PDA

View Full Version : Thread of Favorite Wines

NocturnalRob
12-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Sort of a cross-over from the recipe thread, but I'd be interested to hear what other PC members had to say about different wines. I just tried a new chianti--Tenuta Santedame 2005--and it was delicious. At $18/bottle, it's definitely worth checking out.

Jahira
12-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Place in Iowa called the Amana Colonies make awesome wine. It is totally win

Moist Happenings
12-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Ooh, this is a good thread for this question.

I had a glass of a french dessert wine about 3 years ago. It was about 5 years old at that time I believe. It was something insane like $2500/bottle, but I've been trying to remember what it was ever since.

Any ideas?

diethx
12-20-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm not really a wine fan, although i've had some great sangria. There was also a sweet red I used to drink with a girlfriend of mine years ago that I loved, but I can't remember the name for the life of me. :(

thefarmer
12-20-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm having trouble believing a five year old wine cost $2500 a bottle.

Edit: I should be clear. I'm having trouble wanting to pay for wine that's just five years old.

Back
12-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Rosemont Shiraz out of Australia has always been a closer for me. Not too expensive either.

diethx
12-20-2008, 11:49 PM
When it's your hand you have to convince at the end of the night, i'd think a box of wine would work fine as a "closer".

Sean of the Thread
12-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Boons 95

Mad dog 94

thefarmer
12-20-2008, 11:52 PM
When it's your hand you have to convince at the end of the night, i'd think a box of wine would work fine as a "closer".

He even has to use roofies on his hand..

diethx
12-20-2008, 11:52 PM
He even has to use roofies on his hand..

lol

NocturnalRob
12-20-2008, 11:54 PM
You guys suck :(

diethx
12-20-2008, 11:55 PM
:heart: Rob

Allereli
12-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Jackson-Triggs 2006 Vidal Icewine

There's better but I can't afford it

diethx
12-20-2008, 11:57 PM
What is icewine? (i'm so not a drinker if you couldn't already tell)

Allereli
12-21-2008, 12:07 AM
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-ice-wine.htm

It's very, very sweet. the one I listed is about $20 at trader joe's, and that's the cheapest I can find. bottles are only 187 ml

diethx
12-21-2008, 12:09 AM
That sounds good, I might have to try it.

NocturnalRob
12-21-2008, 12:15 AM
bottles are only 187 ml

Fucking metric system...

Back
12-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Sorry about the disruption (not my fault!) but if you want a good, mellow red, try Roaring Meg Pinot Noir. Goes with just about everything.

Allereli
12-21-2008, 12:29 AM
my dad's wife can't get enough of the Chardonnay and Cabernet from White Hall, easiest Christmas present to get:

http://www.whitehallvineyards.com/

Allereli
12-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Fucking metric system...

yeah it's about a half a beer

Miscast
12-21-2008, 01:06 AM
Hess Estate cab 1998

Tisket
12-21-2008, 02:42 AM
I just don't have an educated palate I guess. I have yet to find a wine that doesn't taste like vinegar to me. I stick to beer.

BigWorm
12-21-2008, 03:58 AM
Rosemont Shiraz out of Australia has always been a closer for me. Not too expensive either.

Hess Estate cab 1998

I used to be a bartender and pretend sommelier and these were two of our most popular wines by the glass. Australia seems to be the place that Shiraz/Syrah grows the best and Australia is pretty up and coming all around. Hess is one of a my favorite cabs, but I've drank only newer vintages than 1998.

Sort of a cross-over from the recipe thread, but I'd be interested to hear what other PC members had to say about different wines. I just tried a new chianti--Tenuta Santedame 2005--and it was delicious. At $18/bottle, it's definitely worth checking out.

I could never get into chianti. I have had a couple good bottles paired with just the right meal, but its not a wine that I seek out.

Sorry about the disruption (not my fault!) but if you want a good, mellow red, try Roaring Meg Pinot Noir. Goes with just about everything.

I like to give pinot noir to people who like whites but want to get into reds. I can't remember the name of the vineyard, but I've had a few bottles of a really good pinot from Oregon.

I had a glass of a french dessert wine about 3 years ago. It was about 5 years old at that time I believe. It was something insane like $2500/bottle, but I've been trying to remember what it was ever since.

Any ideas?

Icewine is pure ridiculousness. I think 5 years is pretty much at the sweet spot for them because you're not supposed to keep them too long (10 years I think) due to the sugar breaking down and making the wine more acidic. I like a good desert wine but you've got to be fucked in the head to pay $2500/bottle.

Daniel
12-21-2008, 04:04 AM
I tend to like Cabernet and Syrah. I don't know specific brands (does barefoot count?) because I'm not really picky about anything.

Euler
12-21-2008, 08:21 AM

Any ideas?

That wine is called ... shit I can't spell it. Here it is phonectically (I don't know if I spelled phonetically right either)

de chem. Like dead minus the d and chemisty minus the istry.

the grapes are rotted with a special mold in a process called the "Noble Rot"
It was originally from Egypt, but there is only a small area in France where the original strain still exists. I have never seen a 750 ml bottle, but you can pick up a split for a couple hundred.

My recomendations:

For those who like reds with a soft buttery quality and not a ton of tannin
Deux Amis from Sonoma, cab 2005 or 2006. Mid range price.

Want something different? Cuve'e traditionnelle 200 from Oierre marie Chermette.

Or if you are brave, there are some fantastic Roses from the provance. Rose gets a bad rep, but try out a domestic from Meeker. Under $10 a bottle. So drinkable. I went to dinner at a local eatery. This was served with the amuse bouche. I was so turned off by it when it was being poured. It is called Pink Elephant. So cute of a title, I thought it would be gross. I bought a case. Gone in under a month. Not so much for winter, but when it gets warm again this is a great bottle of wine to just sip on.

Last but best:

Greatest wine ever made. 2002 Rex Hill Pinot Noir. I know Pinot got all trendy after sideways, but this one is really honestly good. Don't buy California Pinot Noir. Go one state north for that.

Also, the Two buck chuck from Trader joes IS NOT GOOD WINE. There was one year that had one batch that was better than the two dollar price tag. Every season since then it has been overpriced at $2. i only bring this up because I see people bringing it to wine parties because they read an article somewhere. Hey, if you like it, by all means enjoy it. But if you find yourself in a situation where you are going to a party with people who drink alot of wine and you bring that swill, they WILL be talking smack about you when you leave.

Of course, wine and taste are totally subjective. The important thing is to get stuff you enjoy. I hate being in Indiana where people think wine you can mix with sprite is enjoyable. :( ... but they sell a lot of it so....

Suppa Hobbit Mage
12-21-2008, 09:40 AM
I've got a few of each below (once I find something I like I go back and usually buy 3-6 more so I have it) in my basement that I like - a nice variety so I have something for each occasion. I'm not much of a wine drinker though, I get massive headaches if I drink too much (as in more than a few glasses).

I am more of a beer man, but for the beer man who takes out chicks who like wine... here you go. None of these, at least when I bought them, are more than 40 bucks a bottle. Most are in the 15-25 range. Also, you should know I am not a fan of most red wines. I prefer reislings and desert wines for the most part. I just get these others because 1) I can bear them, and 2) not everyone is a white wine drinker so I try to accomodate them.

Francis Coppola Sofia Rose 2007. Don't laugh, but Coppola makes a number of good and relatively cheap wines. This Rose is great with beef or pork I've found, or just casually sipping after a good meal. Like I said, it's cheap, but I do enjoy it.
Lolonis Ladybug Red Cuvee V. This is a pretty inexpensive red table wine. The price is right, and I honestly like it, so that's good enough for me :)
Hess Monterey Chardonnay 2006. I usually don't like Chardonnay's because of the "oaky" taste (if that's even a word). I did enjoy this one though, probably because it's got less oak taste.
False Bay Chenin Blanc 2006. South African wine good for fish and chicken, isn't as dry as most Blanc's I've had (and I don't like dry wines much).
Hopler Gruner Veltliner 2006. Austrian wine. Bottle says it's good with hors doeuvres, pasta, salads or as an aperitif - I like it with any light meal, but I am not a wine connoisseur, so maybe I'm fucking it up.
Glen Eldon Dry Bore Shiraz 2004. I've not actually had this yet, but I recall a friend telling me it was great. I read an article said the same thing so I got it. You are supposed to cellar it for about 5-6 years for it to mature a bit more.
Casa Lapostolle Sauvignon Blanc 2007. Good with asian food or seafood
Pata Negra Gran Reserva 2000. Red wine from Spain, good with just about anything I've found.
Black Tower Riesling 2005. I am normally a big fan of Riesling's, but this one did NOT do it for me. It was much dryer than other Riesling's I've had. So why did I list it? My company that likes reds REALLY enjoyed this, so maybe it's a good compromise.
RL Buller & Son Fine Muscat. Australian desert wine I've enjoyed a few times, sweet.
I have always enjoyed Icewines (especially having grown up in Germany where it's SO cheap compared to here). Unfortunately I've finished them all... I plan on restocking after the New Year.Oh, I almost forgot. I bought a wine called Earthquake Zin that I haven't tried yet. It's gotten good reviews and has something like 19% alcohol in it I think. I hope it's good stuff.

Gan
12-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Boone's Strawberry Hill - oh the memories...

and

Blackstone Merlot - when I'm grilling steaks and tomatoes
Peteroa Chardonnay - for pasta night (Peteroa used to make a zinfandel that was outstanding)
Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvingnon- for special occasions or treating clients
Folie A Deux Menage A Trois - hybrid red, great party wine
Wild Horse Pinot Noir - another great pasta (Chicken Marsala) wine

Neff, I'm betting that your dessert wine was ~$250 a bottle and it was:
CH D'Yquem Sauternes 1999 or thereabouts.

Silique
12-21-2008, 10:24 AM
My new favorite mid range wine:

2006 Thorn-Clarke "Shotfire" Cabernet Sauvignon Barossa

Valley South Australia

Valthissa
12-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Most wines today taste OK. Modern winemaking techniques allow wineries to make passable wine from almost any grape. If you spend $18 or more on a red wine it should not have any off flavors. I like cabernets, zinfandels, and sangiovese. Our current favorites are a 2005 Charles Krug cabernet and we are slowly working on our 2001 Tignanello.

Rob - Super Tuscans are chianti (sangiovese) on steriods, so if you liked chianti a Tignanello should be a revelation.

For dessert wines there is nothing like either a great vintage port (Taylor Fladgate '94) or a higher quality Sauternes (I have had the pleasure of tasting a Chateau d'Yquem but never owned any).

C/Valth

AnticorRifling
12-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Indiana has a winery (Olivers) and they make decent wines. I've yet to delve into reds, right now I'm a huge white wine fan and I love me some Reisling.

My wife doesn't drink wine at all so I don't tend to keep any on hand but eventually I'll get the storage to adequately house a few bottles.

Jorddyn
12-22-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm not a huge wine drinker, but when I do, it's typically shiraz/syrah.

Blackstone and Bogle both make drinkable bottles for about $10. For a couple bucks more, there's Estancia (sp?). That's about as high class as I get.

I'm not a fan of whites unless it's a super-sweet dessert wine - and even then, I'll barely finish a glass.

Cephalopod
12-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Not a big fan of wine, except for cooking. But, you can't go [too] wrong with Two Buck Chuck... (although it's five-buck Chuck where I live)

wood1559
12-22-2008, 02:44 PM
I'll add acouple...
04 Stag's Leap Winery Nine Points Cabernet
05 David Bruce Pinot Noir
anything from Robert Sinskey Vineyards

Sean
12-22-2008, 02:55 PM
I tend to like Siena Chiantis but mainly due to memories and experiences than me really knowing what I'm talking about.

NocturnalRob
12-22-2008, 03:00 PM
I tend to like Siena Chiantis but mainly due to memories and experiences than me really knowing what I'm talking about.

was he gentle?

Euler
12-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Indiana has a winery (Olivers) and they make decent wines.

I just moved to B-town. Everyone kept telling me about Oliver. I drove over there after about nine months because I thought, "How bad could it be?"

The lady doing the tasting seriously advised using three of their wines as a mixer for sprite. I mean come on. Also the "fall harvest collection?" Disgusting. They had cherry, apricot, and mango wine? Forget for a second about mangos being a fall crop in Indiana... I thought there would be like cherry undertone or a hint of cherries in the finish or something. No, it tasted like they disolved a jollyrancher in piss. The good thing is that it is a fantastic place to take people when they visit from back home. It is a whole weekend worth of laughing.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
12-23-2008, 02:31 AM
Not a big fan of wine, except for cooking. But, you can't go [too] wrong with Two Buck Chuck... (although it's five-buck Chuck where I live)

Dude... I should neg rep you for this! Two Buck Chuck had ONE good year, and then all the yuppies thought the name was cool and because they read in wine enthusiast it was good once, they think they know what they are getting. I forget the year but that was it for me anyway. I (being a yuppie) went back and tried it again, but got the next year which may as well have been Thunderbird/Boones/MD/etc... You get what you pay for sometimes.

Allereli
01-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Carroll's Mead (sweet honey wine)

Mistomeer
01-23-2009, 09:28 PM
My two favorites are probably Hoopes Cab and Cakebread Chardonnay. They can both be difficult to find, but they're not too expensive and suit my taste.

Clove
01-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Mommy I wanna go to Miami!

TheRunt
01-25-2009, 07:13 AM
Indiana has a winery (Olivers) and they make decent wines. I've yet to delve into reds, right now I'm a huge white wine fan and I love me some Reisling.

My wife likes the mead. And for a desert wine the gerwurswhateverthefuckitis is pretty decent but I'm not a big fan of sweet wines, except a good ruby port.

Speaking of ports anyone have a suggestion for a good '94 port? I had a bottle for my sons 21st birthday but it fucking broke in the last move also a '06 for my daughter?

Valthissa
01-25-2009, 09:18 PM
My wife likes the mead. And for a desert wine the gerwurswhateverthefuckitis is pretty decent but I'm not a big fan of sweet wines, except a good ruby port.

Speaking of ports anyone have a suggestion for a good '94 port? I had a bottle for my sons 21st birthday but it fucking broke in the last move also a '06 for my daughter?

From where I sit typing this I can see two bottles of Taylor Fladgate 1994 vintage porto (it says bottled in 1996 on the label). It is without question the best port I have had in my life. It should age at least another 10 years (and can go for a hundred years or longer if kept well) but I doubt our remaining bottles will make it even 10.

Any vintage port from 1994 is going to be quite expensive - good luck and enjoy.

C/Valth

AnticorRifling
01-25-2009, 09:20 PM
What makes 94 such an expensive year?

firegirl
01-25-2009, 11:05 PM
I try to taste different wines but seem to always end back to a good italian one. A couple I have come across that might peek someone's interest...

Adamas Nuit-St.George 2005 : Very dry french burgundy that is so light to drink.

Sassicaia - One wine I have come across that is good only being aged 2-3 years but has a hefty pricetag.

Banfi - any of the Brunellos they make at all different price ranges are great.

If you want something similar to ice wines.. you can try Vin Santo (Ruffino Chianti has a good one), Malvasia (naturally sweet grape wine) or Inniskillin Reisling Icewine.

Methais
01-25-2009, 11:22 PM
http://www.made-in-england.org/images/box_of_wine.jpg

Valthissa
01-26-2009, 09:21 AM
What makes 94 such an expensive year?

Some say it was the vintage of the century (there is debate among people who take this sort of thing seriously) so supply/demand drives the price. For someone that is a serious consumer of port, it is the kind of vintage where you would like to buy a case and drink a bottle every 5 years to watch it develop.

For reference, it looks like the Taylor Fladgate is running around $200 a bottle now.

C/Valth

Warriorbird
01-26-2009, 09:36 AM
94 lots of things is pretty brilliant.

Fallen
01-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Sutter Home White Zinfandel!

Seriously, I know that is bottom of the barrel stuff but that was the first wine I tasted that I acutally enjoyed. Since then i've found others I liked. I particularly enjoy a lot of what Linganore has to offer: http://www.linganore-wine.com

I've been to tastings there, which are a lot of fun. They have a lot of very sweet wines. I can't drink dry wine. Taste like blood tinged piss.

Allereli
05-31-2009, 07:43 PM
I met a couple last night whose family runs this vineyard: http://www.divinellamavineyards.com/home.html

I liked the name.

I've been drinking: http://www.spanishsangria.com/ bottles are $4 at Harris Teeter

4a6c1
06-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I love australian shiraz. Almost any. So smooth. Right now I am a big fan of Goats Do Roam Reds. So maybe I'm a South African convert. That wine is so bitter you make faces. Mmmm. Cheap but I like it. :)

My Mom drinks Sutter Home Zinfadel! I dont like it. It tastes like ?nothing?. Wine should kick your ass into taking a bite of cheese or something. Thats just how I feel. But that is what seperates the the white from red people, I guess.

NocturnalRob
06-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Right now I am a big fan of Goats Do Roam Reds...That wine is so bitter you make faces. Mmmm. Cheap but I like it. :)
if you like it, then that's all that really matters. unfortunately, you're drinking horse piss. but hey, to each their own.

My Mom drinks Sutter Home Zinfadel! I dont like it. It tastes like sweaty yak balls.
fixed

Wine should kick your ass into taking a bite of cheese or something.
false

But that is what seperates the the white from red people, I guess.
umm...also false.

LMingrone
06-01-2009, 01:26 PM
For some reason everytime I see wine in my home it's this garbage:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l289/stgreer/Theme%20Pics/Carlo_Rossi.jpghttp://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m142/jennlo83/franzia.jpg

I guess that's what you get for having young siblings/cousins who like to drink. I'll stick with my booze. Although, I do like a nice glass of good red wine every now and then. Shit gives me headaches though.

Asha
06-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Right now, any will be my favourite.

Stanley Burrell
06-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Right now, any will be my favourite.

^

Favorite or favourite, I'm desperate.

4a6c1
06-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Rob, you tool. You cant just say 'false' you have to give a little background and say WHY. You lose at conversation.

And my poor mother. She is going to ask why I laugh while I pour her wine and I cant tell her. :(

Jayvn
06-01-2009, 02:29 PM
There's an awesome winery near where Sadrae lives(defuniak florida), they use muscadine grapes instead of regular grapes so the wine has that scupperling flavor.. Only those who have eaten these grapes understand how incredible that flavor is.
I generally dislike merlots. white zin is good alone, white roxxors with non fried chicken dinners. plum wine and sake mixed half and half are nice. A pretty good esp for being super fucking cheap is yaho Sant' gria yes I know it's not called sangria.. it's really damn smooth.
Also I just got a bottle of O'reilly's white chocolate irish cream, it's made with a white wine base instead of whiskey like regular irish creams.. it's worth putting on some vanilla ice cream.

NocturnalRob
06-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Rob, you tool. You cant just say 'false' you have to give a little background and say WHY. You lose at conversation.
Okay. Wine pairs with a number of different things, depending on the grape, the blend, the varietal, the country of origin, the vineyard, etc etc et-fucking-cetera.

To say that "wine should kick your ass into taking a bite of cheese or something" is about as fucking moronic a statement about wine as I've ever heard. That would be like someone smelling a glass of wine and saying, "Would you check out that bouquet!"

And I don't even know where to begin about "what separates white from red people," because that actually tops the aforementioned "ass-kicking" statement on the retard-meter.

Bhuryn
06-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Okay. Wine pairs with a number of different things, depending on the grape, the blend, the varietal, the country of origin, the vineyard, etc etc et-fucking-cetera.

To say that "wine should kick your ass into taking a bite of cheese or something" is about as fucking moronic a statement about wine as I've ever heard. That would be like someone smelling a glass of wine and saying, "Would you check out that bouquet!"

And I don't even know where to begin about "what separates white from red people," because that actually tops the aforementioned "ass-kicking" statement on the retard-meter.

You'd make a perfect poster boy for the typical pompous asshole wine snob. :love:

NocturnalRob
06-01-2009, 04:03 PM
You'd make a perfect poster boy for the typical pompous asshole wine snob. :love:
why? because i appreciate wine? because i don't drink it out of a box? i don't limit myself to wine, but I appreciate the nuances that are inherent to a good bottle. i can also appreciate the multi-layered complexities of a good irish whiskey or the hoppy nose of an IPA.

you'd make a perfect poster boy for the typical close-minded jerkoff who thinks the only people who drink wine are homosexual or foreigners.

you can take your :love: and shove it up your ass. i'd be happy to drink you under the table any time you want. shots of Beam, Cuervo, Jack, whatever, since apparently wine is too beneath you.

Bhuryn
06-01-2009, 04:21 PM
why? because i appreciate wine? because i don't drink it out of a box? i don't limit myself to wine, but I appreciate the nuances that are inherent to a good bottle. i can also appreciate the multi-layered complexities of a good irish whiskey or the hoppy nose of an IPA.

you'd make a perfect poster boy for the typical close-minded jerkoff who thinks the only people who drink wine are homosexual or foreigners.

you can take your :love: and shove it up your ass. i'd be happy to drink you under the table any time you want. shots of Beam, Cuervo, Jack, whatever, since apparently wine is too beneath you.

You make my point perfectly. You should probably reread my post though (it's short you can handle it) since I didn't call you any of those things, nor did I say I don't appreciate wine.

That said:

I drink Johnny blue, Crown SR or Bushmills/Limited Jamesons depending on my mood. I Don't rub in the fact that I pay upwards of $200 a bottle in the face of the guy that enjoys his bar pour kentucky's best though. Try alittle less snobbery next time -- it's just wine and you're not even the one drinking it.

I doubt you'd stand a chance against my norse stomach though, we're bred for it.

:hug2:

Jorddyn
06-01-2009, 04:27 PM

Marry me.

NocturnalRob
06-01-2009, 04:35 PM
dude...i can pretty much guarantee you're the type of person who drinks Johnny Blue precisely so you can say that you drink Johnny Blue.

Also:
if you like it, then that's all that really matters.
Maybe you should go back and reread everything. I've quoted it so you don't hurt your brain sifting through strings of words.

This is why the PC is great. People get all butthole hurt over the most ridiculous things. Someone wants to drink boxed wine? I don't give a shit. I'm simply trying to express the fact that there are options out there--CHEAP options--that they might enjoy trying other than, FOR INSTANCE, Sutter Home or Goats Do Roam. Try reading the first post of this thread where I suggest an $18 bottle of chianti.

It's only when douchebags like you get all defensive (unnecessarily) about people with opinions on wine--OMG YOU'RE SO SNOBBY BECAUSE YOU ENJOY WINE--that I get pissed off. I can count the number of times on one hand that I've spent over $200 on a bottle of wine. You know why? Because there are so many bottles of great wine to be had on the cheap.

That all being said, go fuck yourself. I'll continue to poke fun at people for drinking shit. You can continue to get pissy because you disagree and call me a wine snob (which is probably the farthest thing from the truth).

Also, Crown SR tastes like sugared ass. Jameson Limited is ok, but I prefer the 18-year Masters over the 15-year Limited. The finish on the Limited...meh.

Marry me.
happily, dear.

AnticorRifling
06-01-2009, 04:49 PM
I haven't developed a taste for the real dry shit yet. I still think Oliver's has some great wine and it's local.

Bhuryn
06-01-2009, 05:10 PM
You should try Bushmills 10yr, it's good and only like $35 for a 750ml. I do like German Gewürztraminer(s?).

It's only when douchebags like you get all defensive (unnecessarily) about people with opinions on wine--OMG YOU'RE SO SNOBBY BECAUSE YOU ENJOY WINE--that I get pissed off.

I never called you a snob for drinking wine. I called you a snob because you called someone's wine horse piss and said it tasted like sweaty yak balls in a single thread. That's pretty much wine snob territory. Untimatly I wasn't serious (never really am) so you can calm down before you have an whine(pun?)-induced Aneurysm.

Sounds like you could use some wine about now.

dude...i can pretty much guarantee you're the type of person who drinks Johnny Blue precisely so you can say that you drink Johnny Blue.

Not that it matters, but I actually drink Johnny Blue in memory of a friend that was obsessed with it back when we couldn't afford a bottle. He never got his bottle thanks to a trip to Iraq.

NocturnalRob
06-01-2009, 05:20 PM
You should try Bushmills 10yr
Not my favorite, but definitely drinkable.

I never called you a snob for drinking wine. I called you a snob because you called someone's wine horse piss and said it tasted like sweaty yak balls in a single thread.
have you tried either of those? seriously. next time I'll temper my insult with a suggestion of another wine she could try that wouldn't put her out too much money while concurrently allowing her to not wake up with a pounding headache.

Sorry about your friend.

Bhuryn
06-01-2009, 05:31 PM
have you tried either of those? seriously. next time I'll temper my insult with a suggestion of another wine she could try that wouldn't put her out too much money while concurrently allowing her to not wake up with a pounding headache.

Can't say that I have, my wife drinks $6.00 bottles of moscato from the grocery store though. It's bad but she likes it -- mostly because she won't let me buy her anything better so she has no reference point.

4a6c1
06-01-2009, 11:27 PM

Thats better. I like your truth, even though it is colored grey.

Call me a moron and put me on the tard meter but Red is suppost to be BITTER. You should cough a little in the back of your throat after a sip. Then when it is on your pallet and you take another swig you should feel the heady slow sense that someone is smoking a cigar in your mouth. Swallow. Inhale. The cigar smells like fire burning. Is that cedar? It is rich and earthy. You can almost feel the black earth that brought this grape to you. Smooth, bitter and confident. Before you know it you are drowsy and you need something rich and milky to soak up the feeling that the earth invaded your mouth. That is what I am talking about. If you cant indulge yourself into that glass of wine long enough to let it put you somewhere else, why are you drinking it?

I drink red. White doesnt have enough character for me.

^--RED PERSON.

Dont like labels? Live naked. Be a rebel. But post pictures.

Back
06-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Wine is a taste thing. Just like anything.

To denigrate someone on their wine choice is poor etiquette. To suggest and pour a good wine for the uninitiated is a courtesy.

Back
06-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Thats better. I like your truth, even though it is colored grey.

Call me a moron and put me on the tard meter but Red is suppost to be BITTER. You should cough a little in the back of your throat after a sip. Then when it is on your pallet and you take another swig you should feel the heady slow sense that someone is smoking a cigar in your mouth. Swallow. Inhale. The cigar smells like fire burning. Is that cedar? It is rich and earthy. You can almost feel the black earth that brought this grape to you. Smooth, bitter and confident. Before you know it you are drowsy and you need something rich and milky to soak up the feeling that the earth invaded your mouth. That is what I am talking about. If you cant indulge yourself into that glass of wine long enough to let it put you somewhere else, why are you drinking it?

I drink red. White doesnt have enough character for me.

^--RED PERSON.

Dont like labels? Live naked. Be a rebel. But post pictures.

If you like big reds I’m guessing you also like dark chocolate. They go great together.

4a6c1
06-02-2009, 12:06 AM
I cant do sweet with my reds. It is hard reds or nothing and not much goes with that. When I drink wine it is just to taste the wine, not food, or dessert. The only thing that seems to complement a hard red is dairy. At least thats my go.

Bhuryn
06-02-2009, 12:10 AM
The only thing to pair with any wine is sex in my opinion.

Back
06-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Do what you want with it. Sharp Cheddar, Asiago, maybe a briney St. Andre.

Like I said, everyone has different tastes.

4a6c1
06-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Ok. So I had a good one tonight. It is a shock to the senses and tangy going down. If you focus on the swig you taste oak and something else hard and tangible. After a few sips I realized the tangy was !berrys! and then I could make out some spices too.

Sebeka Shiraz South Africa - Western Cape 2006

IT HAS A SPOTTED CORK. Haha. Winner!

The taste of the Shiraz was so overpowering I paired it with mozzerella squares, boiled egg and green olives stuffed w/ garlic.