PDA

View Full Version : Cashing an Idea?

Crazy Bard
10-22-2008, 06:56 PM
This really cool idea came to me about a couple weeks ago during a trip to Chicago. I've been thinking about it a lot lately, did some research, but I can't really find anything informative about turning ideas into inventions.

So I'm wondering ..Is there any company that I can send a presentation, too, or website I can go to with decent information. I'm not looking to spend ridiculous money on this, either. Thanks

Warriorbird
10-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Talk to a patent attorney if it's worth enough to you.

thefarmer
10-22-2008, 07:06 PM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/blogs/irondequoit/uploaded_images/Infomercials-796838.jpg

Ashliana
10-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Depends.. there are companies that will take your idea, if they like it, and do all the work. You'll get a tiny cut, but depending on how popular it is, still be a lot.

On the other hand, if you take the risk yourself and try to bring it to market--you get all the rewards. Talking to a patent lawyer, like someone suggested, could help.

Sean of the Thread
10-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Tell me I won't tell anyone I promise.

I swear I invented cowboy boot bowling shoes backing in 1979 but I got espionagededdeded.

Don't let it happen to you.

Moist Happenings
10-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Before you take it to any companies, definitely file a patent. Whether it's simply an idea, or a product that you've invented that you've got designs, schematics and marketing strategies for, patent it. Only costs like 15 bucks to file a patent with the patent clerk.

Amber
10-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Document everything before you do anything at all. Detail the idea, every potential use you can think of for it, even if they sound off the wall. E-mail a copy to yourself, mail a copy to yourself, and then see a patent attorney. He'll be able to tell you if you have a patentable idea or not and help you to file a patent. Once you have a patent pending, market your idea or let your patent attorney do so. You can sell licensing rights for your patent or sell the patent itself at your discretion. I'm part inventor on a patent that's been licensed to two different companies and I have to say the royalty payments come in handy. I never would have been able to bring this to fruition without our patent attorneys though.