PDA

View Full Version : Leather armor, or Scale armor...?

mrjrd222
10-08-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm currently level 41, with pretty good CS for my level (220). I either hunt things at my level with around 150 TD and +8 CvA (78% chance to hit, give or take a few for +/- level spawns) or I hunt things a bit above my level with 160-170 TD and +25 CvA (about the same failure rate).

My original thoughts were, 1% fumble is high enough, I'd hate anything more than that... But recently my thoughts have changed. 4-7% failure (LBP-Brig) should be perfectly fine out hunting, as in doubles, a 1 is a fumble, and anything 2-20 is a miss anyway, why not make 1-7 a fumble and 8-20 a miss?

My question is, about what level does CS totally overpower TD to the point that the fumble rate outweighs the armor you're wearing? Would I be better off wearing scale armor all the way to cap? Or do most eventually switch to doubles to lower fumble rates?

Avern
10-09-2008, 02:34 PM
The armor hindrance roll is separate from your CS vs TD roll. Meaning you would have a 7% chance to fumble and then your CS vs TD roll would come up with the same 20% chance to miss. Personally, my Cleric has always worn Double Leather and I don't ever plan to change that unless something radically changes with game systems. Of course, I really hate hindrance on my casters.

Rue
10-13-2008, 01:09 PM
In my personal experience, by the train 45 - 50, I had to change. The doubles were no longer offering the protection needed against the bigger baddies I was hunting. Death and getting the crap beat out of myself became normal for hunting. My priestess is a pure caster that uses Voln Fu. (Strange story line, but I made it work) The hindrance seems worth the fail in the long run. It can get frustrating, but the protection truly does out weigh the death penalties. Who knows, you might be better at defense. . . it is a personal choice to how one plays.

I use a fitted elven scalemail for my armor. Of course it doesn't look like that anymore, but works great.

Rathain
10-14-2008, 12:00 AM
My cleric has been in double leather from 20 to cap and over without a problem. In unpadded double leather, my cleric has died once in OTF from creature attacks (griffin drop), 4 deaths due to internet link problems, and 1 death from open implosion since I started hunting my cleric there. Heavier armor wouldn't have made too much of a difference. If anything, my cleric would have died more if he fumbled casts from armor hindrance.