PDA

View Full Version : Rangers and the bowels

ceran
09-30-2008, 03:05 AM
Okay so headed below stronghold and wondering what to expect in there. I am an 81 train ambushing ranger.
1-Any cmans I should worry about?
2-Any special tricks I should be aware of?
3-Do I have to worry about bringing in my nice gear or should I just get 4x weapons and shields?

Stunseed
09-30-2008, 06:21 AM
1. Jarls charge and feint, I believe. Greater Krynches do the turn into the boulder things.

2. Elders/Jarls can stone fist. Two greater elementals can summon a normal elemental. Any of the elementals create "faceless clay beings" to drag your DS down. No fire of lightning flaring weapons in the bowels, they make you go boom.

3. The only plus in this deathtrap area is you can use your 10x shit, provided it doesn't flare off fire/lightning.

Note. Foraging jobs in the bowels are stupid easy if you can generate enough DS in defensive. 650+Assume yierka+506 = free EXP.

zhelas
09-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Everything Stunseed said plus the additions below.

Earth elementals cast ewave
Greater elementals cast major ewave.

Both elementals have a maneuver attack that will smack the ground sending rock fragments in your direction. Seems to be a variation of the maneuver the Pyros have on Teras.

Both elementals and the Krynches don't stun. The Krynches can still form a boulder even when missing limbs.
Elders and Jarls stun nicely.

Don't have plasma flares as well.

Make sure the Jarls and Elders are knocked down before you kill them so you don't get crushed.

Both Jarls and Elders can dispell.

There are periods where gas will be be emitted from the ground. If you are in the same room. Expect an intial 10 second round time from the gas. Then a 5 second rt.

The place has the ability to swarm like crazy. If you play Prime. The Drakes have a nightly hunt at 8:30 Pm and they hunt that area a lot.

Recomendations:

Get deeds.
Stay Light.
When fried get out. I always seemed to die from a silly maneuver attack when I felt comfortable down there.
There are 2 entrances. I recommend using the puzzle entrance versus swimming. The solution of the ring puzzle can be found http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=18228

The place is challenging and fun. this is coming from a Sorcerer who gets crushed by the Krynch boulders.

Peace

droit
09-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Good advice (though I always swam in with no problems).

This is one of the places in the game where shadow mastery is most useful. Sneaking from room to room will subject you to far fewer cheap deaths, especially when you're still in the early 80's. So many of the attacks down there are level-based, so don't be surprised when you die a lot during the first few levels.

As an ambushing ranger, my strategy was simply to sneak room to room, ambush the leg then ambush the head. Most leg ambushes won't cause them to fall and crush you. Those only happen when the leg is severed, so if you've done a rank 2 wound to one leg and they stand up, aim at the other. Sweep will get em on the ground without a crash, too. Also, spike thorn is surprisingly effective on em, but probably not for a few levels in your case.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-30-2008, 03:24 PM
I LOVE the bowels, I think it's easily one of the best hunting grounds in the game.

ceran
09-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Okays so gonna try them out tonight. Already done a few forage tasks in there but never swung at anything. Thanks for all the info