PDA

View Full Version : Training question -- Regarding Shields.

Nitergen
10-11-2008, 05:35 PM
For a pure caster cleric -- whats the ball park area on shield ranks by lvl 70? Is it still .5x a level?

Vimp
10-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Am I missing something? What benefit does any shield ranks confer to a PURE cleric?

As far as I'm aware, shield use is only good in conjunction with a combat skill of sometype for decent DS, even brawling for open handed casting, but I wouldn't consider that the route of a pure...

I was under the presumption that a pure is purely magical in nature, ie runestave user, the skill of which is derived from knowledge in the arcane.

Swami71
10-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Runestaff DS sucks in offensive. Also if your with critters that disarm shield and an empty hand can't be touched. And DS is doable i think at .5x but definitely less than a runestaff.

Nitergen
10-11-2008, 06:24 PM
My definition of pure caster is just 3xing in spells. Anyway, would you recommend more than .5x Swami? Would that require me to train in brawling to cast with an open hand?

Thanks

Solkern
10-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Fuck, Nitergen you still play?

Nitergen
10-11-2008, 06:48 PM
I just started up again. World of Warcraft got a bit boring...

Nitergen
10-11-2008, 06:54 PM
I want to get this 3x spells/voln fu build hunting, but I could use some advice on shield training. Someone help me out :)

Kitsun
10-11-2008, 07:15 PM
How much shield training you really need depends on a slew of factors. Outside spells, Armor type, Armor Enchant, Race/Stats contributing to DS, etc.

I got away with 0 shield training but just carrying around a 5x targe because I have outside spells.

I recommend simply keeping enough points laying around to go 1x shield and try going hunting to see how much DS you need and just pump up Shield Use a bit to cover up how much you need.

Nitergen
10-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Self buffed in 4x doubles and 4x bow I'm currently around 360 DS in guard. The spreadsheet is saying I'll have only 371DS in guard with 66 ranks in shield and brawling. I'm not understanding why it seems lower than I imagined.

Swami71
10-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Also depends on your current spells. If you tank minor a major spirit then your losing a lot of DS there too. Training more even across all three will give you more DS.

EDIT: Also use a tower shield for more DS. Don't know why you'd use a targe as a pure with no dodge.