PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question from newb Warrior

cronuss
07-16-2008, 02:23 PM
I've been playing off and on for 13 years, but have always played pures and semis (besides a little level 6 Warrior I had at one point).

Anyway, something is confusing me... and forgive me if this is a really stupid question.

I've been playing so many casters lately that I'm sort of craving something more straight forward with less strings attached. Also, all the new (to me) Combat Maneuvers are interesting to me.

So I made a new Warrior.

I noticed immediately that I was unable to even come close to training the skills that I thought I should be able to afford.

I wanted to 2x THW, 2x CM, 2-3x armor, 2-3x MOC, 2-3x Physical Fitness, and maybe have a few points to toss into ambush, dodge or something else.

Instead, I'm finding that I can BARELY get my basic skills trained and have no points to even come close to my goals... which I fiend strange, because everyone else on this forum seems to afford the skills I want just fine... and more.

Best I seem to afford is 2x THW, barely over 2X armor, 2x CM, 2x PF, and not even 2x MOC.

Here are my stats and skills thus far:

Race: Giantman Profession: Warrior (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 96 (38) ... 96 (38)
Constitution (CON): 91 (30) ... 91 (30)
Dexterity (DEX): 86 (13) ... 86 (13)
Agility (AGI): 86 (13) ... 86 (13)
Discipline (DIS): 71 (10) ... 71 (10)
Aura (AUR): 51 (-5) ... 51 (-5)
Logic (LOG): 70 (5) ... 70 (5)
Intuition (INT): 51 (0) ... 51 (0)
Wisdom (WIS): 41 (-4) ... 41 (-4)
Influence (INF): 28 (-6) ... 28 (-6)
Mana: 0 Silver: 177

(at level 3), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 58 12
Combat Maneuvers...................| 50 10
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 50 10
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 40 8
Physical Fitness...................| 58 12
Training Points: 0 Phy 16 Mnt (40 Mnt converted to Phy)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

308 days remain until the annual FIXSKILLS is to be granted, on 05/20/2009.

Your 30 day migration period will begin when you choose to degrade a skill.

Am I missing something?

Thanks..

NocturnalRob
07-16-2008, 02:39 PM
you're 3x in armor and PT. you're utilizing way too many points already.

also, warriors suck.

FACE, KHARIZ!!!

Martaigne
07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
1x MOC, 3x armor, 2x PT, 2x THW, 2x CM.

Read this thread for more detailed info from me and Khariz.

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=33916

Rob. :P

Khariz
07-16-2008, 03:04 PM
As a twohanded warrior, this is how I recommend doing it:

3x armor
2x PF
2x Dodge
2x THW
2x CM

Those are your essentials. You can 2x armor instead if you want, but its nice to get into full plate ASAP, especially as a twohander.

Whatever points you have left after that, do whatever you can. If you want some MOC, put some points there. Avoid 3xing Dodge or PF until AFTER you have 140 ranks in armor. When you have 140 ranks in armor, it becomes really easy to have all the extra points you want to do anything.

NocturnalRob
07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
When you have 140 ranks in armor, it becomes really easy to have all the extra points you want to do anything.

like suck!??!

MUAHAHHA

Khariz
07-16-2008, 03:09 PM
like suck!??!

MUAHAHHA

Yep, every day, the only thing I am good for is showing how much a capped warrior sucks :hug2:

Martaigne
07-16-2008, 03:14 PM
2x Dodge

Fuck, I forgot Dodge. Thanks Khariz.

The rest is just like he says. I think we both enjoy a good amount of success as warriors of different levels.

like suck!??!

MUAHAHHA

Contribute constructively, or GTFO. <3

Renian
07-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Rob's right; warriors suck. They might be able to physically tank mobs like nobody's business, but at cap, it's hell to raise your TD unless you buy shit/cap thrice over to actually learn some spells. That, and their rate of killing is slow. Oh sure, it's faster with the BERSERK changes (which I agree was a fantastic change), but if you can't loot the mob it's annoying.

Make a rogue. At least with them you can shoot in 3 seconds in the eye and pick locks. I'm aware warriors can get the same archery AS, but rogues can get superior accuracy with 3x perception. And they can actually kinda learn spells at cap at the rate of 1 spell per about 125k xp, rather than a warrior's obscene 230k xp or something stupid.

However, if you insist,

1x MOC, 3x armor, 2x PT, 2x THW, 2x CM.
is solid with 2x dodge as well. Once you hit 140 ranks of armor, get more dodge, PT, or MOC. Don't forget about climbing, swimming, and perception. You may want magical ranks to avoid spellburst.

NocturnalRob
07-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Yep, every day, the only thing I am good for is showing how much a capped warrior sucks :hug2:

no. you're good for showing how good a capped warrior is with 10x armor, 10x db, and all sorts of other 1337 shit.

and i'm not hating on your gear. i think it's awesome that you've compiled a set of sweet shit and you completely tool on everything. and i know that it definitely took a lot of time and energy on your part to piece everything together. i'm just saying, that it's not at all the norm (and i think this has been said in about 829 threads at this point).

Contribute constructively, or GTFO. <3

i was contributing constructively. generally speaking, warriors are crap. OP, don't waste your time. make a rogue or stick with pures. try a bard.

Rob's right; warriors suck.

qft

Martaigne
07-16-2008, 03:31 PM
:facepalm:

NocturnalRob
07-16-2008, 03:35 PM
:facepalm:

l2emote.

and i would put up a like-leveled rogue against a warrior any day.

Martaigne
07-16-2008, 03:42 PM
l2emote.

and i would put up a like-leveled rogue against a warrior any day.

Seriously, you don't have anything better to do than make fun of how I emote and troll people who are happy being warriors? :)

NocturnalRob
07-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Seriously, you don't have anything better to do than make fun of how I emote and troll people who are happy being warriors? :)

sadly, no. hahaha...and i've done the warrior route before. and basically Khariz (in his infinite wisdom) is correct. 3x Armor and 2x PF, Dodge, THW, CM until you get to 140 in armor. then it's pretty much up to you.

my point was basically that it's a very straight forward training plan that leaves very little to the imagination, much as I think playing a warrior does.

My opinion. Don't hate.

Martaigne
07-16-2008, 03:55 PM
sadly, no. hahaha...and i've done the warrior route before. and basically Khariz (in his infinite wisdom) is correct. 3x Armor and 2x PF, Dodge, THW, CM until you get to 140 in armor. then it's pretty much up to you.

my point was basically that it's a very straight forward training plan that leaves very little to the imagination, much as I think playing a warrior does.

My opinion. Don't hate.

I'm much cooler with this statement than I am with a universal "warriors suck". :)

This particular training plan does leave very little to the imagination. That happens with squares.

I also happen to have another warrior who is singled in armor, tripled in dodge and tripled in PF with brawl and twc. Variations CAN occur! :D

NocturnalRob
07-16-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm much cooler with this statement than I am with a universal "warriors suck". :)

This particular training plan does leave very little to the imagination. That happens with squares.

I also happen to have another warrior who is singled in armor, tripled in dodge and tripled in PF with brawl and twc. Variations CAN occur! :D

interesting...if i had more free time, i'd start up another warrior with a non-traditional training plan, just to mess around and try to disprove my own point. but i've got my hands full with a couple other characters now. once i cap a few of these (roughly 2010), i'll whip up another warrior. and then, look out!!

Mtenda
07-16-2008, 09:53 PM
My warrior rolls with

2x TWC
2x Armor
2x CM
2x Edged
2x Brawl (dual katars, not dominate but viable)
30 ranks of Ambush
30 ranks of Multi Opps (with crowds bigger than this I tend to start making costly mistakes and toe to toe I rely on aimed shots not damage)
2x PF
2x Dodge
5 ranks of HP
with extra points in Climb, Swim, Perc, MIU, and AS (mostly to avoid spellburst)

Although to be completely honest I plan to convert him into a Monk when the time is right. His stat placement sucks.

cronuss
07-16-2008, 11:37 PM
okay, I still dont get it...

check this out:

Armor Use..........................| 50 10
Combat Maneuvers...................| 50 10
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 50 10
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 50 10
Physical Fitness...................| 50 10
Training Points: 12 Phy 55 Mnt

2x in armor, cm, thw, moc, pf... and barely any points to do anything else. i literally CANT triple in any of those skills... not enough points. can only get like 3 ranks of dodge or ambush... etc.

how am I supposed to afford something like:

2x TWC
2x Armor
2x CM
2x Edged
2x Brawl (dual katars, not dominate but viable)
30 ranks of Ambush
30 ranks of Multi Opps (with crowds bigger than this I tend to start making costly mistakes and toe to toe I rely on aimed shots not damage)
2x PF
2x Dodge
5 ranks of HP
with extra points in Climb, Swim, Perc, MIU, and AS (mostly to avoid spellburst)

literally IMPOSSIBLE for me, it seems... is it somehow a problem with my stats?

I just dont get it

2x THW
2x Armor
2x CM
2x MOC
2x PF

and im OUT of points pretty much

this makes no sense... you guys are all doing the 2x skills im doing AND adding many other 2x and maybe even a 3x or so... and tertiary skills

/ponder

edit: is it the 2x in MOC thats killing me?

Borismere
07-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Warriors don't suck. They are just a different difficulty setting.
http://www.3dagames.com/PPC3DSFP/Manual/Screens/FullConfigScreenCOL_DifficultySelected.jpg

Notably the ARGHHH! setting.

Then you end up like this guy...Just add "ED" to the end of that title.

http://zakladi.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/doom-original.jpg

Celephais
07-16-2008, 11:48 PM
Cronuss... I take it you're level 3? Keep in mind that things are rather skewed early on, you're training for a level that you haven't yet gotten the points for. If you pushed the training out a few more levels the relative cost of the extra "two levels" worth of skills (zero and the level you're working on) will not be as much and you should be able to fill in the training better.

I can't imagine it's causing actually issues with your hunting, but yeah, just wait a handful more levels (say lvl 7 or 8) and things will fit a bit better.

cronuss
07-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Cronuss... I take it you're level 3? Keep in mind that things are rather skewed early on, you're training for a level that you haven't yet gotten the points for. If you pushed the training out a few more levels the relative cost of the extra "two levels" worth of skills (zero and the level you're working on) will not be as much and you should be able to fill in the training better.

I can't imagine it's causing actually issues with your hunting, but yeah, just wait a handful more levels (say lvl 7 or 8) and things will fit a bit better.

yeah, i was kind of thinking that may be the problem... that im still sort of "catching up" for that first/extra level of training of something

just trying to plan this out before i lose my fixskills period

Sean
07-17-2008, 12:13 AM
not to mention you don't need to immediately get your interlevel skills when you level. At 3 if you just had 4 ranks in single trained skills and 8 in double instead of 10 you'd have more TPs to diversify.

Mtenda
07-17-2008, 12:14 AM
I should also add that the training example I gave was with a warrior whose stat placement is designed for maximum training points.

Warriorbird
07-17-2008, 12:17 AM
I train

2x THW, 2x CM, 2x Armor, 2x PF, 2x Dodge, 2x MO

It works completely fine.

Martaigne
07-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Not only that, you don't HAVE to 2x MOC right away, that sucks up a lot of points.

Khariz
07-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Not only that, you don't HAVE to 2x MOC right away, that sucks up a lot of points.

I'd say you shouldn't even fully 1x in it until you have 140 armor. But that's as a twohanded weapon user. If you are TWC or something, you may want it, I dunno.

Do whatever you want, you'll have the points to make up for it later as both stats increase and you stop training in certain skills.

Mtenda
07-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Train for what you are hunting. If you are this young, just get 5 ranks of multi opps til you can actually get like 15 or whatever the next threshold is.