PDA

View Full Version : Patron Saint of Mercenaries and Bodyguards?

Lumi
11-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Any suggestions? I'm actually woefully uninformed about the Arkati and lesser spirits I don't have a character dedicated to already...

thefarmer
11-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Look up the Huntress or, ask Laphrael.

Lumi
11-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Huntress isn't bad, I suppose, though I always got more of a "vengeance" vibe from her. Hrm.

Thanks for the suggestion!

thefarmer
11-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Vengeance true, but without the original (bodyguard) situation, there wouldn't BE a Huntress.

Of course, it's all in how you interpret the legend. I told Laph to look here, so she can chime in her thoughts, since she is the Uber-Huntress-Woman.

Warriorbird
11-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Voln. Leya. Kai. Amasalen.

You're creative. Use it.

Lumi
11-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Yeah, right after farmer posted, Laphrael walked into the room I was in =)

She suggested Huntress, and then Kai, who I think is an excellent fit for this character.

Thanks, everyone!

thefarmer
11-16-2008, 07:38 PM
With the barebones of what you've told us about the char, I disagree with Kai fitting.

However I will admit I'm extremely biased in that regard.

BigWorm
11-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Onar

ViridianAsp
11-16-2008, 10:14 PM
I'd either pick The Huntress or Leya.

LadyLaphrael
11-16-2008, 10:20 PM
In that she was a King's guardian, sure, she was a bodyguard in a sense, but at the time she was still in her mortal form. Her relentless fighting spirit is what eventually led her to her immortality, but it was more or less out of survival during her period of banishment and not out of any particular duty to anyone else (except for the glimmer of hope for revenge against Arachne and the Queen). In that way, I wouldn't exactly call her an honorable bodyguard, nor a mercenary of any sort. In her immortal form, as the patroness of vengeance - and with no particular alignment at that - I'd say she would be driven less by coin and more by a fitting purpose, and the thrill of the (dare I say) hunt.

She's good wholesome fun, but certainly not for everybody.

11-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Onar, most likely.

You'd be surprised how many followers of Onar eschew the "Assassin" archetype, and instead position their characters more as mercenaries that are willing to take on a wide variety -- some unsavory -- of tasks.

A few GM controlled Onarians have a similar bent.

If you imagine your character more as the Bodyguard who occassionally takes on odd jobs -- and also has a pesky code of ethics -- Onar might not be right for him or her, however.

Lumi
11-18-2008, 02:22 PM
If you imagine your character more as the Bodyguard who occassionally takes on odd jobs -- and also has a pesky code of ethics -- Onar might not be right for him or her, however.

This is very accurate, and it's precisely why Onar was the first thing to come to mind, and was pretty quickly dismissed as being incompatible with what I want for this character.

Also worth noting, I suppose, is that this is an empath, and he DOES heal. He considers it a useful talent that he's willing to employ to make friends/allies and some extra money, but he doesn't consider himself a healer by trade. It's just one more skill that makes him better at his primary job.

I definitely envision him as being enthusiastic about combat...not sure why I didn't think of Kai on my own, but that feels right to me right now. "Vengeance" is definitely not a defining characteristic, either.

Necromancer
11-18-2008, 02:49 PM
You could make an argument for a lot of Arkati:

V'Tull for a mercencary that does it for the thrill
Andalas for one who just loves the hunt
hell, Fash'lo'nae for a Palestra guard

Proxy
11-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Fash'lo'nae for a Palestra guard

Small problem w/ that is that for a true to form Palestran, they would never acknowledge an arkati as any thing more then a spirit. And wouldn't in the least consider following one. Palestran = Faendryl = Atheist