PDA

View Full Version : Irrational Fears

Czeska
01-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Someone, Mint I think, mentioned a clown avatar being scarey. So do tell.. what are you afraid of?

And yes, clowns scare the **** out of me. There is something fundamentally wrong with a man who dresses in a manner to disguise his shape and size, paints false emotions on his face, and plays with children.
It. Poltergeist. Need I say more?

01-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Living an unfulfilled life.

Mint
01-16-2004, 02:35 PM
No fair, your poll has two fears of mine listed but I can only pick one. Spiders are the creepiest things on earth. And being buried alive...nuff said.

Halfsilver
01-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Kind of obscure, but I once went diving in Mexico...and at the edge of the reef, the water just drops off into blue nothingness.

For some reason, that blue void scared the shit out of me, and I started feeling like I couldn't breath, which is pretty bad 40 feet below the surface of the gulf and was made worse by the fact that my regulator was fucked up.

I guess it's kind of an under-ocean specific form of Agoraphobia.

HarmNone
01-16-2004, 02:51 PM
There was a time when I would completely lose it at the very sight of a spider. It did not matter if the bloody thing was the size of a pin-head or as big as an antelope. I was going to lose it either way.

I have moved beyond that, and can deal better with the crawly little critters now. However, I still do not like them.

HarmNone

Hips
01-16-2004, 02:55 PM
Spiders are the scariest thing EVER. :no:

And they keep on putting ridiculously huge spiders in movies... like in Harry Potter and Return of the King. I mean... I know they were in the books, but... couldn't they just have left them out? For me? :(

Czeska
01-16-2004, 03:00 PM
<grins at Michiko> I had my feet in my chair during that scene in RotK. And my loving bf kept making crawly fingers up my leg. Yes, I beat him.

Latrinsorm
01-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Heights. Big time. I remember going rock climbing one time (because it's not that high, I thought) (like an idiot) and I just froze about 3/4 of the way up. I couldn't move, at all. It was not cool. And there was a hot chick watching me, too. I guess it could've been worse if Batman was watching me too, but that was very not fun.

p.s. fear of spiders isn't really irrational though, because they're direct emissaries from Satan. It's only natural.

Mint
01-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

p.s. fear of spiders isn't really irrational though, because they're direct emissaries from Satan. It's only natural.

:lol: That sums it up.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
01-16-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm a little afraid of heights, but because of it I go sky diving and cliff diving. No drug can give you a high like jumping from a plane or off a cliff if you are ALREADY terrified of it.

I conquer my fears, or at least face them head on when I can.

CrystalTears
01-16-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm afraid of spiders and I'm claustrophobic. So the day that I get trapped in a small space with a spider, consider me suicidal.

pennywise
01-16-2004, 04:09 PM
definately clowns. Damn you Pennywise the dancing clown.

Scott
01-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Ferris wheels.

Mint
01-16-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by pennywise
definately clowns. Damn you Pennywise the dancing clown.

Better edit that to say 'definitely' or bobmuhthol will crawl up your butt.

Bobmuhthol
01-16-2004, 04:13 PM
HAHA YOU MISSPELLED DEFINITELY.

Miss X
01-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Like any normal human being, I too am scared of spiders, since they are actually evil and can read your mind. I'm also really really scared of birds, I freak out if a bird flies past me and start screaming and stuff!

theotherjohn
01-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Miss X
Like any normal human being, I too am scared of spiders, since they are actually evil and can read your mind.

Dont forget some spiders have a life span over 20 years to work their evil on you

Mint
01-16-2004, 04:44 PM
I have to shift my stance on spiders a bit: the spider in Charlotte's Web is cool.

And a 20 YEAR lifespan?? Tell me your lying.

HarmNone
01-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
I'm afraid of spiders and I'm claustrophobic. So the day that I get trapped in a small space with a spider, consider me suicidal.

If you ever get trapped in a small space, you KNOW there is going to be a spider in there, and it will probably be dark so you cannot tell where the hell the little beggar is! :D

HarmNone

theotherjohn
01-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Mint
And a 20 YEAR lifespan?? Tell me your lying.

not at all. some female spiders are up to 40 years or longer.

Do a search on mygalomorphs. Just dont let their axe like fangs bite ya while you are searching

Mint
01-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Holy crap! I googled spider lifespans and will now have nightmares for weeks just from the pictures I saw let alone the lifespan.

Parkbandit
01-16-2004, 05:06 PM
I really have no irrational fears like these... I will jump if I see a snake I didn't expect to see.. but other than that, I can't think of anything.

How the hell can anyone actually be afraid of a stupid spider? It's like this big (**). At some point, you have to tell yourself "Gee, I'm like 2 million times bigger than the spider.. how about I just stomp on it with my foot?"

Skirmisher
01-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Miss X
Like any normal human being, I too am scared of spiders, since they are actually evil and can read your mind. I'm also really really scared of birds, I freak out if a bird flies past me and start screaming and stuff!

Hrm...I don't mind spiders actually.

As long as they stay in the corner catching anything else that comes in they can stay. If they get out of line though its the shoe for them. ::splat::

Clowns...are an iffy thing. I'll be honest, Jonty's clown picture was kind of scary to me. Just imagine coming up to that image alone at night? Thank you but no.
Being in tight places though? Once again not for me...By that I mean like MRI kind of tight, not in just an elevator or something, thats no problem.

Pierat
01-16-2004, 05:09 PM
1 - Carrot-top scares me

2 - Heights (I was fine till someone moved the scafolding I was working on and tipped it over, now im just not cool about it, I deal, but its just not cool, yah dig?)

3 - I have to agree with Halfdoller, same thing happened to me while diving

[Edited on 1-16-2004 by Pierat]

Weedmage Princess
01-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Rodents. I have a horrible fear of rodents.

Mint
01-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

How the hell can anyone actually be afraid of a stupid spider? It's like this big (**). At some point, you have to tell yourself "Gee, I'm like 2 million times bigger than the spider.. how about I just stomp on it with my foot?"

Because they are not always conveniently on the ground. They climb walls and ceilings and the damn things are FAST. I heard some even leap. Besides why stomp on them when you can get someone else too? I woke my dad up once at 3 am to kill a spider that was stalking me when I was 10. Let's just say...he was not happy with me.

Parkbandit
01-16-2004, 05:14 PM
BOO!!!!

CrystalTears
Originally posted by HarmNone
If you ever get trapped in a small space, you KNOW there is going to be a spider in there, and it will probably be dark so you cannot tell where the hell the little beggar is! :D

HarmNone

Cruel woman! If you cut me do I not bleeeed?! ::whines::

Parkbandit
SCARY!!

Parkbandit
01-16-2004, 05:15 PM
SCREAM!!!

Mint
01-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
SCREAM!!!

You are cruel!! And sort of funny I guess. STOP POSTING.

Parkbandit
01-16-2004, 05:17 PM
OH MY GOD!!!

theotherjohn
01-16-2004, 05:21 PM
http://www.insectimage.com/Gallery%2018/brownrecluse.html

go to the above for a spider bite photo

Mint
01-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by theotherjohn
http://www.insectimage.com/Gallery%2018/brownrecluse.html

go to the above for a spider bite photo

No thanks, had my fill of spider pictures

Latrinsorm
01-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit (sort of)
lol u guys afriad of spyders r dumbz0r
They're called irrational fears for a reason, you know. And it's not because they're rational, quite the contrary: It's because their is no logical reason for them. Brain chemistry, feng shui, drug abuse, blame it on what you will, but it is impossible to reason away a phobia. If you're a Freudian jerkoff, you can try continuous presentation of the fear stimulus (boy is that ever fun to do to infants) and try to make it go away, but nah. It's like herpes, or something.

note: I'm really hungry right now, so I probably don't make sense.

01-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Heh ToJ my buddy was bite TWICE by a brown recluse in the field once. It was pretty fucking nasty

01-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Altho, having looked at those pictures you posted, they weren't that bad.

Brat8525
01-16-2004, 07:43 PM
The only thing I am really afraid of, is being home alone at night. I turn on every light in the place, oh and when I sleep, the bedroom door HAS to be shut. I just know someone is standing in the doorway if I leave it open.

Souzy
01-16-2004, 07:47 PM
I had to go with others. Clowns aren't scary, they just look perverted. I use to pull the legs off spiders when I was younger. Dark places aren't that scary unless it's some creepy place. Small/confined places don't scare me either, unless someone has really bad BO, then I'll cry and scream.

The only thing that seems to make me scream, is ummm...my friends nasty smelly ferret. It's not that it scrares me. The damn thing just stinks. :thumbsdown:

Mint
01-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by RangerD1

You said that to make us look, DIDN'T YOU?? Well congratulations, I will never sleep again. :mad:. I got as far as the one where it starts to turn green.

Xcalibur
01-16-2004, 07:56 PM
Human's mind is too marvelous to lose some of its capacities into having obsessive fears.

I'd vote nothing, but it would be a bit of pride to pretend i fear nothing at all.

I cured my gf's fear of spiders by forcing her to squash em, by the way.

Souzy
01-16-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Xcalibur
I cured my gf's fear of spiders by forcing her to squash em, by the way.

Mean bastard! :P

Xcalibur
01-16-2004, 08:11 PM
but effective ;)

01-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Mint

Originally posted by RangerD1

You said that to make us look, DIDN'T YOU?? Well congratulations, I will never sleep again. :mad:. I got as far as the one where it starts to turn green.

Go straight to 10

Bobmuhthol
01-16-2004, 09:01 PM
I have a strong fear of Vif.