PDA

View Full Version : new ranger

Jaxar2
08-13-2008, 07:27 PM
what is a good ranger build for casting primary and not melee. stats, eq, race etc.

BriarFox
08-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Rangers aren't meant to be primary spell casters. You can pull it off at 70+ as a thornsorc, with a lot of mana, but it's not really all that effective. I don't recommend it.

AKOE!
08-15-2008, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't try it either.

Joxar
08-15-2008, 11:15 PM
what do people recommend then bow and arrow user or just sord and bored?

GSKynthelig
08-16-2008, 01:21 AM
I am enjoying my archer build myself but I have decided to join Voln now so have brawling and not doing a hide/stalk. I just like being able to hit things that are puncture proof.

The Archer
08-17-2008, 08:39 AM
I believe a well trained Ranger/Archer is probably one of the strongest, most well rounded classes in the game. Leave the sniping to the rogues. I've been wantin to play around with an archer that is also two handed as a backup for those pesky puncture resistant critters, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. A spell wielding ranger is "possible", but I don't know how survivable it would be. With rangers only being able to single in spell aiming I would think using wands is mostly out of the question, especially later in life. So that would leave you with spike, fury, unbalance, and fire spirit. All rather mana intensive.

I think what you are looking for is a sort of "druid" build. If I were to go that route (which I doubt I would) I'd go two handed and carry a quarterstaff, but keep in mind they don't hit the greatest.

graysun
08-18-2008, 07:00 PM
I was able to hunt almost exclusively using spikethorn in the Black Forest outside Maaghara for several levels, but that's about the only area so far that I've been able to do it. It required the societal ability to convert spirit to mana, and meant going back out to hunt after resting down to "becoming numb".

It is very helpful to have some sort of weapon skill in order to save the final 16 or 32 mana it takes to finish a creature off, after it has been spiked almost-to-death.

I'd say it may be possible at higher levels, but definitely comes with severe limitations on where you'll be able to hunt.

Most of the posts I have read about people trying this method with fixskills or in beta testing tend to say it's not really viable.

droit
08-18-2008, 10:14 PM
It's viable, but only at or past cap. Odysia is a pure ranger in the temple, and I can go pure if I need to, using sigil of power and a bunch of stamina enhancives. It works pretty well with 71 ranger ranks.

SHAFT
08-18-2008, 10:56 PM
I had a lot of fun with my ranger using THW's from hiding, ambushing legs and skulls. I think rangers make better ambushera than rogues. Sword and board is so weak and ranged never really did anything for me. Unless you get a sweet dagger or shortsword I don't see the point in sword and board.

TheLastShamurai
08-20-2008, 05:53 PM
depends on how you use said sword and said board.

works very well for me and allows a lot of points left over for other skills.

Drew
08-20-2008, 06:09 PM
My ranger is a THW hide and ambusher, but if you want to make the most powerful ranger archer is the best choice. Everything else can be done but poles, thrown, and pure castings are much tougher than the rest.