PDA

View Full Version : spiked greaves

stickyfingers
11-11-2008, 01:00 AM
How many of ya use spiked/flaring leg greaves, for sweep and such?
At the moment I use brig but will be switching to MBP in a few trains. But from my understanding about how armor works, if I put greaves with a MBP, i'll need to train up more armor use ranks as if I was wearing half plate, I think(not sure if it matters no arm greaves). Either way, what do people higher trained people with greaves do?

Just use a hauberk + greaves (is the spikes worth it enough to go down from plate?)
MBP no greaves
or MBP with greaves and train enough armor for it all

I plan on switching out of brig and not returning to light armor again, haven't purchased a pair of greaves because didn't want to until I have my armor I plan to use long term. I'll listen to anyones opinion whether you use spiked stuff, or just wanna give ya opinion.

Lucos
11-11-2008, 01:06 AM
Full plate armor with spiked/enhanced chausses. Hoping to hit a merchant one day that will add some impact flares to them.

thefarmer
11-11-2008, 01:18 AM
Just use a hauberk + greaves (is the spikes worth it enough to go down from plate?)
MBP no greaves
or MBP with greaves and train enough armor for it all

It's a personal choice. You can use them and do great, or not and do just as good. It all depends on what you want to do.

It also depends on what armor base you want. Plan for your armor versus planning for greaves.

If you want plate protection, no real need to stop with mbp, go ahead and go for fullplate. If you want chain protection, go up to hauberk, there's no real reason not to go full coverage (excluding spell hinderance, which doesn't seem like a problem for you).

stickyfingers
11-11-2008, 01:26 AM
It's a personal choice. You can use them and do great, or not and do just as good. It all depends on what you want to do.

It also depends on what armor base you want. Plan for your armor versus planning for greaves.

If you want plate protection, no real need to stop with mbp, go ahead and go for fullplate. If you want chain protection, go up to hauberk, there's no real reason not to go full coverage (excluding spell hinderance, which doesn't seem like a problem for you).

I planned to stop at MBP for a long while, and probably settle for that until maybe cap. All my extra TPs are going into armor use atm until I get to the 80 ranks. Once I get that, I was planning on pumping up my dodge alot more to boost my DS. I may go for full plate when capped, unless I feel its needed before then. And I've always been planning for armor more so then the greaves, but just atm deciding whether to still get one or not and whether the extra training into armor use is worth it when I'd be more then happy with just MBP rather then half/full plate coverage.

thefarmer
11-11-2008, 01:39 AM
I planned to stop at MBP for a long while, and probably settle for that until maybe cap....I'd be more then happy with just MBP rather then half/full plate coverage.

That answered your question right there.

I wouldn't bother buying greaves. Just merchant hunt until you find one that does spikes, get picked, and put some on a set of mbp.

Hell, if I could sell you the spike of my halfplate, I would. I dont' ever use them.

The Ponzzz
11-11-2008, 02:02 AM
I would try to find a spiked set of MBP.

stickyfingers
11-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Can a set of armor be spiked and padded at same time?

Lucos
11-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Yes

graysun
11-11-2008, 01:06 PM
I don't know much about spikes, but would probably go with MBP for a while until the points are there for bigger armor. 80 ranks for torso plate seems like a good deal for non-casters.

Simu has suggested that armor changes may be implemented for hiders which would make it difficult or impossible to hide in plate, but I have no idea if or when that will happen.

waywardgs
11-11-2008, 01:23 PM
I use spiked leg greaves for sweeping and spiked arm greaves for spunch. Both very useful. Spunch will flare with a flared weapon in your hand as well, but I don't always hunt with a flared weapon (the spikes on the greaves don't stack with the flares on a weapon, btw). Anyway, I like em lots... another 40 points of damage from doing a move you'd do anyway... adds up, has a chance to end the fight there... good stuff. Guess it sort of also depends on your cman usage.

Lucos
11-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Couple of the better sweeps with spikes below. Never seen them go above 40 points.

You crouch, sweep a leg at an Ithzir adept and connect!
An Ithzir adept falls to the ground! You deftly regain your footing.

** A spike on your dark eahnor chausses jabs into the Ithzir adept! **
... 40 points of damage!
Strike punctures thigh and shatters femur!
The Ithzir adept is stunned!
Roundtime: 5 sec.

... 35 points of damage!
Blow shatters knee and severs lower leg!

waywardgs
11-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Couple of the better sweeps with spikes below. Never seen them go above 40 points.

... 40 points of damage!
Strike punctures thigh and shatters femur!

... 35 points of damage!
Blow shatters knee and severs lower leg!

Yeah, same on the 40 cap... generally between 5 and 40. Seriously though, severing a leg on a sweep... pretty cool. I'll go get some clips also.

Cap'nDrak
11-11-2008, 03:21 PM
A hisskra warrior swings a slimy trident at you!
AS: +222 vs DS: +226 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +98 = +125
... and hits for 9 points of damage!
Minor puncture to the right leg.

** Your black vultite cuisses release a spray of acid at the hisskra warrior! **

... 30 points of damage!
Dissolved larynx opens windpipe. Unfortunately it quickly fills with blood!
The hisskra warrior collapses in a motionless heap.

>sweep
[Roll result: 123 (open d100: 48) Bonus: 5]
You crouch, sweep a leg at a hisskra shaman and connect!
A hisskra shaman falls to the ground! You deftly regain your footing.

[You have 1 repetition(s) remaining.]

** Your black vultite cuisses release a spray of acid at the hisskra shaman! **

... 35 points of damage!
The hisskra shaman screams! The hisskra shaman's right leg is reduced to a puddle of bubbling slime!
The hisskra shaman is stunned!
Roundtime: 5 sec

Flares are nice too....

Lucos
11-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Yea, tis why I am wanting to get my greaves flared. Can't get my plate flared since it has an obscene amount of crit padding on it. Flared and spiked leg armor should increase the chance of it activating during a sweep.

Cap'nDrak
11-11-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm not a super huge fan of padding so I opt for mid level enchant and flares. As soon as my MBP is done tempering, it will be flared with PP's, and I will be getting my matching arm greaves flared as well. The reactive part is the deciding factor for me vs. spiked pieces.

waywardgs
11-11-2008, 03:39 PM
So which hits more often, flared pieces or spikes? And does having spiked and flared pieces increase your overall chances of seeing a flare/spike happen?

Cap'nDrak
11-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Spikes and flares I would think have the same chance to go off offensively. Defensively, flares react... spikes don't. Having both is both sick and highly sexy at the same time.

DaCapn
11-11-2008, 08:07 PM
I just realized I'm an idiot for bidding on thefarmer's greaves because I'm not trained for them... in the locker they go...

Does the MBP+greaves combo require over 80 ranks of armor use regardless of the type of greaves? Say if they're chain? There's a pair of spiked chausses up for auction, which is chain by definition, but who knows how Simu chooses to define these things.

Cap'nDrak
11-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Yes. it requires more armor training. A head piece would constitute full armor, arm pieces make augmented, and adding legs makes half. Now mind you... I'm talking adding just this individual piece and thats what you have to train for.

DaCapn
11-12-2008, 01:40 PM
They really need to give this some attention. Strap some leather padding around your legs while in a full suit of hauberk and it's effectively the same as wearing plate minus a helm?

BigWorm
11-12-2008, 01:47 PM
They really need to give this some attention. Strap some leather padding around your legs while in a full suit of hauberk and it's effectively the same as wearing plate minus a helm?

No. Accessories never bump you up an armor class but they can force you into a higher AsG.

DaCapn
11-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Oh yeah, that's right, MBP has effective chain coverage everywhere but the torso but is not "full coverage." Further testament of the logic at work here. Thanks.

Cap'nDrak
11-12-2008, 08:24 PM
No. If you are fully trained to wear a "full coverage" armor, then pieces do not hinder. It is only partial armor that you have to train in addition to. IE: Wearing Torso chain. Adding leg greaves makes it augmented chain. If you add arm greaves it only becomes Double chain. If you add a helmet it automatically makes it a "full coverage" armor. If you are wearing Brig and add legs, arms, and a helmet there is no additional training required aside from the standard 30 or 35 for spell hinderance.