PDA

View Full Version : a reticulated silver orb

Elvenlady
07-13-2008, 06:57 AM
I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything through a search. Can someone enlighten me as to whether this has any special properties? I've tried all the standard verbs on it and all I came up with was this :

>shake orb
The weight of the orb shifts when you shake it, as if it isn't solid, but filled with some kind of viscous liquid.

>open orb
Open the silver orb with what?

justincredible
07-13-2008, 07:03 AM
I had one and forgot how I opened it. Got a message about not having something to catch the liquid in so it puddled on the floor and evaporated. I'd wait until someone with a little more knowledge than me could help you out. I felt like an idiot when I "broke" mine

Xaerve
07-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Aren't those from the wasp nests on Teras?

Elvenlady
07-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Yes, the cinder wasp nests on the lava flows. I'm assuming they are part of the priestess potion/death sting quest.

pmauddib
07-13-2008, 09:00 AM
I have never done it myself, but I thought these were full of liquid glaes and if you had a mold to catch it in, it would create something for you.

Numbers
07-13-2008, 09:49 AM
There's three molds in the game that you can use on those orbs to make pieces of jewelry. There's a pin mold, pendant mold, and a bucket mold. Each one has about 130 different shapes or so. The adjective of the jewelry is random (articulate, beautiful, crude, elegant, etc.) There's also glaes orbs, mithril orbs, golden orbs, and opalescent orbs (random gem). Iridescent orbs won't work -- those just restore your mana in exchange for a l3 chest bleeder.

I took the pin and pendant mold to the grave with me. Not sure who owns the buckle mold now.

Elvenlady
07-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks. I'll be selling it then.

grenthor
07-13-2008, 01:53 PM
I took the pin and pendant mold to the grave with me.

I hate hearing things like that. Sucks you werent able to give those to someone before you left. Really rare stuff like that should be able to be saved somehow.

Numbers
07-13-2008, 06:12 PM
I tried selling the molds about a year before I left.

I agree that I don't like it when neat items are taken to the grave. But I was so disgusted with GemStone at the time I just didn't care. Plus, I didn't know if I'd ever be back.

Stanley Burrell
07-13-2008, 06:16 PM
They're gemshop sellable for a larger % modifier than what the pawnshop would rack in.

I used to sit in a room with two or three pyros and have them swing at the nests until they died (and I could then search them for orbs.)

You could probably farm the crap out of these with an animate, hmm. I've never seen retribution (insta-death beeswarm) on critters, like pyrothags.

Elvenlady
07-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, the gemshop gave me 2400 odd silvers. It's tempting to do just as you say and farm the wasp nests while foraging for blue poppies. At least get something out of having to occupy lower level territory.

NocturnalRob
07-14-2008, 09:30 AM
1) how do you crack open the orbs?
2) why blue poppies?
3) why was I able to 1030 a crapton of wasp nests and then randomly got retribution?

Elvenlady
07-14-2008, 09:35 AM
2) For alchemy, the recipe for making potion 107 requires 3 blue poppies.

I'll leave others to address the other two questions since I don't know the answer to those.

NocturnalRob
07-14-2008, 09:37 AM
2) For alchemy, the recipe for making potion 107 requires 3 blue poppies.

I'll leave others to address the other two questions since I don't know the answer to those.

are you the one killing the rooms for all my forage bounties!? haha...

but seriously, the last 3 forage bounties I've had, all the rooms in the volcano have been picked clean. annoying!

Elvenlady
07-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Not likely to be me since I'm on GMT and tend to play before most people are up and about. Plus I'm nice and only forage one or two rooms at a time or disappear if I see people hunting/foraging because I don't want to cause problems with a swarm.

I wouldn't be at all surprised though if others are out there like me, foraging for poppies. They are only available in RR, Teras and one room in Vaalor.

Paradii
07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
ranger companions can attack the nests without fear of retribution btw. Takes a minute or so for them to kill them on their own though

Methais
07-14-2008, 02:58 PM
There's three molds in the game that you can use on those orbs to make pieces of jewelry. There's a pin mold, pendant mold, and a bucket mold. Each one has about 130 different shapes or so. The adjective of the jewelry is random (articulate, beautiful, crude, elegant, etc.) There's also glaes orbs, mithril orbs, golden orbs, and opalescent orbs (random gem). Iridescent orbs won't work -- those just restore your mana in exchange for a l3 chest bleeder.

I took the pin and pendant mold to the grave with me. Not sure who owns the buckle mold now.

That.

As far as opening them, I think you have to BREAK ORB WITH DAGGER, while holding a dagger of course. It might be OPEN I don't remember for sure, but you do need a dagger.

The opalescent ones are the fun ones. You can crack them open and SNIFF them, getting some messaging that will make you think you just snorted a line of coke. Family game indeed.

NocturnalRob
07-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Iridescent orbs won't work -- those just restore your mana in exchange for a l3 chest bleeder.

no chance for crit death? just a badass bleeder?

Celephais
07-14-2008, 06:09 PM
You can just kill the nests if you listen to them, it's relatively straitforward. Sandstorms do a fucking number on them too, >100 dmg per round... for a while I thought sandstorms were retribution free, killed a ton that way (even buzzing ones) when all the sudden one retributed...

NocturnalRob
07-14-2008, 06:13 PM
You can just kill the nests if you listen to them, it's relatively straitforward. Sandstorms do a fucking number on them too, >100 dmg per round... for a while I thought sandstorms were retribution free, killed a ton that way (even buzzing ones) when all the sudden one retributed...

soooo...if they're quiet, zap the shit out of them?

NocturnalRob
07-14-2008, 06:25 PM
voln fu = lose

Celephais
07-14-2008, 10:11 PM
soooo...if they're quiet, zap the shit out of them?
Correct, but do so QUICKLY and the second it starts humming again, leave it the F alone

SolitareConfinement
07-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Correct, but do so QUICKLY and the second it starts humming again, leave it the F alone

i've had that bite me in the ass once before...only once though...it was oddly quiet like it should be...so i started attacking and in between it being oddly quiet then start humming again i got owned...but the other 1000 i killed worked via the waiting for the oddly quiet msg or what ever it was

NocturnalRob
07-14-2008, 11:48 PM
i've had that bite me in the ass once before...only once though...it was oddly quiet like it should be...so i started attacking and in between it being oddly quiet then start humming again i got owned...but the other 1000 i killed worked via the waiting for the oddly quiet msg or what ever it was

yeah...it only takes one hit from sonic disrupt for me to pee on those nests. no worries there.

droit
07-15-2008, 01:10 AM
The bitch is when there are two nests in one room and you can't tell which one is quiet.