PDA

View Full Version : Cure for AIDS?

Solkern
11-13-2008, 01:58 PM
http://health.yahoo.com/news/ap/eu_med_aids_treatment.html

Necromancer
11-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Two of my ex boyfriends are HIV positive- I read this and got really excited. But it doesn't look remotely viable right now. Sounds like it's far more likely to kill you than it is to help you.

TheEschaton
11-13-2008, 02:44 PM
It's like the Magic Johnson cure for AIDS - sleep on a bed made of money.

Atlanteax
11-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Two of my ex boyfriends are HIV positive- I read this and got really excited.

and people wonder why others "unfairly" associate gays & HIV/AIDS

On a more serious note, it's my understanding that bleach has been proven to kill HIV ... so the next step in that regard is figuring out how to apply it (the manner in which bleach kills HIV) in a manner that is safe for humans.

Amber
11-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Several groups are working on knocking out or inhibiting the CCR5 gene, which has no known positive function but which is necessary (with a caveat to follow) for HIV, especially HIV type 1, infection of many cell types. This is the gene which encodes for the CCR5 receptor which is the target for the Delta 32 mutation cited in the article. There is at least one agent (maraviroc) currently on the market to inhibit CCR5 expression. Unfortunately, CCR5 is not the only coreceptor which HIV can use to enter host cells. CXCR4 being the other. It actually gets terribly complicated depending on which type, subgroup, and clade of HIV are involved. For some strains of HIV, only CCR5 may be used as a coreceptor, for others, only CXCR4, and for others, either CCR5 or CXCR4 may be used. And then there are the dendritic cells MDC-1, which are able to be infected with HIV in the absence of both CCR5 and CXCR4.

Without seeing his tropism profile, I think treatment with a CCR5 inhibitor like maraviroc would have proven just as effective as the transplant in this patient, but happily it looks like they were able to kill two birds with one stone in this instance.

Necromancer
11-13-2008, 03:15 PM
and people wonder why others "unfairly" associate gays & HIV/AIDS

Yeah, god, I don't know why I don't just shut up and pretend my ex's DON'T have HIV. Obviously, the association between gay and HIV is my fault and has nothing to do with the attitude YOU just demonstrated.

Sorry, that was a bit lengthy. Allow me to rephrase.

"Fuck you"

Better.

nub
11-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Well from the only gay couples that I am associated with. One of the couples, one has HIV, the other couple, their last boyfriend died from AIDS from HIV etc...

And from stories they tell me, other friends have it as well. I know they are out there, but I have no straight friends who have it, or significant other have it.

Necromancer
11-13-2008, 03:35 PM
There's no mistaking the fact that white gay men have higher rates of HIV infection than white heterosexual men. Just like heterosexual black people in the south have higher rates of HIV infection than white heterosexual people. Gay men are also more likely than anyone else to be tested and consequently realize that they're positive, which helps the disparity. We're also more likely to talk about it- it's not the same taboo in our community (though still taboo in many ways) as it is outside of our community.

And there's that whole sordid history of society not doing a damn thing to curb infection until they realized that heterosexuals actually had the disease too. Sort of helped exacerbate the issue.

Amber
11-13-2008, 05:09 PM
And there's that whole sordid history of society not doing a damn thing to curb infection until they realized that heterosexuals actually had the disease too. Sort of helped exacerbate the issue.
It's actually darn near criminal how the CDC and mainstream media failed to react when it was just gay men getting ill. When researchers started tying in IV drug users and their children into the epidemic, the diagnosis was frequently changed from immune deficiency order as everyone knew they couldn't get the "gay-related immune deficiency syndrome" which only struck gay males.

Part of the responsibility for a lack of an early response does lie with the gay community itself though. There was an unwillingness to take action among a great many gay men brought about by a lack of belief of personal vulnerability. The two earliest efforts to raise private research funding from the gay community (after it was determined that the CDC and NIH weren't willing to fund research) netted a bit less than $11,000 (from a collection taken from about a dozen politically prominent gay men) and about $400 from a collection taken from thousands of gay men attending a club with an $80 cover charge.

I could literally ramble for hours on this. It's just unbelievable to me that so little was done to curtail the spread of HIV in it's infancy.

BriarFox
11-13-2008, 06:54 PM
It's actually darn near criminal how the CDC and mainstream media failed to react when it was just gay men getting ill. When researchers started tying in IV drug users and their children into the epidemic, the diagnosis was frequently changed from immune deficiency order as everyone knew they couldn't get the "gay-related immune deficiency syndrome" which only struck gay males.

Part of the responsibility for a lack of an early response does lie with the gay community itself though. There was an unwillingness to take action among a great many gay men brought about by a lack of belief of personal vulnerability. The two earliest efforts to raise private research funding from the gay community (after it was determined that the CDC and NIH weren't willing to fund research) netted a bit less than $11,000 (from a collection taken from about a dozen politically prominent gay men) and about $400 from a collection taken from thousands of gay men attending a club with an $80 cover charge.

I could literally ramble for hours on this. It's just unbelievable to me that so little was done to curtail the spread of HIV in it's infancy.

You're a wealth of interesting knowledge on the subject. Hobby, passion, profession?

Amber
11-13-2008, 07:15 PM
You're a wealth of interesting knowledge on the subject. Hobby, passion, profession?

Profession. I'm studying recombination of HIV type 1, group M, clades A, B, and G. HIV has the highest mutation rate of any known virus, which is one reason why it's so difficult to get a handle on. Add in recombination between different strains in people infected with more than one variation and it's an absolute nightmare of a disease.

Tea & Strumpets
11-13-2008, 07:29 PM
There's no mistaking the fact that white gay men have higher rates of HIV infection than white heterosexual men. Just like heterosexual black people in the south have higher rates of HIV infection than white heterosexual people. Gay men are also more likely than anyone else to be tested and consequently realize that they're positive, which helps the disparity. We're also more likely to talk about it- it's not the same taboo in our community (though still taboo in many ways) as it is outside of our community.

I don't understand. Was the culprit white racists, or a multicultural group of heterosexuals?

Necromancer
11-14-2008, 01:09 AM
Part of the lack of response, however, was all of the misinformation. People didn't realize it was contagious- they thought it was a cancer. So you either had it, or you didn't. No one realized it was actually a disease that was being actively spread.

Though I agree that it's a shame we waited until a third of us were dead before we got serious response. But the fact that the US government sat back and watched us die out with nothing other than "Well, that's what you get for being a fag!" IS, in fact, criminal. Not unlike the way we're treating many African countries right now. "We'd love to help, but we have to protect Pfizer's profit margins!"

Miscast
11-14-2008, 02:28 AM
How'd I know Queertoes would be all over this thread like stink on shit :lol:

Necromancer
11-14-2008, 02:40 AM
Oh look, a dumbass homophobe comes flocking to the HIV/AIDS thread calling OTHER people predictable.

Miscast
11-14-2008, 03:03 AM
Sorry, just one more thing :rofl:

Necromancer
11-14-2008, 03:13 AM
Why do you have pictures of my half naked body? That's...really creepy.

I'm sorry man, I'm not interested. You're a social reject =(

diethx
11-14-2008, 03:14 AM
Why did you put pictures of your half naked body online?

Necromancer
11-14-2008, 03:17 AM
I don't even know where he got that from. That's the second time he's posted a picture of me- that's REALLY creepy. He also randomly IMs me and says really bizarre things. The dude's got issues.

diethx
11-14-2008, 03:20 AM
So you didn't put that picture online?

Necromancer
11-14-2008, 03:24 AM
Turns out it used to be on my myspace page. Psycho stalker found my myspace page.

I don't think he realizes what a loser it makes him that he's got shirtless pictures of me on his computer's hard drive. Or how gay actually.

Parkbandit
11-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Turns out it used to be on my myspace page. Psycho stalker found my myspace page.

I don't think he realizes what a loser it makes him that he's got shirtless pictures of me on his computer's hard drive. Or how gay actually.

I don't think you realize what a loser it makes you that you have shirtless pictures of yourself on your myspace page. Or how gay actually.

Seriously, did you actually look in the mirror and say "You know, I'm not THAT bad looking, maybe the Internet needs some Queerthose on it"

:puke:

CrystalTears
11-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Sorry, just one more thing :rofl:
Will you people stop posting that picture?! *shudders*

Mighty Nikkisaurus
11-14-2008, 09:55 AM
So you didn't put that picture online?

Eh, I find that to be pretty creepy that some people are randomly posting it. Definitely comes across as obsessive.

Sean of the Thread
11-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Stalker

Why anyone would want to stalk him I dunno but there are some weird peeps out there.

diethx
11-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Eh, I find that to be pretty creepy that some people are randomly posting it. Definitely comes across as obsessive.

I dunno, I saw him posting it as an insult. But it's not like we'd ever save photos of someone as an insult, right? ;)

Celephais
11-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Cure for AIDS
Are you sure?

Drisco
11-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Cure for AIDS

Are you sure?

I know right?

Mighty Nikkisaurus
11-17-2008, 12:26 AM
I dunno, I saw him posting it as an insult. But it's not like we'd ever save photos of someone as an insult, right? ;)

>.>

<.<

Celephais
11-17-2008, 07:11 PM
I know right?
Why are you being so HIV-Negative?