PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Love?

Latrinsorm
01-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Ok, so I've been here for a little bit now, and here's what I see:

1. Some people are really exorbitantly nice.
2. Some people are pretty nice, but get a little gritty sometimes.
3. Some people never post.
4. Some people can be nice (or at least cordial), but they can also spew such unmitigated, vitriolic hatred it makes me want to cry.
5. Some people are just jerks.

I don't understand why people are so mean from time to time (or always in certain cases). It doesn't add anything to anyone's life, it doesn't make anything better, why does it happen? Please note: I am not talking about instances of black humor or other instances of jokes derived from cruelty (a la Tayre's post about his 19th birthday and "AIM conversations" that went along with it), I am talking about when for seemingly little to no provocation, people just explode all over somebody else.

I could understand it if this was some kind of giant telephone switchboard or telepathic interchange, but it's laughably easy to examine what you're about to say in this type of format. I don't believe anyone (who posts regularly) here is suffering from such a severe lack of maturity that they're unable to understand what they're saying.

So I ask: Why is there hate here? Where's the love?

Edaarin
01-16-2004, 01:53 PM
I like to think of myself as a level headed person 90% of the time. The other 10% results from getting frustrated to the point where I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. A handful of people have managed to get under my skin, and I don't mind calling them out on stupid shit from time to time.

Halfsilver
01-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Not here. I used to be nice. Now, I'm just a jaded, defensive poster. For the most part.

I think that most people post the same way that they're responded to.

Brat8525
01-16-2004, 02:02 PM
I think that the majority of those who post here are nice people. There are a few who I think must just hate life and themselves so much, they feel the need to spread the hate.

I personally come here to read up on the latest GS news, and to read peoples posts whom I find to be funny, and informative. The others, well I just laugh and feel sorry for them.

Hulkein
01-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Well I was introduced to the forums because someone told me about a thread about me that Jolena started (regarding an in-game situation) so for a while I was just an asshole in general but I think I'm pretty level-headed now.

[Edited on 1-16-2004 by Hulkein]

Mint
01-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

4. Some people can be nice (or at least cordial), but they can also spew such unmitigated, vitriolic hatred it makes me want to cry.

Sounds like real life to me, lots of diversity.

Hips
01-16-2004, 02:06 PM
I personally think I'm pretty nice and level-headed. For the most part, anyway. Apparently I come across as the giddy schoolgirl type, though. I'm *not* like that at all, I swear. :mad:

As far as everyone else goes... eh. We have our mix of every personality. It makes things interesting, in my opinion. :)

Halfsilver
01-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Mint's right.

Mint
01-16-2004, 02:08 PM
God I LOVE being right

Myshel
01-16-2004, 02:11 PM
People post to get things off their chest, say things they wouldn't say ig or rl. The animosity of the boards let them. Some are attention hounds, some seem just to post to get a laugh or a reaction. The old, "any attention bad or good is better than no attention at all", routine. Boredom does funny things to people.
Then there are the people are truly helpful and use the boards as entertainment and help when they can. There's the love.

Bewitchindryad25
01-16-2004, 02:11 PM
You can't expect things to be sunshine and flowers all the time. We have many different people here with different attitudes, personalities, beliefs etc. Not everyone is going to agree. Not everyone is going to be sunshine and happy frolicing bunny type all the time. Its just like anything in real life. When you involve a large group of people. Things are going to clash with one another.

We are human, not some machines with all the same thoughts programs etc put into one another.

I may not always be love love all the time. But I like most everyone here and those I don't I tend to ignore or just tear into a few times get it all out put it up front and let them know it.

I'm here the way I am in real life. If you piss me off Im going to let you know about it. If you do something I like I'm going to let you know also. But just because I disagree with how someone does or is, doesn't mean I'm going to hate them. So I disagree big deal, everyone has different opinions

~ Amber

Kia
01-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Its very easy to be an ass on a message board. I doubt half of the things said would be the same if said to the person's face.

Cuz if you said it to my face, I'd smack you... or something... yeahhhhh.

*gets mean*

KIA.

Edaarin
01-16-2004, 02:21 PM
I don't hit senior citizens :(

Halfsilver
01-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Kia's right too.

Jonty
01-16-2004, 02:26 PM
There is no love.

Czeska
01-16-2004, 02:26 PM
<shudders at the thought of being surrounded by millions of happy frolicking bunnies>

Mint
01-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Jonty
There is no love.

Well, I love your new avatar. That clown one scared me.

01-16-2004, 02:29 PM
I think you are all assholes. Stop being a jerk to Latrinstorm!

Kia
01-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Czeska
<shudders at the thought of being surrounded by millions of happy frolicking bunnies>

Ooo... bunnies!

Count me in!

What were we talking about again?

KIA.

Shalla
01-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

I don't understand why people are so mean from time to time (or always in certain cases). It doesn't add anything to anyone's life, it doesn't make anything better, why does it happen? Please note: I am not talking about instances of black humor or other instances of jokes derived from cruelty (a la Tayre's post about his 19th birthday and "AIM conversations" that went along with it), I am talking about when for seemingly little to no provocation, people just explode all over somebody else.

I could understand it if this was some kind of giant telephone switchboard or telepathic interchange, but it's laughably easy to examine what you're about to say in this type of format. I don't believe anyone (who posts regularly) here is suffering from such a severe lack of maturity that they're unable to understand what they're saying.

So I ask: Why is there hate here? Where's the love?

How naive. What utopian society have you been living in? As if this is your first time being exposed to this kind of environment. You have a childish conception that people are only capable of doing one thing and not the other.

You are asking an age old, one of life's mysteries that not even prophets, messiahs, gods or jebuses could give us a proper answer. but simply that it's just the way it is. It's a universe in balance, and that one thing can not exist without the other. The same way you cannot separate life from death.. darkness from light. It's a cycle.. Odds are, that you are going to be left insane.. rather than solve this mystery.

I think you posted this thing to instigate drama. How can you possibly play a game such as gemstone.. where good, evil doers, and neutral parties are rampant.. And not understand the concept? How can you be good, when you don't even know what you're being good about.. What being good means. what you're fighting for. How can you be bad, when you don't even know what you're being bad about? why people are bad?

boo hoo.

[Edited on 1-16-2004 by Lady Shalla]

Latrinsorm
01-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Bewitchindryad25
You can't expect things to be sunshine and flowers all the time. We have many different people here with different attitudes, personalities, beliefs etc. Not everyone is going to agree. Not everyone is going to be sunshine and happy frolicing bunny type all the time. Its just like anything in real life. When you involve a large group of people. Things are going to clash with one another.

I agree, however, I don't see why a disagreement has to become vehement and hateful, especially in a case such as this, when it's so easy not to be.

I think Hulkein made an excellent point as well, in that many times people show up here after they've been bashed in some thread, and act accordingly. Which is a bad start.

Originally posted by Lady Shalla
What utopian society have you been living in?
I assure you, I am aware of evil in life. My main question was why in a medium such as this, where editing, proofreading, and private (more or less) conversation are much easier than, say, a face to face conversation, people still insist on posting vicious remarks. To reiterate: my question is not "why are some people mean?" it is "why are some people mean in this setting?"

I also assure you that the last thing I wanted to do was to provoke drama. I was merely curious, as I could not fathom why one would persist in rotten behavior while being capable of much less rotten behavior. Categories 1 and 4 are the only segments of my list that confuse me (when placed in this setting).

Shalla
01-16-2004, 03:11 PM
This medium is still a method of communication. and every communication is driven by emotion. When emotion is involved, logic and self control rarely stands out. We are all human after all. I applaud you if you claim that you have not once slipped and let your emotions take ahold of your senses. But I highly doubt it.

Drew2
01-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Where is the love?
<3 Connecticut. <3

Parkbandit
01-16-2004, 03:51 PM
Fine.

Sorry I made you cry Latrinsorm.

Puss. :smug:

Hips
01-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Tayre

Where is the love?
<3 Connecticut. <3

Awww... *blush*

Scott
01-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by GS3 Michiko

Originally posted by Tayre

Where is the love?
<3 Connecticut. <3

Awww... *blush*

Wooder.

Weedmage Princess
01-16-2004, 04:06 PM
I'm always nice.

Shalla
01-16-2004, 04:08 PM
I think I'm nice too. :)

Latrinsorm
01-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Weedmage Princess
I'm always nice.
Oh yeah?

Tom Brady sucks, Teddy Bruschi sucks, whoever your coach is sucks. ;)

Parkbandit's apology made me cry harder. :sniffle: All those dots! And stuff. Anyway.

Skirmisher
01-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Of course some people go farther here than they would face to face, but that is sadly to be expected.

Overall I think as long as you are not a non stop jerk then you should be received fairly well here. I know I lurked for a good six months or so before ever posting but enjoy the diversity we do have.

Yes you do have to bear some flames once in a while, but as long as you don't take everything personally it is a pretty nice place.

Oh yah, and I'm sugar and spice and all that good stuff.

01-16-2004, 07:36 PM
I'm always nice you fuckheads. Refer to weedmage's comments on my sig.

Souzy
01-16-2004, 07:42 PM
I'm always nice. As for the others, I can't speak for them assholes. :D

Snapp
01-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Gemstone101

Wooder.

Senior Citizen! We do not all say that!! :mad:

I'd also like to tell everyone how nice I am too. :)

Scott
01-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Snapp

Originally posted by Gemstone101

Wooder.

Senior Citizen! We do not all say that!! :mad:

Yes, we do..... It's not my fault you are weird.

Latrinsorm
01-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Ok, so after being at... that place... for a few days, forget everything I said.

Jonty
01-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Mint
Well, I love your new avatar. That clown one scared me.

Hehe, thanks, but now I'm going to have to change it back again so there'll be no love again.

P.S. Your avatar is fucked up.

Bobmuhthol
01-20-2004, 08:51 PM
<<P.S. Your avatar is fucked up.>>

So's mine. We both use an image attachment on the Players' Corner as avatars, and since the Players' Corner doesn't exist at the moment (not at that URL) it isn't displayed.

Soulpieced
01-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Not getting any love from me.

MaryJane
01-21-2004, 11:39 AM
I LOVE ME!!!! GO ME. You suck.