PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Palin effigy hanged from house

RichardCranium
10-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Link here. (http://www.theage.com.au/world/us-election-2008/sarah-palin-effigy-hanged-from-house-20081028-5a2r.html)

An effigy of US Republican vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin hanging by a noose as part of a Halloween display has drawn severe criticism, but local officials said the homeowner was covered by free speech rights.

A mannequin dressed to resemble the Alaska governor, with her trademark beehive hairdo and glasses, was hung by the neck from the eaves of the home in West Hollywood.

On the roof, a mannequin of Republican presidential candidate John McCain protruded from the chimney surrounded in flames, holding his head as he was apparently burned alive.

"We have been getting some phone calls complaining about it but if (the homeowner) isn't in violation of municipal code we have no reason to cite them," West Hollywood spokeswoman Helen Goss said.

"People have First Amendment rights (to free speech)," Goss said. "I would speculate that if it's part of a Halloween display then its political satire."

Homeowner Chad Michael Morisette told local KCAL-TV the display should be considered Halloween "art" and said his neighbours would probably be more offended by a similar scene invoking Democrat Barack Obama.

"I know if we had done Barack Obama, people would have probably thrown things through our windows," Morisette said. "The image of a hanged black man is a lot more intense than the image of a hanged white woman for our country, the history of our country."

Earlier a cardboard likeness of Obama was strung up from a tree at an Oregon university and an Ohio man who told local media he didn't want to see an African-American running the country hung a ghostly figure bearing an Obama sign from a tree in his yard.

If he wins the November 4 election, Obama will be the first African American to become US president.

West Hollywood is known for its large gay population and its liberal politics. It hosts a large and flamboyant outdoor Halloween parade each year.

Palin, who is seen as more conservative than running-mate McCain, has been a lightning-rod of criticism from the left since her nomination to the ticket.

Sean
10-28-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't like her but that's fucked up.

Paradii
10-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Pretty lame IMO

Keller
10-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Pretty shitty production value on that Palin replica -- even for Hollywood.

Gan
10-28-2008, 11:56 AM
real classy

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-28-2008, 11:57 AM
I don't like her but that's fucked up.

:yeahthat:

nub
10-28-2008, 11:59 AM
"If he wins the November 4 election, Obama will be the first African American to become US president."

Never thought of that... great article.

Paradii
10-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Saw this article on CNN. The two guys were beyond flaming and everyone they interviewed about it was also flaming. Is everyone in California a homosexual now?

I lived there for awhile and it didn't seem like it, but I guess I didn't spend much time in Hollywood.

Some Rogue
10-28-2008, 12:05 PM
And when this is done with Obama...it's HATE SPEECH!!2!!!111 OMG

ClydeR
10-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Saw this article on CNN. The two guys were beyond flaming and everyone they interviewed about it was also flaming. Is everyone in California a homosexual now?

Major reputation points for Paradii on that one. I was starting to think I was the only one here who recognized the threat to society from homosexuals.

RichardCranium
10-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Major reputation points for Paradii on that one. I was starting to think I was the only one here who recognized the threat to society from homosexuals.

Not to mention laser beams.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-28-2008, 12:16 PM

And if you combine the two...?

OH GOD TEH HORROR!11!!!

Keller
10-28-2008, 12:36 PM

I lived there for awhile and it didn't seem like it, but I guess I didn't spend much time in Hollywood.

It's West Hollywood.

It's notoriously flaming.

Some Rogue
10-28-2008, 12:39 PM
And Keller would know..

:wink wink:

Keller
10-28-2008, 12:40 PM
And Keller would know..

:wink wink:

Dick.

RichardCranium
10-28-2008, 12:46 PM
And Keller would know...
...dick.

The fuck?

ClydeR
10-28-2008, 01:17 PM

Thank you for reminding me of that, Mr. Cranium. I had almost forgotten to report that I went to Eureka Springs a couple of weeks ago. That's where, as I'm sure you remember, the homosexuals had a website showing a laser beam going down on the giant Jesus statue, which marks the location of the popular passion play at Eureka Springs.

I took some photos of the Jesus statue, which I will share with the group.

In this first photo, you can see the Jesus statue far in the distance. This photo is taken from the observation deck of the Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/rmi08a/eu1.jpg

The second photo is a closer view of the enormous statue.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/rmi08a/eu2.jpg

I didn't see any obvious homosexuals, who are rumored to have taken over the extremely hilly picturesque little town. It would be an odd pairing to have the town's government run by homosexuals when much of the town's revenue comes from people traveling there to see the passion play.

Paradii
10-28-2008, 01:27 PM

Fantastic, someone finally gave me a reputation comment. I was so jealous of all you guys with your fancy reputations.

RichardCranium
10-28-2008, 01:32 PM
...I didn't see any obvious homosexuals..

:rofl:

g++
10-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Are they sure the real Palin didnt just get stuck and strangle herself out by accident?

Methais
10-28-2008, 02:36 PM
If his neighbor hung an Obama mannqeuin by a noose, he'd be called a racist, would be forced to take it down, probably face criminal charges, and forced to pay restitution to Obama, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jacksoff, and the NAACP.

Sean
10-28-2008, 02:41 PM
If his neighbor hung an Obama mannqeuin by a noose, he'd be called a racist, would be forced to take it down, probably face criminal charges, and forced to pay restitution to Obama, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jacksoff, and the NAACP.

Try it and find out.

RichardCranium
10-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Try it and find out.

It wouldn't even make the papers around here.

Methais
10-28-2008, 02:44 PM
It wouldn't even make the papers around here.

QFT. I'd probably be praised and receive donations.

Some big KKK guy used to live somewhere a few miles from me. Pretty sure he was gone before I moved here, but I've seen his house, it was pretty decked out in anti-negrosity.

If anyone wants to make one up for me and send it down though, I'll hang it and see what happens. I have no artistic skill at all. It would probably look like Mr. Hanky if I tried to make it.

Some Rogue
10-28-2008, 02:49 PM

You mean like where the kids did it on some Oregon college campus and were investigated by the FBI?

Tisket
10-28-2008, 02:49 PM

Been done: http://www.katu.com/news/29688704.html

Not exactly with the probable repercussions you cited however.

Methais
10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
You mean like where the kids did it on some Oregon college campus and were investigated by the FBI?

I guess so. Link?

Tisket
10-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Link in my post. SR is fast but I am thorough.

Some Rogue
10-28-2008, 02:54 PM
I DON'T FACILITATE THE LAZY.

And find a better link. Once they found out who it was, the four kids got suspended, long community service and the FBI investigated.

Jorddyn
10-28-2008, 02:55 PM
With free speech comes free (and unlimited) stupidity. It's the price we pay.

Some Rogue
10-28-2008, 02:55 PM
http://news.aol.com/article/4-confess-to-obama-effigy-school-says/188210

A statement from the school said the penalties against the four students were "immediate long-term suspension and public service." The school cited federal privacy rules in not disclosing more about the students or their punishment.
The FBI is investigating whether any civil rights were violated.

Some Rogue
10-28-2008, 02:57 PM
And yes, I know it was the college enforcing these penalties but it was also turned over to the FBI and Secret Service.

Happy now, douchebag!?

AnticorRifling
10-28-2008, 03:01 PM
And yes, I know it was the college inforcing these penalties but it was also turned over to the FBI and Secret Service.

Inforcing them huh?

Didn't you quote a "Your retarded" earlier today?

PWNT

Some Rogue
10-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Uh, but I wasn't calling anyone retarded.

g++
10-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Well there is a certain irresistible irony about finding a grammar error in a statement questioning others intelligence.

Some Rogue
10-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Except this is a different thread...

g++
10-28-2008, 03:08 PM
I meant that to support that you were not being a grammar nazi you were pointing out I made the error in an ironic way.

Some Rogue
10-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Gotcha! :D

Now..hehe

Sean
10-28-2008, 03:12 PM
And yes, I know it was the college enforcing these penalties but it was also turned over to the FBI and Secret Service.

Happy now, douchebag!?

Out of curiosity if you were a school administrator trying to increase your low income/minority attendees how would you have handled the situation?

Some Rogue
10-28-2008, 03:15 PM
That's not the point. The point was the FBI and Secret Service got involved. Let the school do whatever it wants, they have that right.

Jorddyn
10-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Out of curiosity if you were a school administrator trying to increase your low income/minority attendees how would you have handled the situation?

Hang an effigy of McCain to show how equal and balanced the campus is?

Sean
10-28-2008, 03:34 PM
That's not the point. The point was the FBI and Secret Service got involved. Let the school do whatever it wants, they have that right.

It is the point. The school called in the police to investigate, the police called the secret service, and it's the FBI's job to investigate potential hate crimes. If your beef is with hate crime legislation so be it. But none of the reactions were unreasonable given the way the law is written now and it's hardly the reactions that Methais was implying. In fact if you read the reactions from the Act 6 program students they were a far cry "OMG get Jesse and Al on the phone" and more in line with "We're disappointed it happened but in the long run it could lead to valuable dialog about race on campus."

TheEschaton
10-28-2008, 03:37 PM
LOL, those silly gays. What fucking morons.

I'm all for free speech, but come on, we're 8 days out. Our motto has to be JUST DON'T FUCK IT UP.

-TheE-

Parkbandit
10-28-2008, 04:34 PM
And when this is done with Obama...it's HATE SPEECH!!2!!!111 OMG

Bingo.

Some Rogue
10-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Bingo.

I'll take things old people (PB) do for entertainment for $500, Alex.