PDA

View Full Version : Reputation

Tisket
10-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Maybe I just don't understand how it works but it is my understanding that if you have no reputation you cannot give reputation points to others. If you still have not received any rep points PM me or post here and I will bump you.

Unless I already have that is since apparently you are only allowed one bump to each poster once every fucking millenia.

There is just something about karma systems on message boards that makes me want to fuck with them.

DeV
10-11-2008, 05:35 PM
I wanna give it to you again so bad, but I can't right now.

Tisket
10-11-2008, 05:36 PM
ohhhhhh haha made my pulse flutter!

AestheticDeath
10-11-2008, 05:59 PM
It's not just about having a rep. Post counts are part of it too. At least from what I was able to figure out.

The whole thing seems kinda poorly designed. More of a game than a real rep system. And easily abused.

Solkern
10-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I'd give you some, but i need to spread some around still

Tisket
10-11-2008, 06:00 PM
The post count of the person giving or of the person receiving?

This system gets suckier and suckier.

Tisket
10-11-2008, 06:04 PM
It really makes me sad that I can't give that stupid cunt Ashliana negative bumps more often. I'd even sign them.

AestheticDeath
10-11-2008, 06:09 PM
The giver. Someone who's never here won't matter as much.

It really makes me sad that I can't give that cunt Ashliana negative bumps more often. I'd even sign them.

And that is exactly why this system sucks.... Some people will get click happy and come to vote on one person every day just to fuck with the rep system. Be it friends or people they hate. It's going to turn into a contest of who can waste the most time clicking the scales.

Has anyone noticed themselves getting more rep just because they are giving others rep?

Tisket
10-11-2008, 06:12 PM
I don't think it much matters unless negative points inhibits someone's ability to post. Do they?

AestheticDeath
10-11-2008, 06:18 PM
So an anonymous comment to you saying cunt, bitch, ass, idiot, moron you are stupid!? Wouldn't mean anything to you? If you got them every day, it wouldn't get under your skin?

Tisket
10-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Not even a little bit. I've gotten a number of those and they are funny. I've even tried to lobby for more.

Tisket
10-11-2008, 06:19 PM
You're just too senstive AD. And prickly.

Stanley Burrell
10-11-2008, 06:21 PM
And that is exactly why this system sucks.... Some people will get click happy and come to vote on one person every day

I CAN'T. It's driving me nuts. Pistachios, you pieces of apeshit.

I can't spread Tisket and give it to her. Damn you.

AestheticDeath
10-11-2008, 06:21 PM
:(

Prickly?

AestheticDeath
10-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Also, you need to be able to have a list in the User CP of all the comments you have left for others, not just those others have left for you.

Stanley Burrell
10-11-2008, 06:22 PM
So an anonymous comment to you saying cunt, bitch, ass, idiot, moron you are stupid!? Wouldn't mean anything to you? If you got them every day, it wouldn't get under your skin?

Shit. Mispelled moron. I gave you a positive rating though :heart:

Kranar
10-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Reputation takes a VERY long time to change, whether it is good reputation or bad reputation. This is not a system where your reputation is decided over the course of a week, or even a month. No single member regardless of how click happy they are will have much of an influence on reputation.

It would take years for any single member to independently change someone's reputation, even if they clicked every other day. A member can not influence another member's influence more than once every other day. If you really wanted to gang up on a member and change their reputation, you could assemble a group of 10-15 members and then go click happy for the course of a month or two and that would result in them becoming either more or less reputable.

Anyhow, the point is simply that it's only been a week and no one really has any reputation whatsoever, whether it's good reputation or bad reputation. Being on the 'distinguished road' or having 'shameless behavior in the past' is pretty much nil.

Tisket
10-11-2008, 06:24 PM
I still can't give SB rep and I gave him a bump right when the system went active. That's a ridiculous wait time in my opinion.

AestheticDeath
10-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Saw that, you even outdid some other motherfucker who's giving me negative points on the KRANARZ thread.

AestheticDeath
10-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Reputation takes a VERY long time to change, whether it is good reputation or bad reputation. This is not a system where your reputation is decided over the course of a week, or even a month. No single member regardless of how click happy they are will have much of an influence on reputation.

Good to know. What about being removed from the Rep system like you were? Is that possible for us?

Also, whats to prevent some of these guys with 10-15 or 100 of their own accounts abusing the system this way?

IS THAT why so many unknowns have an actual rep, and more so then reg posters? Was it actually a wonky system, or people using alternate accounts to test/abuse the system?

Tisket
10-11-2008, 06:26 PM
So Kranar, are there any consequences to bad reputation at all? I mean will it at all inhibit posting ability when it gets bad enough? If it does that's the worst feature of all time.

AestheticDeath
10-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Also, old rep comments are disappearing...

Tisket
10-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Yeah they seem to stick around for 24 hours then go poof. I want a record of my fans dammit!

Stanley Burrell
10-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Saw that, you even outdid some other motherfucker who's giving me negative points on the KRANARZ thread.

I don't think it could be more than one motherfucker could it? Are we talking multiple motherfuckers, here?

Grrr.

AestheticDeath
10-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Dunno, only had two negative comments but they were anon in the same thread. The original and then a negative on my response to the negative.

If Kranars time table is right, it has to be a different person. But apparently the second persons comment isn't worth shit. It didn't change my point system that I saw. The first negative took it down 5 points, then yours took it up 6 points.

Tisket
10-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Wow, are you taking notes?

Tisket
10-11-2008, 06:56 PM
I can't believe you are so upset over two negative votes. I've gotten like twenty already. lmao.

AestheticDeath
10-11-2008, 06:57 PM
I have very few comments total. Simple math isn't hard to screw up.

And I don't take criticism well, especially if its baseless.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-11-2008, 06:57 PM
I can't believe you are so upset over two negative votes. I've gotten like twenty already. lmao.

I've gotten a bunch that I think were intended to be negative, but came in grey.

Tisket
10-11-2008, 06:59 PM
I've gotten a bunch that I think were intended to be negative, but came in grey.

That was another question...if someone is grey at the moment because they haven't received enough rep points to change them to green or red will the comments they leave turn retroactively once they do get enough rep?

AestheticDeath
10-11-2008, 06:59 PM
grey could mean the person had no rep to be able to give it or something...

Or was the written comment negative?

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-11-2008, 07:00 PM
grey could mean the person had no rep to be able to give it or something...

Or was the written comment negative?

Comment was negative.

Tisket
10-11-2008, 07:01 PM
And I don't take criticism well, especially if its baseless.

How can someone else's opinion of you be considered baseless? It's an opinion and therefore valid. Don't let it bug you so much.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-11-2008, 07:01 PM
That was another question...if someone is grey at the moment because they haven't received enough rep points to change them to green or red will the comments they leave turn retroactively once they do get enough rep?

I think if there's enough discrepancy between your rep, the little box is grey when they try to give you any (good or bad).

Solkern
10-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Is there any way to disable the rep?

AestheticDeath
10-11-2008, 07:32 PM
How can someone else's opinion of you be considered baseless? It's an opinion and therefore valid. Don't let it bug you so much.

If I called you an idiot right now, it would be baseless. I have no reason to call you such a thing. Even if I disagreed with your post or something.

It would be childish and mean absolutely nothing. IF however, I came out and said I think you are wrong and tried to convince you why your wrong, and then in trying to prove you wrong I said 2+2=5, then you could call me an idiot. And it wouldn't be baseless.

Just because someone says something, or even truly feels one way or another, doesn't mean they have a valid reason for it, or that they are right.

The first negative I got was "Idiot" based on this post (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showpost.php?p=815641&postcount=11), and whomever made that comment had no real reason to say it. They have no fucking clue how messed up my system was.

Sean of the Thread
10-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Rofl

Tisket
10-11-2008, 07:35 PM
It would absolutely be valid if you really thought I was an idiot. You'd just be stating that opinion. How is that hard to understand? You might change your mind about me eventually but at the moment you call me an idiot I believe you really feel that way.

Solkern
10-11-2008, 07:37 PM
you're an idiot tisket!

j/k i wuv you

Tisket
10-11-2008, 07:38 PM
For example: I think Ashliana is a cunt. I don't need to point to his stupid posts (all of them) to back that up. It's just my opinion. I'm quite certain he feels the same about me and he wouldn't have to point to all my posts to make me believe he feels that way.

Sean of the Thread
Wait Ashliana is a dude?

W t f

Tisket
you're an idiot tisket!

lol

Tisket
10-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Wait Ashliana is a dude?

W t f

Still a cunt though. The male version.

Solkern
10-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Wait Ashliana is a dude?

W t f

That's stilll up for debate...

Poll time?

Sean of the Thread
10-11-2008, 07:43 PM
What kind of dude has a name like that?

Besides dudes that have a portfolio on chickswithdicks.com.

Some Rogue
10-11-2008, 07:47 PM
I wanna give it to you again so bad, but I can't right now.

No one's giving it to Tisket on teh internets but me!:nono:

AestheticDeath
10-11-2008, 07:53 PM
It would absolutely be valid if you really thought I was an idiot. You'd just be stating that opinion. How is that hard to understand? You might change your mind about me eventually but at the moment you call me an idiot I believe you really feel that way.

Your obviously not seeing my point.

If in general, I thought you were an idiot, and wanted you to know such a thing, I would tell you straight out, anywhere. In this post, under my name, in a PM on AIM whatever.

But if you make a post saying pi = 3.14159265, and some nobody, namelessly comments on your POST and calls you stupid. Or twatwaffle. It's baseless and meaningless.

They may think such things routinely about you, but it has no relation to the post they comment on. It's just some random idiot going around name calling abusing a system. And they do it as much because they can't be called out on it as anything.

Sean of the Thread
10-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Rofl you said twatwaffle.

AestheticDeath
10-11-2008, 08:08 PM
you deleted your picture

Tisket
10-11-2008, 08:18 PM
He reposted it elsewhere.

Sean of the Thread
10-11-2008, 08:19 PM
I'll tamponchuck AD in the eye too.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Your obviously not seeing my point.

If in general, I thought you were an idiot, and wanted you to know such a thing, I would tell you straight out, anywhere. In this post, under my name, in a PM on AIM whatever.

But if you make a post saying pi = 3.14159265, and some nobody, namelessly comments on your POST and calls you stupid. Or twatwaffle. It's baseless and meaningless.

They may think such things routinely about you, but it has no relation to the post they comment on. It's just some random idiot going around name calling abusing a system. And they do it as much because they can't be called out on it as anything.

That was my original complaint. The passive aggressiveness of the system.

Tisket
10-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Man I must be weird. I find it funny when some anonymous person calls me a name. If someone insults me and actually signs it I will even go find a post of theirs to rate up. Do eeet! You know you want to!

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Man I must be weird. I find it funny when some anonymous person calls me a name. If someone insults me and actually signs it I will even go find a post of theirs to rate up. Do eeet! You know you want to!

Eh I find it funny but I also just in general dislike passive aggressiveness like that.

diethx
10-11-2008, 11:41 PM
AD, relax. This shit is not serious business.

Someone left me a comment (which was probably supposed to be negative rep but was grey) calling me unstable, because I posted that I wanted a chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting. I laughed. YOU NEED TO LEARN TO LAUGH.

AestheticDeath
10-12-2008, 05:34 AM
I am still not sure what this humor thing you people talk of is all about.

Gan
10-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Whoever it was shouldn't be able to post here any more for mechanics abuse (handing out negative rep for posts before the rep system was out). I've sent multiple complaints to Kranar about it and it's like I'm talking to a wall. I should give him some negative reputation points and see how he likes it.

Its hard to say if my theory's correct; however, I might go back to some old old threads and test it out on people who have not posted here in a few years or that have been deleted.

Since the system appears to be used as a lark for now, I wouldnt sweat it much. If this was a serious board where information being passed was not the banter you see here then I would agree with you on getting upset about being assigned a negative rep. But because this is the PC, my advice to you is dont sweat it.

>$.02

AestheticDeath
10-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Um some of us offer merchant services. How do you think a red rep would affect us?

Gan
10-30-2008, 11:33 PM
There are other forums with some pretty tight rules on reputation:

[Google search: reputation feature on forums]

What is the reputation system for?

The reputation system is a feature of the Dimensions forums. If you like what someone has to say, you can reward the poster for exceptional posts by "giving rep." Reputation adds up and shows up on the form of green and gold "cans" (and more). Reputation is to be given out only when it is due. The system limits how many people you can rep in a day, and how you have to spread reputation before it can be given again to the same person. The rep system is meant to be used to reward good posts; abusing it to leave negative or hate messages is strictly forbidden and may result in reprimands or temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges.
http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/faq.php

As for the dots, there is no chart for this since normally a user isn't supposed to actually know what a series of dots translates to in numeric terms. Just that bright green dots are better than dark green dots and the more dots you have, the higher the reputation. Having any bright dots at all means you have a higher reputation than someone who only has dark green dots. Same thing with the red dots, just in reverse.

The maximum number of dots you will see is 11 (in the current system).

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll102/learningtewfly/reputation.jpg

Negative values work pretty much the same way except it shows balanced (grey dot) from -99 to 0.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=4

The 'reputation' feature has been active on these forums for a few weeks now. A total of more than several hundred reputation points have been given out already.

We want to encourage you to give reputation to members and moderators, whose replies you find particularly helpful.

Basically, if a post has helped you in some way, please give the poster positive reputation.

For obvious reasons, reputation is disabled in Open Discussion and Jokes Forums.

Please do not abuse this feature, it is here to help recognize people's contributions to the forums. Anybody found abusing the feature will have their reputation granting ability disabled.

Please feel free to post back if you have any questions.

Reputation can be added to a post by clicking a scale icon in the upper right corner of every message.
http://www.hftonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14375

Here's an example (mechanics wise) of someone designing the mod for a rep system.

Descriptions: This mod will add user reputation point system to your phpBB3 board.

Credits
- dunv007 for iconset
- jase951 for helping me in language

Changelog
0.2.0 - 0.2.0a
change the encoding of files

0.1.1 - 0.2.0
[feature] Rep comment now can be viewed by public
[change] Change the icon
[fix] Deleting rep comment when deleting post
[fix] Disable reg bonus point when mod is disabled
[feature] Rep power can increase by rep point factor
[feature] New moderative permission: can delete reputation
[feature] Reset all user reputation point
[feature] Add forum exclusions
[feature] Enable/disable comment
[feature] Display rep power in user profile
[fix] Bugs in display total of block
[change] Create some php functions
[fix] Some typo
[feature] Rank/title based on rep points
[change] Remove permission: user can view who gave reputation
[feature] Option to force user to enter comment
[change] MODX 1.2.0 Package

Post-Installation
Sorry, at the moment installation is quite complicated. You need to have knowledge about adding sql, installing acp module, and assigning permissions. Please do not ask me about that. In the future release I plans to add automatic installation files for installing database and acp modules.

1. Go to ACP then purge cache.

2. Assign permission
administrative permissions: Can manage reputation point (in misc category)
moderative permissions: Can moderate reputation point (in misc category)
user permissions: See reputation point category

3. Add ACP Modules
-> Reputation point setting
-> Reputation rank management

4. Enable rep points mod in reputation point setting

Notes
- The rep rank will not available when rep display is set to text.
- You can use {USERNAME} variable in rep rank
- Group power is only for user default group

Note for update 0.1.1 - 0.2.0
First, you must remove the reputation points settings module from the acp. Then you need to add 2 new admin modules: reputation points settings and reputation rank management.

phpBB3 Mods Manager
This mod has been tested and worked with phpBB Mods Manager AKA Blinky

Planned Features
- More advanced rep comments page
- Users can edit their rep comments and ratings
- Moderator control panel
- Users can report abusive comment/rating
- Automatic database and acp modules installer file

Download
http://www.phpbbindonesia.com/board/dow ... e.php?id=4

Addons
Most popular users
Display users who has the largest number of reputation point on board index
http://www.phpbbindonesia.com/board/dow ... e.php?id=3

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=780735

And a really indepth look at installing the mod (if the coders want to see whats behind the mod)
http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52283

Sean of the Thread
10-31-2008, 12:33 AM
blah blah blah

Alfster
10-31-2008, 01:24 AM
I think Gan actually took T&S seriously

Gan
10-31-2008, 09:13 AM
Um some of us offer merchant services. How do you think a red rep would affect us?

Greatly if the rep system were only turned on in the merchant folders. However, since its open for all folders - not so much if you have a clear understanding of how the rep system works.

Gan
10-31-2008, 09:14 AM
I think Gan actually took T&S seriously

Actually, its just an ovewhelming curiosity of how the system works. I just thought I'd share what I found.

Daniel
10-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Didn't you suggest the system to Kranar?

CrystalTears
10-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Actually, its just an ovewhelming curiosity of how the system works. I just thought I'd share what I found.
But it doesn't address how THIS rep system works. I haven't been able to find any concrete information on how exactly it works, what kind of rep rewards what amount of rep because it depends on factors such as membership length, post count and so forth.

It's just an additional method to anonymously state how you feel about someone's post. I'd rather it signature the person giving it automatically, regardless of the comment, but that's just me. I can't take it seriously at all when someone like Stanley has over 100 points.

Tea & Strumpets
10-31-2008, 09:40 AM
my advice to you is dont sweat it.

>$.02

I'm not, I was just goofing around and thought it was funny. I think the rep system is pretty meaningless (unless I get the best rep on the boards).

AestheticDeath
10-31-2008, 09:42 AM
[fix] Deleting rep comment when deleting post

hehe

Gan
10-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Didn't you suggest the system to Kranar?
Yes, after seeing it on another forum I was visiting for troubleshooting some monitor issues.

But it doesn't address how THIS rep system works. I haven't been able to find any concrete information on how exactly it works, what kind of rep rewards what amount of rep because it depends on factors such as membership length, post count and so forth.

It's just an additional method to anonymously state how you feel about someone's post. I'd rather it signature the person giving it automatically, regardless of the comment, but that's just me. I can't take it seriously at all when someone like Stanley has over 100 points.
I'm willing to bet the code/feature of the mod is pretty generic. Kranar would have to confirm the details since he's the one who installed the mod and since the mod features can be adjusted per the admin's discretion. I put up the info I found last night as something to explain how a reputation mod works because I found it helpful in explaining the basic mechanics of how it works in the generic sense.

I'm not, I was just goofing around and thought it was funny. I think the rep system is pretty meaningless (unless I get the best rep on the boards).
Ahh, cool.

CrystalTears
10-31-2008, 10:41 AM
It's not an installed mod. It's part of the existing forums that he just activated. The documentation for the forums themselves aren't detailed with information regarding this system either, which is why many people have been trying to find the answers of how it works. Because of how many factors go into calculating them, I don't think it will be something easy to answer.

Gan
10-31-2008, 10:56 AM
It's not an installed mod. It's part of the existing forums that he just activated.
I seem to remember saying that he had to install it. I'll have to go back and check my messages.

CrystalTears
10-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Well if he did, it's exactly like the one that comes with the forums. :shrug:

ElanthianSiren
10-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Damn... I just posted rep to Rob and forgot to sign it. There go my campaign promises :(