PDA

View Full Version : virus

Laccon
09-09-2008, 12:17 PM
I recently have caught a virus or so I think it is a virus. I cannot connect to the internet. two of my other computers can and are fin to connect to the internet but on will not anymore the most used one which is why I am assuming a virus.. I have used norton corprate edition and spysweeper with no luck on finding the virus....any suggestons before I crash and rebuild it? thanks

diethx
09-09-2008, 02:11 PM
It's just a problem with connecting to the internet? Maybe your network card went bad? I had that issue once and it was a quick and easy fix (desktop, I dunno how easy laptops are).

NocturnalRob
09-09-2008, 02:14 PM
stanley's got a virus too. ask him about it.

diethx
09-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Stanley's syphillis doesn't keep him from connecting to the internet.

NocturnalRob
09-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Stanley's syphillis doesn't keep him from connecting to the internet.

only when the sores prevent him from sitting down at his local internet cafe

diethx
09-09-2008, 02:17 PM
That's what the specially-shaped donut pillow is for.

NocturnalRob
09-09-2008, 02:19 PM
If I were going to use it as a cock-ring, I'd have to buy the bracelet instead.

That's what the specially-shaped donut pillow is for.

eh, droit uses a bracelet. i use a donut pillow.

diethx
09-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Pics or it isn't true.

NocturnalRob
09-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Pics or it isn't true.

umm...it's not true.

damnit...

diethx
09-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Booooooooooooooooooooo phony

NocturnalRob
09-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Booooooooooooooooooooo phony

eh, i've heard worse as a reaction

RichardCranium
09-09-2008, 02:28 PM
eh, i've heard worse as a reaction

Your mom's a real bitch, ain't she?

TheEschaton
09-09-2008, 02:31 PM
All I got out of this thread:

NR saying random nonsense...

...Narc's boobs....

.....more random nonsense....

....more boobs....

.....I like where this is heading.

Laccon
09-09-2008, 03:03 PM
so how can one tell if the network card has gone bad then? and yes I am talking about a desktop. is the only way to tell to just buy another and see if it works?

Trouble
09-09-2008, 04:15 PM
so how can one tell if the network card has gone bad then? and yes I am talking about a desktop. is the only way to tell to just buy another and see if it works?

Drop to a command prompt, type IPCONFIG /ALL and tell us what it says. Also check the back of your PC and make sure you have happy lights (usually yellow and/or green with some erratic blinking) where your network cable plugs in.

AestheticDeath
09-09-2008, 04:19 PM
I tried that ipconfig thing.. it pulled the window, dropped some shit and closed... how do you keep it open?

Drew2
09-09-2008, 04:22 PM
You didn't do it at the command prompt, you did it at the Run prompt.
Go to Start -> Run and type CMD and push enter. Do it at that prompt.

NocturnalRob
09-09-2008, 04:55 PM
All I got out of this thread:

NR saying random nonsense...

...Narc's boobs....

.....more random nonsense....

....more boobs....

.....I like where this is heading.

umm...doesn't it get the thread headed in the right direction though?

Warriorbird
09-09-2008, 05:02 PM
You just have to follow it up with...

5. PROFIT!!!!

NocturnalRob
09-09-2008, 05:14 PM
You just have to follow it up with...

5. PROFIT!!!!

hahahaha

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dd/Gnomes_plan.png

Laccon
09-10-2008, 08:54 AM
so i did that ipconfig/all and i got this basically idk what u needed from it but if u need more info let me know, cuz i have no idea whats wrong with the computer as to why it won't let me go on the internet, as far as i can tell the network card is working the way it should. The lights are on and such.....so this leaves me to think it is still a virus and i need to crash and rebuild cuz i can't find it.

Node Type: unknown
IP Routing enabled - no
Wins Proxy enabled - no

Ethernet adapter local area conection:

DHCP enabled - yes
Auto Configuration enabled - yes

The rest of the stuff was just my IP adress and such like that which i don't think you wanted or need out of that set of information. Anyone have any other suggestions besides crashing and rebuilding it? Thanks!

and for reference the internet says limited or no connectivity, in my case there is none and it can't repair it's self when i click on the repair, says contact the network admin which would be me so that doesn't help......

Trouble
09-10-2008, 09:35 AM
The rest of the stuff was just my IP adress and such like that which i don't think you wanted or need out of that set of information. Anyone have any other suggestions besides crashing and rebuilding it? Thanks!

and for reference the internet says limited or no connectivity, in my case there is none and it can't repair it's self when i click on the repair, says contact the network admin which would be me so that doesn't help......

Did the IP address start with a 192 or a 169?

Amber
09-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Is it just IE that isn't working, or are no browsers working? I can't get IE to work but the IT guy at work said it's due to some new upgrade with microsoft and as long as I can use other browsers not to worry about it.

Laccon
09-10-2008, 11:05 AM
yes the IP starts with 169 and the subnet mask starts with 255 if that helps? thanks, and no web browsers work IE, aim, aol no internet connection at all amber.

Trouble
09-10-2008, 11:10 AM
yes the IP starts with 169 and the subnet mask starts with 255 if that helps? thanks, and no web browsers work IE, aim, aol no internet connection at all amber.

OK the 169 means that it's unable to get an IP from your router and is using the Automatic IP Addessing scheme out of frustration.

Questions:

Has someone changed your router or cable modem lately?
Have you hit the reset button on both of them lately? If not, do it and reboot your PC for the heck of it.
Has someone in your household restricted your PC from accessing the Internet via the router's security settings?
Do the other two PCs on your network use DHCP to get their IP addresses or do they have static IPs? (Run ipconfig /all on them to see)

Laccon
09-10-2008, 12:06 PM
as far as i know nothing has been changed to restrict acess to that computer for the internet. rebooting and resetting the routers and such has done nothing for it. and the IPs on the other two computers are 192 - also the DHCP and DNS servers are also 192 - so yes they are using the DHCP as far as i can tell. So my conclusion is i just got an annoying virus that is blocking the internet? thats all i can come up with as to why that one computer doesn't have internet acess. it always worked fine just stopped working at the begining of the week. thanks for all the help so far! any other information i can provide for anyone that knows about this stuff?

Trouble
09-10-2008, 12:36 PM
as far as i know nothing has been changed to restrict acess to that computer for the internet. rebooting and resetting the routers and such has done nothing for it. and the IPs on the other two computers are 192 - also the DHCP and DNS servers are also 192 - so yes they are using the DHCP as far as i can tell. So my conclusion is i just got an annoying virus that is blocking the internet? thats all i can come up with as to why that one computer doesn't have internet acess. it always worked fine just stopped working at the begining of the week. thanks for all the help so far! any other information i can provide for anyone that knows about this stuff?

I doubt it's a virus. Many viruses prefer that you are connected to the Net so they can propagate.

Ok try this, disconnect your router from the cable modem and plug your PC directly into the modem. After that, reset your PC and the modem. Then do another ipconfig and test the web.

Laccon
09-10-2008, 12:51 PM
ok i tried connecting it directly to the computer, and the ipconfig showed the same exact things as before the ip is still 169 and dhcp still enabled and all.

Trouble
09-10-2008, 12:57 PM
ok i tried connecting it directly to the computer, and the ipconfig showed the same exact things as before the ip is still 169 and dhcp still enabled and all.

Hmm. And you reset the modem and PC? I'm not sure then. Maybe try a different LAN cable?

Do you have AV installed on the PC? Are your definitions up to date? When was the last full scan you ran? Do you have auto-protect enabled?

Maybe Anticor or one of the other troubleshooting types will read this thread and have some ideas...

Laccon
09-10-2008, 09:42 PM
alright well thanks for the help....guess i am going to just have to rebuild it.

The Ponzzz
09-10-2008, 10:08 PM
It shouldn't be displaying the same IP as when it was before the router. release the IP address and turn your computer off. Then unplug your cable modem for a minute. Plug the modem back in wait till it is fully loaded, then turn on the PC.

If you did that. I'd invest in buying a virus scan from the store. It should not display a router IP address when not connected to a router.

TheRunt
09-11-2008, 02:17 AM
Did you upgrade Yahoo or Aim lately? I can't remember which but one of them has a problem with vista. I had a problem with my internet when I installed one of them. Had to reinstall vista to get rid of it.

Stanley Burrell
09-11-2008, 03:33 AM
This is between me and my vast collection of plastic novelty vaginas.

You leave us alone.

Laccon
09-11-2008, 09:54 AM
i have the norton anti virus corprate edition, and i have gotten rid of all the virus's it has found and such. and still with no luck on connecting. one of my neighbors who is pretty good with computers suggested i go into the CMD and do something like restore settings because the virus could have just changed it and now i have gotten rid of it. he said it should show setting from last week or the week before that, but i forget how he said to do it and everytime i put in restore, or restore settings in the CMD promt it doesn't work gives me an error saying it's not a command or something. anyone know what he is talking about and how to go about doing this? thanks

The Ponzzz
09-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Do a system restore. Go into your programs > accessories > system tools. Should be in there. Or just put the XP/Vista disc in and select restore.