PDA

View Full Version : Michael Crichton Dies

Allereli
11-05-2008, 04:08 PM
November 5, 2008, 12:59 pm

Michael Crichton Dies
By Dave Itzkoff
Michael Crichton in New York in 2004. (Photo by Jim Cooper/ The Associated Press)
Michael Crichton, the author of the blockbuster science-fiction novels “Jurassic Park,” “The Andromeda Strain” and “State of Fear,” has died. He was 66. An obituary will follow on nytimes.com.

UPDATE: Mr. Crichton’s family has issued the following statement:

“Best-selling author Michael Crichton died unexpectedly in Los Angeles Tuesday, November 4th after a courageous and private battle against cancer.

While the world knew him as a great story teller that challenged our preconceived notions about the world around us — and entertained us all while doing so — his wife Sherri, daughter Taylor, family and friends knew Michael Crichton as a devoted husband, loving father and generous friend who inspired each of us to strive to see the wonders of our world through new eyes. He did this with a wry sense of humor that those who were privileged to know him personally will never forget.

Through his books, Michael Crichton served as an inspiration to students of all ages, challenged scientists in many fields, and illuminated the mysteries of the world in a way we could all understand.

He will be profoundly missed by those whose lives he touched, but he leaves behind the greatest gifts of a thirst for knowledge, the desire to understand, and the wisdom to use our minds to better our world.

Michael’s family respectfully asks for privacy during this difficult time.

A private funeral service is expected, but no further details will be released to the public.”

UPDATE: An official memorial has been posted on Mr. Crichton’s Web site. (Warning: the page can be slow to load.)

UPDATE: A Times Topics page with links to articles about Crichton and reviews of his work can be found here.

UPDATE: In an email message, Steven Spielberg offered the following statement:

“Michael’s talent outscaled even his own dinosaurs of ‘Jurassic Park.’ He was the greatest at blending science with big theatrical concepts, which is what gave credibility to dinosaurs again walking the earth. In the early days, Michael had just sold ‘The Andromeda Strain’ to Robert Wise at Universal and I had recently signed on as a contract TV director there. My first assignment was to show Michael Crichton around the Universal lot. We became friends and professionally ‘Jurassic Park,’ ‘ER,’ and ‘Twister’ followed. Michael was a gentle soul who reserved his flamboyant side for his novels. There is no one in the wings that will ever take his place.”

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/michael-crichton-dies/?hp

I'm incredibly sad about this, even if I didn't fully enjoy his last few books, some of his work will always be my favorite.

Gan
11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Wow

I have enjoyed many of his books over the years.

This is indeed a loss to the literary community.

:(

RIP Michael

DeV
11-05-2008, 04:18 PM
He was an awesome writer who will be missed. I'm glad he completed his his last novel before he passed.

Stretch
11-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Yeah, which is more than you can say about that douche nozzle RJ.

BriarFox
11-05-2008, 04:28 PM
He was a great writer who brilliantly married thoughtful, intellectual concepts and popular appeal. He'll be missed.

mgoddess
11-05-2008, 04:38 PM
:( :(

Rest in peace Michael.

Warriorbird
11-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Jurassic Park, the Andromeda Strain, and The Great Train Robbery are very high on my all time favorites list.

nocturnix
11-05-2008, 04:47 PM
DAMN! He was one of my all time favorite authors!! :( :(

He inspired me to read more and develop a fascination in science and technology I will have for the rest of my life. This man literally changed my life!

Rest in peace sir!

Crap Im sad now.

Allereli
11-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Jurassic Park, the Andromeda Strain, and The Great Train Robbery are very high on my all time favorites list.

I'll add Travels, Rising Sun and A Case of Need. I'll probably start reading Jurassic Park tomorrow for the upteenth time.

TheEschaton
11-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Wow, what the fuck?!?

ElanthianSiren
11-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Wow, what the fuck?!?

Pretty much my reaction too.

The spastic paranoia his books often generated will be sorely missed :(