PDA

View Full Version : Affliction Banned

Bregus
07-08-2008, 11:30 AM
This is all from mmajunkie.com

Affliction was perfectly content with being an apparel company.

With its fashion-forward T-shirts appearing on the backs of actors, rock stars and mixed martial artists, the Signal Hill, Calif.-based company had carved out a niche for its label in pop culture. In less than three years, the Affliction brand had become synonymous with cool, with its artistic prints spotted at movie premieres, in magazines and on plenty of UFC fighters.

That is until the UFC banned the brand. So, Affliction turned to produce its own fights – a move not even in its business plan prior to the UFC dust-up.

The debut Affliction event, dubbed "Banned" and featuring a main event between longtime PRIDE champion Fedor Emelianko and former UFC title-holder Tim Sylvia, will feature a broadcasting team of play-by-play man Jay Glazer and color commentators "Big" John McCarthy and Frank Trigg.

Affliction announced the team for the July 19 event, which takes place at Honda Arena in Anaheim, Calif., earlier today.

Also on the card is Ben Rothwell vs. Andrei Arlovski, Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo, Matt Linland vs. Fabio Negao, and Renato Babalu Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead. Looks like Dana White fucked up again, helping to launch competition that looks even stronger than Elite XC. So at this point the UFC could be on CBS with Fedor if they would be willing to give a little. Anyways.. I'm buying this ppv for sure, thought I'd show it to you guys since it's flying a little under the radar.

http://www.afflictionclothing.com/banned_july19/

Doughboy
07-08-2008, 11:33 AM
That actually looks like a pretty good card. Should be some entertaining fights during this one.

Fallen
07-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Tim Sylvia is a talentless waste of space. That being said, my friend may get this card and record the free card the UFC is putting on Spike as competition for Affliction

Why do you think Silva is fighting out of his weight class? He had to take this fight on short notice. Still, if it leads to Bisping Silva it will all be worth it.

Doughboy
07-08-2008, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a Bisping v Silva. That'd be entertaining as hell.

Fallen
07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Fights I would kill a small child to see:

GSP Silva
Couture Fedor

Bregus
07-08-2008, 11:50 AM
I've been waiting years to see Couture vs. Fedor.

Bregus
07-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Silva is way too big for GSP.

Kerranger
07-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Id rather see Nogueira vs Couture before Couture vs Fedor. Im skeptical as to whether Randy would beat him. and he kinda took the dick way out by retiring before fighting him. You cant really say youve beaten the best of the best without fighting Nog, in my opinion. Couture is an outstanding fighter, but Nog is a true machine. Itll never happen, but its what id like to see.

Kerranger
07-20-2008, 02:22 AM
Though now that Sylvia got beat like a slave in half a minute flat, and Couture and Fedor have both expressed their wish to fight each other, looks like thats whats coming up. A pay-per-view and box office dream.

Bregus
07-20-2008, 03:18 AM
Awesome card. Rothwell vs. Arlovski was the fight of the night, I'm pumped to see the pitbull fighting like that again. I watched the UFC too.. I guess you get what you pay for.. Affliction was $40 better for sure.

I'm not sure but didn't Couture quit the UFC because they wouldn't line up a fight with Fedor? I think he has one fight left on his contract with them.. what's he got to do to get out of it?

Kerranger
07-20-2008, 03:36 AM
Couture quit because of a number of reasons. His contract with UFC ended today, but he signed a no compete clause, and cant fight until later this year sometime. He wanted to fight Fedor, but at the time Fedor was in Pride FC, and Dana White doesnt promote with other orgs. UFC bought pride, but Fedor didnt want to sign with them, so he left. So along with all the other stuff he had problems with regarding UFC, Randy basically saw his chance to be the best going down the drain, as he wouldnt fight him if Fedor wasnt in the UFC, due to them not being able to fight in events other than UFC.

Btw. I think Randy Couture is rethinking his idea altogether, at this point. He looked kinda...eh. That was a first rate ass kicking of a highly ranked heavyweight, in seconds. Ive been a fan of Fedors for a while, and ive seen him do some crazy shit. I knew he would win, but god damn.

Stunseed
07-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah, Sylvia got beat like he owed that man some rent. I don't see how Couture believes he can stay with Fedor.

Skeeter
07-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Couture is a shit-ton better than over the hill Sylvia.

Fallen
07-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Couture did the same thing to Sylvia, he just didn't finish his choke.