PDA

View Full Version : PvP And Policy

Borismere
07-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Never been in a PvP fight before. But if you just stun a guy or lop off a leg would that constitute any GM intervention? Or do I have to kill him completely for that to happen?

I guess my real question is, how nancy is this game?

Ashliana
07-08-2008, 04:43 PM
If someone gives you reason to kill them, you're allowed to. If someone calls you an asshole in OOC chat, and you kill him (your character had no reason to), it's game mechanics abuse. You're using your character to annoy/hurt the other character's player, instead of roleplaying a conflict between characters.

It's not nancy at all--but most people can't differentiate between "you" and "your player."

Parkbandit
07-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Actually, it depends on the GM looking at the incident.

BigWorm
07-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Actually, it depends on the GM looking at the incident.

But what she offered is a pretty good rule of thumb. If your character would have a justifiable reason for killing another character, then that is almost always acceptable, but as she said most people have trouble separating the player from the character.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
07-09-2008, 04:34 AM
I've always wondered: To what extent is assassination permitted, in the game? Of course I'll get the standard "You must whisper to the person you want to kill, asking for permission" bullshit, but obviously it happens without that being an issue from time to time.

If I made an assassin, roleplayed out the contract, the hit itself, and the cover for my anonymity, would it still be considered OOC PvP? Even if I go to decent lengths to scout my target in character, or get some kind of information from the person arranging the job?

I've always wondered about this, and viable assassin work would really be the only reason I'd have to play again. I just so happen to have a rogue that could pretty much manage any target, given the time and whatnot, so I'm curious about reactivation.

Fallen
07-09-2008, 07:25 AM
I've always wondered: To what extent is assassination permitted, in the game? Of course I'll get the standard "You must whisper to the person you want to kill, asking for permission" bullshit, but obviously it happens without that being an issue from time to time.

If I made an assassin, roleplayed out the contract, the hit itself, and the cover for my anonymity, would it still be considered OOC PvP? Even if I go to decent lengths to scout my target in character, or get some kind of information from the person arranging the job?

I've always wondered about this, and viable assassin work would really be the only reason I'd have to play again. I just so happen to have a rogue that could pretty much manage any target, given the time and whatnot, so I'm curious about reactivation.

Assassination is a very fine line to walk in terms of roleplay. You are basically in a bad situation right off the bat. Another way to look at it is you are directly involving yourself in another's conflict, and killing without any directly relating roleplay. You definitely seem to understand what is required to utilize that type of roleplay without immediately being in trouble with the GMs.

I would say the most important aspect of assassination is to know your target. Is the person you're going to be interacting with normally known for roleplay? If so, they may be more prone to not immediately dialing 911 the second you amb SomeFuck left eye.

Second, even though you are supposed to kill your target and leave them none the wiser, that likely wont fly in terms of policy, and honestly doesn't sound like that great of a time for either party. Interaction before the kill, such as a conversation dropping very subtle hints as to what is to eventually follow, or perhaps even scouting for weaknesses is a good idea. I think it would take skill to still be able to roleplay with someone, almost to the point of garnering full consent but without setting them too much on their guard, but it is certainly possible.

Also, after the kill, I think SOME manner of interaction is required. No, don't pop out of the shadows and start monologging, but drop a calling card. Give a pithy one liner. Allow the deceased some way of initiating further roleplay with the situation, even if not with you.

Finally, you would have to be pretty damned accepting of someone wanting to get some payback against your character, even up to the point of being mercilessly, and sometimes repeatedly slain for your actions. No crying foul to the GMs because the guy you killed isn't taking it like a champ. Unless it becomes absolutely unbearable to play anymore, or they use mechanics abuse, I would say REPORT/ASSIST is off limits to an assassin.

As long as you're not trying to simply make silvers from killing people IG, and are actually looking to use assassination as a roleplay device, I believe it is a perfectly viable scenario to act out in game.

Parkbandit
07-09-2008, 08:42 AM
But what she offered is a pretty good rule of thumb. If your character would have a justifiable reason for killing another character, then that is almost always acceptable, but as she said most people have trouble separating the player from the character.

Generally yes.. but I've seen 2 different GMs quote 2 different 'policies' when it comes to pvp. Idiot GMs like Andraste have no idea that there is a difference between pvp and cvc and try to police both the same way. Until you flush the game of the idiot GMs, it will be completely up to the GM on how the situation works out.

Fallen
07-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Unfortunately, if it DOES come to an assist/report, Falgrin has the right of it. It is completely up to descretion of the GM to choose how to enforce policy. What is really bad is SOME GMs won't even wait for the assist/report, they will yank you out of the game and start immediately questioning you the second CvC occurs.

Peanut Butter Jelly Time
07-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Eh, by that description, I may just consider reactivation. You may remember a while back that I had a sudden interest in unique player-owned houses, and the riverboat in specific... I had planned to get something similar to use as a meeting place to arrange the hits and such! :p

Anywho, the calling card idea was already well prepared, and the character has a downright glut of his specific trademark dropable locked away. He even has a nickname ready to spread and such!

I guess I really didn't put enough thought into it, as I never really even began to think about interacting with my target "randomly" before the kill. It could make for a bit more depth to the character overall, as he'd like to know something about the target that he could use. Maybe write a little note, no more than a single sentence referencing a conversation from a while ago, then drop it next to the aforementioned calling card and whatnot?

At any rate, not sure it's really worth the risk of a lockout, or warning even, as there isn't much use for an assassin that's had his hands tied. I may try to get a bit of a GH/GM's side on this before I go any further, just to be sure.

Warriorbird
07-09-2008, 12:51 PM
If you're intelligent you should never have PVP issues.

Sean of the Thread
07-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Death is so insignificant what does it matter. Yes the game is quite nancy now days.

Borismere
07-09-2008, 01:32 PM
I think assassinations could work if you compensate the person being assassinated with like a 500k note or something for their trouble. This part will be OOC, and won't be considered part of the RP. But I would gladly get assassinated for 500k, it'll be like an actor getting paid to play a role.

Timjirdos
07-09-2008, 01:38 PM
There's at least four of these threads on the site now, with the same gripe. :rofl:

I think it's a leadership problem, myself.

the PVP/ CvC issue has been a long running issue. and as far as i know, none of the Senior Staff(Producer/APM/SGM) want to be the one to clarify the issue. hence, it gets left up to the GM's to make the decision, based on their personal bias, or whatnot.

It's ridiculous how you'll get warned by one GM. and just a light slap on the wrist by others. this issue really needs to be straightened out, one way or another.

Warriorbird
07-09-2008, 02:00 PM
I've never had a single issue with GS PVP. I've whacked a bunch of people. You just have to play it right.

If you want to "assassinate" somebody just antagonize them into action first.

AestheticDeath
07-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Just make sure its not in town, and use archery from hiding, or that shadow/melee CMAN manuever, they will never know who killed them.

GMs will know, but unless they are watching, or the dead guy gets them to tell them, which they shouldnt be allowed to do... your about free and clear.

Danical
07-09-2008, 04:13 PM
I thought there was already an Assassin's guild or something.

For some reason I want to say Michiko or someone knows or spoke about it a while back.

Also, it's conceivable, when the Mail System comes out, that you could mail to your target your intentions OOC'ly to get consent without having to go through the whole song and dance of tracking them down in said town and wasting your time when they don't consent.

Xeromist
07-11-2008, 12:31 AM
I've always wondered: To what extent is assassination permitted, in the game?

Tsin used to do that stuff.

...probably not the best example.

Michaelous
07-11-2008, 04:16 AM
coming from someone who has been busted numerous times for hiring big people to kill little people that still happend to be bigger then me, it is defintely not allowed. Although it should be allowed, and last time i played the game it is very very very nancy.