PDA

View Full Version : Bennigan's

Numbers
07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Filed for bankruptcy today.

Where the FUCK am I gonna get my Monte Crisco's now!?

NocturnalRob
07-29-2008, 05:42 PM
any of the other countless, mediocre restaurants that are still limping along?

on second thought, make it your damn self:

http://www.recipezaar.com/8695

Allereli
07-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I hope TGI Friday's will go next

NocturnalRob
07-29-2008, 06:28 PM
and Applebee's

Skeeter
07-29-2008, 06:38 PM
I expect the locals to go first. Food prices have really increased.

Tsa`ah
07-29-2008, 06:42 PM
I expect the locals to go first. Food prices have really increased.

I wouldn't bank on that. Franchised establishments have their hands tied when it comes to who supplies them and what they can serve. If the local has been around for a few years ... they'll still be around as they pick up customers from closing box brands and exercise their freedom to shop around.

Parkbandit
07-29-2008, 07:11 PM

/agree

I hate that 'restaurant'. They heat frozen shit up and try to pass it off as food.

Warriorbird
07-29-2008, 07:15 PM
A lot of local places can also take advantage of the local grown/organic boom.

Back
07-29-2008, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't bank on that. Franchised establishments have their hands tied when it comes to who supplies them and what they can serve. If the local has been around for a few years ... they'll still be around as they pick up customers from closing box brands and exercise their freedom to shop around.

Good point. Locals can “shop” distributors.

Anyway, no big loss here. But its an indication that chains or “big box” companies are feeling a crunch. Starbucks, for example, has closed many stores and last I heard laid-off 12k employees (not all in the US).

Back
07-29-2008, 07:33 PM

I lived in LA when TGI was still a local. The concept really took off. Fun atmosphere, decent food, affordable and casual. I left LA in 95 and I don’t recall having set foot in one until last week. They opened a new location along my route to work. It was good to see they still had the same nachos as I remember back in the day. Except they had no jalapenos because of the salmonella scare. Damn salmonella screwing with my nachos!

SHAFT
07-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Bennigans is garbage. Fridays is garbage. Applebee's is garbage. Chili's I don't mind so much for some reason. I'm ok with Chili's.

Drew
07-29-2008, 08:22 PM
But now where will Butters eat?

kookiegod
07-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Starbuck's was a victim of its own success, and then did what McDonald's did in the mid 80s, they got away from what made them successful (McPizza anyone?).

What went wrong at Starbucks? To invoke the venerable business cliche, they didn't stick to their knitting. (Tom Peters!) Their core business was overcharging consumers for coffee, and a very lucrative business it was. Then they started selling dreamy CDs, and the company even helped produce a movie, "Akilah and the Bee," that bombed at the box office. Howard Schultz (founder, first CEO) bought a basketball team and started hanging out with Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney, the usual recipe for business disaster. He left as CEO several years ago.

Schultz was brought back in as CEO, and they got rid of the breakfast sandwich line, they introduced a new, lower priced coffee Pike Place (to compete with Dunkin Donuts), and reigned in expansion and closed underperforming stores. They even took the unusual step of closing ALL stores for a morning to retrain everyone on the basics.

Starbucks will likely survive and I expect their stock to climb again in a year or two, assuming they can get back to their basics and expand in their vertical market.

As far as other food industries, those that are most nimble and will work with their vendors AND the consumers will survive. Those that try to fork over (pun intended) their customers, well, they will have issues.

Case in point, yes, I know food costs are way up, but I ordered from my favorite delivery company the other day a few orders of Uno's buffalo tenders, a soup, and two sandwiches (dinner and two lunches), and my buffalo tender order which used to be 10-12 big ones were like 7 each. Same price though. I'll skip ordering from them next time, chicken hasn't gone up that much.

Meanwhile, as oil prices continue to fall, and the stock market is looking better and better, look for a bit of a bounce in the coming weeks.

~Paul

SHAFT
07-29-2008, 08:54 PM
The big question is, who in the fucking hell is going to pay $4 or $5 dollars for a fucking cup of motherfucking coffee? That's the real question you have to ask yourself. You have to look deep inside.

Kuyuk
07-29-2008, 09:26 PM
I like starbucks.

I pay the extra money, they're one of the only coffee places that carry soymilk.

Especially in the south, in the north, a lot more carry it.

K.

Tea & Strumpets
07-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Starbuck's was a victim of its own success, and then did what McDonald's did in the mid 80s, they got away from what made them successful (McPizza anyone?).

What went wrong at Starbucks? To invoke the venerable business cliche, they didn't stick to their knitting. (Tom Peters!) Their core business was overcharging consumers for coffee, and a very lucrative business it was. Then they started selling dreamy CDs, and the company even helped produce a movie, "Akilah and the Bee," that bombed at the box office. Howard Schultz (founder, first CEO) bought a basketball team and started hanging out with Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney, the usual recipe for business disaster. He left as CEO several years ago.

Schultz was brought back in as CEO, and they got rid of the breakfast sandwich line, they introduced a new, lower priced coffee Pike Place (to compete with Dunkin Donuts), and reigned in expansion and closed underperforming stores. They even took the unusual step of closing ALL stores for a morning to retrain everyone on the basics.

Starbucks will likely survive and I expect their stock to climb again in a year or two, assuming they can get back to their basics and expand in their vertical market.

As far as other food industries, those that are most nimble and will work with their vendors AND the consumers will survive. Those that try to fork over (pun intended) their customers, well, they will have issues.

Case in point, yes, I know food costs are way up, but I ordered from my favorite delivery company the other day a few orders of Uno's buffalo tenders, a soup, and two sandwiches (dinner and two lunches), and my buffalo tender order which used to be 10-12 big ones were like 7 each. Same price though. I'll skip ordering from them next time, chicken hasn't gone up that much.

Meanwhile, as oil prices continue to fall, and the stock market is looking better and better, look for a bit of a bounce in the coming weeks.

~Paul

What a load of bullshit. Everyone knows that Starbucks is "secretly" run by Number 2.

Skeeter
07-29-2008, 09:30 PM
I've never been to a starbucks. Although in Prague at the begging of my wife we did eat at a Fridays. It was almost surreal.

Back
07-29-2008, 09:32 PM
What a load of bullshit. Everyone knows that Starbucks is "secretly" run by Number 2.

If that is a “Prisoner” reference you gain +2000 cool points.

SayGoodbye
07-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Starbucks is only expensive if you get a latte or some shit. If you order regular old coffee, or flavored coffee it's only a couple bucks and tastes a hell of a lot better than Dunkin's. Blasphemy, I know.

Tea & Strumpets
07-29-2008, 09:38 PM
If that is a “Prisoner” reference you gain +2000 cool points.

Keep your points, everyone knows Number 2 is Dr. Evil's second in command. Is it "evil" coffee?

Allereli
07-29-2008, 09:39 PM
I've never been to a starbucks. Although in Prague at the begging of my wife we did eat at a Fridays. It was almost surreal.

Actually the Friday's in Prague has a great drink menu

Back
07-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Keep your points, everyone knows Number 2 is Dr. Evil's second in command. Is it "evil" coffee?

Ok, the Dr. Evil reference is at least worth +1000.

kookiegod
07-29-2008, 09:41 PM

Heh, I hope its a Prisoner reference, else I'm sure the SEC would love to hear any evidence to any collusion with Dunkin' Donuts, but considering most Starbucks stockholders and insiders lost a boatload in the last 3 years, I sort of doubt it.

~Paul

SHAFT
07-29-2008, 10:03 PM
I used to drink Starbucks. I never really liked it so I can't explain why I did. I'd rather pay 3.50 for a 12 oz Red Bull than a shitty Starbucks coffee. Even the coffee from 7-11 tastes better than Starbucks.

But nothing beats a Jack and Diet at 8 am. Mmmmmmmm, yummy.

Furrowfoot
07-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Starbucks is only expensive if you get a latte or some shit. If you order regular old coffee, or flavored coffee it's only a couple bucks and tastes a hell of a lot better than Dunkin's. Blasphemy, I know.

It's better than Dunkin's, definitely - maybe it's just because I put nothing in my coffee, but I can barely tolerate Starbucks coffee in general - they put all the flavors and crap into it to cover up how much the actual coffee sucks.

I wouldn't trade my Keurig brewer or my Green Mountain k-cups for anything now - the thing goes with me on vacations (if I'm driving).

TheRunt
07-30-2008, 02:16 AM
I used to drink Starbucks. I never really liked it so I can't explain why I did. I'd rather pay 3.50 for a 12 oz Red Bull than a shitty Starbucks coffee. Even the coffee from 7-11 tastes better than Starbucks.

But nothing beats a Jack and Diet at 8 am. Mmmmmmmm, yummy.

7-11 makes a pretty darn good cup of coffee. Not quite as strong as starbucks but pretty good. Dunkin donuts has good coffee but they don't brew it as strong as I like it.

TheRunt
07-30-2008, 02:22 AM
The big question is, who in the fucking hell is going to pay $4 or $5 dollars for a fucking cup of motherfucking coffee? That's the real question you have to ask yourself. You have to look deep inside.

I hate to say it but I've paid 8-10 for a cup of joe. But then again I've gotten a deal. I point to the large cup and say how much to fill that up with espresso? Usually they say.. What??? Then they give me a price. But even 8-10 is cheap when you figure what they normally charge which is 2.50 for a double then 1-1.25 for each additional shot. When its a 20oz cup. Should be about $20 on the low side.

But back on topic all the nationwide chains can burn in hell as far as I'm concerned. I just went on a trip to KC MO and the people that I went with and meet there all wanted to hit the chains. Pizza Hut, Whatever Steakhouse (there all the same) and such. I wanted to get real food. My wife on the way there basically made me stop at cracker barrel rather than a mom and pop shop. I finally put my foot down and had real food. Yes it was a "chain" theres six of them in MO. But the one I wanted to go to they wouldn't. It was in too bad a neighborhood. And I hate to say it but damn that brisket was way and I mean way better than mine. And I thought mine was good. You'll never get anything like that at a nationwide chain.

Stunseed
07-30-2008, 02:23 AM
< Yes it was a "chain" theres six of them in MO. But the one I wanted to go to they wouldn't. It was in too bad a neighborhood. And I hate to say it but damn that brisket was way and I mean way better than mine. And I thought mine was good. You'll never get anything like that at a nationwide chain. >

That the bbq joint that looks kinda shoddy but is like groin-grabbingly good? I faintly remember someone telling me there's a place like that in KC.

TheRunt
07-30-2008, 02:44 AM
< Yes it was a "chain" theres six of them in MO. But the one I wanted to go to they wouldn't. It was in too bad a neighborhood. And I hate to say it but damn that brisket was way and I mean way better than mine. And I thought mine was good. You'll never get anything like that at a nationwide chain. >

That the bbq joint that looks kinda shoddy but is like groin-grabbingly good? I faintly remember someone telling me there's a place like that in KC.

The one I went to was Gates the one I wanted to go to was Arthur Bryants. Which everyone who lived there told me they have good bbq but don't go there. Go to Gates there just as good. I do regret not going with my gut and going to Bryants althought Gates was the best I have tasted.

The Ponzzz
07-30-2008, 03:07 AM
Bennigan's in Syracuse filed bankruptcy about 4-5 years ago. I personally enjoyed the food there and they had a lot of live music sponsered by some irish beer that I don't enjoy.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
07-30-2008, 04:39 AM
I've never been a huge chain fan, but there are some I do like.

Friendly's, Hot Harry's Burritos, In N Out Burger, Denny's, Cosi (their tomato basil soup is addicting), and Pizza Hut are probably my top choices.

When I am drunk, there is also nothing I want more than either a hot pocket or Taco Bell. I have no clue why.

But, for the most part I like individual restaurants with their own menus and rules and stuff. It's not like I absolutely won't eat at chain places, but I'm never usually DYING to go there.

I've been to a Bennigan's once and my food was total shit. It may have been pure coincidence but every time I've tried to go back, I am instead lured to the Polynesian restaurant next door to them that makes amazing citrus duck and serves you unlimited hot tea with your meal.

waywardgs
07-30-2008, 04:59 AM

Where in Prague is there a friday's? I lived there for months, I never saw anything like that.

Gan
07-30-2008, 07:27 AM

Then its + 10,000 cool points for the Austin Powers reference.

http://vocaro.com/trevor/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/dvd-playerscreensnapz003.png

Gan
07-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Bennigans is garbage. Fridays is garbage. Applebee's is garbage. Chili's I don't mind so much for some reason. I'm ok with Chili's.

/Agreed

Gan
07-30-2008, 07:49 AM
Iconic US coffee chain Starbucks said Tuesday it would shut most of its Australian stores within a week, having already taken the axe to hundreds of US outlets as an economic downturn bites.

The company said it would shut 61 "underperforming" stores from a total 84 in Australia because it was refocusing to concentrate on the major cities of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane and surrounding areas.

"This decision will result in the closure of 61 underperforming locations throughout the country by August 3," it said without detailing how many jobs would be lost, although media reports put the figure at 685.

Starbucks said earlier in July that it would shut 600 US stores in a move widely taken to reflect the slowdown in the world's biggest economy, where high fuel prices and a credit crunch are forcing consumers to tighten their belts.

more...

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080729120748.9nkfqx41&show_article=1

Sean of the Thread
07-30-2008, 08:11 AM
MY list of sucks ass. Chili's and Cody's are recent additions after a couple real shitty ass visits.

Starbucks sucks. Bennigan's sucks. Friday's sucks. Chili's sucks. Cody's sucks. Ruby's sucks. Applebee's sucks.

Racetrack, 7/11 and Dunkin Donuts all have better coffee at a reasonable price.

SayGoodbye
07-30-2008, 08:53 AM
The problem with Dunkin's is they're all independently managed and operated, which come to think of it is probably true of Starbucks as well. The result is you'll order the same thing and get a different cup of coffee at each one.

In Massachusetts there's probably five-ten different Dunkin's within a reasonable distance from wherever you are or where you're going and yet my brother and I would STILL drive up to the one near the mall in Salem NH because they made our coffee right while the other ones didn't.

Allereli
07-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Where in Prague is there a friday's? I lived there for months, I never saw anything like that.

I was there in 2000, it was a block from the clock. I still have the matchbook actually, address: Mate namesti 2, Praha 1, tel: 24 22 12 30

Skeeter
07-30-2008, 09:09 AM
I was there in 2000, it was a block from the clock. I still have the matchbook actually, address: Mate namesti 2, Praha 1, tel: 24 22 12 30

Yeah it was close to the statue of the pig on teh diving board. This was just last year for me.

Sadly there are very few local restaurants here. Almost everything is a chain of some sort, and we pretty much have everything you could think of. We are starting to get some of the higher end chains in this area now like McCormick and Schmick, Flemming's steak house, the chop house, etc. The actual Mom & Pop's look so disgusting that I wont eat at them. Bennigan's here went out years ago due to general suckiness.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
07-30-2008, 09:12 AM
The problem with Dunkin's is they're all independently managed and operated, which come to think of it is probably true of Starbucks as well. The result is you'll order the same thing and get a different cup of coffee at each one.

In Massachusetts there's probably five-ten different Dunkin's within a reasonable distance from wherever you are or where you're going and yet my brother and I would STILL drive up to the one near the mall in Salem NH because they made our coffee right while the other ones didn't.

That would be Starbucks in WA state.

The little crappy town I grew up in had 10 Starbucks in three mile radius.

Renian
07-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Out of curiosity, wtf is with all the Applebee's hate? They make tasty steak. Or at least, tasty enough. And nachos.

Maybe Rochester, NY Applebee's aren't shitty?

CrystalTears
07-30-2008, 09:51 AM
I kinda like Applebee's. I prefer Chili's though. We just don't tend to go to chain restaurants since there are so many good local restaurants in this area.

I was never a huge fan of Bennigan's or Friday's. I did like Steak n Ale though. I heard that was part of the loss too.

Sean of the Thread
07-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Chili's just got two strikes from me in recent months. I'll go just for drinks now.

Applebee's is notoriously shit and dirty at least in this area. Good for drinks however. I still prefer the local joints and restaurants.

Skeeter
07-30-2008, 10:09 AM
The only good thing about Applebee's is this.

http://www.applebees.com/menu/images/details/AppChm_det.jpg

Parkbandit
07-30-2008, 10:13 AM

Yea.. I'm the same way. I don't know why I like Chili's, but I do. I imagine they prepare the food the same way as the other garbage chains do.. but I still enjoy it.

A good friend of mine's brother was at the Steak and Ale yesterday when he heard the news. The manager just came in and said "We're closing the store, put everything away, clean up and then we need to leave". Fucked up thing is.. I don't think they are going to get their last paycheck either.

Trouble
07-30-2008, 10:15 AM
I like Chili's and Outback mainly. Outback has been pissing me off with changing their menu to be more complicated than it needs to be.

I used to like Tuesday's but the one near me has been changing their menu too, trying to be a fancy restaurant. They need to stick with the basics IMO. I do like their salad bar though.

I haven't been to a Friday's in a year or so but I used to like them too, especially their appetizers and burgers.

I haven't been to a Bennigan's in over 10 years. I've never liked Applebee's, although I only tried them like 3 times.

Allereli
07-30-2008, 10:26 AM
My dad got serious food poisoning at the Bennigan's in Stamford, CT once. I hope something quality goes in that space, it's a great location.

Renian
07-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Applebee's is notoriously shit and dirty at least in this area.

Yeah yours just sucks.

AnticorRifling
07-30-2008, 10:47 AM
I liked the Monte Cristo aka the meat doughnut (that's what we call it anyway). But only if you get it with BBQ sauce and not the jam to dip it. Bennigans was good for the fact that they used cattleman's gold BBQ sauce, no other reason.

Sean of the Thread
07-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Yeah yours just sucks.

All of them? I'm not talking about one... I'm talking about all of them. I doubt it's a coincidence.

I'm from Rochester btw and that one is shit too. I think it's just more along the lines of you're not used to decent food. Akin to white trash that think Sizzler is a night out.

CrystalTears
07-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Or maybe some go to Applebee's not expecting much but cheap and decent food. And it is about location.

I never had a problem with Applebee's but I just prefer other restaurants more to not want to bother making the trip.

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 11:49 AM
The only one of these shit chains that I enjoy is Chili's, and I think that's just because I have a lot of good memories from there. It definitely doesn't have anything to do with their food.

BigWorm
07-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Out of curiosity, wtf is with all the Applebee's hate? They make tasty steak. Or at least, tasty enough. And nachos.

Maybe Rochester, NY Applebee's aren't shitty?

If you think Applebee's has good steak, you have no idea what good steak is like.

CrystalTears
07-30-2008, 11:54 AM
I love their southwestern eggrolls and the quesadilla explosion "salad".

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 11:59 AM
If you think Applebee's has good steak, you have no idea what good steak is like.

i am way too tired to get into a steak rant, but yeah. If you think Applebee's serves anything more than reheated, low-quality crap from hormone-injected bovine meat puppets, then you are in complete denial.

ordering steak from Applebee's and expecting something tasty is like...having unprotected sex with a street prostitute in Buenos Aires and expecting your dick not to fall off.

Renian
07-30-2008, 12:01 PM
All of them? I'm not talking about one... I'm talking about all of them. I doubt it's a coincidence.

I'm from Rochester btw and that one is shit too. I think it's just more along the lines of you're not used to decent food. Akin to white trash that think Sizzler is a night out.

Are you talking about the one on Winton? That one's fine.

They also built a new one on West Henrietta. That shit is crowded. Winton's much less crowded.

Also, notice how I said "tasty enough" about the steak. I guess I should clarify. I pour the motherfuck out of the A1 on it.

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 12:17 PM
I pour the motherfuck out of the A1 on it.

then why bother? go buy a bottle of A1 and guzzle it.

Gan
07-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Why, why, WHY would you buy a steak at a place like applebees, chilis, bennigans?

I think people's expectations about these restaurants are way off or misguided.

When I eat at Bennigans or Chilis I order what I know they can cook. Regardless of what fancy or wierd shit is on their menu. That way if there are any disappointments to be had its because of the service - not because of the food (for the most part).

Chilis is my primary destination if I'm wanting to grab a quick inexpensive meal and my local favorites arent available. Applebees food sucks period. Bennigans is so-so (monte cristo and appetizer platter are the best things going).

If I want steak, I go to a steak house. If I want seafood, I go to a seafood restaurant. Simple as that.

BigWorm
07-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Also, notice how I said "tasty enough" about the steak. I guess I should clarify. I pour the motherfuck out of the A1 on it.

case in point

Renian
07-30-2008, 12:22 PM
then why bother? go buy a bottle of A1 and guzzle it.

Best idea ever.

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Best idea ever.

better than ordering a steak from applebee's

Renian
07-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Hah.

Though to be fair, I like to have meat with the A1.

...WAIT. Eat a steak, drink the A1 ftmfw

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Hah.

Though to be fair, I like to have meat with the A1.

...WAIT. Eat a steak, drink the A1 ftmfw

done

Latrinsorm
07-30-2008, 01:04 PM
When I am drunk, there is also nothing I want more than either a hot pocket or Taco Bell.Because taco bell is f'ing awesome, that's why. :yes:

I know a guy who got steak at Friendly's. We all did our best Tabor impression.

The Ponzzz
07-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Renian, you were in Roch?! Wtf! I was there for 2 years! Applebees in Rochester was ok, but I'd rather go to Plum Gardens for Hibachi.

kookiegod
07-30-2008, 01:10 PM
RE: Steak

A good steak should stand on its own. Rare, whatever seasoning the chef decided to use. Best steak I had was last year at Simucon actually, very nice steak place. They actually brought out a platter of raw meat to show you the cuts so you could better decide. Very impressive.

RE: COSI

Damn woman, we're gonna agree again. Cosi is one of the best chains going. I've actually got a franchise package and been debating it as their is none in western MA. The buffalo chicken sandwich is to die for and I go out of my way when in Boston to stop at South Station and grab 3, 1 for then and 2 to take home.

/swoon

~Paul

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Because taco bell is f'ing awesome, that's why. :yes:

i have a taco bell...300 feet from my apt building. not conducive to marathon training. so conducive to late night deliciousness.

Skeeter
07-30-2008, 01:12 PM
I tell you, I've been really impressed by the quality of food at the new Texas Road House they just put in. I haven't had a bad meal there yet.

I will say if you need to put anything on a steak, it's not a good steak.

I have also never understood the people who order steak at a comedy club. WTF is it even doing on the menu?

BigWorm
07-30-2008, 01:13 PM
RE: Steak

A good steak should stand on its own. Rare, whatever seasoning the chef decided to use. Best steak I had was last year at Simucon actually, very nice steak place. They actually brought out a platter of raw meat to show you the cuts so you could better decide. Very impressive.
[\quote]
I'm a med-rare guy, but I agree with everything else there. Where was it in STL that you ate?

Damn woman, we're gonna agree again. Cosi is one of the best chains going. I've actually got a franchise package and been debating it as their is none in western MA. The buffalo chicken sandwich is to die for and I go out of my way when in Boston to stop at South Station and grab 3, 1 for then and 2 to take home.

/swoon

~Paul

Yeah Cosi reminded me of St. Louis Bread Company (Panera everywhere else) which is a chain that I like for quick and good food.

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 01:16 PM
I have also never understood the people who order steak at a comedy club. WTF is it even doing on the menu?

they put it there as a joke...

edit: also, if you put anything more than salt/pepper (pre-grilling) on a steak, then I hate you.

Renian
07-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Renian, you were in Roch?! Wtf! I was there for 2 years! Applebees in Rochester was ok, but I'd rather go to Plum Gardens for Hibachi.

Were?

AM. I live there. Did you go to RIT/UR or something? I live two streets away from RIT, lolz.

AnticorRifling
07-30-2008, 01:20 PM
One of my staple meals in the Marine Corps was steamed white rice and A-1 sauce.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
07-30-2008, 01:28 PM

/swoon

~Paul

I've been depressed since moving to Western MA about the lack of Cosi out here :(

I loved their Meatball Aurora, or if I was getting the tomato basil soup I'd get a tuna cheddar melt. I only tried some of the salads but I loved the signature if you just replaced the Gorgonzola with feta. I always got a custom pizza if I went there for dinner though.. Alfredo sauce on the bottom, layer of mozzarella, layer of chicken, torn up piece of provolone and a torn up piece of cheddar, then bacon sprinkled on top.

Damn it. Now I am craving some Cosi. Panera just won't do.

Skeeter
07-30-2008, 01:29 PM
they put it there as a joke...

edit: also, if you put anything more than salt/pepper (pre-grilling) on a steak, then I hate you.

It may have started as a joke but I've seen people order it / eat it.

kookiegod
07-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Where the heck do you live in Western MA? Sheesh, I thought you were in southern CT last.

Sheesh, I'll show you one decent hibachi place at least, its not Cosi, but its good.

Heck, if your interested, could always talk franchises.

Heh!

~Paul

kookiegod
07-30-2008, 01:41 PM
And true, Panera isn't even close.

Panera while on the surface looks healthy, really isn't. I was fairly shocked reading an analysis of it.

The salads are really good at Cosi, as are Panera's.

I think I will hit Panera after my meeting this afternoon and grab a salad and a hunk of bread.

Heh.

~Paul

AnticorRifling
07-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Where the heck do you live in Western MA? Sheesh, I thought you were in southern CT last.

Sheesh, I'll show you one decent hibachi place at least, its not Cosi, but its good.

Heck, if your interested, could always talk franchises.

Heh!

~Paul

Sheesh indeed.

BigWorm
07-30-2008, 01:56 PM
And true, Panera isn't even close.

Panera while on the surface looks healthy, really isn't. I was fairly shocked reading an analysis of it.

The salads are really good at Cosi, as are Panera's.

I think I will hit Panera after my meeting this afternoon and grab a salad and a hunk of bread.

Heh.

~Paul

Yeah its definitely not health food but they use quality ingredients and have a good selection on their menu.

AnticorRifling
07-30-2008, 01:57 PM
The real injustice is the fact that sliders are now 57 cents a piece. That's some bullshit right there.

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 02:10 PM
It may have started as a joke but I've seen people order it / eat it.

oh, i have too. i chuckle while i eat my burger and chug beers.

CrystalTears
07-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Why are you even eating a meal at a comedy club? Chips is as far as I'd go and then go out to eat where it doesn't cost $20 for 3 strips of gum-strength chicken fingers.

Allereli
07-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Why are you even eating a meal at a comedy club? Chips is as far as I'd go and then go out to eat where it doesn't cost $20 for 3 strips of gum-strength chicken fingers.

actually, the Improv in DC has decent food if you order the right thing, and since you're required to order two items, food makes sense as one.

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 02:13 PM

because i need something to pad all the alcohol I consume.

gum-strength?

edit: The Improv is awesome. Seen some great shows there.

Gan
07-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Also like ordering a steak at a strip club...

Allereli
edit: The Improv is awesome. Seen some great shows there.

Did you ever see the hypnotist Flip Orley? different and hilarious show every time except for his intro set

AnticorRifling

But you can get one for 5 dollars at lunch! And they throw in free ass glitter.....

NocturnalRob

anyone that orders food at a strip club is clearly there for the wrong reasons.

CrystalTears
gum-strength?
Yeah, the kind of chicken that you have to gnaw and chew on for ages for it to come apart and make it possible to swallow the fucking thing. :D

I haven't been to a comedy club in over 10 years and that was back in Florida, and I vowed to never eat at one again.

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah, the kind of chicken that you have to gnaw and chew on for ages for it to come apart and make it possible to swallow the fucking thing. :D

I haven't been to a comedy club in over 10 years and that was back in Florida, and I vowed to never eat at one again.

hahaha...gross! most of the comedy clubs i've been to in recent times have been pretty reputable, so I don't have issues ordering food there. But I stick to the basics.

and to get this thread back on track--Bennigan's sucks.

AnticorRifling
07-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Bennigan's didn't suck. Just don't go there expecting an epic meal. The meat doughnut was the shit.

BigWorm
07-30-2008, 02:28 PM

Are you trying to say that you don't like Heartbreakers?

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Bennigan's didn't suck. Just don't go there expecting an epic meal. The meat doughnut was the shit.

i would go to Shoney's before I'd go to Bennigan's.

lollipop tree FTW

Allereli
07-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Couldn't help but do a google image search for meat donut:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/vankrasn/meatdonut2.jpg http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/vankrasn/meatdonut.jpg

AnticorRifling
07-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Man I haven't seen a Shoney's since like '98.

AnticorRifling
07-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Couldn't help but do a google image search for meat donut:

Try it with safe search off. FYI you won't get pr0n until page 29....

Gan
07-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Are you trying to say that you don't like Heartbreakers?

LOL

I havnt been to Heartbreakers since I live/work on the west/southwest side of Houston.

Colorado/Mens's Club/St. James Place (northside), Centerfolds, Pink Pussycat...

I used to have a boss who would have his monthly 'business meetings' with the executive team at a different one each month. It was cool up until he got canned.

Colorado is by far my favorite. ;)

BigWorm
07-30-2008, 02:42 PM

lollipop tree FTW

When I was like 8 I thought Shoney's was the shit but then they disappeared from around me so I had to get into the Ground Round.

Gan
07-30-2008, 02:43 PM
But you can get one for 5 dollars at lunch! And they throw in free ass glitter.....

I've had lunch fed to me there a few times. Thats always fun - but it was a sandwich/burger and chips.

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Try it with safe search off. FYI you won't get pr0n until page 29....

i used to take road trips with my family when i was younger from monroe, LA and jackson, MS up to my grandmother's in kinston, NC.

taco bell, cracker barrel, and shoney's. there was always a shoney's to be found. haven't seen one in forever though.

CrystalTears
07-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Wow, I don't know if I'd go that far. :lol:

I'd only ever even see a Shoney's when heading to Disney/Busch Gardens and it was on the way. It was like eating at a bad Denny's and didn't want to touch anything while there cause you'd be afraid you'd get stuck there for life.

Now I'm fixated on Crackle Barrel which I seem to be the only to like. I'd crawl across states for their hash brown casserole.

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Now I'm fixated on Crackle Barrel which I seem to be the only to like. I'd crawl across states for their hash brown casserole.

the inherent racism aside, CB is absolute and complete awesomeness personified.

Skeeter
anyone that orders food at a strip club is clearly there for the wrong reasons.

I was at a strip club in upstate Ohio that had an all you can eat spaghetti buffet, it was the weirdest thing.

Sean
I'm just sick of seeing Sonics commericals. There are 2 in my state and not one within about 75 miles of my house.

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I was at a strip club in upstate Ohio that had an all you can eat spaghetti buffet, it was the weirdest thing.

Nice! what was the talent like there? i can only imagine...

CrystalTears
07-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm just sick of seeing Sonics commericals. There are 2 in my state and not one within about 75 miles of my house.
Agreed. That and Red Robin.

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 02:52 PM

that's the biggest fucking tease ever. sonic is awesome. their burgers are full of win, and their new fried ice cream blast ensures that i will never be thin again.

Sean
07-30-2008, 02:54 PM
I thought you lived in Manhattan, where is there a Sonics in NYC?

Skeeter
07-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Nice! what was the talent like there? i can only imagine...

It wasn't the best...

Also Cracker Barrel is for old people only, which explains why CT likes it. I'm sure it's PBs favorite place too.

Sonic just opened around the corner from me. Win!

CrystalTears
07-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Also Cracker Barrel is for old people only, which explains why CT likes it. I'm sure it's PBs favorite place too.
I'm willing to accept that as those are usually the people there anyway. I don't care! I love it! :tongue:

NocturnalRob
07-30-2008, 03:04 PM
I thought you lived in Manhattan, where is there a Sonics in NYC?

there's not :(

but i visit college friends in PA every couple months--there are some sonics there.

and my entire immediate family is in DC, and I have a few friends who live out in bumblefuck, va (some shithole nw of leesburg, va). there's a sonics about 20 minutes or so away. i'd walk there if i had to.

The Ponzzz
07-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Were?

AM. I live there. Did you go to RIT/UR or something? I live two streets away from RIT, lolz.

That's too bad, we should totally hung out! I'm in South Bend now. I was going to Brockport and the GF was over at RIT doing the NTID ASL shitz.

Jenisi
07-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Our Bennigans is privately owned, so it's not closing (thank god).

The Ponzzz
07-30-2008, 03:57 PM
There's a Bennigans here in SB, Angela? I still don't know this place at all.

AnticorRifling
07-30-2008, 09:44 PM

Yeah there is. Come on man it's not like South Bend is a freaking metropolis. :)

The Ponzzz
07-30-2008, 10:00 PM
I go to like, Grape road and downtown. I'm in Mishawaka a lot.

Sean of the Thread
07-30-2008, 10:11 PM
South Bend is hickville.

The Ponzzz
07-30-2008, 10:30 PM
South Bend is hickville.

QFT!!!!!!!

AnticorRifling
07-31-2008, 09:01 AM
I go to like, Grape road and downtown. I'm in Mishawaka a lot.
I might be up that way next Sunday to go shooting. If you see a milk truck (white scion XB) loaded with rifles look out!

Parkbandit
07-31-2008, 09:06 AM
I might be up that way next Sunday to go shooting. If you see a milk truck (white scion XB) loaded with rifles look out!

Jesus.. that has to be the fugliest vehicle ever designed.

http://www.scionlife.com/gallery/personal/50236_20.jpg

RichardCranium
07-31-2008, 09:35 AM

/agree

I mean it's not quite a mini-van but it'll do, y'know?

Mighty Nikkisaurus
07-31-2008, 09:38 AM

http://www.scionlife.com/gallery/personal/50236_20.jpg

It definitely is.

NocturnalRob
07-31-2008, 09:48 AM

but they're so customizable!!11!!!!1!!

Sean of the Thread
07-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Wayne please don't fucking tell me you drive that shit.

Skeeter
07-31-2008, 09:56 AM
it looks like a roller skate

NocturnalRob
07-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Wayne please don't fucking tell me you drive that shit.

that and the fucking Aztec make me want to swallow a bullet

Allereli
07-31-2008, 10:25 AM
My friend made me test drive one, it was a shitty ride.

Jenisi
07-31-2008, 10:28 AM

It's in Elkhart, but not that far away.

The Ponzzz
07-31-2008, 03:09 PM

LOL. I'm heading to SimuCon or else I would be on the look out!

And aha! Elkhart! I've only drove there like once when I was just wandering.

AnticorRifling
07-31-2008, 07:27 PM
LOL. I'm heading to SimuCon or else I would be on the look out!

And aha! Elkhart! I've only drove there like once when I was just wandering.
It's across the street from the Bob Evans/Red Lobster/Menards.

And yes I drive that thing, it's awesome! I've also got a 2008 scion XB (different color) and I'm looking at trading the milk truck in for the next body style.

The Ponzzz
07-31-2008, 07:51 PM
Do those Scions drive nice?

SayGoodbye
07-31-2008, 07:52 PM
The backseats are roomy..

Sean of the Thread
07-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Nice avatar Mario. It is here and forever saved into my archives.