PDA

View Full Version : Business trip to Amsterdam

Numbers
10-08-2008, 03:53 PM
So, I'm going to Amsterdam on business in a couple of weeks. I'll most likely be there for about a week.

Has anybody ever been there, and can recommend some good things to do? I'm obviously going to be hitting up as many "coffee" shops as possible, so no need to suggest that. I also may take a walk through the red-light district, but am not planning to partake in any of the offered services.

Since it's for business, I won't have a huge amount of time to go do things like tours and whatnot.

Methais
10-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Smoke weed and bang whores.

Xaerve
10-08-2008, 04:05 PM
The Rijksmuseum is one of the better museums to go see. Dam Square is fun too, especially at night. It is also located right near the red light district, which is fun ;) There is a lot of shopping on the big street from Dam Square that leads to the main train station.

The Hague is only a few train stops away, and is well worth a half-day trip. It is a beautiful town with a lot of cool museums, too. Johannes Vermeer's Baroque masterpiece, Girl with a Pearl Earring, is located at the museum near the town center.

Good restaurants: Bice, Five Flys, La Rive (very expensive, 12 course meals, etc.). La Rive, if you have the money, is hands down one of the best places to have a meal in Europe. Five Flys is an old restaurant, very old-school, etc. Bice is a cool Italian place, that I really enjoyed. They have a spicy spaghetti appetizer that is great.

I would also recommend renting a bike and just riding around the city. You'll notice, quickly, that it is the preferred method of transportation.

The Bulldog is one of the best places to smoke at, and they have a great "natural" juice selection. Its near the red light district, by the old church that has urinals (open urinals) in the street.

If I think of anything else I will post again, its been a few years since I have been :)

Inspire
10-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Don't miss the Rembrandt museum.

Bokertal
10-08-2008, 04:12 PM
http://www.virtualtourist.com/

RichardCranium
10-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Didn't Peam go a couple of years ago? Where the hell has he been anyway?

Sean
10-08-2008, 04:17 PM
1/2 the rijksmuseum was closed in May when I went .. but the price is still the same. You may want to consider passing on it.

Den Haag and Rotterdam aren't bad trips to take while you're there they are pretty easily accessible by train. There's also a windmill at the end of one of the tram lines that was actually the most informative/interesting museum that I went to.

Keller
10-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Den Haag and Rotterdam aren't bad trips to take while you're there they are pretty easily accessible by train. There's also a windmill at the end of one of the tram lines that was actually the most informative/interesting museum that I went to.

What was that called? I'd be interested to see it next time I go.

Methais
10-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Didn't Peam go a couple of years ago? Where the hell has he been anyway?

I think you answered your question before you even asked it.

Sean
10-08-2008, 04:26 PM
What was that called? I'd be interested to see it next time I go.

It's the windmill in Sloten. If you take the #2 tram all the way to the end it's like a 10-15 minute walk. There are signs directing you there.

If you're there for buisness don't plan any meetings around timing that you'd expect with good service at restaurants since service is very slow from what I've found. And if you like mixed drinks you'll be buying a glass of booze and a soda on the side to mix yourself.

Nieninque
10-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Not sure what's happened to the coffee shops since the smoking ban. I know they were worried about going out of business. I believe you can still smoke weed in them, but if you mix the weed with any tobacco you are breaking the law.

Or something like that.

BigWorm
10-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Not sure what's happened to the coffee shops since the smoking ban. I know they were worried about going out of business. I believe you can still smoke weed in them, but if you mix the weed with any tobacco you are breaking the law.

Or something like that.

That's a Europeanism I think because on this side of the pond, we don't usually mix the two, though I have encountered it in a few European transplants. Anyway, you're in fucking Amsterdam, you might as well go balls out.

Ignot
10-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Didn't they shut down the red light district?

Numbers
10-15-2008, 07:18 PM
I just learned today that our office in Amsterdam is in the same building as the sex museum.

SEX MUSEUM!!!

How fucking awesome is that!?

Keller
10-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I just learned today that our office in Amsterdam is in the same building as the sex museum.

SEX MUSEUM!!!

How fucking awesome is that!?

lol.

That's 30 minutes of my life I wont get back.

Sean
10-15-2008, 07:34 PM
The Sex Museum was kinda lame. Although you'll never see don quixote in the same light. The weed museum is also right down the block although for some odd reason it was never open... Also you should take your coworkers to the bananashow.