PDA

View Full Version : Second Presidential Debate

ClydeR
10-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Below is part of an article about the rules for tonight's debate.

Tuesday's match-up at Belmont University in Nashville, Tenn., will be moderated by NBC's Tom Brokaw, with the questions to be culled from a group of 100 to 150 uncommitted likely voters in the audience and another one-third to come via the Internet. The Gallup Organization -- as in past debates like this -- has the job of making sure the questioners reflect the demographic makeup of the nation.

Brokaw selects the questions to ask from written queries submitted prior to the debate, according to the "contract."

An audience member will not be allowed to switch questions. Under the deal, the moderator may not ask followups or make comments. The person who asks the question will not be allowed a follow-up either, and his or her microphone will be turned off after the question is read. A camera shot will only be shown of the person asking -- not reacting.

While there will be director's chairs (with backs and foot rests), McCain and Obama will be allowed to stand -- but they can't roam past their "designated area" to be marked on the stage. McCain and Obama are not supposed to ask each other direct questions.

As in all the debates, the contenders cannot bring in notes, though they can take them once at the lectern.

Sarah Palin seemed to be looking at notes several times during her debate with Joe Biden. Each candidate is allowed to "take notes during the debate on the size, color and type of blank paper that each prefers."

And I'll dub this the "Lazio" rule.

A reason Rep. Rick Lazio (R-N.Y.) lost his Senate bid against Hillary Rodham Clinton in 2000 was when he walked from his lectern to Clinton and demanded that she sign a pledge not to take soft money, he looked like a bully. Anyway, in 2008, the candidates are banned during the debates from moving to the other side -- and from wielding proposed pledges.

More... (http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/10/mccain_obama_deal_puts_limits.html)

Probably another yawner.

Seran
10-07-2008, 09:30 PM
You don't need to worry about McCain waundering past much of anything, he'll be lucky to haul his ancient ass into the chair.

BriarFox
10-07-2008, 10:28 PM
You don't need to worry about McCain waundering past much of anything, he'll be lucky to haul his ancient ass into the chair.

We didn't really need to worry about him answering any questions directly, either. Perhaps his hearing aids failed him - as they did when he had to ask Brokaw to repeat the three topics he asked the candidates to prioritize (energy, health care, and education). To be perfectly fair, Obama also talked his way around a good number of questions, but overall he gave much straighter answers than McCain. Additionally, when he did talk around them, he usually did so because they were complicated questions with complicated answers and he was attempting to do them justice. He supported his positions with hard facts and clear explanations. In contrast, McCain was happy to obfuscate and offer vague generalities.

Parkbandit
10-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Let me guess:

Obama supporters think Obama won.

McCain supporters think McCain won.

Gee...

Sean of the Thread
10-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Tom Brokaw won.

Some Rogue
10-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Let me guess:

Obama supporters think Obama won.

McCain supporters think McCain won.

Gee...

This surprises anyone? I don't even bother reading most of the political topics anymore. No one will ever agree here, everyone's side is innocent, the other side sucks and it's the same old shit topic after topic. You're not gonna change anyone's mind so you might as well not even discuss anything.

Ignot
10-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Tom Brokaw won.

Yeah, he was a good moderator and didn't let the candidates push him around. That 1 minute thing wasn't working out at all.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah, he was a good moderator and didn't let the candidates push him around. That 1 minute thing wasn't working out at all.

:yeahthat:

I think Brokaw did a good job as a moderator. I don't think he should rightfully come under "partisan" crossfire from either side.

Parkbandit
10-08-2008, 07:28 AM
:yeahthat:

I think Brokaw did a good job as a moderator. I don't think he should rightfully come under "partisan" crossfire from either side.

Well, except that the fact he's a bleeding heart liberal...

Gan
10-08-2008, 07:33 AM
We didn't really need to worry about him answering any questions directly, either. Perhaps his hearing aids failed him - as they did when he had to ask Brokaw to repeat the three topics he asked the candidates to prioritize (energy, health care, and education). To be perfectly fair, Obama also talked his way around a good number of questions, but overall he gave much straighter answers than McCain. Additionally, when he did talk around them, he usually did so because they were complicated questions with complicated answers and he was attempting to do them justice. He supported his positions with hard facts and clear explanations. In contrast, McCain was happy to obfuscate and offer vague generalities.

This has to be the most apologetic post of the day.

:lol:

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Well, except that the fact he's a bleeding heart liberal...

How did Brokaw showcase his being a bleeding heart liberal during the debate?

Parkbandit
10-08-2008, 07:52 AM
How did Brokaw showcase his being a bleeding heart liberal during the debate?

He didn't... but that doesn't change the fact of his party affiliation.

Ignot
10-08-2008, 08:01 AM

:club:

Mighty Nikkisaurus
10-08-2008, 08:59 AM

Wow.

DeV
10-08-2008, 10:12 AM
I didn't know his party affiliation prior to the debate. He didn't give either candidate a break and constantly reminded them that they agreed to those retarded ass rules.

He did good.

diethx
10-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Wow.

Seriously. Retarded argument of the day. Grats PB.