PDA

View Full Version : Help with formals

Proxy
09-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Putting together a formal outfit for my char and this is what I've come up with so far... anything not looking right?

Hat of some sort (wanting some kind of head covering to go w/ the rest of the outfit but I've yet to find anything I like, and ideas?)

a pair of wire-framed spectacles

some stark black brocade robes with a silver-adorned collar - chest worn

an ankle-length silver and sable brourde under-robe with long ruched sleeves - pin worn(this is an alter in progress)

a shimmering bourde silk cape with a siren lizard skin hem - cloak worn
alternatly I was think of a silver rune-embroidered black silk half-cape instead of the bourde cape.

a silver laced rich ebon sash - waste worn

a pair of black leather sandals* - feet

*I really am not happy about these, I would like to get a pair of black siren skin sandles made but I'm not sure about the whole cobbling thing...

All together should look something like this...minus the hat

He is wearing a pair of wire-framed spectacles, a shimmering bourde silk cape with a siren lizard skin hem, some stark black brocade robes with a silver-adorned collar, an ankle-length silver and sable bourde under-robe with long ruched sleeves, a silver laced rich ebon sash, and a pair of black leather sandals.

What do you all think? Faendryl character btw...

Edit: forgot the spectacles

Moist Happenings
09-26-2008, 10:33 PM
I dunno. Hats and robes don't tend to go together really well. I just can't picture it looking good in my head. As far as the whole ensemble goes though I like it a lot. You can change the sandals to shoes of some sort if you like, but sandals do fit moderately well with robes. If you don't go with the whole cobbling aspect you might just pick up a pair of custom silk shoes at the clothier.

Stunseed
09-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Agreed with Neff.

Get a hair-tie. Those are pimp.

DCSL
09-26-2008, 10:46 PM
I'd personally go over-robe + robe rather than robe + under-robe, but that's just me and I can't even specifically pick out a reason why. Otherwise, it's great to see someone following the clothing docs.

Proxy
09-26-2008, 10:54 PM
the only reason I don't go w/ the over robe is because of how much of a mouth full one would be... a sleeveless sideless bourde silk over-robe of silver and sable... any way I try I can't seem to get a good alter for an over robe that would match w/ the docs...

Hat wise the docs mentioned them, hence the reason I'm wanting one... He's got a custom hair alter so if not hat, I'll just take his hairsticks out and have him wear his hair down.

Moist Happenings
09-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Was just thinking what sort of a hat might look good with robes, and the only thing I can come up with is a Roman Corona. I don't know if they exist at all in Gemstone, but it was basically a crown worn to formal occasions, usually coupled with a toga. They differed widely in appearance based on the type of honor bestowed.

Examples would be:

The general in a battle who broke the siege of a city would get one made from weeds, grass, and wildflowers from that city.

A corona made from laurels could be worn by any victorious general.

A gold corona decorated with the towers of the castle could only be worn by the first soldier to scale the walls in an attack on a city.

Just food for thought. Personally I'd just go without headwear though.

Proxy
09-26-2008, 10:55 PM
damn just realised I'll need some kind of wrist, leg, waste(the sash is actualy pin worn apparently) and ankle bling to hide his tats...grrrrrrr, anyone have any ideas?

Question can tats be hidden without cloths?

Methais
09-26-2008, 10:56 PM
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...|... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .._,,-~~~-,-,,_
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...|... ... ... ,,---,,_... ...,-~",-":__-,: : :"-,:::"'~,,
.,,-~~--,, ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...|... ... ,~": : --,,:"~,,-"::::/:,-". . ."'~-,,: \,::::_,,"~-,,
/: : : : : : :"'~-,,... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... |... ... /: : : : :~"'\,: \::__/:|o--,,. . . . .\,: ¯¯: : : : : :"-,
\: : : : : : : : : : :""~,,... ... ... ... ... ... ... |... ... .\: : : : : :,,-"~": : : "'~~-,:"'~-,,_|: : :,-"¯¯¯¯"-,:|
.'~,: : : : : : : : : : : : :"'~-,,_... ... ... ... ...|... ... .."-,_: ,-" : : : : : : : : : : : "~,--~": : (o~--,,_. . |:|
... ."'~-,,: : : : : : : : : : : : :"-,~--,... ... ... |... ... ... ...,/: : : : : : ,,--,-,~-,,: : :"~-,,: : :"~,___:"-/,/__
... ... ...,"~"~--,,_,,-~"`"`": : "-,::"'~~--,,_..| ... ... ... ..|: : : ,: :,-". ,-"./. . . ."-,,_: : :"~-~": : : :"'-,,~,:"-,,
... ... .,/: : : : --,,:|: : : : : : : : :"-,,::::::::::::"~--,,_... ... \: : :|: /. .,/. . |. . . ,-".|. "~,,_____,,,,,__:\: : : : |
... ... .|: : : : : : : "|: : : : : : :,: : : :\:::::::::::::::::::::"'~~-,,"-,:|: |. /. . . .|. .,-". . |. ,-"'. \. . .,/|. . . .",:\: : ,/
... ... ..\, : : : : : ,/ : : : : : : :|: : : ,/::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"\: "-,,___,\,/___,,\/___. |,-". |. . . ,/.|: |,~"
... ... ... ",-,,,__/: : : : : : :,/,_~"-:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"-,,____,, : : : : : : : : : "'~,,,/.,,~". ,/: /
... ... ... /: : : : :"-,,___,,-": : ,"-,-:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::'\: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : "-"__,-":,-"
... ... ... '\,_: : : : : : /-,,___,,"~-----~~~~,~---,,__::::::::::::::::::::::|: : : : : : : : __,,--~"~,,___,,-"
... ... ... ... ."'~---~"... ... ... ... ... ... ...|---~"::::"'~-::::::::::::::::,/: : : : : : : : : :\"~,,
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .|::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,,": : : : : : : : : : : |:::::"-,,
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .|:::::::::::::::::::::::,,-": : : : : : : : : : : : :,|:::::::::"-,
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .|::::::::::_,,,--~~": : : : : : : : : : : : : : :,/::::::::::::::\,
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .|----~~" : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :,/::::::::::::::::::\,
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .|: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :,-,"::::::::::::::::::::::\
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... |: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : _,,~"L1'\,::::::::::::::::::::::\
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... |: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :,,-"... ... ... .\:::::::::::::::::::::::\
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... |: : : : : : : : : : : :_,,--~"... ... ... ... ...\:::::::::::::::::::::::\

Proxy
09-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Was just thinking what sort of a hat might look good with robes, and the only thing I can come up with is a Roman Corona. I don't know if they exist at all in Gemstone, but it was basically a crown worn to formal occasions, usually coupled with a toga. They differed widely in appearance based on the type of honor bestowed.

Examples would be:

The general in a battle who broke the siege of a city would get one made from weeds, grass, and wildflowers from that city.

A corona made from laurels could be worn by any victorious general.

A gold corona decorated with the towers of the castle could only be worn by the first soldier to scale the walls in an attack on a city.

Just food for thought. Personally I'd just go without headwear though.

Here is the doc entry I'm going off of...

A folded cap with a curved peak wraps over a draped piece that covers the neck and shoulders, which in turn becomes a cape that hangs gracefully down the back, reaching just to the ground.

Proxy
09-26-2008, 10:57 PM
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...|... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .._,,-~~~-,-,,_
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...|... ... ... ,,---,,_... ...,-~",-":__-,: : :"-,:::"'~,,
.,,-~~--,, ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...|... ... ,~": : --,,:"~,,-"::::/:,-". . ."'~-,,: \,::::_,,"~-,,
/: : : : : : :"'~-,,... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... |... ... /: : : : :~"'\,: \::__/:|o--,,. . . . .\,: ŻŻ: : : : : :"-,
\: : : : : : : : : : :""~,,... ... ... ... ... ... ... |... ... .\: : : : : :,,-"~": : : "'~~-,:"'~-,,_|: : :,-"ŻŻŻŻ"-,:|
.'~,: : : : : : : : : : : : :"'~-,,_... ... ... ... ...|... ... .."-,_: ,-" : : : : : : : : : : : "~,--~": : (o~--,,_. . |:|
... ."'~-,,: : : : : : : : : : : : :"-,~--,... ... ... |... ... ... ...,/: : : : : : ,,--,-,~-,,: : :"~-,,: : :"~,___:"-/,/__
... ... ...,"~"~--,,_,,-~"`"`": : "-,::"'~~--,,_..| ... ... ... ..|: : : ,: :,-". ,-"./. . . ."-,,_: : :"~-~": : : :"'-,,~,:"-,,
... ... .,/: : : : --,,:|: : : : : : : : :"-,,::::::::::::"~--,,_... ... \: : :|: /. .,/. . |. . . ,-".|. "~,,_____,,,,,__:\: : : : |
... ... .|: : : : : : : "|: : : : : : :,: : : :\:::::::::::::::::::::"'~~-,,"-,:|: |. /. . . .|. .,-". . |. ,-"'. \. . .,/|. . . .",:\: : ,/
... ... ..\, : : : : : ,/ : : : : : : :|: : : ,/::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"\: "-,,___,\,/___,,\/___. |,-". |. . . ,/.|: |,~"
... ... ... ",-,,,__/: : : : : : :,/,_~"-:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::"-,,____,, : : : : : : : : : "'~,,,/.,,~". ,/: /
... ... ... /: : : : :"-,,___,,-": : ,"-,-:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::'\: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : "-"__,-":,-"
... ... ... '\,_: : : : : : /-,,___,,"~-----~~~~,~---,,__::::::::::::::::::::::|: : : : : : : : __,,--~"~,,___,,-"
... ... ... ... ."'~---~"... ... ... ... ... ... ...|---~"::::"'~-::::::::::::::::,/: : : : : : : : : :\"~,,
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .|::::::::::::::::::::::::::::,,": : : : : : : : : : : |:::::"-,,
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .|:::::::::::::::::::::::,,-": : : : : : : : : : : : :,|:::::::::"-,
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .|::::::::::_,,,--~~": : : : : : : : : : : : : : :,/::::::::::::::\,
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .|----~~" : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :,/::::::::::::::::::\,
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .|: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :,-,"::::::::::::::::::::::\
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... |: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : _,,~"L1'\,::::::::::::::::::::::\
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... |: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :,,-"... ... ... .\:::::::::::::::::::::::\
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... |: : : : : : : : : : : :_,,--~"... ... ... ... ...\:::::::::::::::::::::::\

heh, I dig the monkey

Moist Happenings
09-26-2008, 10:57 PM
damn just realised I'll need some kind of wrist and ankle bling to hide his tats...grrrrrrr, anyone have any ideas?

Ceremonial bracers is the only thing that comes to mind right away, but I don't think it'd look right with robes.

Methais
09-26-2008, 11:00 PM
heh, I dig the monkey

Evil monkey wins the universe and shall eternally stalk your threads.

Moist Happenings
09-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Here is the doc entry I'm going off of...

A folded cap with a curved peak wraps over a draped piece that covers the neck and shoulders, which in turn becomes a cape that hangs gracefully down the back, reaching just to the ground.

a "folded cap". That's...unique. Never heard of it before.

What exactly are you trying to do with this outfit? Do you have to match it to this description as best you can? If so, why? I'm just curious (don't mean to sound ignorant or anything).

Proxy
09-26-2008, 11:03 PM
>Neff

Something to do mostly, and it ties in with Faendryl Docs so double win

Moist Happenings
09-26-2008, 11:10 PM
The only hats I can think of that might be considered a "folded cap" are an Ushanka hat , and one of those cloth hat head warmer things that fold upwards that probably have a specific name that is escaping me at the moment.

http://www.jamierainbowyarn.com/Products/folded%20hat%202.jpg
http://ushankahat.com/plogger/thumbs/lrg-17-egushanka.jpg

Proxy
09-26-2008, 11:18 PM
from my reading of the offical doc, the "hat" Faendryl males wear is more akin to a turban than anything I can think of, and since I will not let my character get caught dead wearing one of those, what about a Lungi? its a kind of cloth wrap of sorts...not sure about it though...

Just thought of a tri cornered hat of some sort, I think would work any ways... any good names for a tri cornered hat? if not screw it My char is going to wear a kipa. Heh I wonder if I could actualy get one of those made IG????

Nilandia
09-26-2008, 11:22 PM
a pair of black leather sandals* - feet

*I really am not happy about these, I would like to get a pair of black siren skin sandles made but I'm not sure about the whole cobbling thing...

Far as I know, siren skin can't be done with cobbling simply because siren skin doesn't exist as a material right now. It's not sold in any of the stores around the towns. As I recall, skinning sirens gives scales and not skins, so we can't take them to the tanner.

There are alternatives, however. River's Rest, for example, sells rattlesnake skin and crocodile hide, while Teras sells iguana skin and tsark skin. In addition, the FWI festival sold scaley viper skin, red salamander skin and banded cobra skin. You can also grab a skin off of a lizard in game and take it to the tanners to see if it will work.

Gretchen

Proxy
09-26-2008, 11:38 PM
oH! I'm keen the Tsark skin. Now to find a cobler that can make me a pair of sandals on Teras, anyone want to have a go?

Nilandia
09-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Find someone on Teras to grab you a piece of it, and I can get them for you.

Gretchen

Proxy
09-27-2008, 01:28 AM
Find someone on Teras to grab you a piece of it, and I can get them for you.

Gretchen

I'm on teras now, if you have FWI access I can run some to you any time.

Proxy
09-27-2008, 02:15 AM
Anyone know if those hidden wrist/ankle sheaths will hide tatoos when worn?

soybean
09-27-2008, 08:38 AM
What do you all think? Faendryl character btw...

This won't be a particularly helpful comment, but I just wanted to say that about three items in I could tell it was going to be a Faendryl character (I just reread some of the clothing documents last week). And that's not a bad thing! I like it, and besides, it made me happy that I recognized something.

Proxy
09-28-2008, 01:32 AM
Got the sandals, and the underrobe back from sadie. Here is the final look.

He is wearing a pair of wire-framed spectacles, a shimmering bourde silk cape with a siren lizard skin hem, some stark black brocade robes with a silver-adorned collar, an ankle-length bourde silk underrobe with ruched long sleeves, a silver laced rich ebon sash, and a pair of calf laced black tsark skin sandals.

I'll forgo the hat at this point since I can't find anything that seems to work. le sigh...