PDA

View Full Version : Official: Imaera's Glade Revised, et al!

Fallen
07-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Due to several generous donations from the savvy merchants of the Mercantylers' Guild, the Green Sisters of Imaera have seen fit to extend access to a previously private altar to Imaera in her aspect as the Harvest Goddess.

Harvest's Vigil is located immediately south of the Garden of Making.

Rumors around the city suggest that Paidreg Venquinor has finished moving into his new manor in Solhaven. With the destruction of his familial home and his parents' whereabouts still unknown, the manor has been christened "Venquinor House" and will stand as the official seat of his bloodline.

===

In clearer terms, there's a third altar to Imaera in her glade. Venquinor House will remain locked when its owner is not in residence, but expect some public gatherings there soon.

Auchand

This message was originally posted in Towns, Solhaven. To discuss the above follow the link below.

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=19&topic=9&message=10161 (http://www.play.net/forums/redirect.asp?URL=http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=19&topic=9&message=10161)

Nilandia
07-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Very well designed, I have to say. It fits well with the rest of the temple, but it also focuses more on Imaera's aspect as patroness of the harvest.

Gretchen

Fallen
07-14-2008, 11:24 PM
I am beyond pleased that most of you are happy with the new temples.

I can't speak about the other temples, but I can explain the thought process behind Imaera's. What I sought to do with the temple was to express Imaera in a way that many of her followers could appreciate and stayed true to documentation. The former temple was definitely functional, and I can see where it would be considered human in design. The reasoning for that was appropriately explained by Kilthal. However, being that it was designed in that way, I thought it was lacking in a few areas that should be important to her followers.

Imaera's plants and animals are those that are native to the land. That has always struck a cord with me. The former temple was made from materials that were definitely naturalistic, which is of course acceptable. But, many of them were not native to Solhaven. Hazel is found primarily in the Landing, yew is primarily found in River's Rest, and willow and beech primarily found in places other than Solhaven.

The plants and trees that I chose were hawthorn, speckled adler, modwir, oak, bergamot, heliotrope, trumpetvine, vinca, and water chestnut. All of these plants are primarily found in Solhaven. The angelica I included has both lore about Imaera in our flower language document and is meant to be a nod to healers. It grows best in deep soil and prefers partial shade to full sun, which suits the climate and land. I've seen plenty of it grow wild in very hot sun, so I wasn't concerned over including it.

Rowan is a protective tree to humans and sylvans, and they do prefer a bit more shade, which is why they were placed in a copse. Faewood and Imaera go hand in hand, and I saw no reason why they wouldn't work for the area. All of the lemon trees were to honor the harvest aspect of Imaera, but because that was fairly obscure, I added the harvest altar to meet those needs.

As far as the location, the former temple had a number of non-native trees (yew, willow, hazel for example) growing up out of the floor. To me, that says the area can both support trees in general, and must be exceedingly fertile to do so. I don't think it's too much of a stretch for many native plants to be thriving there now.

So, I realize this does not address everything, but as far as the area being viewed as simply pretty, there was a lot of thought and reasoning applied to its construction.

~Galene

Daniel
07-15-2008, 12:02 AM
What an absolutely obscene waste of energy\brain power.

Fallen
07-15-2008, 12:04 AM
People seem to be happy with the new what have yous.

Latrinsorm
07-15-2008, 12:02 PM
What an absolutely obscene waste of energy\brain power.Not a liberal arts major, I take it.