PDA

View Full Version : Back injury from prior job.. legal question

Sean of the Thread
11-21-2008, 07:23 PM
The owners were scientologists and I hurt back doing a rack server swap and ended up in the emergency room that day. Tore a muscle in my back basically.

Anyways they wouldn't let me do workman's comp and basically forced me to goto the VP's wife's clinic for acupuncture and massage instead or lose my job. Well my back is still fucked up.

Can I sue the fucking bastards? I've been training for a return to service but this shit is killing me.

Moist Happenings
11-21-2008, 07:26 PM
If the item in question is more than 30 pounds, and you can prove it was a required job responsibility, they're obligated by Florida law to give you safe lifting technique training. If they failed to provide that, you can prove that they told you to do it, and that's where the injury came from (the difficult part in your situation), then you have a lawsuit.

At Office Depot we had to give anyone who could possibly have to ever handle a computer monitor or something training to cover our asses. Even the people that would never have to do that sort of thing, like the Cashiers.

Skeeter
11-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Do you have anything at all than can prove where and when and why the injury occurred? w/o that you're SOL. Even with that it would be tough since you did not seek medical attention timely.

The Ponzzz
11-21-2008, 07:41 PM
If it was longer than a year, not much you can do. Even within 90 days, you're still looking at some serious lawyer expenses to get your foot in the door to sue them.

As Skeet Skeet said, you have to prove without a reason of a doubt where you were, when it was and show negligence on behalf of your former employers.

Sean of the Thread
11-22-2008, 02:12 AM
Do you have anything at all than can prove where and when and why the injury occurred? w/o that you're SOL. Even with that it would be tough since you did not seek medical attention timely.

As in set alarm... locked doors... and had my assistant drive me to the emergency room timely?

Sean of the Thread
11-22-2008, 02:16 AM
My question was more along the lines of they wouldn't allow it to go through a workman comp channel with them being scientologists and made me go through an "alternative" natural treatment of acupuncture and some other crazy shit.

The Ponzzz
11-22-2008, 02:26 AM
Call Tome Cruise.

Skeeter
11-22-2008, 02:30 AM
As in set alarm... locked doors... and had my assistant drive me to the emergency room timely?

can you prove it? If so consult one of those ambulance chasers.

diethx
11-22-2008, 02:33 AM
Wasn't there a whole thread on this last year or something? I definitely remember people giving you advice on what to do. Why didn't you handle it then?

Furrowfoot
11-22-2008, 02:44 AM
Call Tome Cruise.

Yeah, the book is always better than the movie(star).

thefarmer
11-22-2008, 03:02 AM
Wasn't there a whole thread on this last year or something? I definitely remember people giving you advice on what to do. Why didn't you handle it then?

This shouldn't surprise you...

diethx
11-22-2008, 03:22 AM
I dunno, I figured if it was something that was time-sensitive... :shrug:

Sean of the Thread
11-22-2008, 08:12 AM

The thread was a couple years ago I think but the back problem went away. Well the same muscle is fucking up again so it appears it's a chronic dealio and I contacted the people about seeing if I could the therapy again and they said tough shit.

Sooo that's where I'm at.

But someone kindly gave me a PM on the issue. Thx!

Skeeter
11-22-2008, 10:15 AM
go see a chiropractor. The right ones are miracle workers.

Sean of the Thread
11-22-2008, 10:22 AM
It's a muscular problem. I tore a rhomboid or some part of one I forget which. I don't think a chiropractor is gonna help. :(

Skeeter
11-22-2008, 10:38 AM
My back issues are muscle problems, and she does wonders for me. Gets the inflamation down, eases out the knots, etc.

and the coup de grace... It's like $37 / visit.