PDA

View Full Version : Unable to install to registry?

Kyra231
06-25-2008, 01:30 AM
I have a clean slate on my pc no addons, etc. Installed lich, tried for the install to registry & I get 'unable to find LauncherPath string in win.ini!

I'm left clueless here, help files didn't seem to cover this directly or I'm not seeing it at least.

:puzzled:
~K.

Nvm, fixed it.

Kamkor
08-08-2008, 05:06 PM
I got the same message, but I did it two more times and it actualy installed.

DansMtnVue
08-09-2008, 05:12 AM
Since we're here...

I'd love to use lich, but have had a series of failures getting it to run on my main PC at work.

Most common is that I can't get it to install to the registry. I clean everything off... Psinet, the launcher, everything. Wax the registry clean of everything even slightly GS related. Then load the launcher to the default location. Install Lich. Try to install lich to the registry, get the error listed above. Try as I might, no luch. Try to launch the game with the Force Stormfront shortcut on my start bar, and it freezes. The only effect I see on my screen is the hourglass for a few seconds, then it disappears and no GS of any kind.

To make it a little MORE fun... I installed PsiNet after one of my attempts at lich, and it completely wrecked StormFront. I would get an error every time, and was reduced (IMO) to using the Wizard, which would load fine. I uninstalled everything, cleaned the registry, and tried to load just the launcher... no lich, no Psinet, and log into Stormfront. No dice. Dead in the water. I had to do an XP Save Point reload to get it working again, and I've been scared to try lich again since.

Anyone have any tips or things I might be missing? I'm running Vista, and would be perfectly happy to dump PsiNet for lich...

Imperarx
08-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Install it to registry twice. You'll get this error, but it will actually have worked anyways. Login at that point, and make sure it's working with just lich. If it is, you're good to stop, or you can go on and install psinet.

One thing to be aware of is that psinet seems to mess up the default directory entry for the launcher on Vista. What this means is that if you install psinet, even if you uninstall it, when you go to reinstall the launched you'll have to manually point it to C:\Program Files\Simu. Otherwise it will try to install to C:\Psinet\Psinet2.exe\Launcher.exe, which causes some weird errors.

GSKynthelig
08-11-2008, 03:53 PM
I was just curious if it was just the double install that fixed the issue because I tried this and it did not work.

I am not sure why I can not get lich to work on this laptop but I was able to get it working on my home machine with just a couple snags.

Swami71
02-03-2009, 05:42 AM
Just got a new computer (Vista) and can't get Lich to INSTALL TO REGISTRY. I can get lich to work by using the Start/all programs/lich/lich (force stromfront mode). But if I do that I can't get psinet to work with it. Any ideas on how to get it to install to the registry?

It says this when I try to install to registry:

open: permission denied
modification of system registry successful.
See the Lich direction.txt file for further info

Mala04
02-03-2009, 02:34 PM
I've gotten that message every time. And it still seems to install to the registry.

Ignot
02-03-2009, 02:36 PM
What kind of johnson rods are you using?

Swami71
02-03-2009, 10:24 PM
I've gotten that message every time. And it still seems to install to the registry.

It doesn't work after I get that messaging. Only when I use the FORCE STORMFRONT ICON. Anyone?

What kind of johnson rods are you using?

Can't find the johnson rod? Any suggestions?

Drunken Durfin
04-28-2009, 12:45 PM
It says this when I try to install to registry:

open: permission denied
modification of system registry successful.
See the Lich direction.txt file for further info

I am having the same problem with my desktop (running XP). Laptop is working fine with both Lich and Psinet.

First I get the "can't find LauncherPath" crap, then click install to registry again and get the quote above. Lich only launches if I use the Force Stormfront icon.

I would be find with this, however, after installing Psinet using the Force Stormfront icon just makes everything hang. The Psinet window comes up and then nothing.

Anyone know the registry key that needs to be edited and what it needs to say? Really getting tired of fucking with this.

Edit:
When I click the "remove from registry" icon I get this:

"fatal: corrupt launcher-uninstall.dat file."

Stanley Burrell
04-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Safe Mode since Win.ini is a bitch.

Edit: Disable all your firewall/security settings. Win.ini hurts you in the colon.

Drunken Durfin
04-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Safe Mode since Win.ini is a bitch.

Edit: Disable all your firewall/security settings. Win.ini hurts you in the colon.

This machine was running Lich/Psinet just fine until I did this uninstall/reinstall. The current settings are fine.

Drunken Durfin
04-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Okay, I got it working. Here are the steps:

1) Get a drink
2) Uninstall EVERYTHING (SGE, Launcher, SF, Wiz, Psinet, Lich)
3) Go through your registry and delete everything that has SIMU, Psinet, Lich or Launcher.exe (be careful with the last one, some other programs have a Launcher.exe, make sure it is down the Simu Path)
4) Install Launcher
5) Install SGE
6) Install SF (or wiz if you refuse to migrate past the windows 3.1 era)
7) Log into the game to make sure everything is working right so far and let everything update.
8) Log out
9) Start Task Manager and Kill SGETask.exe (which is what causes the Lich install to registry to get all jacked up apparently)
10) Install Lich
11) Click Install Lich to Registry icon
12) Log in again, just to make sure
13) Log out
14) Install Psinet

Now everything should be working fine. At least, that is what it took on my system.

Donquix
04-28-2009, 09:41 PM
I'll add, at some point when i was installing things, twice a backup of my hosts file was created. I believe lich does this for some reason. Something created a "hosts.bak" or "hosts1.bak" in my c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc" folder

This file caused lich to hang, and during connection attempts the sympton was psinet hanging at "Waiting for FE"

If you are stuck at waiting for FE with PSI and Lich installed, check to see if you have a hosts*.bak file in the above folder, rename it something else or move it.

If that's not it check the LIch_Debug.txt file in the lich directory, as if you have both installed and are hanging at waitnig for FE it's likely a lich issue, not a psinet issue.

The other cause of psinet hanging at this step is running it with lich and psinet being installed in a folder with spaces in it, it's a lich problem handling the spaces. Make sure psinet is in a directory with no spaces (i.e. c:\psinet)

DaCapn
04-29-2009, 12:01 PM
I'll add, at some point when i was installing things, twice a backup of my hosts file was created. I believe lich does this for some reason.

Lich intercepts your traffic to the game server and forwards it along. When you run lich, it listens on port 4900 and adds an entry for the gs3.simutronics.play.net domain to the hosts file, directing it to the 127.0.0.1 (the localhost). More precisely, it backs up your hosts file to hosts.bak (perhaps intelligently with numbering if the file already exists) and replaces it with a new file with ONLY the localhost and gs3.simutronics.play.net entries. Once a client has connected to lich, it discards the new hosts file and restores the backup.

I'm not sure what precautions Shaelun takes with this exactly. I've never had a problem with the hosts file shuffle that lich does, but you could imagine that doing a couple things that similarly modify the hosts file at the same time may have some unusual effects. I'm not sure what Psinet does, for instance.

Donquix
04-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Lich intercepts your traffic to the game server and forwards it along. When you run lich, it listens on port 4900 and adds an entry for the gs3.simutronics.play.net domain to the hosts file, directing it to the 127.0.0.1 (the localhost). More precisely, it backs up your hosts file to hosts.bak (perhaps intelligently with numbering if the file already exists) and replaces it with a new file with ONLY the localhost and gs3.simutronics.play.net entries. Once a client has connected to lich, it discards the new hosts file and restores the backup.

I'm not sure what precautions Shaelun takes with this exactly. I've never had a problem with the hosts file shuffle that lich does, but you could imagine that doing a couple things that similarly modify the hosts file at the same time may have some unusual effects. I'm not sure what Psinet does, for instance.

I thought it was something like that but i wasn't aware it was changing the hosts file every login. That's kind of annoying.

DaCapn
04-30-2009, 03:19 AM
I thought it was something like that but i wasn't aware it was changing the hosts file every login. That's kind of annoying.

That's probably the least invasive and easiest way to do it. The only time anything unusual is happening is between the moment you start the lich daemon and the moment it catches your connection to the game.

A big strength to the way lich operates is that it is independent in every way of the client. You could run lich on a separate machine on your network, edit your hosts file on the client to point gs3.simutronics.play.net to its IP, and use lich that way. On the surface it sounds rather strange, but this might be the only way for mac users to run lich (short of rolling up your sleeves and getting it to compile properly).

I don't know what Psinet does exactly (never bothered, and currently can't) but to accomplish this goal it probably does something similar. Changes to the host file in this way are atypical. If you're initiating this kind of behavior with two programs at once, you should expect strange results.