PDA

View Full Version : Help: Bicycle Ticket

Danical
10-15-2008, 06:58 PM
So, I was a passenger on a Tandem bike and got a ticket for "failing to yield the right of way to oncoming traffic."

I have no access to the steering or braking as the passenger but my driver decided to go through a stop sign. There were about 30 others that were going through it (it was bike night) and the oncoming traffic (car) was already at a full stop.

I've already plead not guilty because, wtf, does the passenger in a car get a ticket when the driver gets a DUI?

What should I expect?

What should I do?

Suppa Hobbit Mage
10-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Know how I know your gay?

tandem
passenger

Seriously though, who gets a ticket on a bicycle?

Danical
10-15-2008, 07:17 PM
The cops in my town are aggressive and even moreso when it's bike night (about 750-1k people get on bikes and ride around downtown the first thursday of the month - there's a theme every month).

I've already gotten a ticket for "failing to come to a complete stop at a stop sign on my bike." While being written up, 3 other bicyclists did the very same thing. Whatever.

Ignot
10-15-2008, 07:25 PM
how much is the ticket?

Danical
10-15-2008, 07:28 PM
158 but I already plead not guilty so it might be up to 300 in civil processing if I lose :(

I assumed I would win but I dunno.

Ignot
10-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Wow. that really sucks. that is the stupidest ticket I have ever heard. Sorry you gotta go through that.

Swami71
10-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Is the driver fighting the ticket?

Gan
10-15-2008, 09:01 PM
I really dont know where to start with this other than to ask if you had a brake on your end of the bike and did you actively pedal through the stop sign along with the driver?

I would contest it, but thats me.

This has to be the stupidest ticket I've ever heard written.

It is good for a laugh, even in your pain.

Tea & Strumpets
10-15-2008, 09:19 PM
That's awesome. Take this all the way to the supreme court.

I think for the most part for traffic citations that the judge just takes the cop's word for it, but there's a chance with this one that it'll give the judge a laugh so he won't bother.

Allereli
10-15-2008, 09:39 PM
bring in photos of the bike as evidence you couldn't brake

or just wheel in the bike itself if you want to be obnoxious

Drew
10-15-2008, 11:31 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/backwardhatclub/country-1.jpg

Amber
10-16-2008, 05:34 AM
I'd plead not guilty also.

Alfster
10-16-2008, 06:26 AM
...bike night once a month sounds really gay

Gan
10-16-2008, 07:38 AM
RALLY!

RainyDay2080
10-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Agreed on the stupidest ticket ever thing. Hell even if you have a brake on the back what are you supposed to do? Slam it on and dump the two of you over in the intersection because the guy in front is trying to go while you try to stop? I don't usually bash on cops but they need to take their nightsticks outta their asses.

RD

SolitareConfinement
10-16-2008, 11:16 AM
So, the cop is going to show up for that shit? seriously? they must really need to raise money in your town or something. If they are giving out bullshit biking tickets they must be all out bored. but basically i would make the analogy to the judge that you did but without the use of DUI use speeding ticket or same situation running a stop sign informing the judge you didn't have access to breaking/etc so you were nothing more than a passenger.

Tsa`ah
10-16-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm still attempting to stop myself from laughing.

Danical
11-04-2008, 02:24 PM
I have court in 2 hours!

We'll see how this turns out.

Moist Happenings
11-04-2008, 02:27 PM
I have court in 2 hours!

We'll see how this turns out.

Don't forget to talk to the prosecutor and play the WTF card. If you're lucky the cop won't even show up, and you get out of it altogether. My father used to give out tickets constantly to meet his quota, and then never show up to the court date.

But yeah, if you talk to the prosecutor he or she will probably at least recommend the absolute bare minimum fine before letting you argue your case to the judge.

Sean of the Thread
11-04-2008, 02:28 PM
I've tried to avoid this thread because it cracks me up so hard my side hurts and I almost shit myself everytime.

rofl rofl rofl

Sean of the Thread
11-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Don't forget to talk to the prosecutor and play the WTF card. If you're lucky the cop won't even show up, and you get out of it altogether. My father used to give out tickets constantly to meet his quota, and then never show up to the court date.

But yeah, if you talk to the prosecutor he or she will probably at least recommend the absolute bare minimum fine before letting you argue your case to the judge.

Cops generally like to show up. They get paid extra! and don't have do shit.

Danical
11-04-2008, 02:30 PM

True. Time and a half to sit on their asses.

I'd show up if I were a cop.

Paradii
11-04-2008, 02:35 PM
That sucks that you have to go into court and state that you were a passenger on a tandem bike.

That's one hell of a public outing. How will your dad take the news?

Anebriated
11-04-2008, 02:39 PM

That depends on the state. In NY and Jersey cops get paid to be in court so they will generally show up when people fight tickets. In PA they do not so its easy to fight and win against tickets.

Danical
11-04-2008, 03:02 PM
That sucks that you have to go into court and state that you were a passenger on a tandem bike.

That's one hell of a public outing. How will your dad take the news?

Touche. :(

RainyDay2080
11-05-2008, 05:57 AM
Well? What happened?

RD

LMingrone
11-05-2008, 09:12 AM
You happen to live in New Haven, CT? They ticketed 100+ people last week for riding on the sidewalk. Seems like they're cracking down on all the *DANGEROUS* bicyclists.

Deathravin
11-05-2008, 09:27 AM
158 but I already plead not guilty so it might be up to 300 in civil processing if I lose :(

I assumed I would win but I dunno.

$158? Good LA-URD that's a lotta money... how `bout I give you 2 dollars an I polish the stop signs on the intersections?

Tea & Strumpets
11-05-2008, 09:44 AM

I went to fight a ticket one time, and the cop didn't show up. So then they call the cop/police station/whatever, and I have to wait another hour for the fucker to drive over.

Moist Happenings
11-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah it depends on the state and the circumstances. My father did get paid extra to show up, but he didn't like being a douche bag 100% of the time and giving out way more tickets than he normally would have to meet his quota, so he'd skip it a lot.

He also was sort of making a lot of extra money selling drugs in the evidence locker and my godfather's farm to the mafia, but that's a different story.

Gan
11-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Our county did not pay for ticket protest/court appearance. It did pay if we were given a subpoena to appear in trial.

HPD was a no-pay once up on a time. I dont know what it is now.

I do know that I've protested a ticket through HPD and the officer was a no-show. Ticket dismissed.

Danical
11-05-2008, 02:19 PM
I won!

There's a story that goes with it but I'm at work atm.

Atlanteax
11-05-2008, 02:36 PM
I won!

The story isn't graphic, I hope!

Xeromist
11-05-2008, 02:48 PM
I won!

Oh good!! I was seriously perturbed by your ticket.

Paradii
11-05-2008, 03:22 PM
I am also glad you got out of the ticket, it sounded pretty redic. I am sure it's a great story that you should never tell anyone until you are on your death bed.

Danical
11-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Alright, so, I get to the courthouse 45 minutes early. I'm sitting waiting for the traffic court to open. Usually they open up early so the bailiff can start the process. Only 1 other guy is there around 15 minutes before trail is supposed to begin and still no bailiff.

I start talking to the guy mostly about the previous monday night football game with the Steelers. We're getting along pretty good so I figure I'd ask him what he got ticketed for. He looks at me and says, "You're Daniel, right?" I nod. He continues, "Yeah, I wrote you the ticket."

So now, I'm like, jesus titty fucking christ, really? It's 5 past 2 PM and still no one so we ask around and finally get someone at the front desk. It turns out the trial was supposed to be on the 14th and not the 4th so they fucked up. The woman asks if we want to come back on the 14th and we both say we'd rather just get it over with now. She says it'll take about 10 minutes to see if there's a judge around willing to hear the case.

We walk over to some tables and wait. I figured what the hell, I'll keep talking to the guy, he seems cool enough. Turns out, he was born in the same hospital as me, graduated from high school in 2000 (I did in 1999) 15 minutes away from me. He worked in Monterey County for a while before now working in my town for 2.5 years. At some point during the conversation he says he'll just dismiss the charges if we can't find a judge. Within seconds, the woman comes back saying they have a judge - weak.

We get in there and he recounts every detail of the night with complete accuracy - I was impressed. Once he's done, I get the chance to cross examine and I ask him, "Do you recall if I was the passenger or driver of the tandem bike?" He doesn't recall. Now it's my turn for testimony and I say I didn't have access to the breaks or steering. His turn to cross examine and he has no questions. Judge says reasonable doubt as to who's driving, case dismissed.

I walk out with the guy, shake his hand and tell him I'll see him around town. I felt pretty good about that.

So, I go to my car and find that it got towed. I parked in secretive Merrill Lynch spot; I park in this spot all the time and never had any problems. Super, so after dodging the bullet for court fees, I have to pay a shit-ton to get my car. I decided I've got nothing to lose so I go into Merrill Lynch and ask for any information they have, basically to show I was there so I can get my car out for free. After talking with a rep for about 20 minutes, not only did I manage to glean some superb information, I walked out with physical evidence that I was there.

I walk 7 blocks to the impound lot and plead my case to the guy. He calls Merrill Lynch to verify me being there since I pamphlet wasn't convincing enough. They verify and I get my car out for free.

Yesterday was a pretty fucking awesome day.

AestheticDeath
11-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Nice.

Gan
11-05-2008, 04:43 PM
LOL @ the cop actually having the moxy to show up for such a bullshit ticket.

Kudos for getting the ticket dismissed and kudos for avoiding the tow/impound fee.

Sean of the Thread
11-05-2008, 05:13 PM
nice

Xeromist
11-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Right on man. I'm glad all that failage ended on successful notes :)