PDA

View Full Version : Non-profit?

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
09-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Is anyone familiar with a way to get started in non-profit work, much less actually make a living while doing said work full time? I've had an idea that I think I've pretty much cornered the market on (for lack of a better term), and I think there could really be something positive that comes from it, if I ever develop the idea further.

By all means pm me, IM me on AIM (lxxxCoryxxxl), or just reply here! Any constructive input is appreciated, so don't be shy.

The Ponzzz
09-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Yes, it would require lots of fundraising, grants and sba aid. It's a tough route to build from the ground out. They general start off as more of a love for what ever you're doing and grow to a large size where you can make a salary via fund raising.

Asile
09-20-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm not really sure about STARTING a non-profit, but I have worked full-time for one and still work part-time for it. And while I was there full-time I was making a fairly decent salary (though I would have made at least $5k/year more for the same work in the private sector). You just may not be able to expect a really livable salary at the beginning.

Like Mario said, find your grants and do your fundraising.

Aaaaannndd... if/when you begin bringing in more people to work for you, get people who not only care about your cause but also have a business mindset so that you can run your non-profit like a business. It's one of the most misunderstood things about non-profits: you ARE allowed to make money. It's just that the PROFIT has to be reinvested in the organization to support/improve/increase services, not give you a huge raise or bonus, or reward investors. A lot of people who are drawn to non-profit work are there just for the cause and focus just on that and don't see it as a business. Getting people who can be devoted to a cause and behave like a business professional will help you succeed and make the most of your precious dollars.

You may want to look into whether there's a consortium or some sort of support group for non-profits in your area; that can be a huge source of information. (For example, the University of Richmond runs a website with services available for non-profits, job openings, events, and so on. If I remember right, there were groups that would offer free or low-cost legal and accounting advice, which is very useful for a start-up.)

I'm curious what your idea is. If you don't want to publicly share, please PM me or IM me at LyrrahC.

Good luck!

TheEschaton
09-20-2008, 12:50 AM
NGOs almost always require a full time grant-writer/fundraiser. It's one of the most vital posts in any NGO. So, if your President is doing the technical stuff, and operations (I imagine you're not big enough to have CIOs and COOs, even though larger NGOs are going to the corporate model), you'll need someone to address those issues.

-TheE-

Sean of the Thread
09-20-2008, 01:10 AM
What's the cause.. what's the plan? You cut yourself a check as salary. Write Michael Jackson and ask for money.

American Legion is non profit for example. Moose and Elks and such are not.

The Ponzzz
09-20-2008, 01:28 AM
NGOs almost always require a full time grant-writer/fundraiser. It's one of the most vital posts in any NGO. So, if your President is doing the technical stuff, and operations (I imagine you're not big enough to have CIOs and COOs, even though larger NGOs are going to the corporate model), you'll need someone to address those issues.

-TheE-

Yea, while it might not seem important now, building a board of directors is something you will also need to plan.

It is a lot of work, I'm sorry I never got back to you the other night, things were a bit hectic here when you IMed me. I'm not extremely familiar with building a NPO, all I know, is it will take a lot of work, and it will be without pay for a long time to get it there.

There are also a lot of forms/paperwork you will need to work up if you feel you're in the starting process.

Sean of the Thread
09-20-2008, 01:34 AM
Don't make me post the spooning motel picture Alok.

I'll blackmail you into helping this football retard.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
09-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Don't make me post the spooning motel picture Alok.

I'll blackmail you into helping this football retard.

Awe, why thanks!

Though I guess I'm -just- retarded enough to be starting my fantasy football season off at 3-0, eh? ;)

Sean of the Thread
09-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Though I guess I'm -just- retarded enough to be starting my fantasy football season off at 3-0, eh? ;)

That just means there are more retarded people in your league than you. CONGRATS!

TheEschaton
09-20-2008, 12:22 PM
A) The picture is not of me spooning anyone

B) The picture is of 5 guys sharing a hotel room to smoke weed and eat doritos in Florida on spring break.

C) I've already posted a response in this thread.

Sean of the Thread
09-20-2008, 12:32 PM
:cough: dude spooner :cough: