PDA

View Full Version : Pure Bard Questions

AMUSED1
09-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Would a 231 CS at level 40 be reasonably effective for a pure bard?

I plan to have enhancives that give me +14 AUR and +6 INF. And then whatever else added to AUR I can scrounge up with my AdG badge.

Also, say at 40 I have 425 and 1040, should I then start trying to 2x harness power to get as much mana and mana regen as I can or should I try to go for 2x PT for stamina and stamina regen since the bard will be in Sunfist?

Beyond that I plan to go for 2x brawl, 1x shield, 1x manip lore, 24 ranks of MMC, and 35 ranks of armor use. With a little climb and swim mixed in too.

Danical
09-10-2008, 04:30 PM
-Hunt things that swarm (e.g., Teresian thraks) and use open 1030.

-I would try to stay close to 2x spells. Don't get 2x HP - not enough return.

-Find a mage to charge blue and crystal wands for you then use 1013 on them to leech the mana (you must have 24 MMC to be effective - more MMC past 24 doesn't help).

AMUSED1
09-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah. I've been stockpiling blue crystals and crystal wands for a while now, at least.

So, if I try to stay as close to 2x spells as possible, if I already have a 100% to hit the creature no matter the d100 roll, how much more would it really help to have more CS from 2x spells? Is the damage that much better when you have say a 130 endroll from having 240 CS or 145 endroll from having 255 CS instead?

Danical
09-11-2008, 02:16 AM
Once you hit 75 manip lore for focused and 60 for open either with actual lore or instruments - if the creature doesn't have crit padding, you can reliably kill around outcomes of 130+ depending on the location.

Higher for chest/back/abs and lower for head/neck/eyes.

Use that to determine how many spells you need.

Lumi
10-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Once you hit 75 manip lore for focused and 60 for open either with actual lore or instruments - if the creature doesn't have crit padding, you can reliably kill around outcomes of 130+ depending on the location.

Higher for chest/back/abs and lower for head/neck/eyes.

Use that to determine how many spells you need.

As a general rule, over 1x HP is not remotely worth the points you'll spend to get it.

Also, critter levels within a region fluctuate. Something spawns 5 levels over its normal base, or if you have a mix of levels within a hunting ground, that extra CS definitely helps.

Finally, I hope you typo'ed "blue crystals" and meant "slender blue wands". Blue crystals are terrible for Unraveling ;)

Some Rogue
10-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Or just go CoL, pwn faces, wrack, pwn more faces and go home in under 5 minutes. :D

<3 my halfling bard for the wracking. Level 59 in the skull temple and frying so fast, I stick around awhile to use up the mana and pick up more loot.

Lumi
10-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Pfft. Who needs CoL? I pwn faces, fry, and come home in less than five minutes without even using Symbol of Deed Waste. 1013 + knowing critters == infinite mana.

Also, CoL is for lewzerz! :D

Some Rogue
10-02-2008, 03:43 PM
But when you're a halfling, you can't carry around tons of wands. And though the supplicants there do return about 35ish mana, hierophants have too many spells and I can't hit the dogmatists reliably yet so it's better to just wrack. I've never spirit deathed to wracking. Only noobs do that.

Lumi
10-02-2008, 03:48 PM
But when you're a halfling, you can't carry around tons of wands. And though the supplicants there do return about 35ish mana, hierophants have too many spells and I can't hit the dogmatists reliably yet so it's better to just wrack. I've never spirit deathed to wracking. Only noobs do that.

Who says you have to drain everything? I don't think I've ever found a hunting ground where I felt it was advantageous to drain all critters. But I do experiment until I find the one best suited to be drained. Just drain those guys dry and you'll be fine.

Luminasa carries between 2-8 wands to recharge from most of the time, that's hardly any weight, and it's more than enough to juice up when I need it. You don't need to be weighing yourself down like a baby mage with two stuffed wand harnesses.

Silly mages.

Edit: I'd also point out that in many hunting grounds, I can fry easily with just a full head of mana, and I don't NEED to drain at all. But I like to leave the hunt as close to full as possible for box popping and purification.

NocturnalRob
10-02-2008, 03:52 PM
nah. SR is right. 1030 + wracking + non-crappy spirit regen = win for bards

barring something absurd, hunts last for 5 minutes max and always fried.

Some Rogue
10-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Especially at mid-level. I'm sure things change as you get higher level.

NocturnalRob
10-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Especially at mid-level. I'm sure things change as you get higher level.

eh, that's how i'm rocking level 63 right now. higher than that, it'll likely change, but so far i'm golden

Some Rogue
10-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah, like I said, mine's 59 and kicking the crap out of the skull temple but she's not warding as often as I like so it takes more casts.

There's all of three critters there so I don't have a lot of options to unravel. I prefer to just wrack and be immediately back to full instead of running around and unravelling the critters. I find it's quicker. I will only unravel if I've already wracked and wanna finish off a few more before I leave.

Lumi
10-02-2008, 04:04 PM
eh, that's how i'm rocking level 63 right now. higher than that, it'll likely change, but so far i'm golden

Well, considering half the races in the game are elves, and they like nothing more than bitching about spirit regen, I guess we're only talking about the other half of the races =P

At 81, as a human, I find the concept of wracking for mana a laughable trade off for Fu. I just...don't need the mana to hunt with, and I never have since I became a pure (level 42ish).

You should be able to hunt without wracking and frying pretty quickly all the way to cap from where you are, provided you're willing to relocate a few times (yay for scarce high-level hunting grounds...)

NocturnalRob
10-02-2008, 04:10 PM
half-elf. and i still don't have any problems. and i don't know 425 either. i just kick the shit out of everything.

Danical
10-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Well, considering half the races in the game are elves, and they like nothing more than bitching about spirit regen, I guess we're only talking about the other half of the races =P

At 81, as a human, I find the concept of wracking for mana a laughable trade off for Fu. I just...don't need the mana to hunt with, and I never have since I became a pure (level 42ish).

You should be able to hunt without wracking and frying pretty quickly all the way to cap from where you are, provided you're willing to relocate a few times (yay for scarce high-level hunting grounds...)

FU was great until I realized 1030 was faster, safer, and FFS VOLN GET A GOD DAMN TD ENHANCER.

Finally, I hope you typo'ed "blue crystals" and meant "slender blue wands". Blue crystals are terrible for Unraveling ;)

lrn2multiquote. :(

I didn't say shit about blue crystals that was AMUSED1.

Also, I'm getting tired arguing with Delphius and Carabele on the officials but that's a whole different problem.

EDIT: WHAT THE CHRIST IS YOUR AIM AGAIN?

Lumi
10-02-2008, 04:33 PM
FU was great until I realized 1030 was faster, safer, and FFS VOLN GET A GOD DAMN TD ENHANCER.

Oh, I agree, 1030 is better (except against soul golems :D), but Fu is still fun. I like having the option of throwing up Tonis and literally kicking the living shit out of something once in awhile!

lrn2multiquote. :(

I didn't say shit about blue crystals that was AMUSED1.

Misclick on my part, I thought that's who I was quoting.

Also, I'm getting tired arguing with Delphius and Carabele on the officials but that's a whole different problem.

EDIT: WHAT THE CHRIST IS YOUR AIM AGAIN?

Agreed. They're being like Take Two Interactive...hose the community for their own benefit. Not cool.

Danical
10-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Misclick on my part, I thought that's who I was quoting.

I know, I know. I'm just exercising my right to be a dick on these boards because, you know, I can't on the officials or I'll get locked out again.

:cry:

Lumi
10-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Hey, while I'm here, anyone have the renewal duration formula offhand? Mine is missing the stat bonuses.

Danical
10-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Agreed. They're being like Take Two Interactive...hose the community for their own benefit. Not cool.

Here's the thing . . . I think Carabele is a mildly retarded self-interested cockmonger.

Delphius is a misguided protector of the mildly retarded.

Delphius and I have butt heads before on the boards and in emails.

I think he's of the "everyone is entitled to their own belief no matter how stupid and we're all unique little snowflakes," whereas I am more of the "if your opinion holds up to rigorous inquiry and you don't get butthurt about being challenged then you're good people."

:shrug:

Danical
10-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Hey, while I'm here, anyone have the renewal duration formula offhand? Mine is missing the stat bonuses.

I don't see it on Krakiipedia :(

I could have sworn it was there.

Lumi
10-02-2008, 04:44 PM
I think he's of the "everyone is entitled to their own belief no matter how stupid and we're all unique little snowflakes," whereas I am more of the "if your opinion holds up to rigorous inquiry and you don't get butthurt about being challenged then you're good people."

:shrug:

I'll go along with that.

Who the hell does Delphius play? I know that acct name, but for the life of me I cannot remember wtf he is...

EDIT:

I don't see it on Krakiipedia

I could have sworn it was there.

Ya, first place I checked, and I could have sworn it was there too. It's 3s per INF bonus and 1s per LOG bonus, I thought, which would give us:

120s + (4s*level 1-25) + (3s*level 26-50) + (2s*level 51-75) + (1s*level 76-100) + (3*INF bonus) + (LOG bonus) + (spellsong ranks) + (2s*telepathy ranks) = renewal duration

That'd make mine: 120 + 100 + 75 + 50 + 6 + 99 + 30 + 65 = 545

Okay, I know that's definitely LONGER than my renewal duration, so something in there is wrong. Ah, well, I'm sure it'll surface somewhere.

Danical
10-02-2008, 05:20 PM
I'll go along with that.

Who the hell does Delphius play? I know that acct name, but for the life of me I cannot remember wtf he is...

I though it was seablade or something.

Lumi
10-02-2008, 05:26 PM
I though it was seablade or something.

Christ, how'd I forget that. Yeah, that's Seabla[e]de. He was on LOA or something for the summer.

Okay, that all makes sense. I usually disagree with him.

This whole thing is making me want to play Lumi again...maybe tonight.

AestheticDeath
10-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Still haven't toyed with 1013 much, whats the best way to use it on critters?

You have to stand still and wait for it to work or what?

Danical
10-02-2008, 06:53 PM
You weave another verse into your harmony, directing the sound of your voice at Edaarin.
CS: +522 - TD: +262 + CvA: +25 + d100: +46 == +331
Warding failed!
You feel your song touch the center of Edaarin's mana stores and begin to resonate, pulling at the threads of his control.
You gain 54 mana!
Sing Roundtime 3 Seconds.

Gnimble skillfully weaves another verse into his harmony, directing the sound of his voice at you.
CS: +522 - TD: +262 + CvA: +25 + d100: +46 == +331
Warding failed!
You feel a tugging at your personal stores of mana. The tugging becomes stronger and you sense your mana being siphoned away!
You lose 108 mana!

Danical
10-02-2008, 06:54 PM
You'll want to find creatures that don't have spells on them because you can't get mana without stripping all their spells off first.

You'll want 24 MMC ranks.