PDA

View Full Version : Empath armor debate

Mateius
11-27-2008, 03:59 AM
What armor should I train for? I'm currently in double and was curious as to see if i should train for heavier armor. Thanks for any help.

Gan
11-27-2008, 09:13 AM
I've had empaths trained up to brig (to wear heavily crit padded). The 6%/7% spell failure rate could get annoying at times when it was critical that the spell being cast was successful.

I would find a set of hcp (or heavier padded) doubles and be happy. If you do want to wear a heavier armor class then train up to brig early on then work your way back down to double when you can generate the DS to offset the heavier armor class.

The primary benefit an empath has going for it is massive DS ability and no real need to stance dance when fighting due to offensive spells and their ability to be cast from a guarded stance. So the need for heavier armor to negate the damage factor from being hit minimizes over time as your ability to generate end game DS levels.

Xaerve
11-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Well said Gan, agree 100%.

Izzy
11-29-2008, 10:44 AM
I don't see any reason why it has to be brig or doubles. I had some 7x vhcp lbp on my empath that I was very happy with. partial armors kick ass, yo. It really depends on what kind of armor you have access to. If you can find some sweet lbp/cuirbuilli/studded you can shave a few points of hindrance while still gaining some rigid leather coverage.

Gan
11-29-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't see any reason why it has to be brig or doubles. I had some 7x vhcp lbp on my empath that I was very happy with. partial armors kick ass, yo. It really depends on what kind of armor you have access to. If you can find some sweet lbp/cuirbuilli/studded you can shave a few points of hindrance while still gaining some rigid leather coverage.

See red text as to why doubles/brig are the most common reference for armor for empaths.

Gan
11-29-2008, 12:49 PM
I strongly urge the OP to invest in some 4x hcp armor (FGB level or higher) as the empath gets older. Again, I iterate that the easiest hcp 4x armor to obtain price/availability will be brig. Doubles are a little harder to come by unless you padd up a set yourself with premium points (like I'm about to do again).

I remember looking for quite a while for a set of lbp to pad up. That was right before I found a nice set of 4x doubles to do.

Your worst enemy will be crits as you get older.

Jahira
11-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Agreed with the brig idea.

When I fixskilled Jahira to brig, I died far less. HCP is your friend. Plus the hindrance really wasn't that big of a problem. I was able to hunt clear to fried without many problems

Izzy
11-29-2008, 01:28 PM
See red text as to why doubles/brig are the most common reference for armor for empaths.

It doesn't have to be, though. I mentioned a sweet set of armor I had in that asg range. I know fallen has/had a sweet set of cuirbuillli. Just trying to keep the OP's mind open to partial armors, because they're kickass.

Gibreficul
11-29-2008, 06:34 PM
I just dropped my empath from LBP to doubles because the 4% hindrence pissed me off one too many times. Having spell hindrence block a cast of 240 is unacceptable. That's my opinion and I could be wrong.

Gibreficul

Gan
11-29-2008, 10:44 PM
I've been in swarms in OTF where having a cast spell fail has meant the difference between life and death (for me and for others in my group). Spell hindrance, be it 4% or 7%, sucks.

Jahira
11-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Never made it anywhere close to OTF but I assume in those situations, hindrance can hurt you.

But to my understanding HCP brig can save you from a lot of griffin CM crits.

Give and take I guess