PDA

View Full Version : Scarabs

DaMaGe
01-16-2004, 07:06 PM
How much training in perception and disarming will I need before I begin seeing scarab traps?

I have a level eight rogue doubled in both and he NEVER sees the fucking things. It sucks not being able to pick my own locks because I keep dying from scarabs.

-Adam

Xcalibur
01-16-2004, 07:07 PM
8?

I was told you needed 50 ranks in disarm + perception to disarm them (on the ground)

On the box? eh, you need as much as it's needed

Kitsun
01-16-2004, 07:15 PM
Your going to need a few more levels under your belt with double training before you'll be able to get your own. Even triplers have trouble till about 15-18 or so.

Edaarin
01-16-2004, 07:21 PM
I'm guessin you can see somewhere around a -100 to -120 trap, max. Minimum for a scarab is -80, so if you're checkin for traps and get a crappy attempt, you miss it.

Xcalibur
01-16-2004, 07:27 PM
40 +40 + X from your stats.

Always tripple check your boxes until you know you can do em easily.

Czeska
02-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Is it true arcane helps with bugs ? How much?

Parkbandit
02-10-2004, 05:05 PM
All I know is Falgrin is double trained in disarming and has spell 404...

And in GS4, he missed disarming a scarab for the first time ever.

Have they changed? He's disarmed thousands of scarabs in GS3.. so I don't believe I rolled a 0 or 1... something is different. Perhaps now it's not a set level of training for scarabs.. but instead is based on the trap that was disarmed?

Glavenfyre
02-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Yeah, lots of changes to scarabs.. but they came about back during HSN. No one knows for sure what you need to disarm them but it's not the old 50 ranks.

It seems to be related to the difficulty as they were on the box, and your ability depends not only on your disarm skill, but also on your skill in Arcane Symbols (Or whatever they changed scroll reading into). Pay attention to the message it gives you when you try to disarm, that will give some indication as to whether you successfully disarmed it or not.

Ambrosia
02-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by DaMaGe
How much training in perception and disarming will I need before I begin seeing scarab traps?

I have a level eight rogue doubled in both and he NEVER sees the fucking things. It sucks not being able to pick my own locks because I keep dying from scarabs.

-Adam

The 10 train rogue I play triples in picking, disarming and perception and she has 10 ranks in Arcane Symbols as well. She see's the scarabs just fine and she can also disarm on the first try every time unless she is injured.

TheEschaton
02-17-2004, 04:35 PM
GS4 has made picking *almost* hard. My rogue actually missed a scarab the other day, and got killed when he went to pick it. He's never missed SEEING a trap before (well, not since pre-title), let alone disarming a scarab since the 50 ranks change.

Granted, the box was from the Maaghara Tower or however the fuck you spell it, and my rogue is....well, not in the Tower hunting wise...but still.

-TheE-

Artha
02-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Is it true arcane helps with bugs ? How much?

Yes, it's true. At 25, with 20 ranks, I can disarm any scarab from anything within 10-15 levels in one shot, for sure. After that, it's not completely certain, but it's a pretty good guess that I did.

Razorfish
02-23-2004, 11:12 PM
Arcrane training helps with reading the gliphs/runes on the bug itself... as i remember having wisdom and something elst totaling 50 or better also is very useful... not too sure after the change tho... altho my rogue can read some pretty handy spells in this new world... and doesnt have to check a box within 5 levels more than once...

Edaarin
02-23-2004, 11:15 PM
Here's my experience with scarabs, if it helps any.

Up until about a 15 months ago, you needed 150 disarm skill + wisdom bonus to have a 100% chance of disarming a scarab (if you were a rogue, that number is considerably higher for non-rogues as Drizzsdt is the only nonrogue that I think could disarm 100% effectively).

When the new traps rolled around, I found that being 2x'ed in disarm with no more than 5-7 ranks of Arcane Symbols I could disarm maybe 50% of the time and get the *scritch scritch*. When GSIV opened, I bumped disarm to 3x and I could get about 80% of like leveled scarab traps with the *scritch scritch*. Changed it to 2x in disarm and picked up 20 ranks of Arcane Symbols, and I have never not gotten a *scritch scritch*.