PDA

View Full Version : Monk info

Belnia
08-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Monks will be squares.

Inherent ASG based on level and transformation lore.

radamanthys
08-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Interesting. There's not gonna be a monk spell list? Oh, other thread with MnM's on it.

I can't think of how they'd implement that... hm.

Fallen
08-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I SAID there wasn't going to be a monk list.

Renian
08-09-2008, 02:26 PM
If it's MnM and MnE, that'd be cool.

Actually, that'd be nuts at cap. Maybe. But elemental targeting is pimp.

Makkah
08-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Well people bitched and bitched about wanting them squares. There you go. Wonder if this means mad monk-only CMan now?

Bobmuhthol
08-09-2008, 02:30 PM
<<Monks will be squares.

Inherent ASG based on level and transformation lore.>>

Can't wait to see how they handle redux without armor use...

radamanthys
08-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Probably same kinda thing as DS from a runestaff.

Khariz
08-09-2008, 02:36 PM
If it's MnM and MnE, that'd be cool.

Actually, that'd be nuts at cap. Maybe. But elemental targeting is pimp.

You misunderstand what a square is?

Makkah
08-09-2008, 02:38 PM
You misunderstand what a square is?

I used to know a couple warriors with 425+

Khariz
08-09-2008, 02:39 PM

Oh, so he means purposely training a monk to know spells for rediculous TP costs, despite the design intention? Gotcha.

Bobmuhthol
08-09-2008, 02:40 PM
So many squares have spells, wtf is wrong with you?

Snapp
08-09-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm betting spell costs will be more comparable to a rogue's, rather than a warrior's.

Khariz
08-09-2008, 02:44 PM
So many squares have spells, wtf is wrong with you?

So many squares have 425? I've met maybe 10 personally, and know of maybe another 10. It's pretty stupid unless you are an e-wave and ambush rogue too. That's just my opinion of course.

Bobmuhthol
08-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Considering the number of high-level squares there are, you knowing 20 that have 425 is not a small amount.

Makkah
08-09-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm betting spell costs will be more comparable to a rogue's, rather than a warrior's.

I hear they'll be a bit lower than rogues in spell costs.

Khariz
08-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Considering the number of high-level squares there are, you knowing 20 that have 425 is not a small amount.

Dude, that's how many I've met over 13 years of playing this damn game. half of them don't play any more. It's not smart. The extra AS a square gains from 425 makes no sense to have at cap. There's no difference between a 575 AS and a 600 AS on current generation mobs. They are easy enough if you can clear 500.

Give it up man, you aren't making good points.

Stretch
08-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Dude, that's how many I've met over 13 years of playing this damn game. half of them don't play any more. It's not smart. The extra AS a square gains from 425 makes no sense to have at cap. There's no difference between a 575 AS and a 600 AS on current generation mobs. They are easy enough if you can clear 500.

Most of the post cap rogues with spells get them for the DS / TD benefit, not just the AS boost from 425. Not everyone walks around spelled to the hilt and carrying 400m in gear.

Spell rogues aren't very common until late in the game though. I'm curious to see what the monk training plan calls for; if it's 0.5x in spells, I'd be somewhat surprised that they can still call that a square.

Bobmuhthol
08-09-2008, 02:51 PM
<<Give it up man, you aren't making good points.>>

I'm not even giving any persuasive points. I'm stating objective facts. Why are you turning this into an argument where there's somehow a winner when I'm not participating?

Renian
08-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Oh, it makes perfect sense as an archer, which generally have sub-par AS. Especially against shit with shields. I ditched a good chunk of my cman ranks and all of my hiding to get 425. Best decision I've ever made for a fixskill. Shit just DROPS, and I lol at Ithzir Adept wizard shield.

Borismere
08-09-2008, 10:42 PM
I just want speed with a monk... speed speed speed Kill one thing bash the head of the other no freaking 5 second wait time twiddling my thumbs.

Jinsem
08-09-2008, 11:30 PM

I liked going for 120 personally...

Jinsem
Always the oddity.

Renian
08-09-2008, 11:45 PM
I just want speed with a monk... speed speed speed Kill one thing bash the head of the other no freaking 5 second wait time twiddling my thumbs.

This will probably happen given the crazy speed of using your fists.

LadyLaphrael
08-10-2008, 12:14 AM
Well people bitched and bitched about wanting them squares. There you go. Wonder if this means mad monk-only CMan now?

CMan DimMak, ftw

thefarmer
08-10-2008, 12:18 AM
CMan DimMak, ftw

Can you imagine the kind of groin kick monks would have?

Stretch
08-10-2008, 12:19 AM
CMan DimMak, ftw

Holy shit, a Bloodsport reference.

Plz marry me.

Drunken Durfin
08-10-2008, 11:37 AM

It will make a difference when the 130 area opens. I figure by the time it opens I should have made 12mil exp (heh). Durfin's AS is way nuts right now, but I fully intend to train him up to 120 and 430 (yay +15 TD). Yeah, it is a lot of points, but what else are you going to do with them?

Fallen
08-10-2008, 12:45 PM
If I were to take a square to cap, I would likely be one of the more magical ones out there, be it warrior or rogue. Squares when spell tanked are damn near impossible to kill. A rogue not taking advantage of the lower spell costs better have a damn good reason as to why not.

BigWorm
08-10-2008, 03:36 PM
It will make a difference when the 130 area opens. I figure by the time it opens I should have made 12mil exp (heh). Durfin's AS is way nuts right now, but I fully intend to train him up to 120 and 430 (yay +15 TD). Yeah, it is a lot of points, but what else are you going to do with them?

The 130 area is now the 110 area. There are so many level checks that it takes to make a 30 level difference balanced so a 130 area is pretty far off. There's a thread on it here (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=34879&highlight=belnia+rift).

Borismere
08-10-2008, 03:39 PM
I predict monks will have different schools of training for different styles/moves. Also, they probably won't tap the CMAN list as much as warriors and rogues and rather tap the unarmed combat "list" of moves/combos more. If these things come to pass, Simu has succeeded with monks and unarmed combat.

Makkah
08-10-2008, 04:09 PM
I predict monks will have different schools of training for different styles/moves. Also, they probably won't tap the CMAN list as much as warriors and rogues and rather tap the unarmed combat "list" of moves/combos more. If these things come to pass, Simu has succeeded with monks and unarmed combat.

Yea, I think that's the general opinion.

Fallen
08-10-2008, 04:47 PM
The 130 area is now the 110 area. There are so many level checks that it takes to make a 30 level difference balanced so a 130 area is pretty far off. There's a thread on it here (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=34879&highlight=belnia+rift).

Did they actually state that they wont be doing the 130 area because of the 110 area? That is disappointing as hell. The Rift is just about the one place I cannot stand going to in this game.

Borismere
08-10-2008, 05:29 PM
They should just start making run bosses. Like Onyxia, level 300 boss, drops veil iron bars and a random super magic item.

TheLastShamurai
08-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Yea, I hate the rift too. Fucks with my haste. And I can't very well have that!

Now if the new area doesn't have the spell stripping effects, I might consider it.

Khariz
08-10-2008, 09:12 PM
I hope it does have spell stripping. I'll be happy about all the people it keeps away, so I can be a little elitist in my own sandbox.

Methais
08-10-2008, 09:25 PM
They should just start making run bosses. Like Onyxia, level 300 boss, drops veil iron bars and a random super magic item.

Which will be farmed constantly by MA armies and make them worthless.

EDIT: Unless they made them bop

Paradii
08-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Which will be farmed constantly by MA armies and make them worthless.

EDIT: Unless they made them bop

Your avatar makes me throw up a little.

Stanley Burrell
08-11-2008, 01:33 AM
Your avatar makes me throw up a little.

Firemen having to learn how to do CPR is serious business.

LadyLaphrael
08-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Holy shit, a Bloodsport reference.

Plz marry me.

It's only a Bloodsport reference if used on a stone troll, with a capped monk sitting next to you saying "Very good...but brick not hit back."

NOW it's a Bloodsport reference.

Renian
08-11-2008, 12:35 PM
The 130 area is now the 110 area.

No one ever said that the 110 area is replacing the 130 area though.

BigWorm
08-11-2008, 12:55 PM
No one ever said that the 110 area is replacing the 130 area though.

Actually it was made pretty clear at Simucon that a 130 area is not a high priority.

crb
08-11-2008, 01:16 PM
but will they be obsessive compulsive?

I will roll up a monk named Nuck Chorris and I will kill you all with roundhouse kicks.

Renian
08-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Actually it was made pretty clear at Simucon that a 130 area is not a high priority.

Seriously? Aw.

Fortunately I don't care much, I just wanted a spot on the west side to hunt. East side sucks.

Khariz
08-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Lia
It was stated that monks can be unarmored, with their "armor level" being determined by level and Lore training.

Monks will not have inherent armor. From our design standpoint, they will wear no or cloth armor and use Iron Skin (1202). Iron Skin will provide a base amount of armor equivalent protection, with Mental Lore, Transformation increasing the bonus. Monks will also receive an innate bonus to this spell based upon their level.

Lia
And are you still considering switching rogues to MnM instead of MnS?

No, there is no such consideration at this time.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

Borismere
08-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Sigh. Why don't you people at Simucon ask Pertinent and important to the point questions like...

1.) Unarmed combat system - how many different moves? Whats the general idea behind it?

2.) Monks - What kind of cool things can they do? What would make me want to play one?

3.) Can you give us for the general type and feel of the critters that will be level 110?

Borismere
08-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Oh and how they will resolve cloth armor ET bonus and any other ET bonuses what about crit padding? etc. etc. Damn, there should have been a thread about questions for Simucon people... in fact thats a freakin fantastic idea.

Khariz
08-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Sigh. Why don't you people at Simucon ask Pertinent and important to the point questions like...

1.) Unarmed combat system - how many different moves? Whats the general idea behind it?

2.) Monks - What kind of cool things can they do? What would make me want to play one?

3.) Can you give us for the general type and feel of the critters that will be level 110?

They don't answer questions. They just tell you what they feel like telling you and leave you in the dark about the rest. There's been more post-con release info doled on the officials by people asking questions like the above than at the con itself.

Go ask these on the officials!

Khariz
08-11-2008, 02:43 PM
>>It was stated that monks can be unarmored, with their "armor level" being determined by level and Lore training. Traditionally, squares have redux and high AsG armor instead of massive DS. Does this mean that high level Monks can have skin that's the equivalent of chain hauberk or even plate, with 0 spell hindrance? Would 1202 make this even more powerful?

1202 is what's giving them the ability in the first place. It's not innate. Iron Skin will harden the caster's skin and make it act as AsG 6 (full leather) as a base. This base increases with Monk level and Transformation lore (on separate seeds, so the increases are front-loaded). Chain AsGs will be possible, but I'm not sure about plates. Monks that 1x transformation lore will have a higher possible AsG with Iron Skin than non-Monks that 2x. I'm not sure what was decided with spell hindrance and Iron Skin, but my guess is it won't cause it.

Monks will also have redux available, and will also be expected to gain a little DS through spells.

>>And are you still considering switching rogues to MnM instead of MnS?

As far as I know, there aren't any plans for it to happen. Many of the spells on the MnM list are designed considering that Monks will be the only square with access, and I don't think it would make much sense to have a square be the only class able to imbed MnM spells. In the end, it's to the Rogue team, GMs Ildran, Coase and Warden, though.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team

Borismere
08-11-2008, 03:32 PM
>>It was stated that monks can be unarmored, with their "armor level" being determined by level and Lore training. Traditionally, squares have redux and high AsG armor instead of massive DS. Does this mean that high level Monks can have skin that's the equivalent of chain hauberk or even plate, with 0 spell hindrance? Would 1202 make this even more powerful?

1202 is what's giving them the ability in the first place. It's not innate. Iron Skin will harden the caster's skin and make it act as AsG 6 (full leather) as a base. This base increases with Monk level and Transformation lore (on separate seeds, so the increases are front-loaded). Chain AsGs will be possible, but I'm not sure about plates. Monks that 1x transformation lore will have a higher possible AsG with Iron Skin than non-Monks that 2x. I'm not sure what was decided with spell hindrance and Iron Skin, but my guess is it won't cause it.

Monks will also have redux available, and will also be expected to gain a little DS through spells.

>>And are you still considering switching rogues to MnM instead of MnS?

As far as I know, there aren't any plans for it to happen. Many of the spells on the MnM list are designed considering that Monks will be the only square with access, and I don't think it would make much sense to have a square be the only class able to imbed MnM spells. In the end, it's to the Rogue team, GMs Ildran, Coase and Warden, though.

= - GM Oscuro - =

Cleric/Empath Team

Thanks for the updates Khariz.

Hmm, I'm starting to smell MASSIVE suckage on part of monks now. They will only get to chain so they'll essentially be missing out on 99% of the power of squares : the ability to fight in plate. They'll be "expected to gain a little DS through spells." ...

So crap DS + NO plate = Warden's Special: Nerfage of Suck.

Ah well... sometimes the wait is better then the result.

Renian
08-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Chain sure, but no spell hindrance or armor weight. Also, if they can easily learn spells, they will have an advantage most squares don't: TD from 120, much earlier on.

Borismere
08-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Chain sure, but no spell hindrance or armor weight. Also, if they can easily learn spells, they will have an advantage most squares don't: TD from 120, much earlier on.

Much of that is meaningless. You get TD loss for not wearing magical plate. And total ownage by nearly all physical attacks for not wearing plate.

Plus, monks will lose the +50 DS bonus because they won't be able to wear the actual armor armor and just the spell which heightens the AsG.

Overall, I have a bad feeling about this. Most of the GM's don't really feel enthusiastic about monks imho. Plus, they have deep biases because their own characters are of different classes and thus don't want this new up and comer class to outshine them.

Unfortunately, Squares just get beaten down by magic faerie I love glitz GMs. Thats just a rule in GS.

Danical
08-11-2008, 04:15 PM

Worn Armor Weight does not affect encumbrance unless it's lighter or heavier than normal.

The NO Hindrance part isn't particularly exciting since they don't really have many set up spells it doesn't look like. :(

Although (1207 Force Projection Single target knockdown. Not warding based. "Single target ewave.")

You can fucking bet Monks will be pretty fucking rad at defending against maneuvers with no actual armor maneuver penalty but effective AsG since they [can] get 1220.

I'm going to bet the effective AsG will carry with it the AvD and CvA benefits of the armor it proxies.

I'm also willing to bet monks will be able to 3x dodge relatively easily thus being in chain only isn't really a big deal.

If they can also get a bit of DS via spells, then they'll have plenty of DS and Damage Reduction.

Borismere
08-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Worn Armor Weight does not affect encumbrance unless it's lighter or heavier than normal.

The NO Hindrance part isn't particularly exciting since they don't really have many set up spells it doesn't look like. :(

Although (1207 Force Projection Single target knockdown. Not warding based. "Single target ewave.")

You can fucking bet Monks will be pretty fucking rad at defending against maneuvers with no actual armor maneuver penalty but effective AsG since they [can] get 1220.

I'm going to bet the effective AsG will carry with it the AvD and CvA benefits of the armor it proxies.

I'm also willing to bet monks will be able to 3x dodge relatively easily thus being in chain only isn't really a big deal.

If they can also get a bit of DS via spells, then they'll have plenty of DS and Damage Reduction.

Lets hope so.

But the general overall GS trend, is a consistent nerfing from olden times. I know several GMs that are salivating to nerf a few systems/professions/spells. Plus, I really think most GMs have a real beef with the monk profession for some reason, and they'll subconciously make it suck.

Danical
08-11-2008, 04:45 PM
I think you're a pessimistic person.

Some Rogue
08-11-2008, 04:57 PM
I think the screename you're posting under this time is a pessimistic person.

Fixed.

Why are people responding to this tard like he's real?

BigWorm
08-11-2008, 06:00 PM
How many alts does he have now?

Methais
08-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Can't Kranar just add a new rule to the forums? Call it the Lucos rule or something. Then ban them all.

Stretch
08-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Can't Kranar just add a new rule to the forums? Call it the Lucos rule or something. Then ban them all.

Lucos is cool.

Lucas is the Gemstone version of ClydeR.

Methais
08-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Whoops. I meant Lucas.

http://lostinthepast.shunpike.net/a/lucas/lucas013.jpg \ DO U GUSY THINK MONKS LIKE ANAL SEX?

Snapp
08-11-2008, 07:21 PM
How many alts does he have now?

A fucking lot.