PDA

View Full Version : E-books

Shifted
10-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Ok, this has been bugging me today...

Why in the world are e-books so expensive? Just a PDF download of an ebook is running for at least the price of the paperback book. And if you get the fancy Kindle thing from amazon for $300+, the books are $9.99 each? A normal paperback goes from $6-$8. Yeah, it may be a discount over hardcover, but people by hardcover because the want the actual book (except for you people that can't wait for the next book in a series). I'm sure i'll have more to say later as i look around for more books.

Shifted

Allereli
10-31-2008, 09:42 AM
A normal paperback goes from $6-$8.

Agree that the Amazon device is expensive, but literature paperbacks go for a lot more than $6-8 retail

AestheticDeath
10-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Most any recreational Sci-Fi, Fantasy type books I buy are all under $8.
I have no clue why the e-books are so much.

Although, if you think about it. The paperbacks probably cost almost nothing to produce, at least in materials. The printing presses and whatnot are the biggest cost.

By the time printing presses are paid for, they probably make the some money on the books.

I looked it up, so its not as cheap as I thought to print junk, but all the costs I saw were what a press charged to get it done, not what it costs for them in materials etc. Also it was small print runs..

Shifted
10-31-2008, 09:57 AM
at least the paperbacks i read are rarely over $8.

kookiegod
10-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Check out this for a good source of free, and low cost e-books.

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/09-AtAllCostsCD/AtAllCostsCD/

And make sure you look at Baen's main page at www.baen.com.

Krakii turned me on to this years ago, its good stuff.

~Paul

NocturnalRob
10-31-2008, 10:09 AM
at least the paperbacks i read are rarely over $8.

that's because all the paperbacks you buy are in the bargain bin and flood-damaged...

too soon?

Allereli
10-31-2008, 10:09 AM
http://www.amazon.com/What-Vintage-Dave-Eggers/dp/0307385906/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225461818&sr=8-1

I read that on my last trip, great book. Retails for $15.95, on sale for 10.85, Kindle version is $7.96.

If you read a lot, then eventually the Kindle will pay for itself. I don't read enough to buy one for myself, unfortunately.

Tea & Strumpets
10-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Check out this for a good source of free, and low cost e-books.

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/09-AtAllCostsCD/AtAllCostsCD/

And make sure you look at Baen's main page at www.baen.com.

Krakii turned me on to this years ago, its good stuff.

~Paul

They have a free library, and there's also a part on the site where you can download free CD's that each have 10-15 books on them.

There was a site called indian burial grounds that had about 500 fantasy/sci-fi authors and most of their books for free downloads, but I think that one got canned for copyright infringement.

Shifted
10-31-2008, 10:40 AM
that's because all the paperbacks you buy are in the bargain bin and flood-damaged...

too soon?

Actually I haven't bought any books since i came down here to New Orleans. And before I ordered all my books online. Was too hard to find books in english in the bargain bins.

Tisket
12-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Bump. I got a Kindle for Christmas. Or I should say...I got the PROMISE of a Kindle for Christmas. My husband ordered it a month ago but there is a approximate two month waiting period.

Initially, I was pretty skeptical about these readers but I watched the video demo and other videos on Amazon and it turns out that I WANT IT RIGHT THE FUCK NOW FUCKERS! I want to go all out ninja on the people in the waiting list in front of me.

You can get books, newspapers, and magazines delivered. Yay for clutterless reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wireless-Reading-Device/dp/B000FI73MA

Tisket
12-30-2008, 01:17 PM
If you are on the waiting list watch out for this scary assassin ninja:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w66/Sassy_Photos_2007/qscarf.jpg

DCSL
12-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Hmm. Why would I need a separate device to read on when my laptop does that duty as well? Free books are always available via piracy. Or copyright expiration as a part of Project Gutenberg.

Anyway, the Kindle is still clutter to me. My laptop is all I need.

Numbers
12-30-2008, 01:22 PM
I bought my mother a Kindle for her birthday in August. She loves the thing, takes it everywhere she goes. A lot of the authors offer the first few chapters of their book for free, so she can sample before she buys. And she reads a lot of new books which are only available in hardcover at the stores for anywhere from $17 to $25 -- she gets them on her Kindle for ~$7.

It's really a neat gadget if you read a lot of books.

I keep trying to find a good torrent site that has the latest e-books on them so I can get the books for her for free. But most of the torrent sites just have tech manuals, reference guides, and sci-fi.

Tisket
12-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Hard for me to curl up with a laptop. And I do a lot of reading on the go. The screen on the Kindle seems a lot more eye friendly than a computer screen.

Fallen
12-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Kindle definitely looks awesome. Just wish they would drop in price a bit.

DCSL
12-30-2008, 01:31 PM
I have no problems, but my laptop is quite light and relatively small. I'm inured to the inconvenience because it also has my music and a few movies and TV series on it. And my class notes and much of my homework. When traveling, I cannot be without it. X_x It is attached to me.

Tisket
12-30-2008, 01:33 PM
I imagine, like all technology, they will drop in price eventually. My luck, I will get mine and the next generation version of the Kindle will come out at half the price.

Sean of the Thread
12-30-2008, 02:10 PM
just fucking pirate them.

Mininova.org for all my book reading needs.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
12-30-2008, 02:23 PM
The kindle looks cool but I'm skeptical on how much it holds. I know it holds like 200 books, but I'd only want it if there was some way for me to load the books I have on the kindle onto my computer when I inevitably fill it up.

Tisket
12-30-2008, 02:27 PM
They sell memory cards apparently. Also, you are supposed to be able to use books you buy for your Kindle on all future generation versions. Would be nice if you could transfer to other media though, you are right.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
12-30-2008, 02:31 PM
They sell memory cards apparently. Also, you are supposed to be able to use books you buy for your Kindle on all future generation versions. Would be nice if you could transfer to other media though, you are right.

Ah yeah, that's good then. I just don't want to be trying to get a new book onto it and have it be like "no more space" and have to delete books to be able to get new ones.

Numbers
12-30-2008, 02:57 PM
There's a slot on the bottom for an SD card. And since the Kindle is tied to your Amazon account, whenever you buy a book, you can redownload it whenever you want.