PDA

View Full Version : Creatures with archery...

Lumi
11-11-2008, 12:46 AM
...are fucking bullshit, and I hope whomever balances them burns in the ninth circle of hell forever. Fucking. Bullshit.

thefarmer
11-11-2008, 12:55 AM
What happened?

Lumi
11-11-2008, 01:09 AM
What happened is that I (quite literally) can't remember the last time I died that wasn't the result of archery.

Specifically, Grimswarm archers, since about 40-50% of them spawn as archers. Their AS is through the roof, and as a polearm user, I have pretty much no way to deal with bolts.

General wisdom is, if you choose to play a non-shield user (2HW, Polearms, TWC, whatever), you have to be more selective of what you hunt. And I'm perfectly willing to do that, except I CAN'T hunt Grimswarm without being literally inundated with archers. Fucking bullshit.

I can't wait until I get my fifth warcamp done, and then I never set foot in the same room as one ever again.

Danical
11-11-2008, 01:46 AM
yeah, there are tons of archers, it's a real bitch if you don't have a shield.

Drakam
11-11-2008, 08:00 PM
what I dislike is that half the grimswarm wear plate making it incredibly difficult for archers to take them down.

MotleyCrew
11-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Um, I play a polearm using empath who is now on her ninth level of sunfist and have no trouble with the archers....its those damn cloud casting clerics!

Although they are dealt with eventually too ;)

Lumi
11-13-2008, 03:09 AM
Um, I play a polearm using empath who is now on her ninth level of sunfist and have no trouble with the archers....its those damn cloud casting clerics!

Although they are dealt with eventually too ;)

So what spells AREN'T you wearing, that you have "no trouble with archers"?

Moist Happenings
11-13-2008, 03:12 AM
Wasn't a bolt deflection bonus something built into runestaff training? That could have something to do with why the archers aren't as much of an issue.

At least I think I read about something to that effect when GS4 was in beta. As early as yesterday though things start getting...you know..fuzzy. I might have been watching a video of a monkey sniff his own butt or something and remembered it as bolt deflection.

MotleyCrew
11-13-2008, 04:31 PM
So what spells AREN'T you wearing, that you have "no trouble with archers"?

Wow, count to ten and breath.

m444w
11-13-2008, 06:18 PM
heh. I've never had problems with archery as a TWCer.

Silvanostar
11-13-2008, 06:38 PM
how bad is your ranged defense? i dont mind the ranged users so much as the goddamn grimswarm that dispel. the worst are the sorcerers with dispel in their cos

The Ponzzz
11-13-2008, 06:42 PM
3x dodge ftw. I personally love archers in a camp the most. As a rogue (capped) and with a 4x buckler, my self cast DS with a statue against archers is 580. They can never touch me.

BigWorm
11-13-2008, 10:15 PM
3x dodge ftw. I personally love archers in a camp the most. As a rogue (capped) and with a 4x buckler, my self cast DS with a statue against archers is 580. They can never touch me.

Yes as long as they aren't rangers which tend to aggravate me when they come spawned with wall of force and wall of thorns up.

Belnia
11-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Archer here, I love Grimswarm archers. They have a nice, low ranged DS! They can scratch me on occasion and it has gotten slightly annoying since I'm currently padding-less until I get my armor done up real purdy.

Rocktar
11-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Yes as long as they aren't rangers which tend to aggravate me when they come spawned with wall of force and wall of thorns up.

Any damn thing that spawns with WoF or Wizard Shield up sucks ass. I ambush, and like level, I can't get enough DS pushdown to crack them. So, I run away, hide, wait and see if I can spot it dropping. Yep, major suckage.

Rocktar

m444w
11-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Also.
Trying disarming the grimswarm archers... Archer sans bow = cake.

DaCapn
11-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Any damn thing that spawns with WoF or Wizard Shield up sucks ass. I ambush, and like level, I can't get enough DS pushdown to crack them. So, I run away, hide, wait and see if I can spot it dropping. Yep, major suckage.

Rocktar

Hm, my main trouble is getting hit with call wind. It's usually combinations of those types of spells and cmans that do me in. In the span of 3 seconds I've been knocked into offensive, prone, and have like 20 seconds of RT with 4-5 guys in the room.

As an ambusher, I never have trouble hitting anything. The only trouble I have there is inflicting level 2+ wounds against paladins/warriors/etc. Archers and rangers are typically a little lower priority for me to deal with. I get the casters first, they're pretty easy to take out and cause serious problems if ignored.

Proxy
11-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Hasted critters w/ archery & spirit strike = Epic Win

Rocktar
11-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Hm, my main trouble is getting hit with call wind. It's usually combinations of those types of spells and cmans that do me in. In the span of 3 seconds I've been knocked into offensive, prone, and have like 20 seconds of RT with 4-5 guys in the room.

As an ambusher, I never have trouble hitting anything. The only trouble I have there is inflicting level 2+ wounds against paladins/warriors/etc. Archers and rangers are typically a little lower priority for me to deal with. I get the casters first, they're pretty easy to take out and cause serious problems if ignored.

Yeah, I am hunting the Skull Temple and I can hit em with WoF up, but invariably I can't get enough raw AS with pushdown to do more than a scratch, soooooo, as I said, assuming I don't get smeared standing there like an idiot before I can hide, I hide, run and wait to see if the WoF drops.

It kinda sucks, you miss the ambush or don't stun them and it is a race against luck to get hidden or run before dead, and usualy, dead wins.

Rocktar