PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Plotter

Drunken Durfin
12-14-2008, 07:02 PM
I can't get the map for Nelemar Temple to show up with Atlas Plotter.

C:\PsiNet\Maps\TI-nelemar.gif

Is this a coding issue with the combo box for Plotter, or something to do with the file name structure, or what?

Methais
12-14-2008, 07:38 PM
I have to manually switch to it too when I'm using atlas.

Mathari
12-14-2008, 08:42 PM
I can't get the map for Nelemar Temple to show up with Atlas Plotter.

C:\PsiNet\Maps\TI-nelemar.gif

Is this a coding issue with the combo box for Plotter, or something to do with the file name structure, or what?
I've been bothered by this same issue, and as far as I can tell, it's hard-coded. If that's not the case, I'd love to know it!

phantasm
12-15-2008, 12:25 AM
You can't plot on maps that Jamus hasn't approved/made coordinates for can you?

SpiffyJr
12-15-2008, 12:35 AM
I couldn't get the rogue's guild one to work which seems like a large oversight to me.

Drunken Durfin
12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Well, I finished mapping Nelemar (minus the swim) and will plot it once Atlas Plotter allows me to load the map.

phantasm
12-15-2008, 09:39 PM
I wish there was a way to do this. There must be some extra data that Jamus had to put in with each map, which made it so he couldn't allow just any map to be opened and plotted. If he ever gets around to changing something with psinet again. I hope this will be priority #1.

StJimmy
12-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I checked with him ages ago because I wanted to plot The Ravelin that I mapped, he said it's hardcoded and you can't plot maps which haven't been approved. Annoying.

Junsea
01-28-2009, 07:54 PM
anyone have a map of the mino's area that works with psinet?

Junsea

phantasm
01-28-2009, 10:48 PM
The Elanthian Geographic Society is going to be putting out some quality maps soon. They already have the new area in RR, and the minotaur area done.

Jamus needs to open up atlas so we can plot any map we wan't. Someone tell him.

Timjirdos
01-29-2009, 10:42 AM
The Elanthian Geographic Society is going to be putting out some quality maps soon. They already have the new area in RR, and the minotaur area done.

Jamus needs to open up atlas so we can plot any map we wan't. Someone tell him.

Here's an idea. Why don't you?

phantasm
01-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Okay, I'll rephrase.

I have asked him too.

Everyone else should as well.

JamusPsi
01-31-2009, 01:44 AM
I'm afraid that at this time, no maps outside the approved set of standard maps can be plotted to.

This is an issue of consistency- I use Tsoran's maps because they are the de facto standard and I can reasonably expect every person to use the same ones (with the same information on them). Allowing additional maps creates a problem in that everyone with that atlas data is then expected to have a map that is not standard.

I do not even allow nonstandard maps to be plotted for individual atlases because I foresaw complaints when I would not add them to the core data. It was more effective, from my perspective, to programmatically preempt it.

This is clearly, however, a problem. Tsoran is on indefinite hiatus and maps are increasingly out of date. Some areas are completely missing. But I am stuck with the problem- who defines when a map is standard enough that I will accept it? I've been relying on Tsoran to do that so far.

If another organization steps up to the plate and creates a suite of maps that are kept up to date, consistent, and complete, I think it would be okay for me to include those maps within Atlas. But until that happens, I'm loathe to start making my own judgements about what maps are 'standard' enough to include-- and even more loathe to let individual users make this decision.

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

Brian

JamusPsi
01-31-2009, 01:48 AM
With that said, I am a little confused to see Nelemar on Tsoran's site. When I developed atlas I took a dump of all his maps, in december 2007. Apparently, nelemar was not in it, and I assumed that it did not exist.

I'll add it for available plotting next update.

Junsea
01-31-2009, 11:53 AM
maybe someone could email tsoran the maps they have done or updated and see if he would format them like his.

Just a thought

phantasm
03-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Any progress on this in the last year?

pabstblueribbon
03-03-2010, 10:25 AM
I dont mean to butt in but...

Tillmens version of atlas has all the updated maps.. for well.. everywhere.

I know psinetters are afraid to move to lich, but its easy as hell to install.

And the user base is growing exponentially. Used to be 15-20 users, now its boomed to around 80.

Channels will be in shortly so psinetters don't have to worry about being ran off of Lnet anymore.