PDA

View Full Version : I'm torn

Pallon
01-01-2004, 06:19 AM
I have a day of skill migration left and I can't figure out which training plan to commit to for my 42 train bard. On the one hand I have the polearm user, which works okay and I figure is the least likely to get fucked over in the long run. On the other I have a brawler/1x ambusher that is kind of fun and works pretty well with a sai, voln fu, and whipping out a mandolin to blow shit up with disruption. However I'd rather not get screwed down the road. Anyone at the higher levels care to comment on the viability of brawling weapons, Voln Fu and/or 1x ambushing?

Edaarin
01-01-2004, 10:48 AM
If Voln Fu stays as effective as it is I'd be surprised. One can always hope. As for 1x ambushing, unless you're training in hiding as well there's not really much of a point.

Latrinsorm
01-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Just remember that they probably won't tweak Fu until that fancy new unarmed combat system shows up. Which is Phase IIish, and you'd probably be better off being a monk, but I bet you could make it work.

Xcalibur
01-01-2004, 06:54 PM
Speculation:

Kick's rt was one second slower than punch in voln fu, right?

So it's easy to say that there'll be special unarmed attack that will have effects and will be slower or faster.

Question: Since brawling is out, is it safe to say that unarmed should NOT have MORE DF than most brawling?

If so, how will it be "better" than voln fu?

Latrinsorm
01-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Xcalibur
Speculation:

Kick's rt was one second slower than punch in voln fu, right?

So it's easy to say that there'll be special unarmed attack that will have effects and will be slower or faster.

Question: Since brawling is out, is it safe to say that unarmed should NOT have MORE DF than most brawling?

If so, how will it be "better" than voln fu?

First question: I have no idea. Probably.

Second question: Because you won't have to join sucky Voln or use favor for it. Also, there will be a hell of a lot more diversity than throw/punch/kick. I bet it'll be something like the Modus Operandi system, although that was a bit excessive (and unrealistic).

Artha
01-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Explain to those of us who don't play crappy games...how was the MO system run?

Latrinsorm
01-02-2004, 02:50 AM
Awesomely. MO rulz, DR sux. Nah nah.

What they (meaning one guy with too much time on his hands who eventually got fired/quit for pissing off the boss) (I <3 parentheses) did was have about 30 unarmed moves right off the bat spread out between four categories: kick, punch, throw, grapple; each with their own relevant skill (you'll never guess the names of the skills). Basically they were akin to weapons; in that you would do more damage with the ones that had longer roundtimes in most cases.

They also had some specialty ones that would, for instance, immediately move you into close range in their engagement system. I don't see that becoming relevant in GS anytime soon, of course. They also had about 15 that you could only learn by reading a manual (which took ungodly amounts of time). Manuals were pretty rare, or maybe no one wanted to give me one.

Easy system to use, especially since they gave you a list of all available moves. Lacked a bit of flavor without k00l messaging, you basically got a severe hit or a minimal hit and that was the end of it, whether you hit with a hammer or a knee or a powerbomb (swear to God) or a hip toss was irrelevant.