PDA

View Full Version : Coin Smelter

Methais
11-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Anyone know whatever happened to those old coin smelter items? The things that melt silver coins down into a slab and is powered by gold wands? I had one a long time ago and it ruled. Wondering if it's on someone that still plays, or gone forever on some dead account.

Moist Happenings
11-30-2008, 11:15 PM
slabs usable in forging? Silver weapons would make good ornamental weapons.

AestheticDeath
11-30-2008, 11:16 PM
i dont think so, would be basically the same slabs 125 makes from boxs

Moist Happenings
11-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Oh. Huh. What are those good for?

Durgrimst
11-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Oh. Huh. What are those good for?

Selling, basically when you blow up a box the coins get turned into a slab that are worth 50% of the coins that were inside. I think its 50%

shrug

Moist Happenings
11-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Ah, okay.

That item is dumb then Methais. Why do you want dumb items?

Durgrimst
11-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Why does he like Goatse?

Methais
11-30-2008, 11:30 PM
It was pretty useful in the Rift, which I'll eventually be hunting again.

The silver is worth 75% of the coins you put in it, with 10k silvers being the most you can put in it at once. The slab will always weigh less than 2 pounds.

Plus supposedly if you had enough trading, you could sell the slab to the gemshop for slightly more than 100% of the coins you melted down.

i.e. Put 10k in the smelter, melt it down to a slab worth 7500, and sell it to the gemshop for I guess 11-12k, I dunno what the numbers actually were, or if that was even true. GMs would probably shit pianos over it if it did work anyway.

Each "smelt" drains 1 charge from the gold wand.

AestheticDeath
11-30-2008, 11:33 PM
keeping up with the gold wands would be a bitch wouldn't it? even as a wizard recharging.

easier to get a coin hand

Stretch
11-30-2008, 11:46 PM
It's cheaper to get a second account with a zombie empath to keep at the Sands and run off of GOA. Heck, SP and I took Daniel's empath from lvl 37 to like lvl 90 just being a bitch healer / coin bank.

Coin hands are retardedly overpriced.

Fallen
12-01-2008, 10:08 AM
You can convert the silver slabs to gold via the cleric spell and those wacky gems. With a semi-talented cleric and good trading/racial bias you can make a good amount of cash and basically open your own boxes without a locksmith.

In conclusion, fuck locksmiths.

Belnia
12-01-2008, 10:23 AM
The branding irons were much neater, and a better use of gold wands. Get one of those instead, Methais. Brand random empaths.

NocturnalRob
12-01-2008, 10:44 AM

Fuck me...fuck you!!

Fallen
12-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Finding a decent locksmith for OTF boxes was a pain in the ass if you wanted more than a glorified bot. I would just 416 then 125 90% of the boxes unless they had scrolls in them. Usually wouldn't mithril/enruned unless I knew some poor bastard like Rlen was about.

Daniel
12-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Heck, SP and I took Daniel's empath from lvl 37 to like lvl 90 just being a bitch healer / coin bank.

Totally sweet.

mrjrd222
12-01-2008, 01:40 PM
You can convert the silver slabs to gold via the cleric spell and those wacky gems. With a semi-talented cleric and good trading/racial bias you can make a good amount of cash and basically open your own boxes without a locksmith.

I routinely make slabs of silver worth 500-1000 into slabs of gold worth 4000-5000. If you use a decent diamond, they have 3 charges as well.

Another thing they're good for is turning silver wands into gold wands. Charge the silver wand to full, rub a cheap silver to gold gem on it, makes a 40 charge gold wand for almost nothing.

The only hangup in this situation, is the gem value has to be higher than the item's value (by bard song). So if you've got a slab worth 7500, you need a gem worth more than 7500 to bless.

AestheticDeath
12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
How often do you only get one charge? If you don't get at least two uses out of the gem, your basically losing value overall.

Methais
12-01-2008, 02:32 PM
keeping up with the gold wands would be a bitch wouldn't it? even as a wizard recharging.

easier to get a coin hand

Never had a problem keeping up with gold wands.

So nobody knows what happened to these things? I sold mine to Angellisa when I got rid of mine, and I know she's gone. Not sure if she still has it or not though.

Augie
12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
I think Ardwen had one. But I don't know if he plays anymore...I think he plays EQ2

Methais
12-01-2008, 03:00 PM
I think Ardwen had one. But I don't know if he plays anymore...I think he plays EQ2

Wait til Warclaidhm hears about this.

kookiegod
12-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Haven't seen or heard of them in years.

~Paul

nub
12-01-2008, 03:33 PM
It was pretty useful in the Rift, which I'll eventually be hunting again.

The silver is worth 75% of the coins you put in it, with 10k silvers being the most you can put in it at once. The slab will always weigh less than 2 pounds.

Plus supposedly if you had enough trading, you could sell the slab to the gemshop for slightly more than 100% of the coins you melted down.

i.e. Put 10k in the smelter, melt it down to a slab worth 7500, and sell it to the gemshop for I guess 11-12k, I dunno what the numbers actually were, or if that was even true. GMs would probably shit pianos over it if it did work anyway.

Each "smelt" drains 1 charge from the gold wand.

If that were true, I wouldn't hunt anymore. I'd pay real money for that smelter and a high enough character to have enough trading to make that true. And set up a script that would get me infinite money. I would just continually make trips from the bank to the gemshop.

Then I would post it on the gemstone site saying it is unfair to everyone else and that I should be nerfed.

Belnia
12-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Infinite Money codes usually fall into GMA.

nub
12-01-2008, 03:39 PM

Well obviously, and that's why I assume what I said before is not true.

Plus there is probably a timer on it.

Durgrimst
12-01-2008, 03:41 PM
It is an old item so unless it is still around and has been nerfed I doubt there is a timer on it.

Methais
12-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Well obviously, and that's why I assume what I said before is not true.

Plus there is probably a timer on it.

There's no timer on it.

It also falls under incompetent and short sighted coder.

nub
12-01-2008, 04:04 PM
There's no timer on it.

REPORT1

Methais
12-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Wait...when did they remove the level requirement to get to the Cavern of Ages?

mrjrd222
12-01-2008, 04:52 PM
How often do you only get one charge? If you don't get at least two uses out of the gem, your basically losing value overall.

It's all about the value of the gem. Low value orb gems (usually under 3000 or so, star rubies and most tiny pearls) only get one use, but say they're worth 2000 coins, they add about 2200 to the silver's value, regardless of how big the slab is. I've never actually had a 2 rub gem, as I've either used 1-2k gems or 5-8k gems. Every diamond/emerald etc I've used Silver to Gold on has had 3 uses, and the 3 use gems seem to add half (or a bit more) their value to a slab, 3 times. So a 5k gem would end up adding 2500-3k or so per rub. In the end the gem's value goes up over 150%, but you have to factor losing 25-50% of the original coins.

If a locksmith can open my boxes, even tipping 1k per box, I feel like I make more money than blowing them up and turning silver to gold. Plus the gems I use make great chrisms, so it's a big toss up!

AestheticDeath
12-01-2008, 05:57 PM
I need to try this with my 20k + gems.

mrjrd222
12-01-2008, 06:06 PM
I need to try this with my 20k + gems.

I'd be interested to hear what the outcome is. I didn't know gems got that valuable.

AestheticDeath
12-01-2008, 06:15 PM
I don't think I kept them, but I did save some of the higher gems from my second to last batch, have quite a few 11-16k gems.

I had to turn in a gem I got to 46k or something like that with my chisel... was a bug.

TheRoseLady
12-01-2008, 07:45 PM
I am in possession of the smelter. (Well, my character's husband has my accounts, since I don't play anymore.) The smelter belongs to Dennis though, he just gave it to me to use when I was in the rift.

The smelter coupled with the clerics ability to change from silver to gold was a pretty big money maker.

Caralain removes a gold inlaid smelter from in her ivy-embroidered purse.
Caralain loads some coins into a gold inlaid smelter.
>Caralain closes her gold inlaid smelter.
>Caralain shakes the gold inlaid smelter which begins to turn red hot. You hear some poping and snapping from inside the smelter as the impurities of the coins are vaporized from the intense heat. Black smoke pours forth from holes around the side and the smelter rapidly cools, returning to its normal color.
>Caralain opens her gold inlaid smelter.
>Caralain removes a rough slab of silver from in her gold inlaid smelter.
>Caralain put a rough slab of silver in her ivy-embroidered purse.

Caralain put a gold inlaid smelter in her ivy-embroidered purse.
>Caralain removes a swirling purple thunderstone from in her dwarven tallis.

Caralain carefully runs her purple thunderstone over the surface of the slab of silver. Emerald green sparks appear around the thunderstone and soon an aquamarine mist envelops the slab of silver completely. The aquamarine mist dissipates from around the metallic slab revealing a brilliant golden hue.

Caralain put a refined slab of gold in the Caralain disk.

Rinse and repeat.

Danical
12-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Is it for sale?