PDA

View Full Version : The best movies that never made the spotlight.

Moist Happenings
10-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Okay, here's another one of my threads with crazy rules to satisfy my own stupid curiosities.

I want to know what your favorite movies are that never made it into the spotlight. They didn't necessarily have to not play in a theatre, but no bullshit answers like Napoleon Dynamite. It's an awesome movie, no doubt, but it got enough of a cult following to gain quite a bit of notoriety.

I want to hear about movies I probably haven't ever heard of before, and maybe come up with some entertainment from watchin' em.

With the rules laid down, my first submission is: 8 Seconds.

I never thought I could like a movie about Bull Riding, but my brother in law made me watch it a few years back and I have to say it's really an amazing, entertaining, and heartwrenching true story. Now, I was fairly young when it first came out (1994), and to my knowledge it was never in the theatres, but it very well could have been. I don't remember ever hearing anything about it though.

What other flicks ya got?

Edited to add:

Also the Cutting Edge. Before Blades of Glory I didn't think I'd like a movie about figure skating either. This one I think was a little more popular than the last, and I'm fairly sure it went to the theatre, but I remember watching it first on USA Up All Night with Gilbert Godfried when I was like 12. Either way it's an awesome movie that a lot of people haven't heard of. It's about a hockey player who gets banned from Hockey, and a rich figure skater chick who keeps going through partners because she's a bitch. Good flick.

SolitareConfinement
10-24-2008, 07:19 PM
when i was a young kid i remember watching a movie over and over titled Explorers. a movie where 3 kids make this sort of "space craft" out of basically a tilt-a-wirl cart and a garbage can rofl. they also some how hook a computer up to it if i remember correctly. anyrate they end up finding 2 aliens that are quite humorous that end up being nothing but childeren who stole their fathers space ship, etc.

as far as i know it was never on any top known lists, but what the hell did i know? i was like 6-8?

Moist Happenings
10-24-2008, 07:22 PM
when i was a young kid i remember watching a movie over and over titled Explorers. a movie where 3 kids make this sort of "space craft" out of basically a tilt-a-wirl cart and a garbage can rofl. they also some how hook a computer up to it if i remember correctly. anyrate they end up finding 2 aliens that are quite humorous that end up being nothing but childeren who stole their fathers space ship, etc.

as far as i know it was never on any top known lists, but what the hell did i know? i was like 6-8?

I remember that movie! I used to love it! At the time I thought the Aliens looked sooooo futuristic and believable. Great movie.

That also reminds me of another I used to make my mother rent constantly called The Wizard. It was about this kid who was awesome at video games. He and his brother run away from home and they make money in arcades hussling other kids. They make their way to California I think to compete in some huge tournament in which Nintendo was going to be releasing this "Super secret awesome new game that would change the face of gaming forever". The game was Super Mario 3. Sweet movie.

And on the same note of movies I loved as a kid: The Last Starfighter. That one was probably a lot more spotlighted than others. I just don't remember it because I think it was either out before I was born or when I was too young to remember.

Nieninque
10-24-2008, 07:23 PM
The one of your mom.

Skeeter
10-24-2008, 07:24 PM
8 minutes was promoted largely at the theatres. I think it was Luke Perry's first movie.

Freaked is my favorite unknown movie of all time. All-star cast of B-listers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109838/

Moist Happenings
10-24-2008, 07:25 PM
The one of your mom.

Pick up some issues of Hustler magazine from the mid to late 70s and you're not that far off from the truth. True story.

Skeeter
10-24-2008, 07:25 PM
I remember that movie! I used to love it! At the time I thought the Aliens looked sooooo futuristic and believable. Great movie.

That also reminds me of another I used to make my mother rent constantly called The Wizard. It was about this kid who was awesome at video games. He and his brother run away from home and they make money in arcades hussling other kids. They make their way to California I think to compete in some huge tournament in which Nintendo was going to be releasing this "Super secret awesome new game that would change the face of gaming forever". The game was Super Mario 3. Sweet movie.

And on the same note of movies I loved as a kid: The Last Starfighter. That one was probably a lot more spotlighted than others. I just don't remember it because I think it was either out before I was born or when I was too young to remember.

lol the wizard was Fred Savage.

SolitareConfinement
10-24-2008, 07:40 PM
another movie i watched over and over that was off of the radar was RAD

Skeeter
10-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Big Trouble in Little China.

I'm going to have to put that in my netflix queue. I haven't seen it in decades. Probably sucks now :(

ElanthianSiren
10-24-2008, 07:44 PM
I watched the cutting edge a bunch of times between D&D/Robotech/Battletech campaigns with my neighbors as a kid; it was almost like a deal we had going. Watch the chick flick with me, and I'll play killthings with you. Great flick. Good times.

Rad. 80s Movie about BMX racing. Used to love it. I'd probably laugh at it now... or at least the clothes in it.

This one probably doesn't count, but if you've never seen The Dark Crystal, buy it immediately. My boyfriend hadn't until last winter, and this made me sad.

ElanthianSiren
10-24-2008, 07:45 PM
another movie i watched over and over that was off of the radar was RAD

:lol: I spoke too late apparently.

Edit: This! is ass sliding.

ElanthianSiren
10-24-2008, 07:48 PM
The last unicorn too. I don't know if that has a cult following yet.

Big trouble in little china was one of my favorites too. Great pick Skeeter.

Skeeter
10-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Speaking of skating movies, I watched Ice Castles a ton of times.

Story of an olympic hopefull hot chick, who has a skating accident and goes blind. They re-teach her her routine blind, and she wins a competition, only to comically trip over the roses the crowd throws.

Moist Happenings
10-24-2008, 07:53 PM

I'm going to have to put that in my netflix queue. I haven't seen it in decades. Probably sucks now :(

They still play it like once a week on TBS. Gotta be at least a little entertaining still. Not a bad movie, I just didn't get into it for some reason. Haven't ever watched it all the way through.

Moist Happenings
10-24-2008, 07:54 PM
On another note, I hate hate HATED both The Last Unicorn and The Dark Crystal. I didn't know they existed until I was like 23 though. If I had seen them as a kid I might have liked them.

On that note: Willow rocked. And The Ewok Adventure. And Real Genius was awesome when I was young.

ElanthianSiren
10-24-2008, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't count Willow as never having made it. Any movie with Val Kilmer in it (when he was young and not fat) is pure win from my point of view. Yours may differ considerably.

Moist Happenings
10-24-2008, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't count Willow as never having made it. Any movie with Val Kilmer in it (when he was young and not fat) is pure win from my point of view. Yours may differ considerably.

No, you're right. That one doesn't really count according to my own rules. Some of the movies people have been mentioning reminded me of it though.

Ooh, and Krull and Robot Jox. These were probably also in the spotlight, but made before I was born or when I was really young, so I dunno.

Also, what was RAD about? (Nevermind. I just read through the thread again and saw that I missed the explanation of that.)

ElanthianSiren
10-24-2008, 08:09 PM
not sure this counts either, but ever critic thinks it's a horrid movie. The Corsican Brothers. Watched that a million times and probably have Cheech and Chong to thank for my really dry sense of humor.

John Carpenter's Vampires. So campy, so cheesy, so awesome.

Anything at all involving V. I loved V as a kid.

Alien Nation the movie also...while we're on the subject of aliens.

Moist Happenings
10-24-2008, 08:11 PM
not sure this counts either, but ever critic thinks it's a horrid movie. The Corsican Brothers.

What's it about? I usually like movies critics hate.

Soulpieced
10-24-2008, 08:14 PM
No Holds Barred.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/lowdensity/OTHER%20FIGS/EBAY%20PICS/IMG_9788.jpg

ElanthianSiren
10-24-2008, 08:15 PM
from the back of the box:

Cheech and Chong trade in their bongs for swords as they take on history in this outrageous retelling of alexandre dumas' 18th century adventure epid. The Coriscan Brothers starts cheech marin and thomas chong as separated twin brothers who join forces during hte french revolution to defeat an evil and sadistic royal advisor!

It took them 30 years to reunite -- and no time at all to get into trouble. When the Corsidcan Brothers are caught in the backwoods of France holding a maniacal aristocrat's most prized possession -- his pink poodle -- they are sentenced to the guillotine for their crime. But using a hard as a rock baguette as a club, the imaginative brothers escape their foe. Now seen as heroes, they unwittingly become leaders in a resistance to take down their sado-masochistic enemy, LeFukeur, and ignite the fires of the french revolution!

Moist Happenings
10-24-2008, 08:17 PM
from the back of the box:

Cheech and Chong trade in their bongs for swords as they take on history in this outrageous retelling of alexandre dumas' 18th century adventure epid. The Coriscan Brothers starts cheech marin and thomas chong as separated twin brothers who join forces during hte french revolution to defeat an evil and sadistic royal advisor!

It took them 30 years to reunite -- and no time at all to get into trouble. When the Corsidcan Brothers are caught in the backwoods of France holding a maniacal aristocrat's most prized possession -- his pink poodle -- they are sentenced to the guillotine for their crime. But using a hard as a rock baguette as a club, the imaginative brothers escape their foe. Now seen as heroes, they unwittingly become leaders in a resistance to take down their sado-masochistic enemy, LeFukeur, and ignite the fires of the french revolution!

Oh hell yeah I'm getting that.

Also, what was that movie where Hulk Hogan played an Alien Commando that landed on Earth?

SolitareConfinement
10-24-2008, 08:18 PM
This one probably doesn't count, but if you've never seen The Dark Crystal, buy it immediately. My boyfriend hadn't until last winter, and this made me sad.

those puppet elves freaked me out....and the half rabbit half horse freakish things with uber long legs freaked me out even more

Ogreslayer
10-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Savannah Smiles, if you're looking for a feel-good family movie.

Cutting Edge was a great movie. "Toe pick!"

Moist Happenings
10-24-2008, 08:38 PM
What's Savannah Smiles about? I'll see if I can grab that one too.

Allereli
10-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Wonder Boys
Galaxy Quest
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Morrff
10-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Also, what was that movie where Hulk Hogan played an Alien Commando that landed on Earth?

Suburban commando with co-stars Christopher Llyod and Shelley DuVall.

I'd also like to toss up there, Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy. I don't believe it ever made the big screen in America,
but maybe it did.

Also, aw shit...I had the name of the movie on the tip of my fingers and I forgot. I'll remember tomorrow.

Morrff
10-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by ElanthianSiren http://forum.gsplayers.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?p=827177#post827177)

The Dark Crystal is the only Jim Hensen(sp) production I can think of I've disliked

Moist Happenings
10-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Suburban commando with co-stars Christopher Llyod and Shelley DuVall.

I'd also like to toss up there, Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy. I don't believe it ever made the big screen in America,
but maybe it did.

Also, aw shit...I had the name of the movie on the tip of my fingers and I forgot. I'll remember tomorrow.

Hitchhiker's guide did play in theaters. Just not for long. Awesome movie though. I dragged my ex girlfriend to the movies just to see it.

Jayvn
10-24-2008, 10:31 PM
critters

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-24-2008, 10:52 PM
The Shipping News (Julianne Moore, Kevin Spacey)

It's a drama but is really subtle (not like over the top, overly-dramatic). It's one of my favorite movies of all time.

Skeeter
10-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Over the Top may be my favorite Stalone movie. (next to Rocky of course)

Who can't love a movie about arm wrestling? A guy I know was actually in that movie as one of the arm wrestlers.

Marl
10-25-2008, 12:02 AM
alot of mine have been named already

dark crystal
rad
willow
V
alien nation
critters
the wizard
last unicorn
krull
real genious
labrynth
legend
gleaming the cube
the burbs
crossroads
d.a.r.y.l.
lost boys
ladyhawke
little shop of horrors
night of the comet
remo williams
summer school

These are ones I have on vhs that stand out
Anything newer and I will have to go through my 5-600 I have on my computer, tons of random newer movies

Moist Happenings
10-25-2008, 01:33 AM
This probably got a lot of press in its time because it's fairly recognizable, but I'm watching it right now so I figured I'd mention it: Stand By Me

Augie
10-25-2008, 01:40 AM
I love mind trippy movies and before The Butterfly Effect and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, there was one of the best ones ever: Memento.

I also liked Final Cut with Robin Williams.

Two very trippy mind F**k movies

Moist Happenings
10-25-2008, 01:43 AM
I love mind trippy movies and before The Butterfly Effect and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, there was one of the best ones ever: Memento.

Ooh, speaking of trippy Robin Williams movies: The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.. Weirdest movie ever, and kind of funny, with the added bonus of an 18 year old half naked Uma Thurman.

Tsa`ah
10-25-2008, 01:52 AM
Corsican Brothers isn't like any other C&C movie ... it's like liver, an acquired taste. I didn't like it the first 20 times my stoner roomie watched it, but it grows on you. Nothing like two stoners that feel the pain inflicted on the other.

those puppet elves freaked me out....and the half rabbit half horse freakish things with uber long legs freaked me out even more

Gelflings ... loved that movie when I was a kid.

Staying Together, because Dinah Manoff gave me wood as a young teen.

ElanthianSiren
10-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I love mind trippy movies and before The Butterfly Effect

I hated that movie. The rampant child molestation in it was such a turn off, and about half way through, I found myself hoping the main character would blow his head off so I didn't have to watch it anymore. I probably should have just left the theatre, but that movie seriously disgusted me.

the THEORY behind it is cool though.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-25-2008, 10:52 AM

Memento is an amazing movie.

I also really loved Gattaca. I know, I'm a nerd.

Sean
10-25-2008, 12:22 PM
No Holds Barred.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q163/lowdensity/OTHER%20FIGS/EBAY%20PICS/IMG_9788.jpg

What's that smell!

It's a terrible movie but I love Hudson Hawk. I watch it all the time.

Skeeter
10-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Someone who shall remain nameless was arguing the merits of Breakin' 2 Electric Boogaloo the other day.

grenthor
10-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Suicide Kings

grenthor
10-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Oh and Midnight Run. Robert DiNiros best comedy role in my opinion

ElanthianSiren
10-25-2008, 02:54 PM
nevermind. I just read a review and scent of a woman was a big movie. Sorry.

Stanley Burrell
10-25-2008, 03:03 PM
C.H.U.D.

Cube.

Marluxian's post.

Mabus
10-25-2008, 03:40 PM
The Basketball Diaries

Nice little film about Jim Carroll (of the Jim Carroll Band) starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112461/

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Cube.

Was Cube a horror movie??

Liagala
10-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Most of the stupid movies I love(d) are already named, but I need to add Warlock, Watcher in the Woods, and Escape to Witch Mountain. All retarded, but I used to watch them constantly. Also, The Worst Witch (bonus - Tim Curry is in it).

ElanthianSiren
10-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Warlock yes... isn't that the movie where the diabetic chick injects him with salt water, thus making his head explode?

Also, I'll see your Julian Sands and raise you Tale of a Vampire or Rose Red. Julian Sands is so yum.

crazymage
10-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Equilibrium

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/

SHAFT
10-26-2008, 07:29 PM
layer cake. stylish, intelligent, very witty.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/benno1980/layercake.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t260/tlane_22/movies/movie22.jpg

TheEschaton
10-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Independence Day
The Dark Knight
The Shawshank Redemption

Allereli
10-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Independence Day
The Dark Knight
The Shawshank Redemption

joke, right?

TheEschaton
10-26-2008, 08:03 PM
No, I seriously think those are awesome movies that never made the spotlight.

Allereli
10-26-2008, 08:11 PM
No, I seriously think those are awesome movies that never made the spotlight.

umm, those are some of the biggest hits ever. especially independence day

TheEschaton
10-26-2008, 08:13 PM

Swami71
10-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Memento is an amazing movie.

I also really loved Gattaca. I know, I'm a nerd.

I was going to say Gattaca. One of my top tens.

Marluxians list was really good.

Intacto - good foreign film about luck
Spirited Away - good anime....reminds me of Alice in Wonder Land

Allereli
10-26-2008, 08:24 PM

then use italics, fucktard

Skeeter
10-26-2008, 11:38 PM
you realize italics are FOR the fucktards?

Bobmuhthol
10-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Gayniggers From Outer Space

Allereli
10-26-2008, 11:41 PM

what's the point of posting an asshole response in this thread? It's about movies

Skeeter
10-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Gayniggers From Outer Space

what's it about?

Skeeter
10-26-2008, 11:43 PM
what's the point of posting an asshole response in this thread? It's about movies

I R Confused.

Ignot
10-26-2008, 11:48 PM

It was like a scifi horror but more gore then scare. I thought it was good but the sequels were terrible. If you want a good horror that didn't make the spotlight then you should check out Feast. That's one of my faves.

Furrowfoot
10-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Let's see - some of these may have made it "big" but I don't remember much hype about them...

Sleepers (Barry Levinson)
Swingers (Vaughn/Favreau)
A Walk to Remember
The Count of Monte Cristo (starring Jesus)
Much Ado About Nothing (Branagh)
Richard III (starring Ian McKellan)
The Fox and the Hound (my favorite Disney movie by far)
Galaxy Quest (adding a +1 to this one)
The Majestic (Jim Carrey)
... I'm sure there's more but that'll do for now.

Moist Happenings
10-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Let's see - some of these may have made it "big" but I don't remember much hype about them...

Sleepers (Barry Levinson)
Swingers (Vaughn/Favreau)
A Walk to Remember
The Count of Monte Cristo (starring Jesus)
Much Ado About Nothing (Branagh)
Richard III (starring Ian McKellan)
The Fox and the Hound (my favorite Disney movie by far)
Galaxy Quest (adding a +1 to this one)
The Majestic (Jim Carrey)
... I'm sure there's more but that'll do for now.

I hated Swingers so much when I finally saw it. I just didn't get the point of the movie, and it wasn't all that entertaining to me. I found that the characters were just too over the top, especially Vince Vaughn's. I did learn though that that sort of thing was semi intended. The writer (Main character) basically said that he was friends with these guys, and the characters were largely based on their personalities, just intensified.

Haven't seen Richard III but I usually like Ian McKellan so I'm gonna find it, nor have I seen the Majestic. Gotta get that too.

The rest are pretty good.

Furrowfoot
10-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Haven't seen Richard III but I usually like Ian McKellan so I'm gonna find it, nor have I seen the Majestic. Gotta get that too.

The rest are pretty good.

Richard III is the best "timeshift" Shakespeare I've seen done, and the Majestic is a drama, not a comedy, which probably needs to be said since it's a Carrey flick.

Moist Happenings
10-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Richard III is the best "timeshift" Shakespeare I've seen done, and the Majestic is a drama, not a comedy, which probably needs to be said since it's a Carrey flick.

Ever seen the new(ish) Hamlet that takes place in a Casino? Worst "timeshift" Shakespeare ever. As far as the Majestic goes, I like the idea that it's a drama. Carey needs more Drama roles. Despite what the critics said I loved the Truman Show.

Furrowfoot
10-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Ever seen the new(ish) Hamlet that takes place in a Casino? Worst "timeshift" Shakespeare ever. As far as the Majestic goes, I like the idea that it's a drama. Carey needs more Drama roles. Despite what the critics said I loved the Truman Show.

Yeah, Truman Show was good as well. USA network has provided me a reminder that I should inclue Patch Adams too - not sure how much press it got back at release being a Robin Williams flick.

firegirl
10-27-2008, 12:27 AM
here are some under-rated movies I think..

Swimming with Sharks.
Magnolia
The Believer
Kung Fu Hustle
Closer
High Fidelity
Midnight in the garden of good and evil
Big Night
CJ7
Serenity
8 1/2
High Tension

to add to someone posting Explorers.. I just went on a 80's/relive the childhood kick:
I bought Explorers, Real Genius, Revenge of the Nerds, Shag, Beat Street, Best little Whorehouse in Texas, breakin, Girls just want to have fun, Career Opportunities, American Anthem, Just one of the guys and Loverboy. I think all these movies are so easily forgotten but still pretty damn entertaining.
I am looking for a few more to add to it. I want to try and get them before Blu-Ray takes over.

Moist Happenings
10-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Kung Fu Hustle

Ooh, and The Legend of Drunken Master, too!

Stanley Burrell
10-27-2008, 02:22 AM

Less horror, more suspense, even more mindfuckery. Oh man, I used to watch every single SciFi premiere. All the way back to Mr. Stitch, at least. Then FarScape stopped airing and I got cable emo >:-\

C.H.U.D., though, is one of those deliberately second rate horror films that should've gathered some kind of cult appreciation.

You guys have way better movie appreciation than 90% of the public.

Edited to randomly include: Mute Witness.

Xeromist
10-27-2008, 04:50 AM
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Word.

That movie was excellent and got completely shadowed by the whole "Pirates" craze. My roommate was part of the ship's crew for that movie.

I recently saw a movie called Southland Tales. I'm pretty sure it was made by the same person behind Donnie Darko. It definitely has a similar feeling to it--sort of that darker theme with a little bit of an impending sense of doom. It's some kind of modern spin-off / interpretation of the bible's book of Revelation. Has Sean William Scott, Duane "The Rock" Johnson, the "Inconceivable!" guy from Princess Bride, and a few other well-knowns.

Moist Happenings
10-27-2008, 04:54 AM
Word.

That movie was excellent and got completely shadowed by the whole "Pirates" craze. My roommate was part of the ship's crew for that movie.

I recently saw a movie called Southland Tales. I'm pretty sure it was made by the same person behind Donnie Darko. It definitely has a similar feeling to it--sort of that darker theme with a little bit of an impending sense of doom. It's some kind of modern spin-off / interpretation of the bible's book of Revelation. Has Sean William Scott, Duane "The Rock" Johnson, the "Inconceivable!" guy from Princess Bride, and a few other well-knowns.

Ugh. I didn't like Southland Tales at all. It jumped around too much and never really hooked me. Not because of the jumping around. That's a separate issue. I sort of like movies that jump around, like Love Actually. Master and Commander was great though.

Speaking of movies that were good but never really got the spotlight: Love Actually.

Xeromist
10-27-2008, 05:10 AM
Well shit. I'll have to try again tomorrow.

TheEschaton
10-27-2008, 08:43 AM

Thank you sir.

I find it hilarious that I've gotten more negative rep for these two posts than any political post I've ever made.

Stanley Burrell
10-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Just use Garamond, because everyone already ninja'd Arial Narrow as the eccentric hax0r cool-person font. Garamond that shit up, bitch.

Sorry. I'm really not well-rested or caffeinated right now.

drigore
10-27-2008, 08:48 AM
City of Lost Children
Oldboy
Dark City
The Thing
Near Dark
Midnight Meat Train (new flick, limited release)
Scanners
Extreme Measures
Hard Candy
Event Horizon

SHAFT
10-27-2008, 02:56 PM
City of God is another.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/SoulRebel45thst/city.jpg

Moist Happenings
10-27-2008, 03:02 PM
City of Lost Children
Oldboy
Dark City
The Thing
Near Dark
Scanners
Extreme Measures
Hard Candy
Event Horizon

Haven't heard of a lot of these. In fact the only two I've seen are Event Horizon and The Thing. Event horizon was disappointing to me. I'm just not a fan of horror movies, if you can call it that, but I'm definitely a fan of space movies in general.

The Thing was pretty cool.

The others I'm gonna see if I can get ahold of and check them out.

City of God is another.

No clue what it's about, but I like the name, so I'm gonna get this one too.

Jorddyn
10-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Carey needs more Drama roles. Despite what the critics said I loved the Truman Show.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Gets better every time I watch it.

El Burro
10-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Ice Bandits (little people in space ftw!)
Hamburger: The Movie (Put those cookies back! Mother Fucker!)
I'm Gonna Git you Sucka! (Fuck the cup...)
The Beastmaster (made me want a ferret)

Furrowfoot
10-27-2008, 03:42 PM
City of Lost Children
Oldboy
Dark City
The Thing
Near Dark
Scanners
Extreme Measures
Hard Candy
Event Horizon

Ah, Midnight Meat Train - the source of much hilarity at VegasCon.

AnticorRifling
10-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Gross Pointe Blank
Air Heads
PCU
The Dark Crystal

Ignot
10-28-2008, 01:15 AM
C.H.U.D., though, is one of those deliberately second rate horror films that should've gathered some kind of cult appreciation.

C.H.U.D is a good one and it did have a cult following. It was right up there with Demons. Horrible, horrible, movies but you couldn't help but love them. They don't make cheesy horror flicks like they used to...

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Children of Men

Allereli
10-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Children of Men

I'll agree on that. Clive Owen was amazing in it, and so was the girl

Drisco
10-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Dazed and Confused. Although it does not follow the criteria of this thread, it is a damn good movie.

One that does follow is.... Art School Confidential. It was weird as hell but I liked it.

RichardCranium
10-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Hackers

RichardCranium
10-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Rad. 80s Movie about BMX racing. Used to love it. I'd probably laugh at it now... or at least the clothes in it.

One of my all time favorites. I still remember the movie preview that showed before it was The Dirtbike Kid. I looked into buying this a while back. 80 bucks for a used VHS. I did find a site that had a petition for them to re-release it on DVD. Good luck with that.

Tsa`ah
10-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Dazed and Confused. Although it does not follow the criteria of this thread, it is a damn good movie.

One that does follow is.... Art School Confidential. It was weird as hell but I liked it.

Dazed, I think, would count since it was a complete bomb in theatres.

AnticorRifling
10-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Howard the (mother fuckin) Duck

Trouble
10-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Most have already been mentioned but here are some movies I enjoy that may have been underrated:

Amos and Andrew
Captain Ron
Midnight Run
Serenity
Big Trouble in Little China
Mr. Nanny ("first person who moves gets a facelift!")
The Pacifier
Chronicles of Riddick & Pitch Black
Ladyhawke
My Blue Heaven
Silverado
Spice World (I know I'm gonna regret putting this one up but it makes me laugh)
Cats & Dogs
Harlem Nights
Willow
Princess Bride
Joe vs the Volcano
PCU
Freaked
Vegas Vacation

AnticorRifling
10-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Tank Girl

Trouble
10-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Tank Girl

Ah that reminds me, I actually liked In the Army Now.

Allereli
10-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Ah that reminds me, I actually liked In the Army Now.

Son in Law is better

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Tank Girl

Hell yes.

Stanley Burrell
10-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Super Mario Bros. the movie.

Moist Happenings
10-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Viva los Bio Dome!

Stephen Baldwin at his worst. Awesome movie.

Allereli
10-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Once Upon a Time in Mexico

http://www.cornponeflicks.org/images2/mexico1.jpg

Moist Happenings
10-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Once Upon a Time in Mexico

http://www.cornponeflicks.org/images2/mexico1.jpg

I know this is a really obscure question but is that the one with the guy with the guitars?

Allereli
10-28-2008, 04:33 PM
I know this is a really obscure question but is that the one with the guy with the guitars?

yes

Moist Happenings
10-28-2008, 04:34 PM
yes

Awesome movie then.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Serenity

Some Rogue
10-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Better Off Dead

And one I used to watch a ton as a kid and now I don't know why
Beastmaster

Moist Happenings
10-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Better Off Dead

And one I used to watch a ton as a kid and now I don't know why
Beastmaster

Don't forget Beastmaster 2!

That's the only sequel I know of that ever took a movie into one really odd environment, and then to a completely off the wall change in the second one. Ooh, I take that back. Crocodile Dundee, too, but that to a lesser extent.

SHAFT
10-28-2008, 05:19 PM
No clue what it's about, but I like the name, so I'm gonna get this one too.

Highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. I promise you, you haven't seen anything like it.

City of God that is.

Some Rogue
10-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Ha, remembered another one from back in high school.

Pump Up the Volume

bookanon
10-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Toy and Cloak and Dagger and Wargames were some of the best

Moist Happenings
10-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Toy and Cloak and Dagger and Wargames were some of the best

Do you mean The Toy with Richard Pryor, Toys with Robin Williams, or something else?

Furrowfoot
10-29-2008, 12:47 AM

My first response on seeing this question was "no, that's Desperado"... but I guess I could be wrong since other people have said yes.

Moist Happenings
10-29-2008, 12:49 AM
My first response on seeing this question was "no, that's Desperado"... but I guess I could be wrong since other people have said yes.

...Crap. Now I'm gonna have to watch both again to figure out which one I was thinking of.

Sean
10-29-2008, 12:53 AM
Once Upon a Time in Mexico is the sequel to Deperado.

Moist Happenings
10-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Ohhhhh okay. Now I have to watch them both again because I didn't realize that, having watched them several years apart from one another.

Sean
10-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Ohhhhh okay. Now I have to watch them both again because I didn't realize that, having watched them several years apart from one another.

Are you serious? Both movies had Banderas, Hayek, Cheech, and guitar cases full of guns and you never made the connection?

Furrowfoot
10-29-2008, 01:00 AM

Ok, I feel better now - I've seen Desperado plenty of times but have yet to see Once Upon a Time... time to visit the Netflix queue.

NocturnalRob
10-29-2008, 08:40 AM
I recently saw a movie called Southland Tales

saw this movie last night. it is awful. at least D. Darko held my attention and had a consistent storyline, as whacked out as it was.

Moist Happenings
10-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Are you serious? Both movies had Banderas, Hayek, Cheech, and guitar cases full of guns and you never made the connection?

Well, I mean, I remember thinking both of them were good movies, but they weren't memorable enough to me to remember the plot, or anything other than one of the guys had a thing with guitars.

I'm pretty sure I was supremely drunk for one or probably both viewings.

Timjirdos
10-29-2008, 08:49 AM

No dude, it's still awesome.

NocturnalRob
10-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Last edited by Sean : 10-29-2008 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Hot bitches deserve to have their name spelled right.

so do awesome movies...

AnticorRifling
10-29-2008, 09:16 AM
10th and Wolf.

NocturnalRob
10-29-2008, 09:20 AM
10th and Wolf.

never heard of that one, but after reading this description, how can i not see it?

February, 1991. Tommy, a Desert Storm marine dismayed that the US isn't taking out Saddam, breaks some rules and faces hard labor. An FBI agent offers him an out: go home to his gritty, dockside home in Pennsylvania and help get the goods on an Italian heroine dealer; in return, no prison time and no arrest of Tommy's brother Vincent and cousin Joey. Loyalty to family conflicts with loyalty to the code of the street. Can Tommy sort it out, protect his brother and cousin, and stay true? Do young men die - in the sands of the Middle East and on the mean streets of the US - for no reason?

AnticorRifling
10-29-2008, 09:20 AM
never heard of that one, but after reading this description, how can i not see it?

Exactly.

Allereli
11-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Spartan (2004) w/ Val Kilmer, Derek Luke and William H. Macy

Allereli
12-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Prediction for the future: Australia

It's tanking box office-wise, but I loved it.

Kayse
12-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Saved!

It's freakin' hilarious.

Warriorbird
12-05-2008, 11:51 PM
A lot of these movies did WAAY too well.

Hmm.

Sunshine. Layer Cake. Six String Samurai. The Cat Returns. Mongol. Tears of the Black Tiger.

Androidpk
12-06-2008, 12:17 AM
My two picks. Brazil and Sublime.

Warriorbird
12-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Brazil is great.

BigWorm
12-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Brazil is great.

And a total mindfuck. Hard to exlain to other people.

BigWorm
12-06-2008, 12:50 AM
A lot of these movies did WAAY too well.

Hmm.

Sunshine. Layer Cake. Six String Samurai. The Cat Returns. Mongol. Tears of the Black Tiger.

Layer Cake is the only one of those that I have. That and The Business were really similar movies that I both liked.

Androidpk
12-06-2008, 01:00 AM
And a total mindfuck. Hard to exlain to other people.

Hehe, I don't even bother trying.

The Ponzzz
12-06-2008, 01:07 AM
Donnie Darko got blind sided as it came out when the Butterfly Effect hit.

Warriorbird
12-06-2008, 01:19 AM
I explain Brazil to people this way. Sometimes insanity is the best escape.

Kayse
12-06-2008, 01:22 AM

I feel like D. Darko has a pretty big cult following though, but yeah it probably could have done better.

Brazil is great.

Agreed. A lot of Gilliam's stuff is under appreciated. Too bad.

Proxy
12-06-2008, 02:12 AM

I'll second Darko. Great movie.

Some other ones; Primer, Mirror Mask, Serenity(Firefly Movie), Pulse, Prophecy, and The Order.

Edit: Mirror mask got good reviews from what I recall, but it bombed in the box office if memory serves. Also, toss in Blindness, a recent one that sucked ass in the box office as well, but was worth the time to see. Though the ending kinda sucked.

Edit2: Johnny Mnemonic, 1408, 13 ghosts, and The Fog(not SK's Mist.) All of which sucked box office wise but were worth the time.

BigWorm
12-06-2008, 02:15 AM
I'll second Darko. Great movie.

Some other ones; Primer, Mirror Mask, Serenity, Pulse, Prophecy, and The Order.

Primer was interesting but not that great. Haven't seen any of the others.

diethx
12-06-2008, 02:25 AM
Edit2: Johnny Mnemonic, 1408, 13 ghosts, and The Fog(not SK's Mist.) All of which sucked box office wise but were worth the time.

Agreed with the first three, The Fog blew horse dong.

Proxy
12-06-2008, 02:27 AM
The fog was a great story line to follow, though the director was a f'n idiot. And the way they truncated the ending blew chunks.

The Ponzzz
12-06-2008, 02:41 AM
1408 was great, wish it was a little longer.

The Game was another great movie, little older.

diethx
12-06-2008, 03:00 AM
I love The Game so so sososososo much. Awesome movie.

Proxy
12-06-2008, 03:00 AM
again, The Ponzzz presses a valid point. 1408 = longer = win.

PS: Everytime I see your handle, I get the song "The Fonz" by smash mouth stuck in my head. Because your The Ponzzz...

The Ponzzz
12-06-2008, 03:25 AM
Hahah yeah, I got the nick name about 15 years ago in school from a kid name Pat. Directly pulled from from Happy Days. The three Zs are because I'm Mario the III.

Looking at my DvD rack...

I don't recall if it was in the spotlight, but the Talent Mr. Ripley was a pretty good flick. And not sure if previously mentioned, but 12 Monkeys is full of win.

diethx
12-06-2008, 03:58 AM
12 Monkeys was awesome, ya.

Warriorbird
12-06-2008, 04:17 AM
Like I said before... a lot of these didn't do all that badly. Still good flicks though. I love the fact that White Rabbit plays at the end of The Game.

Proxy
12-06-2008, 04:19 AM
12 monkeys = win

Silent Hill the movie was good to. Oh, and how the hell did I forget about "A Scanner Darkly" that is likely one of the best movies to come out in the last 5 years IMHO.

Miscast
12-06-2008, 05:26 AM

Best movie ever.

Danical
12-06-2008, 05:36 AM
http://i2.iofferphoto.com/img/item/272/587/66/o_condorman_widescreen_small.jpg

Miscast
12-06-2008, 05:36 AM
C.H.U.D.
The one with the monsters in the sewers right? I saw that when I was like 5. Badass.

Miscast
12-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Solarbabies (1986)

Darkness (horror movie with the girl who played rogue in the horrible X-men movies)

Danical
12-06-2008, 06:43 AM

While Shawshank is my most favorite movie of all time, it did fucking unbelievably bad in the box office; It just barely cleared its 25m budget. It got nominated for 7 oscars (won none) and went largely unnoticed; only afterward did people really understand how awesome it was. :(

Another example is Children of Men which made way under it's budget but I feel it's been the best all around movie I've seen in the last 3 years.

Serenity was awesome but that's because I love all things Firefly.

I also like Kinky Boots; fuck off.

Stanley Burrell
12-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Three Kings was pretty alright.

Celephais
12-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Actually it's a trilogy. El Mariachi was the first in the series.

Ashlander
12-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Shawn of the Dead

Skeeter
12-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Hot Fuzz

Kayse
12-06-2008, 12:18 PM
12 monkeys = win

Silent Hill the movie was good to. Oh, and how the hell did I forget about "A Scanner Darkly" that is likely one of the best movies to come out in the last 5 years IMHO.

A Scanner Darkly was pretty good. I love the whole look of the film.

Bobmuhthol
12-06-2008, 12:26 PM
<<Actually it's a trilogy. El Mariachi was the first in the series.>>

Once Upon a Time in Mexico is still the sequel to Desperado, regardless of this fact.

CrystalTears
12-06-2008, 01:16 PM
A Scanner Darkly
Donnie Darko
Stardust
Kinky Boots
12 Monkeys
What Dreams May Come
Grosse Point Blank
City of Angels
Serenity
Superbad
Disturbia
Idiocracy

War Angel
12-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Prophecy I II & III
Girl Interuppted
The Manchurian Candidate
Birth - Nicole Kidman
The Last Legion
The Boondock Saints

The Ponzzz
12-06-2008, 01:23 PM
12 monkeys = win

I didn't like the Silent Hill movie. Someone not familiar with the game is left wondering what happened through parts of it.

Jahira
12-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Donnie Darko and Superbad both made the spotlight.

I hated Idiocracy - good concept, terrible movie

Proxy
12-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Stardust & Disturbia

Stardust was/is a damn good movie. Sucked that it bombed bad enough in the box office that we'll likely never seen anything like it again. Disturbia was good to, So was The Faculty. Urban Ledgend was alright-ish to.

Tea & Strumpets
12-06-2008, 02:32 PM
The Little Mermaid 2

Proxy
12-06-2008, 03:02 PM

FERNGULY!!!!

Bobmuhthol
12-06-2008, 09:39 PM
<<Superbad>>

WTF are you talking about? This is one of the most widely-known recent movies.

SHAFT
12-07-2008, 03:34 AM
Spygame with Pitt and Redford.

Tea & Strumpets
12-07-2008, 03:59 AM
Here are a few that weren't really great movies, but they gave me a chuckle.

I Spy - Eddie Murphy & one of those Wilson brothers

The Freshman - Ferris Bueller & the Godfather

The Matador - Brosnan and Greg Kineer I think

Moist Happenings
12-07-2008, 10:59 AM
The Last Castle with Robert Redford.

I don't know anything about what it did at the box office, but I'd never really heard much of it before I saw it the other day, so For the Love of the Game with Kevin Costner. Available on hulu.com right now to watch.

And if I haven't said it already: I'll agree with Stardust. One of my favorite movies, and that doesn't make me all the way gay.

Killer Kitten
12-07-2008, 11:38 AM

That one is a total CLASSIC with some awesome lines.

"Son of a bitch must pay!"

I have a copy and it's worn well over the years.

Stanley Burrell
12-07-2008, 10:08 PM
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Because of Uma.

Methais
12-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Midnight Madness (Comedy, 1980) was awesome. It was also Michael J. Fox's first film ever. I dunno why it never caught on, it was funny as hell.

Better Off Dead (Comedy, 1986 I think?) was pretty awesome too.

Flurbins
12-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Ravenous

The Assignment

Grandma's Boy

Brotherhood of the Wolf

BigWorm
12-07-2008, 11:44 PM
The Last Castle with Robert Redford.

I don't know anything about what it did at the box office, but I'd never really heard much of it before I saw it the other day, so For the Love of the Game with Kevin Costner. Available on hulu.com right now to watch.

And if I haven't said it already: I'll agree with Stardust. One of my favorite movies, and that doesn't make me all the way gay.

Last Castle was cheesy as fuck.

Allereli
12-08-2008, 01:01 AM
Grandma's Boy

Unfortunately I only saw part of this before passing out, but it was fucking hilarious. I need to see the rest.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
12-08-2008, 01:13 AM
Last Castle was cheesy as fuck.

I really liked it. :/

Then again, I really like Robert Redford.

BigWorm
12-08-2008, 01:23 AM
Unfortunately I only saw part of this before passing out, but it was fucking hilarious. I need to see the rest.

Oh yeah, that movie has some great quotes, mostly involving car beds.

J.P.: All I've ever cared about was video games and they made me a millionaire. So maybe I don't know what the Civil War was, or who invented the helicopter even though I own one, but I did beat The Legend of Zelda before I could walk. I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

Jeff: Come in. Hurry up.
Alex: Are you sure this is OK?
Jeff: Yeah, it's totally cool. Just keep your voice down - my roommates are sleeping.
Alex: You mean your parents?
Jeff: Yeah, same thing.
Alex: ...Nice jammies.
Jeff: Thanks! They're a present from my roommates.
Alex: That's cool.

Alex: Dude, your bed is a car...
Jeff: Yeah, but it's a fucking sweet car.

Jeff: What's up Douche Bigalow?
Alex: Hey Speed Racer. Did you valet your bed?
Jeff: No, I self parked it in your ass.

Alex: Dude, why don't you pick up your phone? I've been calling for the past half hour!
Dante: Sorry bro, I was putting up my Christmas tree!
Alex: Dude? It's the middle of July.
Dante: Get the fuck outta here! It is?
Alex: Dude? Why are you naked?
Dante: ooohhh shit! I am naked! Come in.
[turns around]
Alex: Your ass is tanner than my face.
Dante: Its not tan kid, its bronzed.

DDR Machine: [Jeff has just won a DDR Challenge] A NEW HIGH SCORE!
Jeff: [to Bobby, the defeated co-worker] What does "high score" mean? New high score, is that bad? What does that mean? Did I break it?

BigWorm
12-08-2008, 01:24 AM
I really liked it. :/

Then again, I really like Robert Redford.

Just my opinion, not to mention its probably been 8? years (whenever it was in theatres) since I've seen.

Danical
12-08-2008, 01:33 AM
I could name a shit-ton of indie films that never got the spotlight but that's pretty commonplace.

Androidpk
12-08-2008, 04:55 AM
I want my two dollars!

Cephalopod
12-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Cabin Boy! Stupid, yet funny.

Also, ditto to Ravenous.

CrystalTears
12-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Equilibrium

nocturnix
12-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Secretary - not at all what i expected, strange, but at least unique and entertaining. (the cover is why i rented it of course) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274812/

Envy - if you like jack black, and ben stiller this is something a little more off beat for them. still funny, and a little weird too but interesting.

Aviator - i know it was in the theater, but its good and I didnt hear much about it until years later when i rented it.

Ill think of others eventually.

Drakefang
12-08-2008, 05:35 PM
No idea if either of these were mentioned, but I enjoyed both and they were...off the radar when they came out. However, we know at least one of the two had some huge actors in it, but was fairly ignored until they got big. The two movies are Taps and Split Second (I think). Split Second was a Rutger Hauer sci-fi/horror movie...if I got the name right. Pretty much all his movies are decent but borderline straight to DVD. Event Horizon is still the scariest movie I've ever seen simply because of it's depiction of hell. Not sure any of those were big in the theatre.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
12-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Secretary - not at all what i expected, strange, but at least unique and entertaining. (the cover is why i rented it of course)

Secretary is one of my favorite movies of all time. With most people though it's a love or hate thing, I've noticed. They get it and like it, or they don't get it and think it's dumb.

m1kinsey
12-08-2008, 09:09 PM
The Keep

Very Dark. Very Gothic. Scared the crap out of me as a youngster.

Killer Kitten
12-11-2008, 10:45 AM
One Hour Photo

Fallen
12-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Suburban Commando.

Kayse
12-11-2008, 10:51 AM
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and The Royal Tenenbaums. I know they are Wes Anderson films and he has an OK following, but they didn't get much attention otherwise. His movies are always cleverly done and I love the humor. The production design on his movies is fantastic as well.

Fallen
12-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Oh, and They Live.

PUT ON THE FUCKING GLASSES

CrystalTears
12-11-2008, 11:19 AM
One Hour Photo
This was great. I never thought I'd get used to Robin Williams being bad/crazy, but he does it well.

Clove
12-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Oh, and They Live.

PUT ON THE FUCKING GLASSESI came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Clove
12-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Dude, it was nominated for best picture and got a whole bunch of Oscars. How far into the spotlight do you want it to be? :tongue:That's why I deleted the post.

Clove
12-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Fine. The (original) Hitcher.

Fallen
12-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Rudgar Howard was fucking AWESOME in that. I liked the remake too, even though everyone else thought it sucked. Sean Bean is the man.

iJin
12-22-2008, 07:38 PM
I am so completely stoked that I found the best musical-turned-horror movies ever--The Phantom of the Opera (1989).

Last time I remembered watching this was when I was 8 years old, and I have always loved it. I think it was how I got into musicals in the first place. Misha Segal sang an awesome version of Don Juan Triumphant, which is a song I covered for a really old solo act in school. :D Only a couple of brief lyrics did I remember of it, which have haunted me pretty much all my life, that have helped me find the movie itself. The songs and idea behind the whole horror version is really good.

You could listen to that clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEQe-u0rFdo

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/3391/phantomoftheoperadi5.jpg

Hoping to buy it on DVD soon, after I found out they have remastered it. Yay.

Silique
12-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Ronin

Back
12-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Equilibrium

Indeed.

Also, Reign of Fire.

CrystalTears
12-22-2008, 08:36 PM
The Time Machine

Sean of the Thread
12-22-2008, 08:44 PM
The Time Machine

Hey now that's a good movie.

I gotta say a lot of VD's movies NOW are so out of date ridiculous funny.. and even a couple are watchable. Hell Bad Boys is out of date but not as good yet.

Back
12-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Zardoz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbGVIdA3dx0)

Miscast
12-23-2008, 01:31 AM
Zathura

Tolwynn
12-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Agreed on The Game from earlier posts. I'll add Rock & Rule and Heavenly Creatures as well.

Cephalopod
12-23-2008, 09:54 AM
"LEXX - Tales from a Parallel Universe"... four mini-movies, then became a short-run series, as well. Good, cheesy sci-fi. (as compared to bad, cheesy sci-fi... which the Sci-Fi Network airs every Saturday at 8pm)

CrystalTears
12-23-2008, 10:06 AM
"LEXX - Tales from a Parallel Universe"... four mini-movies, then became a short-run series, as well. Good, cheesy sci-fi. (as compared to bad, cheesy sci-fi... which the Sci-Fi Network airs every Saturday at 8pm)
I own that series on DVD. Love it. I totally get why she has a thing for the Brunanjee (Kai) cause he's hot.. in a creepy, dead, emo sort of way. :D

diethx
12-23-2008, 03:45 PM
I used to watch that on Sci-Fi. Creepy and awesome.

Methais
12-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Zathura

Is that Uncle Phil in your avatar?

Miscast
12-23-2008, 03:51 PM
It is.

Androidpk
12-23-2008, 04:02 PM

Maybe my hazy memory is just getting the better of me, but I could swear the Sci-Fi Network USED to play good stuff. I've tried watching it recently and all the garbage they play now..geeze..

CrystalTears
12-23-2008, 04:09 PM
It used to be better. We used to watch it all the time. Now we only watch it for Battlestar Gallactica when they decide we're fucking worthy to watch it. Splitting a series in half has royally pissed me off.

StrayRogue
12-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Shawshank Redemption.