stunseed
12-28-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm only at 420 or so.

That's with me only 1x in PF. I'm considering doing that with my PTP's and MIU/AS with MTP's.

JARVISN
12-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Voln fu is all I use the brawling for. Brawling weapons suck. Magic ranks (MIU, AS) are for scrolls, imbeds, and spellburst limit.

I keep hearing how great Voln-Fu is, but I gotta tell you, I'm trying Voln for the third time now and I hate it as much as I ever have. Undead, undead, and more undead. And THEN, even if I do stick it out and learn the Fu, I STILL have to kill undead to keep up my favor if I want to use it on living creatures.

Fuck this. I think I just finished talking myself out of Volning. I'm gonna head down to Solhaven and see what the DarkLighters or up to, or take up killing Grimswarm for a living.

droit
12-28-2008, 05:58 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: GoS is far and away the best society for rangers, both mechanically and for RP. Search for one of my many other rants about the benefits of Sunfist if you need convincing.

droit
12-28-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm only at 420 or so.

That's with me only 1x in PF. I'm considering doing that with my PTP's and MIU/AS with MTP's.

Well, let me know when you start getting close. Yours would be a very valuable data point to have.

JARVISN
12-28-2008, 07:09 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: GoS is far and away the best society for rangers, both mechanically and for RP. Search for one of my many other rants about the benefits of Sunfist if you need convincing.

OK, ya sold me already. Soon as I get to where I can hit the ground with an arrow, I'll be around to enlist.

droit
12-28-2008, 07:50 PM
OK, ya sold me already. Soon as I get to where I can hit the ground with an arrow, I'll be around to enlist.

I should seriously get a signing bonus for all these new members. I swear I do a better job than all of the dwarven recruiters combined, and I'm pretty sure they're on salary.

Izzy
12-28-2008, 11:10 PM
I keep hearing how great Voln-Fu is, but I gotta tell you, I'm trying Voln for the third time now and I hate it as much as I ever have. Undead, undead, and more undead. And THEN, even if I do stick it out and learn the Fu, I STILL have to kill undead to keep up my favor if I want to use it on living creatures.

Fuck this. I think I just finished talking myself out of Volning. I'm gonna head down to Solhaven and see what the DarkLighters or up to, or take up killing Grimswarm for a living.

I haven't hunted undead for probably 10 levels, and I use symbols every hunt. There are certain level ranges where it's super easy to just pound through undead and get tons of favor saved up.

JARVISN
12-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Joined GoS and gotta say I'm liking it so far. Haven't done any warcamps yet but I'm climbing ranks.

Just as an aside - I played a warrior for years before changing career tracks to ranger. The hardest thing so far is to remember I have combat skills available. Tangleweed is great for those regenerating troll types!