PDA

View Full Version : Where to sell a ring RL?

Czeska
12-30-2003, 04:06 PM
I'm preparing to sell my diamond engagement ring/wedding band. But I really don't know the best place to do so.

Anyone have any clue?

Moist Happenings
12-30-2003, 04:08 PM
Do you know what store it came from? They might buy it back. Otherwise try ebay.

Czeska
12-30-2003, 04:09 PM
I was told by a girl who works for a jeweler that you won't get much at a jewelry store. If they can't buy from you at less than cost it's not worth it to them.

I thought of Ebay, but it makes me twitchy.

Moist Happenings
12-30-2003, 04:10 PM
Well, i'd still say ebay is your best choice as far as getting a decent price for it. A pawnshop will give you even less for it than a jeweler.

[Edited on 12-30-2003 by Neff]

Czeska
12-30-2003, 04:18 PM
Could be.

Now.. anyone able to give me good ebay advice?

Moist Happenings
12-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Take lots of pictures. The more the better. Don 't bother with a bolded add, but get an ad with a picture next to the listing on the regular page. (the thumbnail option). It should do pretty well. Just be as descriptive as possible, and note any flaws or lack thereof.

Parkbandit
12-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Has it been appraised? The real value in your ring is the diamond.. so just about any large jewelry operation will buy it just for the stone. If you have the papers on it's appraisal, even better.

Worse comes to worse... get an appraisal on it now and then take it to a Pawnshop. You might be able to get something decent for it.

12-30-2003, 05:29 PM
um return it the man who paid for it?

Tendarian
12-30-2003, 06:10 PM
I agree with Edine on this,if the guy bought it returning it to him is the way to go. Unless you are purposely trying to piss him off,then definately sell it on ebay and email the link to the guy just to rub salt in.

12-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Then fuck up his car. That'll piss him off.

Tendarian
12-30-2003, 06:35 PM
Yes but thats illegal. The point is to push as much as you can without going over hoping they do have a fit and do something stupid. Or at least thats my goal in my passive agressive world.

Souzy
12-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by The Edine
um return it the man who paid for it?

Only give it back if he asks for it back.

12-30-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Lady Daina
As to Edine, at least in my case, we lived together and paid everything together, so there was no 'he paid for it' crap. Not to mention, if in her case the man did actually pay for it, he GAVE it to her, it was a gift. If she no longer wants it, she doesn't owe him jack, she is free to sell it or do with it as she chooses. Get your head out of the 50's or wherever it is, eh? :P

GOLD DIGGER!

Souzy
12-30-2003, 06:44 PM
I'll kill Edine for you Diana, I'll kung fu him to death. Hey, I still have my diamond engagement and diamond anniversary rings. I gave them back to him more than once and everytime he's given them back to me. I won't sell them though, heh.

Moist Happenings
12-30-2003, 06:48 PM
wtf is it with you women and diamonds? get a REAL precious gem. Diamonds aren't actually rare. and there are prettier stones.

Souzy
12-30-2003, 06:50 PM
It's common for engagement rings. Besides he picked out the rings and surprised me with them. Had it been my choice I would've chosen an emerald and diamond engagement ring.

Ravenstorm
12-30-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Neff
wtf is it with you women and diamonds? get a REAL precious gem. Diamonds aren't actually rare. and there are prettier stones.

So true. Not that I will ever be buying someone an engagement ring but if I were going to it would definitely not be diamonds. I strongly object to giving my money to deBeers and their ad campaign to convince people that there's some value in their product.

Now rubies, sapphires and emeralds have real value and are truly scarce. Diamonds are about as common as grains of sand.

Raven

HarmNone
12-30-2003, 07:18 PM
A retail jeweler will usually mark up their product from 100% to 200%, and that is after the wholesaler (sometimes jewelery goes through several wholesalers, each of whom adds a bit to the original manufacturer's price) adds his markup. That is why you will not get much for anything you try to sell to them. Pawn shops are much the same, and sometimes worse, as they can buy from people who are so desperate for money they will take very little for valuable pieces.

I would agree that E-Bay would probably be your best bet. Another thing might be to try your local market through newspaper ads, if you do not mind dealing with telephone calls. If you can, you might get more for the item if you wait until just before Valentine's Day to sell it. ;)

HarmNone

Czeska
12-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Just for the record..

I'm going through the final steps of a divorce. He kept his rings, I kept mine.
So the fact that LEGALLY once an engagement ring is given, it's the property of the woman, we agreed on keeping them anyhow.

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna have it "appraised" at the pawn shop (it's a high end place, but pawn nonetheless) and start ebay bidding at that, see what happens.

12-30-2003, 08:23 PM
daina you have known me long enough I HOPE, to know that im just messing around

Betheny
12-30-2003, 09:42 PM
Go e-bay. A pawnshop will rip you off.

The Cat In The Hat
12-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Neff

I picked out my own engagement ring, it has a tiny TINY diamond, one because the ring isnt anything but a symbol and diamonds just arent this girls best friend, and two because I have small hands and I think putting something huge on my fingers is just wrong.

My wedding ring is a band, dont know what to call it but it's a gold band thats etched, and there's silver in the etchings. very pretty but again, not a huge diamond/expensive thing.

We're not "rich" but we certainly could have spent more than we did on my rings.

Point of this post is, not all women are diamond dogs. I have I think 6 other rings, all rubies and emeralds and such that I dont even wear, that I only keep now for my daughter to have when shes older.

Cat

The Cat In The Hat
12-30-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Czeska
Just for the record..

I'm going through the final steps of a divorce. He kept his rings, I kept mine.
So the fact that LEGALLY once an engagement ring is given, it's the property of the woman, we agreed on keeping them anyhow.

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna have it "appraised" at the pawn shop (it's a high end place, but pawn nonetheless) and start ebay bidding at that, see what happens.

Be careful with E-bay, seems every time I look they go for about as much as a pawnshop would pay. (I thought about selling my emerald there once but the prices put me off)

Cat

Betheny
12-30-2003, 10:22 PM
I have diamond stud earrings, first diamonds I've ever owned. My ex husband gave them to me for our first christmas together. Other than that, there was my wedding ring, and then a heart pendant he got me for valentine's one year.

I wear the earrings every day and never take them out, because they are the only pair of earrings I can wear consistently without irritating my ears.

Other than that, I'm a stainless steel kind of girl.

Moist Happenings
12-31-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Lalana
It's common for engagement rings. Besides he picked out the rings and surprised me with them. Had it been my choice I would've chosen an emerald and diamond engagement ring.

I know it's common in engagement rings. In fact, deBeers releases diamonds into the US every year based on the predicted number of engagements. Did you know that it's ILLEGAL for jewelry stores to purchase diamonds in the United States?

deBeers, a cartel that has a monopoly on the industry(which is illegal) controls all of the diamonds. The one time a country tried to strike out on its own and sell their diamonds instead of selling to deBeers, deBeers flooded the market with that type of diamond, completely screwing over their market. I'm torn on the issue..I mean..if a girl I was planning to propose to REALLY liked diamonds over other stones, then I suppose I might buy one..But i'll never buy a diamond if it's not specifically asked for. And even then it pains me.

Czeska
12-31-2003, 10:57 AM
I was checking out Ebay this morning. Gods, but it looks like a huge pain in the ass.
Who here's ever gonna get engaged and wants to buy a really nice ring? <joking>
I am an immediate gratification kind of person, and this drives me nuts. I'm almost willing to hit a few stores and take less just to get the money, and, moreso, get this overwith.

Blah.

peam
12-31-2003, 11:33 AM
/never buying a diamond.

Read up on DeBeers sometime. There should be some interesting/disgusting stuff about those wacky Africans and their diamond mines in there too.

Czeska
12-31-2003, 11:42 AM
Recycle diamonds! Put DeBeers out of business!

peam
12-31-2003, 11:46 AM
Actually, that's a good point. Buying a diamond secondhand would be the way to go, as no profit goes towards that evil empire.

I'd suggest Ebay too. If you can't get what you're looking for there, try an ad in the local newspaper.

Soulpieced
01-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Yeah, the whole deBeers thing is an interesting one. Microsoft x 2.

Naina
01-02-2004, 02:55 AM
I'm a diamond kinda girl :D But but, I fall back on the excuse that it's also my birthstone . . . I really only want a diamond for an engagement ring though, otherwise I'm a fan of amethyst and sapphires. Then again I normally don't buy jewelry, I make it - ah the joys of bein an Art major! :smilegrin: