PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Hatred

CrystalTears
01-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Well someone mentioned their dislike for characters who have hate, and I thought it would be interesting to start up a topic about it.

How do you feel about characters who roleplay hatred or a strong dislike?

Do you have characters that hate a certain race/profession?

Do you feel that the hatred is actually a roleplaying tool, or is used to go with the standard flow of what the "in" thing is to hate, such as halfling haters who eat them?

Talk amongst yourselves. :D

Betheny
01-08-2004, 03:34 PM
My characters hate everyone.

Betheny
01-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Oh hey, I really hate this.

>cast runestone
You gesture at a shadowy black runestone.
You trace an arcane sigil over your runestone, in an attempt to summon a demon from Shien'tyr but something goes wrong resulting in the explosion of forces beyond your control over your runestone.
... 25 points of damage!
Your arm snaps trying to prevent fall.
You are knocked to the ground!
You are stunned for 3 rounds!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
Jara turns to face you.
>
Jara walks towards you.
>
Jara nods to you.
>
Jara touches you.
>
Jara meditates over you.
Jara takes your nervous system damage.
>
Jara meditates over you.
Jara takes your left arm damage.
>
Jara meditates over you.
Jara takes all of your blood loss.
>
Jara murmurs a simple, mystical chant...
>
Jara concentrates.
Jara looks a little better.
>blink
You blink.
>
Jara nods to you.
>
Jara tries to pull you to your feet, but you are too heavy.
>
Jara pulls you to your feet.

I dont know this person, nor did I ask for healing.

HarmNone
01-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Under the right circumstances, any character could harbor an intense hatred for another race, or for an individual or profession. A follower of a diety of Liabo could despise all those affiliated with one of Lornon. Such things make sense, to me, from a roleplaying perspective.

What always irked me were those people who expressed hatred for another character and, when asked why, would respond with something like: "He/she goes to SimuCon every year, so the GMs are always on his/her side." If there is no in-game reason for roleplaying hatred it just comes off as silly, as far as I am concerned.

HarmNone

Mint
01-08-2004, 03:59 PM
When I first starting playing GS I was hard pressed to understand why people RP'd nasty characters. There will always be people who are nasty in game because they are that way in real life and play their characters in a petty and spiteful manner. But the people that do it for RP purposes make the game enjoyable. I had never been involved in a RP environment and it was kind of hard not to take things said or done to my character personally. My feelings were hurt a few times but I talked to a few people in game and, thanks to them, I started to get it.

I play a young giant empath and I made the mistake of healing a dark elf without permission once. Yes ignorant I know. Instead of falling on his knees and thanking me gratefully he was wickedly insulting (with justification) and had I understood RP'ing better at the time I could have had a really interesting time with this guy because he obviously DID 'get it'. My loss. Live and learn.

Edited for clarification

[Edited on 1-9-2004 by Mint]

AnticorRifling
01-08-2004, 04:04 PM
My dwarf is just grumpy, my rogue is basically always looking for a fight(even if he gets his ass handed to him it's still fun to stir the pot, and I play Anticor as the big friendly, helpful giantman with a wicked streak towards people that cross him and those he cares about.

I don't have any that I play as evil though.

AnticorRifling
01-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Maimara

Not true, she wants me. :cool:

Betheny
01-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling

Originally posted by Maimara

Not true, she wants me. :cool:

Somehow I doubt that.

Bobmuhthol
01-08-2004, 04:08 PM
<--- hates idiots. Feels good about it.

Miss X
01-08-2004, 05:22 PM
My cleric won't raise anyone who worships a God of Lornon, and she hates anyone who worships Luukos and will usually try and give them a good talking to about the merits of Voln.
Chica isn't the type to hate people, she plays around tormenting Dhe'nar but its never really serious. I guess the only thing she really hates is demons (shes a paradis halfling, and her family were torn apart due to demons) she's very wary of sorcerers for that reason.
Vx

DeV
01-08-2004, 06:02 PM
There will always be people who are nasty in game because they are that way in real life

That is so true..especially if you are having too much fun with it I wonder...what kinda sicko are you they in real life?

I think that the hatred of other races in game is just apart of the game.. more so now then it was years ago because I now think its become the "in" thing to hate other races for whatever reason and its the "cool" thing to do. You just didnt see this years ago too much.. the envoironment was more relaxed... Though the really good roleplayers that have a reason, a background, a history of why they dislike.. its much easier to take them being an asshole if thats what they roleplay.

just my 2 cents.

Mistomeer
01-08-2004, 06:24 PM
I don't have a problem with roleplaying hatred or evil characters. I get annoyed by those that do it and then wonder why people don't like them. You roleplay someone evil or someone that hates everyone, then you bitch and whine about how people aren't nice to you. WTF is that all about? If you want people to be nice to you, roll up an empath, keep a warm demeanor, and be nice..chances are you'll have few enemies. If you go around helping an invading force during an invasion, getting people killed, being evil in general, don't bitch when people aren't nice to you. All that would seem obvious, but some people are stupid.

Artha
01-08-2004, 06:26 PM
My character looks down on them, but there's no real hatred. More of a pity thing, really.

He doesn't have a problem with empaths, as long as they're reasonably obedient and not too lippy.

Vixen
01-08-2004, 06:50 PM
I've never had a problem with people who hate. I've come across plenty of people who hate and act accordingly, and if they have a well thought out, roleplayed reason, I usually enjoy the encounter as a player.
Its the people who usually just want to be a dick that make me nuts. I've been fortunate enough to meet some very good racially biased people who's hate was very well portrayed.
My empath pretty much likes anyone, though frowns on rolton killers.
And Kasia 'loves' everyone, so I have no characters of my own that hate.

Betheny
01-08-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by DarkelfVold
That is so true..especially if you are having too much fun with it I wonder...what kinda sicko are you they in real life?

I'm a real sicko.

Really, really sick.

Worse than pathological liars and government employees, even.

not.

Zeyrin
01-08-2004, 08:19 PM
I hate everyone equally one minute and turn around only to help them out next. I guess my dwarf has multiple personalities.

Anebriated
01-08-2004, 09:07 PM
My Dhe'nar hates everyone except Dhe'nar and Khanshael, but thats the whole reason i rolled him up. It was getting boring being friendly with everyone as Elrodin...

Im not racist, i hate everyone equally...

[Edited on 1-9-2004 by Elrodin]

Betheny
01-08-2004, 09:15 PM
it's Kanshael.

Anebriated
01-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Name: Valir Envium
Profession: Sacristan
Race: Dwarf Gender: Male
Clan: Khanshael

GSLeloo
01-08-2004, 09:52 PM
Um... isn't it all just roleplay? I mean to the person who said that they play a hateful character IG because they are hateful iRL does that mean that how everyone plays their character is a portrayal of how they are iRL? Roleplaying is acting, essentially, and it's just how you choose you want your character to be.

Mint
01-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by GSLeloo
Um... isn't it all just roleplay? I mean to the person who said that they play a hateful character IG because they are hateful iRL does that mean that how everyone plays their character is a portrayal of how they are iRL? Roleplaying is acting, essentially, and it's just how you choose you want your character to be.

I am not certain which post you are referring to here but I did edit my post for clarification purposes. I DO enjoy a person in game that is able to pull off a hateful character well, and did not intend my post to infer that I thought all hateful characters were hateful in RL.

StrayRogue
01-08-2004, 11:15 PM
I RP evil people because I am really evil in reality? Um no. I RP evil or nasty because I like the chance to do something, to be someone I am NOT in reality. I do it because its a challenge and it because its fun and because 90% of the people in GS RP themselves, obviously just like the idiot whom posted this blanket statement about "nasty characters always being played by nasty people".

I'm just like Bob: I don't tolerate fools, attention seekers or moaners.

Mint
01-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
I RP evil people because I am really evil in reality? Um no. I RP evil or nasty because I like the chance to do something, to be someone I am NOT in reality. I do it because its a challenge and it because its fun and because 90% of the people in GS RP themselves, obviously just like the idiot whom posted this blanket statement about "nasty characters always being played by nasty people".

I'm just like Bob: I don't tolerate fools, attention seekers or moaners.

Oh for pete's sake READ the original post I said: There will always be people who play nasty characters because they are nasty in real life NOT that all people who play nasty characters ARE nasty. Get it straight.

Fallen
01-09-2004, 08:48 AM
I also played a Dhe'nari character, though their roleplaying is based more on blind racism than hate. The true Dhe'nar harbors no emotion whatsoever towards those of the lesser races. He sees each pakr'ae (non-Dhe'nar) as nothing more than an animal or at best, potential resource.

That being said my Dhe'nar had an irrational hate for nearly everything not of the First Born. He knew he was flawed, and so hated himself as well.

I played a character like this because oftentimes in life you are forced by way of moral or ethical restraints to act atleast civil with all those you deal with on a daily basis. Though some are able to act just as hateful as the most villainous characters portrayed in Gemstone, others feel an emotional obligation against such actions.

With my Dhe'nar there are no restraints, I can fully immerse myself in these negative emotions with absolutely no sense of guilt laid upon my conscious.

DeV
01-09-2004, 10:27 AM
In reference to Fallen: I can respect that completely. I play my Dhe'nar the same way really.. its all a general feeling of friendly contempt toward all races, even my own race at times.

Roleplaying is acting, essentially, and it's just how you choose you want your character to be.

Roleplaying is acting, but you are ALWAYS going to put a little, even its if its a miniscule amount of yourself into the role. If you don't, then its easy to lose your own sense of self in a game or reality...

Latrinsorm
01-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Hey, can someone tell me why the Dhe'nar use so many apostrophes? It's irksome... to my character who hates Dhe'nar! Right back on topic.

"Justin Timberlake is so cool!"

DeV
01-09-2004, 02:01 PM
My Dhe'nar doesn't...

example's?

Latrinsorm
01-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Dhe'nar, Pakr'ae, that greeting/farewell thing they do has a few, I think.

It just seems like there's way too many (more than 0) in the Dhe'nar language to a casual observer.

Shari
01-09-2004, 02:29 PM
I figure if you can stay IC while portraying a person full of hate, fine by me. It certainly makes for a fun/interesting rp situation. There are people that I dislike in the game for ooc reasons and just to keep me from mixing my ic frustrations with ooc, I tend to just ignore them.

However, if it's IC Jesae always strives to piss these people off a bit more, simply for the amusement of watching them spaz out or get into extremely heated debates. Strangely though, none of these angry people has ever squished her to a pulp, for which I am greatful. Guess I'll have to be more consious of that now that I rerolled her into a bard last night.

Yay for rats!

DeV
01-09-2004, 02:50 PM
oh.. those apostrophe's! Those words are true Dhe'nar terms that some very strict Dhe'nar roleplayers use. They also go hand in hand with the Obsidian Tower. Kinda like why drarves get all the different ways to grunt. Those terms are apart of Dhe'nar culture.

Fallen
01-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Know that when you insult Dhe'nar-si, you insult the origins the the elven language. We are not known as the First Born for nothing.

Other Elven names contain apostrophes as well.

Ta'Faendryl, Ta'Illistim, ect

[Edited on 1-10-2004 by Fallen]