PDA

View Full Version : Newbies

GSLeloo
02-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Ok I may be pretty OOC but even for me this was too much. Here are the highlights of these two idiots at the cul-de-sac.

Naghavi asks, "Well maybe go do stuff w/ that sprite for some XP?"
>
Naghavi says, "Or try these rats."

Naghavi says, "Type put [weapon] in pack."
>push fish
That would accomplish nothing.
>poke nag
You poke Naghavi in the ribs.
>
Naghavi says, "No put [weapon] in my pack."

You quietly whisper to Naghavi, "Do that in whispers."
>

(My whisper was nicely ignored)

Naghavi asks, "How do i do that?"
>
Rawn searches around for a moment.
>whisper nag Me?
You quietly whisper to Naghavi, "Me?"
>look in fish
Rawn asks, "Type cheer?"

Naghavi says, "Then type kill rat, to kill rat, then type stance def to be in defensicve stance ASAP."

>
Naghavi says, "Ok type stance off to be in offensive stance."
>

Naghavi says, "Lol."

DaMaGe
02-02-2004, 07:44 PM
Dismemberment. Now. Before it's too late.

-Adam

DaMaGe
02-02-2004, 07:47 PM
Alright. Sorry, that was a knee-jerk reaction.

There's really nothing more you can do besides continue to let them know that it's not accepted behavior to speak about mechanics and such aloud. Keep plugging away at it and hope thay get a clue.

-Adam

Skirmisher
02-02-2004, 08:03 PM
In all honesty, I would most likely have taken them in a group to a quiet spot and explained first....how to whisper and then some of the basics....just whispering to people who are clearly new will most likely just end up with both you and they being incredibly frustrated.

GSLeloo
02-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Well it wasn't like I was going to yell at them. I just whispered to that one person twice that you should not say those things allowed and they simply ignored me.

Skirmisher
02-02-2004, 08:14 PM
They may well have been a little bit overwhelmed by everything.

When I first began I was SOOOO lost it was comical.

When I try new RPGs I dread beginning as it as always so confusing to me.

Of course they may simply really have been ignoring you, we can't know for sure one way or the other.

Xcalibur
02-02-2004, 08:35 PM
99% of people like that are in ff11, star wars galaxies and such.

It's just normal to get new players like that, now.

Galleazzo
02-03-2004, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I'd react so well to being poked in the ribs and told "Do that in whispers." A little actual politeness might have worked.

GSLeloo
02-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Would you rather I webbed her? She was being an idiot and I was trying to be polite while ignoring it.

Methais
02-03-2004, 04:36 PM
<<Naghavi says, "Lol.">>

That's always the worst when people SAY "lol" in a game that acutally has a LAUGH command.

This guy's probably an exception since he seems like a real noob, but I see people that have been around for years still do it.

And no Leloo you shouldn't web them. Kill them instead. :-d

Hasina
02-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Hopefully they'll wise up soon, or else gemstone will not be a very comforting place for them. Though, honestly, where was a mentor when they came out? I mean, I've taught friends how to play and I'll tell you, first thing they knew to do was to whisper to me.

Hasina
02-03-2004, 05:03 PM
You hear the subdued thoughts of Varias echo in your mind:
"does 712 stack?"

If he can cast 712, he really shouldn't be asking on the net that way. I hate, hate, hate, hate it when people use the spell number (which is more like a code) than the spell name. The spell isn't called 712, God Dammit!

Methais
02-03-2004, 05:05 PM
Half the time the mentor net reads something like this:

"Soandso is ringing the bell can someone get it?"

GSLeloo
02-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Luckily I have not had the blessing to see those two idiots again. I swear, if I didn't have the fish to distract me I would've done something. But I can't even stun them because of that stupid sanct.

The Cat In The Hat
02-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Wow... I havnt seen a REAL newbie in a year or more, that I know of anyway. I would have been actually glad to know they were new and had taken them under my wing. I miss being able to do that these days, most of the young characters are old characters in new bodies and you hand them 5x armor their older characters profit. Thats unfortunatley why i stopped.

Cat

Bobmuhthol
02-03-2004, 06:40 PM
To answer the question, yes, 712 stacks.

Galleazzo
02-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by GSLeloo
Would you rather I webbed her? She was being an idiot and I was trying to be polite while ignoring it.
No, maybe I'd rather you said "Please." Or maybe a whisper of "Excuse me, but talking like that in the open in Gemstone is out-of-character and it isn't allowed. You have to whisper that information" Just because you could've been ten times more jerky doesn't make it polite.

Oh, yeah, if you feel like stunning newbies who don't know any better just 'cause they're not bowing and scraping, good thing there IS a sanct there, and what are you doing there anyway?