PDA

View Full Version : RP age

The Cat In The Hat
01-15-2004, 03:51 PM
This was started in the Kataleena thread and I thought it would ne interesting to get everyones opinion on it.

Is it cool to create a character and RP a 10 year old?

IMO, Yes, depending on ths circumstances.
If you RP a 10 year old empath and up her "age" every training to where shes eventually healing bleeders as an "adult" then yes, as long as there's serious RP and the "ageing" doesnt happen super fast.

But a 10 year old should ACT like a 10 year old. I wouldnt let my 10 year old rub around with a sword and kill things and especially people and im pretty sure in midevil times they werent allowed to either (But Im pretty sure they were in training to use such)

Discuss.

Cat

Wezas
01-15-2004, 03:55 PM
I think if someone can RP a pregnacy, there should be no reason someone could not RP being a baby, 5, 10, 15, whatever. Would it get annoying? Likely. Do the mechanics match up? A while ago I would have said no, but now I say maybe:

>You see BabyFace
He appears to be Young.

It doesn't say 20's, 30's, 40's like it used to. It could be RP'd out. I've seen people play everything from roltons (Barumples) to Jackasses (Edine). Almost anything is possible.

Mint
01-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Wasn't there a whole 'Childrens Crusade' in the medieval era. Bunch of kids outfitted with swords and sent to the holy land or something? Of course, I doubt many of them came back.

Anebriated
01-15-2004, 03:58 PM
I think i heard of that but their 'children' were teenagers i believe. young teens, but still teens.

edit:

I've seen people play everything from roltons (Barumples) to Jackasses (Edine). Almost anything is possible.

HAHA

[Edited on 1-15-2004 by Elrodin]

Mint
01-15-2004, 04:00 PM
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/1212pueri.html

Age six and up apparently

Anebriated
01-15-2004, 04:01 PM
I stand corrected.

Mint
01-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Heh

Xcalibur
01-15-2004, 04:05 PM
For me, it's the same crap as should women play pregnancy.

Roleplaying like that is goind too far.

Warriorbird
01-15-2004, 04:12 PM
It's possible. If you wanted to be a real purist, you'd have to set most of your stats low. I see some professions as more suited to a child than others. There are several fantasy examples to draw from, most prominently Jimmy the Hand in Raymond Feist's Riftwar series...

A few years ago in an online game that was most decisively not Gemstone I played a cannibalistic feral child who was a dark mirror of the feral child from the Max Max series. He was probably the most frightening thing I've ever played.

Xcalibur
01-15-2004, 04:16 PM
You would play one with good skill, as many people would do.

That isn't the problem. It's those that are BAD rpers and aren't able to do so, that alone breaks all the reputation of the rest.

Less people need to see is a bunch of teens IN game swearing and talking all 1337

DaMaGe
01-15-2004, 04:34 PM
I understand that it can be done, and done well. It also can be and is done very poorly. Therefore, to save us from those who would seek to be the next Klaive, a la pretending to be the child of a God who also happens to be a werewolf, we all just get to play within the confines of the rules set before us. There are plenty of avenues to take without turning this into a free-form roleplaying game.

-Adam

[Edited on 1-15-2004 by DaMaGe]

CrystalTears
01-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Aren't there enough immature characters in the game to discourage even more with the addition of roleplaying children?

Parkbandit
01-15-2004, 04:37 PM
The real problem is that roleplaying a real 10 year old isn't convenient in some circumstances. Could a 10 year old girl really defend herself against a powerful giantman warrior in his prime? Certainly not. When confronted with this situation, a good roleplayer would get their defense as low as possible and get absolutely creamed by the giant.

Unfortunately... I've yet to see where someone can actually pull off the very young character with any consistancy... and thus, it makes zero sense from an IC standpoint.

Zero.

DaMaGe
01-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
Aren't there enough immature characters in the game to discourage even more with the addition of roleplaying children?

Exactly. Just roll up a halfling character and fall into the stereotypical happy, giggly, insanely annoying tart muncher.

Or a human, elf, or gnome that falls into that category. It doesn't have to be restricted to the normal Elanthian stereotypes.

-Adam

Miss X
01-15-2004, 04:40 PM
I think if someone can pull it off in a realistic way then its fine, however when people pick and chose which parts of childhood they will incoporate into their charecter then I lose respect completly.
My empath knows Snowdrop and gets on with her well, however I did not realise she was supposed to be 10 years old, I saw no evidence of that in the roleplay. I'm not saying she is a bad role player, I didnt see her go ooc etc, but I certainly did not realise she was 10. Having said that, I will keep an eye out from now on, perhaps I wasnt looking for the right signs.

As far as 10 year olds going around killing people, yes it does happen sometimes in reality, children are capable of it, however GS is not reality and if I was roleplaying a child in GS killing other charecters would be something I would avoid completly. I also find it strange to think that the parent of the child wouldn't do anything to stop it, no parent wants their child to have a bad reputation do they?
Vx

DaMaGe
01-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Miss X
As far as 10 year olds going around killing people, yes it does happen sometimes in reality, children are capable of it, however GS is not reality and if I was roleplaying a child in GS killing other charecters would be something I would avoid completly. I also find it strange to think that the parent of the child wouldn't do anything to stop it, no parent wants their child to have a bad reputation do they?
Vx

In a fantasy medieval setting, yes I do think that killing is a way of life for some children. However, I do not agree that we should be able to roleplay as such because of the rules set forth by the powers that be.

The rules are there for a reason.

-Adam

Drew2
01-15-2004, 04:59 PM
I hope that it's realized... Gemstone no longer raises age with training. Everyone has birthdays and ages in real time years now. The starter of this thread said that they wanted to become "older" as they trained. Unfortunatly if they started out at 10, they'd have to be 10 for a year. Then be 11. Etc. You can't 'mature' like that and defy the 'laws of time'. If you're a child, you're a child. That would be the only problem I'd have with it. If in 2 months they're suddenly acting like a 25 year old, I'd have to stab them.

Wezas
01-15-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Tayre
I hope that it's realized... Gemstone no longer raises age with training. Everyone has birthdays and ages in real time years now. The starter of this thread said that they wanted to become "older" as they trained. Unfortunatly if they started out at 10, they'd have to be 10 for a year. Then be 11. Etc. You can't 'mature' like that and defy the 'laws of time'. If you're a child, you're a child. That would be the only problem I'd have with it. If in 2 months they're suddenly acting like a 25 year old, I'd have to stab them.

So how do you maintain acting like a 12 year old while you were going up in trainings?

Vesi
01-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Well, I posted how I felt about this in the wrong thread. Basically, I say no to people playing children. Particularly children trained in the art of weapon use.

Someone posted the link about children that started their own Crusades. Children have been put in positions of power and poverty throughout history that most of us would have trouble agreeing with today (it still happens in some countries). However, we are talking about Gemstone and I feel that playing a child consistently is, at the most, very difficult or believable.

If one has to play a child, then they should not be fighting monsters or other characters. With the way age progression is, they would stay a child most of their Gemstone life.

Another thing that I would address is how they dress. Since I've never seen Snowdrop, I can't really comment. I know I've been disgusted with the 'Japanese schoolgirl' look in Gemstone. Guess that's a whole other tangent though.

I would have a problem with someone playing a child in most, if not all, instances. That is how I feel about it.

Vesi

Wezas
01-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Vesi
I know I've been disgusted with the 'Japanese schoolgirl' look in Gemstone.

Names please for ... er... research.

Vesi
01-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Wezas

Dirty old men! <grumbles> :P

Vesi

The Cat In The Hat
01-15-2004, 06:01 PM
<<The starter of this thread said that they wanted to become "older" as they trained.>>

Actually I didnt say *I* wanted to become older. I DO NT have a child character

I was refering to the idea that an empath might start her training at the age of 10, or when she becomes a teen, and in "reality" it would take you a good amount of years to master a skill like that. You dont become a master swordfighter in 2 weeks. What I was saying was use the "child" character more for RP than actual training, where a level might last you a few months, at the least. That way your "pretend age" would only go up 2-4 times a year and while in reality 4 birthdays a year is a hell of a lot, in the game it doesnt seem like that long.

Cat

The Cat In The Hat
01-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Wezas

My character has a uniform with a short skirt.

Cat

[Edited on 1-15-2004 by The Cat In The Hat]

CrystalTears
01-15-2004, 06:41 PM
Trainings has nothing to do with age, maturity or birthdays. A child that mastered kung fu in a year when he's 10 doesn't mean all of a sudden he is now an adult. You can still be a swordmaster AND be the world's biggest baby.

Pallon
01-15-2004, 07:03 PM
well-roleplayed children = :thumbsup:
100% fucking baby-talk = :thumbsdown:

edit because I can't spell worth a damn

[Edited on 1-16-2004 by Pallon]

Fallen
01-15-2004, 07:05 PM
I say I wouldnt make it against policy to roleplay being a child, I just wouldnt want to be around said character. Even if Rp'ed excellently, I dont like 8-13 year old kids in real life, I dont think I would like them in a fantasy setting either.

Vesi
01-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Fallen
I say I wouldnt make it against policy to roleplay being a child, I just wouldnt want to be around said character. Even if Rp'ed excellently, I dont like 8-13 year old kids in real life, I dont think I would like them in a fantasy setting either.

Actually, they are not that bad in real life between 8-13. Once puberty hits however... watch out!

I just assume the ages we are allowed to work with go against the mechanics of actually having a child character. That doesn't stop people though. <shrug>

"Mommy, I got a boo boo from a kobold!"

Vesi

BobLikesBigManBanana
01-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Bob is 101 years old, that or 102 is the highest possible for a giantman. He also looks and acts the part.

Caramia
01-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears

ROFLMAO...

Hanksbane
01-15-2004, 11:04 PM
I don't find it hard to believe that a ten year old can walk around brandishing weapons, in GS. In RL sure, kids that young should not be weilding weapons. But hello, this is an imaginary place. And remember, we live in a world that does not have huge monsters and creatures running around killing people, I would think that in that kind of world I would want my kids to know how to defend themselves.

Granted, can I see any ten year old fighting off a giant? probably not, but if halflings and gnomes can do it, why not a ten year old elf?

Besides that, the ten year old character I know uses a crossbow. I believe that she could kill anything she wanted with that. Swinging a sword at a giant maybe not, but shooting a bolt, I have no problems.

We can not compare Rl, to GS life, we cant even compare medieval times to GS life. In GS there are griffons, and trolls and kobolds and whatnot running around outside the city gates. None of which existed in RL. Who's to say then kids growing up in a fantasy world can not defend themselves from creatures running around right outside their houses?

Linor
01-15-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Hanksbane
I don't find it hard to believe that a ten year old can walk around brandishing weapons, in GS. In RL sure, kids that young should not be weilding weapons. But hello, this is an imaginary place. And remember, we live in a world that does not have huge monsters and creatures running around killing people, I would think that in that kind of world I would want my kids to know how to defend themselves.

Granted, can I see any ten year old fighting off a giant? probably not, but if halflings and gnomes can do it, why not a ten year old elf?

Besides that, the ten year old character I know uses a crossbow. I believe that she could kill anything she wanted with that. Swinging a sword at a giant maybe not, but shooting a bolt, I have no problems.

We can not compare Rl, to GS life, we cant even compare medieval times to GS life. In GS there are griffons, and trolls and kobolds and whatnot running around outside the city gates. None of which existed in RL. Who's to say then kids growing up in a fantasy world can not defend themselves from creatures running around right outside their houses?

Well said. We RP marriages and relationships why not children?

I know I make sure all my children in the game have adequate instruction in whatever weapon they decide to use as theirs are they 10 years old no but who am I to stop someone else from choosing THEIR characters age.

I don't have a problem with people rp'ing a child in GS.

Praefection
01-16-2004, 05:28 AM
I think from simu's standpoint they did not want people role playing children due to the fact there are some creepy people out there who might take advantage of the young age selection and turn into pedilfiles or something. Interesting note though, I rerolled an erithian (spelling?) this morning and the youngest age selection I could get was 15 years old... And I could have sworn simu said they'd never allow anything under 18.

Weedmage Princess
01-16-2004, 07:47 AM
I think it could be done, and well, too.

However it IS impossible for a 5 year old to kill a troll or anything of the like. Unless they're going hunting with someone and that person is knocking everything down for them and putting them in a position where the thing already is practically dead and they just finish it off..(I mean people do take their little kids hunting IRL anyway..I imagine they take all kinds of necessary precautions.) I guess it just depends on the person playing the character.

StrayRogue
01-16-2004, 10:04 AM
With the new features, age show descriptors etc, festure alterations etc, I am sure it could be done. However, I don't really see a kid being able to kill big monsters, wield massive weapons or fit into armor properly either. Done correctly though, I am sure it could work.

Fallen
01-16-2004, 11:55 AM
I ask you this. Would anyone want to roleplay with someone pretending to be an eight year old? Seriously. Sometimes you shouldnt ask if you could, but why should you.

StrayRogue
01-16-2004, 12:02 PM
If it was done well, I'd RP with practically anyone in any character.

Fallen
01-16-2004, 12:20 PM
I give up. I hate children. NO CHILDREN IN GEMSTONE!

Warriorbird
01-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Hey...think about all the kids in Somalia and African revolutions wielding weapons. I couldn't see certain weapon types...but things like daggers and light crossbow? Spellcasting? Hiding? Yah.

Nytalus
01-16-2004, 02:56 PM
I have absolutely no problem with someone roleplaying a child, as long as they remain in character, ie dress and act accordingly.

Certain classes wouldn't really "fit" the criteria for a younger character, such as a Cleric (one who has devoted their lives entirely to a deity). But other classes make perfect sense, such as a Rogue. I can certainly envision a street urchin running around and being a general nuisance, trying to pick pockets and thumping Lords and Ladies declaring them to be "it".

::idly scratches his beard in thought::

In fact, I think it would be downright fun to play a Rogue in his or her childhood. The clothing is certainly there, and a true roleplayer could use a wooden sword if bows/crossbows aren't his/her thing. Or thrown weapons. ::sagely nod:: That would be cool.

If mechanics are the only thing stopping you from playing a child, then you're totally in the clear, in my not so humble opinion.

Hanksbane
01-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Fallen
I ask you this. Would anyone want to roleplay with someone pretending to be an eight year old? Seriously. Sometimes you shouldnt ask if you could, but why should you.

if they were pretending to be like my RL neighbors kids then no, but like I was saying you cannot compare kids in RL with kids growing up in the GS enviroment.

Also, not all kids are annoying little brats. My boss's kid is around ten and is very intelligent and yet funny and down to earth. In fact i bet I could have a better conversation with him then some of my peers. In fact he probably acts more grown up then a lot of the GS population.