PDA

View Full Version : Weapons

Anferis
10-24-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm trying to get my bard off polearms since I've got two other characters that use polearms (can't get enough), but I'd like to use something different on my bard and take advantage of the sonic weapon stuff.

Thrown sonic weapons are absolutely fucking useless.
I can't get a long bow summoned as said possible (http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Weapon_Song_(1012)#Additional_weapon_types).

Any suggestions?

Edit :
I mean, what do you prefer and whatnot. I'm all for unorthodox builds too.

Some Rogue
10-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Pure!

Anferis
10-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Sonic runestaff?

Some Rogue
10-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Sonic shield, open hand, pure casting pwnage.

Anferis
10-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Train brawling or no?
Also, what spells do direct damage?

Sorry4BardNewb

Edit :

Will it be better than this?

Some wide-ring double chain partially deflects the onslaught of the crushing attack.
You thrust with a sonic warlance at a dark orc!
AS: +173 vs DS: +83 with AvD: +49 + d100 roll: +27 = +166
... and hit for 33 points of damage!
Flattened the dark orc's right hand.

** As you hit, your sonic warlance unleashes a blast of sonic energy! **
... 35 points of damage!
Hard blow to chest breaking ribs!
Hard to breathe!
The dark orc is stunned!
Roundtime: 6 sec.
R>
A great boar barrels in!
R>kil
Some wide-ring double chain partially deflects the onslaught of the crushing attack.
You thrust with a sonic warlance at a dark orc!
AS: +173 vs DS: +62 with AvD: +49 + d100 roll: +13 = +173
... and hit for 51 points of damage!
Left kneecap smashed into pulp.
The dark orc is knocked to the ground!

** With a loud snap, a blast of energy bursts from your sonic warlance! **
... 45 points of damage!
Poke to the left eye continues into the brain!
A dark orc gives a last shudder and dies.
R>kil
You thrust with a sonic warlance at a great boar!
By amazing chance, the great boar evades the attack!
R>kil
...wait 1 seconds.
R>kil
AS: +173 vs DS: +74 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +62 = +196
... and hit for 95 points of damage!
Well placed strike to back shatters vertebrae!
The great boar is knocked to the ground!
R>
A great boar struggles to rise but fails in the attempt.
R>kil
AS: +173 vs DS: +16 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +92 = +284
... and hit for 168 points of damage!
Awesome shot shatters ribs and punctures lung!
The great boar lets out a final agonized squeal and dies.

That's pretty orgasmic :\

NocturnalRob
10-24-2008, 09:37 AM
it took you more than one shot to kill both critters so...yeah, pures are better.

Anferis
10-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Yeah, plus I just splatted right after posting that.

Some Rogue
10-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Hmm, didn't realize your level was that low...being a pure would be rough. I don't have any experience with those levels as a pure so I'm not much help.

Anferis
10-24-2008, 09:56 AM
I've leveled a sorcerer and wizard so I'm used to coming back in after hunting and only getting half fried at low levels.

Here's my theoretical training plan that I half-stole from that other post

1x AU until 35 (brig?)
1x SU
2x Brawl
1x PT
1x HP
1x Mana Control Mental until 24
.5x Minor Elems
1x Bard
1x Manip Lore

The bard is about halfway to level 13 and will get Song of Unravelling then. Plus he can brawl things down if he runs out of mana.

Any problems seen with this?

NocturnalRob
10-24-2008, 10:14 AM
just what SR said about it being tough going as a pure early on. until you get 1030 it can be a difficult path. but if you're up for it, rock on. pure bards = win.

Anferis
10-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Skills migrating now. Sucks that I'm not going to be able to play it until like 20234 weeks from now

Edit:
What size shield? And should I ever stop manip to pick up air?

NocturnalRob
10-24-2008, 10:35 AM
well, to be fair, you're only halfway to 13...i wouldn't have started migrating anything. get to 30 first as a sonic poler or however you want. then migrate/fixskills to pure.

and if you're gonna go pure, air lore is pretty worthless until you have the points to spare. and even then, i can think of other ways to spend your tps that would be more beneficial.

shield: don't see any dodging training, so tower? not sure. get other people's opinion on that. i don't even use a shield a lot of the time because i do a lot of climbing in and out of mages and am too lazy/forgetful to put it back up. then again, i'm fucking glowing most of the time, so DS is never really an issue.

Some Rogue
10-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Voln, CoL, or Sunfist?

If you were voln, you could get by with less brawling and use that to pick up more skills.

My bard is only 1x brawling now that I can just use spells so I picked up extra bardsong ranks and I'm working on armor and air lore now.

I currently use a small shield. I don't see air lore as a big priority for me since the main benefit from it is going to be just a shield size penalty reduction.

Anferis
10-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Right now its CoL but I'm thinking about moving to Voln for Fu when I run out of mana while hunting undead.

I'll probably move to 1x Brawling at a later level, but for now I think the AS or whatever the factor in Fu is would help being as low as I am.

SR, Does your bard have dodging ranks? I don't have any so I'm not really sure if a small shield would be good or not. I'm pretty sure I'll get wtfpwnd in offensive with no dodging ranks while trying to brawl things down though.

I probably won't do air lore then unless I really can't find anywhere to dump my TPs.

Rob, I would probably do that, but I'm impatient, and this seems like a pretty amusing alternative to poling things down even if it isn't as effective. Also I'm incredibly bored with GS and want to have something interesting to keep me active.

Edit:
Whoops, no fixskills and no silver. Guess I should wait.

Some Rogue
10-24-2008, 11:01 AM
I'll probably move to 1x Brawling at a later level, but for now I think the AS or whatever the factor in Fu is would help being as low as I am.

1x brawling is adequate for Fu, otherwise the pure classes could never do it.

SR, Does your bard have dodging ranks? I don't have any so I'm not really sure if a small shield would be good or not. I'm pretty sure I'll get wtfpwnd in offensive with no dodging ranks while trying to brawl things down though.

I have no dodge ranks but I tested my DS with each size shield and small won. To go much bigger you really need more than 1x in shield use.

As for getting your ass kicked...1002/1005 help you a lot. 1002 is especially nice when they carry a weapon and shield and you start to get some manipulation lore under your belt. Hierophants in the Skull temple carry both and I can usually get both to shatter and occasionally get an outright kill on them with the shatter. :D

Anferis
10-24-2008, 11:08 AM
As of now I use my 1005 sparingly while hunting and it does help. I just don't have the mana to keep using it.

You are currently singing: Fortitude Song
Song of Luck
Kai's Triumph Song
Song of Valor
Sonic Weapon Song

The effects of your lyrical medley are fading. Your medley will renew shortly. Your current renewal cost is 31 mana.

I only have 48 mana.

NocturnalRob
10-24-2008, 11:14 AM
okay, song of luck...stop. you don't need it this early on. that will cut down on mana costs tremendously.

at level 13, you should really be using any of your songs. get a wizard spellup and go with that. nothing should be swinging at you that hard anyway

Anferis
10-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Taking luck and weapon reduced it to 12.

Can't find anyone that knows elemental spells in Ta'Vaalor. Probably move to Landing/Icemule soon.

NocturnalRob
10-24-2008, 11:25 AM
you should only be singing your weapon at this point, IMO. spells should be readily available. even if it's just dims and look. do you need the added AS from kais?

Anferis
10-24-2008, 11:29 AM
I probably don't need it, but it does make me pretty happy.

I did manage to find dims, and if I stance dance and nothing comes in while I swing my lance I do okay. Unfortunately, I'm unlucky and I get stuff walking in during those six seconds I'm swinging and I get caught off-guard.

Lumi
10-24-2008, 03:46 PM
>Roundtime: 6 sec.

That right there says "pure is better".

Obviously, I'm never going to speak ill of pure bards, but your original question was asking for other fun/interesting builds. You might just go straight brawling.

Brawling weapon RTs + sonic weapon + air lore + 1035 == sonic flare machine-gun. It pwns pants in its own right.

Best part is, it's the simplest build ever. Same as a classic SnB build, but with brawling instead of OHE.

Just a thought. If you want to go pure, though, there's like half a dozen threads about it right here.

Anferis
10-24-2008, 03:49 PM
I planned to do a build I mentioned earlier in this thread which would mean I could cast and brawl. It'd be fun, but not until level 35.