PDA

View Full Version : Oscuro on High Level Empath Spells

Fallen
07-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Currently, the Empath Base Circle has holes in the 35th and 40th level slots. Thus, we will eventually need to add two more high level spells to the Empath spell list. With previous threads, we were able to work together to construct the backbone of the design for the Regeneration (1150) spell. Filling slots 1135 and 1140 aren't exactly priority one right now, nevertheless, the Cleric/Empath team always tries to look to the future for possible additions and we're interested in your input.

Some things to keep in mind when brainstorming are the basic requirements of a new spell for an existing profession. It should be unique, useful, not overpowered, appropriate for the circle and worthy of the spell level. We are currently satisfied with Empath combat stats (AS/DS/CS/TD), so you are almost certainly not going to see a new spell that increases these values, at least not without seeing decreases in other areas, so I'd steer discussion away from that. In general, utility spells would be preferred.

I know there is interest in a mass attack spell for Empaths. Feel free to offer suggestions in this vein, however, it is not in our interest to make Empaths much more efficient at hunting than they already are. One of the designed strengths of Wizards and Sorcerers is their ability to handle many opponents in a superior manner to Empaths (and Clerics). A mass attack spell that would truly be worthy of at least level 35 is also unlikely to be appropriate for the Empath list, so design in this direction could prove futile.

Other things to keep in mind that aren't requirements, but are something Estild and I could consider interesting would be a spell that utilizes the manipulation aspect of mental magic in an Empathic sort of way (rather than a Savant-y one) or an appropriately flavored item creation (e.g. 325, 925, etc.) type spell.

Now, let's hear some ideas. :)

= - GM Oscuro - =

Xaerve
07-17-2008, 09:31 AM
I think that a spell similar to 319 would be appropriate for empaths, even in the 35 level spot.

Who gives a shit about mana costs, I have 900 mana instantly.

Fallen
07-17-2008, 09:44 AM
I vote for an Empathic Tug type affect for one of the slots.

Beguiler
07-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Despite my fear of sounding ignorant, er, empathic tug?

I could live without a mass attack spell if we had a truly useful disabling spell. Evarin, you're right, 1120 should be that, but right now the duration is abysmally too short do do much of anything.

Some Rogue
07-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Empathic Tug = Mental handjob?

Or, it's the effect that I think the liches in the monastery use. It causes you to pause and stop casting the spell altogether. :D

Ashliana
07-17-2008, 11:43 AM
I posted a spell idea on the forum.

1135 [Antipathy]

By establishing a brief physical and empathic connection, the Empath is able to temporarily and violently reverse the flow of wounds (but not blood) from his or her own body, forcibly onto the target. The effectiveness of establishing the link is enhanced by Mental Lore, Telepathy and and the effectiveness of the transfer is enhanced by Mental Lore, Transformation.

Input?

Fallen
07-17-2008, 11:53 AM
A bit limited in use. Sure, as a parlor trick it would be cool, but it wouldn't find its way into your normal hunting use.

Empathic tug was correctly described as the ability those monastic liches have. A passive ability which halts people/creatures from swinging/casting at you mid-attack from time to time.

Good stuff.

Renian
07-17-2008, 12:28 PM
I like Ashliana's idea. But yes, it's a bit limited, and probably not worth 35 or 40 mana. Unless you just healed an imploded guy in the field. :P

Empathic tug seems good, but I wouldn't call it that. Maybe Empathic Aura or something.

Xaerve
07-17-2008, 01:50 PM
It should give us 40 Elemental TD and call it a day!

Latrinsorm
07-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Sympathy ][: THE RECKONING

Glowier eyes! Shorter durations! Ridiculous IG legal system repercussions? YOU BET!

Borismere
07-18-2008, 03:23 PM
How bout a spell that allows you to form a empathic link at a distance like someone from the landing can create a link to someone hunting in solhaven. They can heal wounds from their location without actually having the person come over.

radamanthys
07-18-2008, 06:46 PM
1140- Mass hugs.

Allows the caster to bounce around in the most ferocious manner possible, hugging every character in the room a number of times. Causes all players (not characters) to groan in unison.

radamanthys
07-18-2008, 06:48 PM
How bout a spell that allows you to form a empathic link at a distance like someone from the landing can create a link to someone hunting in solhaven. They can heal wounds from their location without actually having the person come over.

That's a pretty sweet idea. It'd have to be one cast per rank of wound, though, with hard RT (lore mitigable?). But being able to send for help over the amulet for, say, a mangled hand, just so that you can continue the hunt would be teh shiz.

Fallen
07-18-2008, 07:07 PM
That is a badass idea, but I don't think it would never fly. Oscuro/Estild has stated on several occasions that they want people to be face to face when they heal or raise dead so that there is interaction between between the characters.

I bet if enough people get behind the idea, though, they might allow it in one form or another.