PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth tweak?

Asha
07-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Does this sound like it will work to anyone here? I found it posted on an old forum but with no comments.
I wanted to check with those who're far brighter than me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a little guide on how to free up a lot of bandwidth and increase your internet speeds:

Windows uses 20% of your bandwidth Here's how to Get it back

A nice little tweak for XP. Microsoft reserve 20% of your available bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start-->Run-->type "gpedit.msc" without the "

This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy-->Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Network-->QOS Packet Scheduler-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab :

"By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default."

So the trick is to ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO.

This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.

ALSO:
Start--> run-->type in "regedit" without ".
Go to the folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\VxD\MS TCP
Find the string called DefaultRcvWindow . Edit the number to 64240 (Original value is 373360)

I have tested on XP Pro, and 2000
other o/s not tested.

Sean of the Thread
07-05-2008, 06:51 PM
What were your results?

Asha
07-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Not going to mess with it till I hear if it's garbage or not. Thought maybe someone would recognise the procedure.

Sean of the Thread
07-05-2008, 07:03 PM
It's nothing I've heard of but my certs are almost 10 years old now and I've been out of the field for four years. However I'm going to look into it.

Asha
07-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks alot mate, appreciate it.

Sean of the Thread
07-05-2008, 07:08 PM
I've got four boxes on my workbench right now so it won't be very soon.

Maybe Drew2 or Wayne might have some current info on the shit.

The Ponzzz
07-05-2008, 07:11 PM
That's not even possible on a vista machine. I would not fuck with regedit and change the registry. However, can't hurt trying the other setting (not available on my machine). Do a few speed tests before hand, do the trick and try again. If you see no change, put it back to 20%.

Kranar
07-05-2008, 07:12 PM
So... how to explain this...

Basically, unless you have very good reason to do so, you should not tweak with the QoS Scheduler.

What it does is ensure that if push comes to shove, and an application requires immediate bandwidth to carry out a task, then Windows will reserve a portion of your computer's bandwidth for that task. If, however, no application requires this bandwidth, then nothing is reserved.

The QoS is a publicly documented service provided by Windows to any application, not just Microsoft apps. Disabling it will only hinder the performance of applications that require it, and is unlikely to improve the performance of applications that do not require it.

The Ponzzz
07-05-2008, 07:16 PM
So Kranar, would that mean that at certain points, you can become laggy if there is a need for the bandwidth. I ask because I notice a few of the Vista features on my computer speak with my network and I get laggy.

If so, just good to know why it happens. I never knew of a QoS Scheduler.

Sean of the Thread
07-05-2008, 07:21 PM
For my personal interest I only see this useful in FPS games (my fave) with no other apps running. Gonna investigate.

*Oh and the only reason I left Kranar out of the "ask" them portion was I thought he was too busy living the life at google and getting rich on his algorithm setup on teh market. So no offense intended.

Drew2
07-05-2008, 09:11 PM
If, however, no application requires this bandwidth, then nothing is reserved.

You guys missed the point. This bandwidth is not always reserved, only when an application requests it. So if you're running one game with nothing else (major) in the background, your bandwidth will not be hindered.

The Ponzzz
07-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Thank you Drew. I wasn't clear on the QoS shit. Good to know.