PDA

View Full Version : New Ranger

Senoj
11-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Hi, I am a returning player, but never was that seasoned to begin with. So, I am going to start off new.

I ultimately want to try my hands as an archer as I have solely played a melee weapon person.

I know how ultimately you want to maximize stats for the end game instead of the beginning game; however, I believe there is a new character time period that will allow you to restat and reskill. Am I recalling correctly? Any disadvantages to doing this? I see the potential advantages of making my early levels easier.

I know I want to join a society as I understand that mechanics wise you want to take the advantages that a society has to offer.

I understand there is an adventurers guild that will help in levelling. I believe that since one of the bounties are from skinning, a ranger will do well here.

I do have premium if that does anything for me.

Any other suggestions that you can give a newbie?

Anyway, thanks for any feedback.

SolitareConfinement
11-13-2008, 03:11 PM
yes you do have a unlimited everything the first month (fixstat and skill)

maximize your strength logic agi/dex rest do what ever with...then train in 2handers get yourself a 1200 silver claidh hurry up and swing your way to level 20 in the first month then do your fixstats n skills to set your character up as you'd like

Izzy
11-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Hi, I am a returning player, but never was that seasoned to begin with. So, I am going to start off new.

I ultimately want to try my hands as an archer as I have solely played a melee weapon person.

I know how ultimately you want to maximize stats for the end game instead of the beginning game; however, I believe there is a new character time period that will allow you to restat and reskill. Am I recalling correctly? Any disadvantages to doing this? I see the potential advantages of making my early levels easier.

I know I want to join a society as I understand that mechanics wise you want to take the advantages that a society has to offer.

I understand there is an adventurers guild that will help in levelling. I believe that since one of the bounties are from skinning, a ranger will do well here.

I do have premium if that does anything for me.

Any other suggestions that you can give a newbie?

Anyway, thanks for any feedback.

First, just go polearms/2hw for the first 30 days, level quick (i'd suggest finding a simple rat hunting script, there's one here on the forums somewhere). Ranged sucks for the early early levels.

Set your stats for max strength, logic, dex, agi for the first 30 days, too, for ease of hunting.

Once you make it near the end of the first month (which has free migration and 5 stat reallocations) You can start toying with ranged.

A good ranger build in my experience is:
1x+ armor (up to augmented chain,70 ranks,eventually, though brig is a good first target at 30 ranks)
2x ranged
2x brawling (if you go voln, which I suggest)
2x perception
1x spells
24 ranks miu, smc, arcane symbols, pf.

I tend to be more magical, so I went for 36 summoning lore to beef up spikethorn. You could skip this if you like. You could grab some ambush ranks for extra AS (perception and ambush give 1AS/4 ranks AFTER 40 ranks) but I never found this necessary. I don't hide ever.

Many will argue for 1x PF too, but I don't find this necessary at level 56. You certainly don't need to worry about it until then.

I'd suggest keeping a good strength stat because this determines your bow RT. With my Sylvan ranger, I can aim a longbow in 3 seconds with only wizards strength.

Voln fu + archery is awesome because you'll never gain RT because of encumbrance.

Izzy
11-13-2008, 03:14 PM
yes you do have a unlimited everything the first month (fixstat and skill)

Only 5 fixstats

Senoj
11-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks for all the help.

A rat hunting script is the one thing that I do have. Fill up in 5 minutes. Drain for 16. Repeat.

wood1559
11-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Also, get yourself a fletching script, for master-fletched arrows.

CaptContagious
12-07-2008, 09:44 PM
thats one thing i dont get. I know rangers get the uber mobility spell that puts voln on steriods but why the hell is everyone forgetting about the great sniping abilities Rangers have over the rest. No other class can generate the amount of ranged AS like rangers. Also, alot of thier spells are geared towards hiding. Spells that benefit hiding, sneaking, sniping. Not to mention that as you get up there, voln fu doesnt amout to jack shit. I also think voln is crap. but thats just my opinion. point is, very few things are as beautiful as when a ranger hits the incant 117, incant 608 - sign strike - sign smit - sign sword - sign madness macro and conducts a fucking wtfpwn symphony with a bow from hiding or better yet... toss in a Multi-fire.

please excuse me while i go change my pants and smoke a cigarette.

CaptContagious
12-08-2008, 01:19 AM
key word symphony... not jumping up on a bartop and screaming really loud before getting tossed out on you ass.

(and if you didn't get where i was going with that lemme translate: repeated shots from hiding that KEEP the 608 bonus > leaping from hiding, now in hard RT and wide open and getting owned.)