PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Training a Cleric

Jonty
01-15-2004, 07:17 PM
ALright, I've never done this before. This is my first time looking for help training a character. I'm helping someone train their cleric for GS4. But I have no clue how to train a cleric now. They've made it much harder to train in phycial stuff in GS4 because of the raised costs. So I'm getting a little stuf here.

She's a level 16 elven cleric. Here's the stats I'm starting her with.

CON 70
DEX 82
DIS 70
LOG 46
INT 70
STR 70
AGL 77
INF 20
WIS 74
AUR 81

First I put the stats for optimal growth, then modified them for TPs and spirit. I most likely will not budge on changing the stats.

Here are 2 possible training plans I came up with.

2x spells
2x spell aim
1x edged
1x harness power
1x spirit mana control
1x spirit lore
.8x perception
.75x Physical Fittness
.75x CM
.5x armor
.5x sheld
.35x climb
.35x swim

or ditch spell aim and:

2x spells
1x edged
1x Physical Fittness
1x CM
1x armor
1x sheld
1x harness power
1x spirit mana control
1x spirit lore
.75x perception
.35x climb
.35x swim

Are these sutible training plans? Which type of spiritual lore would you recommend? What affects 302?

Snapp
01-15-2004, 07:20 PM
They both look okay, depending what kind of cleric she wants. I take it she wants a swinging one? I know a lot of clerics are pure casters (rune staff users) now. Also, Religion lore affects 302.

Mint
01-15-2004, 07:22 PM
I thought religious lore infused more mana in 302. If she plans on using 302 to hunt wouldnt it be better to drop the shield/weapon training and go with runestaffs?

Mint
01-15-2004, 07:23 PM
Ah Snapp is too fast for me.

Sean
01-15-2004, 07:28 PM
i 302 hunt and i train in sword and shields. im very viable.

Kitsun
01-15-2004, 07:33 PM
So damn close. I have a guide written for a pure balanced runestaff cleric elven baner.

At 17, she can swing for a long while to come if she chooses to. At least thats the way it worked out in GSIII.

Statwise I'm not sure the CO needs to be that high. Your probably better off tanking it for the MTP area.

If she wants to swing, you probably want to stick in some CM. However that closes off the ability to use 111/306 but she probably wouldn't need to use it till later anyway.

The split path doesn't seem as effective as it once was. OHE's hit like noodles and with EBP, it gets worse.

I recommend keeping about 2/3 trained in Major Spirit so she can keep stuff binded.

Jonty
01-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Thanks. I'm not interested in the rune staff path. I'm looking for her to be a good swinger, but still be able to hunt well with 302 at higher trains. I'd also like her to be able to bolt, but it eats up a lot of points. Would the bolting path have problems because of DS at higher trains because of only .5x shield training?

Jonty
01-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Yeah, OHEs suck now. I didn't take that much consideration into that while coming up with those paths.

Jonty
01-15-2004, 07:37 PM
OK, if I were to take off 10 from CO, what would you recommend putting the 10 points in, wisdom?

Sean
01-15-2004, 07:38 PM
i never found bolting to be useful unless you like hunting undead. or are just bored with 302. but ds with bolting isnt a big deal because bolt hunting looks like this and your in guarded as soon as you know it.

>prep 111
cast kob
You utter a light chant and raise your hands, beckoning the lesser spirits to aid you with the Fire Spirit spell...
Your spell is ready.
>stance defensive
You gesture at a kobold.
You hurl a roaring ball of fire at a kobold!
AS: +9 vs DS: +26 with AvD: +60 + d100 roll: +66 = +109
... and hit for 3 points of damage!
Burst of flames to abdomen. Didn't hurt much.
The roaring ball of fire strikes a kobold, blossoming into a much larger sphere of flame upon impact.
... 40 points of damage!
Right forearm burned clean off. At least it's cauterized.
The kobold's short sword falls to the ground.
The kobold crumples to a heap on the ground and dies.

A burst of flame from your roaring ball of fire flies off and hits a kobold.
... 70 points of damage!
Fire completely surrounds a kobold. Blood boils and heart stops.

A burst of flame from your roaring ball of fire flies off and hits a kobold.
... 70 points of damage!
Flame burns through a kobold's abdomen. Greasy smoke billows forth.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)
>
Cast Round Time in effect: Setting stance to guarded.

Jonty
01-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Yeah, my empath swings, casts, and bolts. I bolt for fun, 111 can be pretty nice sometimes.

I was wondering if her DS in defensive/guarded would have problems if I only .5x trained her in shield.

Xcalibur
01-15-2004, 07:42 PM
I could throw my 2 cents in this:

If you want to swing, don't bolt, you got 302.
If you want to bolt, don't swing, you still got 302.

Skip ohe and get a 2 handed or pole arm. Pole arm give you some extra defense and you're able to trip. Killing stuff with an ohe is VERY time consuming.

Kitsun
01-15-2004, 07:43 PM
Actually the bolting thing would also depend if she's smite or bane too. Baners get to use 306 on undead. 111 works decently against a variety of things.

Shoving the 10 points into Wisdom could be good. If your NOT bolting, you don't need the DEX that high. I would worry about what that low an INF bonus will do once mental CS/TD's are implemented.

Kitsun
01-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Defense in guard is like never a problem. My runestaff user grabbed a shield and with NO shield training. His DS was about the same as with a runestaff. HEH.

Sean
01-15-2004, 07:45 PM
i doubt it would be too terrible but youd have to run the numbers. at 1x i have no problems with my DS. at .5x i think if i didnt hunt in off id have no problems either.

Jonty
01-15-2004, 07:52 PM
Elves have a good bonus for INF, I'm not going to worry about since it's not here anyway.

I think I'll ask her about going a two-handed, pole arm, or ranged path, since OHEs without hiding and ambushing are wet noodles now.

Snapp
01-15-2004, 08:00 PM
My cleric personally uses a ranged weapon and has fine defense. I usually cast to hunt, the bow is more for RP.

Jonty
01-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Converting to worship Charl would give her bane right?

[Edited on 1-16-2004 by Jonty]

Snapp
01-16-2004, 09:00 PM
I think Charl gives you smite. Not 100% though, but Charl is with Liabo right?

MrThorbizzle
01-16-2004, 09:08 PM
charl is the one "good" arkati that gives bane, fash'lo'nae is the one "evil" one that gives smite

Jonty
10-23-2011, 07:09 PM
I would worry about what that low an INF bonus will do once mental CS/TD's are implemented.

Keep worrying. :lol:

/necromancy