PDA

View Full Version : Season 5 starts on 12/16?

Atlanteax
12-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Looks like Season 5 starts tomorrow on the 16th?

And apparently PvE'ers have an early edge over PvP'ers. =/

http://www.arenajunkies.com/showthread.php?t=49943

Ashliana
12-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Looking forward to seeing the new equipment, but I'm not hoping for much in the Arena. I personally used to love the battlegrounds, but when they dropped the rankings and then the Arena came out, seemed like all the decent players hopped off the BGs. I just can't stand the Arena, and these days every time I go into a BG, people are running around aimlessly ignoring the objectives or falling for really stupid tactics, such as people taking the tanks in Strand of the Ancients and chasing a paladin across the beach so he can bubble..

Keller
12-15-2008, 02:04 PM
People who can't stand arenas are either: (1) bad at arenas or (2) still trying to play a healadin.

Some Rogue
12-15-2008, 02:15 PM
I played Strand of the Ancients for the first time this past weekend and that game is fun as hell.

Ashliana
12-15-2008, 02:52 PM
People who can't stand arenas are either: (1) bad at arenas or (2) still trying to play a healadin.

Meh. My team did pretty well, but it was more trouble than it was worth. Fighting the same team compositions over and over and over again got really boring and there was just too much coordination/preparation necessary to still be "fun" in my mind. Unlike raiding, where I enjoy the prep/execution, I like being able to just jump into it PVP randomly, and not rely on anyone but myself--too bad there's no complete FFA mode. That would be hectic, but AoE would be a little unfair.

I just seem to have bad luck in the battlegrounds.. end up with all the terrible 80s that couldn't manage to find themselves a guild that would accept them. Most of my friends are complete carebears and don't enjoy PVP on any level, but I've got a ret pally friend I occasionally cut a swath with.

oldanforgotten
12-15-2008, 03:00 PM

Or are casters trying to play against deathknight/prot war teams. Or are casters playing against sub rogue/sub rogue teams.

Keller
12-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Meh. My team did pretty well, but it was more trouble than it was worth. Fighting the same team compositions over and over and over again got really boring and there was just too much coordination/preparation necessary to still be "fun" in my mind. Unlike raiding, where I enjoy the prep/execution, I like being able to just jump into it PVP randomly, and not rely on anyone but myself--too bad there's no complete FFA mode. That would be hectic, but AoE would be a little unfair.

I just seem to have bad luck in the battlegrounds.. end up with all the terrible 80s that couldn't manage to find themselves a guild that would accept them. Most of my friends are complete carebears and don't enjoy PVP on any level, but I've got a ret pally friend I occasionally cut a swath with.

What class do you play?

Some Rogue
12-15-2008, 03:56 PM
What class do you play?
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/lrenzo2/almobear1.jpg

Atlanteax
12-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Or are casters trying to play against deathknight/prot war teams. Or are casters playing against sub rogue/sub rogue teams.

Just going to have to remind myself that just not going to be able to always win a match if I and partners out-skill the opponent ... and that some class combinations will be "auto-win" against others (unless they're geniunely terribad players).

I had a rough go at it as a Healing Paladin in S3/S4 (didn't really get into it until late in S2).

I probably will only play the Paladin in 5mans (primarily to protect the Priest) ... and focus on my Feral Druids in 2v2 and 3v3.

It'll be nice that feral druids won't be "lolwhut" in Arenas now (at least not as much) with the improved mangle and beserk and a pseudo last-stand.

oldanforgotten
12-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Paladins should be largely equalized against melee, although why you'd prefer being a healadin in arena over ret is odd. Ret Pallies are pretty sick now.

At least early on, it seems that at least there are no complete OP combos that work against everything.

in BC, 2's was all about 4 combinations. Warrior-Druid, Mage-Rogue, Lock-Druid, and Hunter-Druid. Specifically resto druids had an easy time getting into the 2100 and up brackets. 3's was all about either Warrior-Rogue-Druid, Priest-Mage-Rogue, Warrior-Priest-Druid, Warrior/Rogue - Enh Shaman, Holy Pally, or Lock-Hunter-Druid. 5's was basically all about cleave or Eurocomp variations.

Now, it seems a bit more equalized, except for Priests. They just get exploded.

Early on, the best comps seems to be deathknight - prot war, sub rogue sub rogue, ret pally-deathknight, and hunter-sub rogue. I'm sure that will change once people have enough resilience to be able to withstand the burst, but with melee classes definitely having more ease of movement with talents, I can see a bit of a dry spell incoming for casters, especially against deathknight teams. Grip-AMZ with a partner that can stun is basically a 3-4 second death for any caster.

Kyra231
12-15-2008, 07:23 PM

Or a priest.

Keller
12-15-2008, 07:33 PM
I played a priest and pally, disc and holy respectively, to 2k+.

Pally was FAR more infuriating than the priest. If I lost on my priest, I could usually track the loss to a mistake on our part or a really smart play on the other team's part.

If I lost on my pally it's because the other team had (a) a mage, (b) a warlock, (c) a priest, (d) a druid, or (e) two mages/warlocks.